Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds Zamnesia
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | Next > | Last >
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleZiran
The Hero of Time
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Temple of Time
Updated PF Tek Guide * 113
    #24179086 - 03/20/17 10:23 PM (7 years, 9 days ago)

Updated PF-Tek Guide 2023 Edition

Before we begin I personally feel that we need an update on the Pf-tek guide. This is that guide. Those old guides don't use an SAB or they use a Glovebox. Now it is to be noted that you don't technically need an SAB for Pf-Tek it's just recommended and can increase your success rate. It is also good practice for those who are going to eventually get into agar. Update 2.0 includes the usage of the water tub tek over the SGFC. Added links and pictures from Mateja :super:

===============================================================================

Step 1: Gather Supplies

We need the following items

• Vermiculite - Verm
  • Brown Rice Flour - BRF
  • 4 oz or 8 oz mason jars
  • Hammer and Nail
  • Pressure Cooker or Steamer
  • SAB - Still Air Box
  • Fruiting Chamber - Mateja's Water Tub or SGFC or Monotub
  • Alcohol Lamp, Torch, or lighter
  • Tin Foil
  • Spray Bottle
  • 70% ISO Alcohol
  • Soap & Water Spray Bottle
  • 5000k to 6500k Light Bulb
  • 24 hour timer 12 on 12 off timer
  • Spore Syringe or Liquid Culture or Liquid Inoculate

Optional - These are for those of you choosing to make a SGFC

• Drill and a 1/4" Drill Bit or Soldering Iron (Making Holes in your SGFC)
  • Perlite

Step 2: Lets make some Lids & Load some Jars

It's time to load up our jars. The ratio is 2:1:1 - That means 2 parts Verm 1 Part BRF 1 Part Water. You can do any ammount you want as long as you stick to this ratio. So the up scaling is 4:2:2 8:4:4 and so on. I use cups. So in my case it'd be 2 cups verm 1 cup BRF and 1 cup water. If you are doing edibles here is an edibles formula by CH Hell. Edible Cakes

Procedure:

1. Prep our lids.
This is very simple, Take a hammer and a nail and drive 2 or 4 holes in the lids of your jars. I do mine like so.

I have found that it really doesn't matter if you have 2 or 4 holes. The only difference really is inoculation points. CBK Suggests using 1 hole in the center of the lid so you use less spore solution and once you see colonization you know the cake is almost ready.

2. Take two cups of verm and place it in a mixing container.

We want to achieve an ideal water content. Known as Field Capacity. I usually squeeze my verm until only a few drops of water comes out. I find that with these measurements though Field Capacity is met after adding the BRF

Quote:

Ziran said:

Once you add the BRF in it absorbs the excess water usually. I'd do a squeeze after adding the brf and mixing throughly. see whatcha get then

The purpose of those verm squeezes is to help new people identify what field capacity looks like. Cause its gonna look the same for Hpoo, coir, cpoo ect. the only difference will be the amount of water each material can hold.

Way Over Field Capacity

Over Field Capacity

At Field Capacity

3. Add 1 cup of water to the mixing bowl and mix thoroughly.

4. Add 1 cup of Brown Rice Flour and mix thoroughly

5. Load up our jars with our BRF-Verm Mixture to the band line. When loading them, don't pack the mixture down. It needs to be light a fluffy.

6. Add our dry verm layer

To get it nice and even I use my finger and swipe it across after filling the jar over full like in the gif below. :thumbup:

7. Add Lid and Foil em up

cronicr's container Method

Instead of using mason jars, you can follow conicer's method --->here<----

Borrowed his images and he mixes everything just like I do in the above steps, except he loads them into these modified containers from the dollar store.

Then he preps his lids with a soldering iron. One hole in each corner, and one in the center.

Then he loads them up

Adds some dry verm ontop.

And levels it out and puts the lid on.

Quote:

cronicer said:

Now with normal jars I would simply cover with foil and pressure cook it but pp5 containers tend to condensate a lot so with these I always put micropore tape over the holes, with this I skip the foil all together and just pressure cook for 60 minutes.
I have fruited these in food saver bags shotgun fruiting chambers shoeboxes ECT I've even just put another container and used like mini dub tubs.

It's time for sterilization

Step 3: Sterilizing

Steaming - Taken from this guide here EvilMushroom666's Take on BRF Cakes

Procedure:

1. Line the bottom of your pot with spare jar rings as shown.
2. Add water to the top of your layer of jar rings. You want 1-2 inches of water.

3. Place your layer of folded tinfoil on top of the layer of jar rings.

4. Next place your substrate jars on to the tinfoil and make sure they are not in direct contact with the water, as started before it is the steam that will do the sterilization.

5. Place your TIGHT fitting lid on and turn your burner to high. Once the water starts boiling turn the burner down to a simmer and start your 90-120 minute timer. I prefer 120 minutes personally as it gives me a higher rate of success.

6. If you are not using a tight fitting lid a lot of steam will escape and your pot will tend to boil dry. This will warp the bottom of your pot ruining it. I cannot emphasis how important a tight fitting lid is. If you need to add more water at anytime, use hot tap water and carefully pour it in your pot. Keep a close eye on your pot, work sober, be careful and add water if and when needed.

7. After the time is up leave the lid on, remove from heat and let cool overnight.

Pressure Cooking

Procedure:

1. Place your trivet or metal rack (I use a combo of both) into the bottom of your PC and fill with 3 quarts of water for a 23 quart presto. (Refer to your manual if your PC is a different style.)

2. Place your jars on the metal rack above the water line.

3. Follow your pressure cookers instructions to bring it up to pressure (15 PSI) and let it cook for 45 to 60 minutes.

4. After your pressure cooker cycle has finished turn off your burner and allow to cool for at least 8 hours or just let it sit overnight.

Step 4: Inoculation

1. Prep our SAB for work. How to prep your SAB for work

2. Load up our SAB with our jars.

3. Flame sterilize our spore syringe and inoculate each hole. I usually inoculate two jars then re-flame sterilize my syringe needle.

4. And into the jar the needle goes. Try to angle the needle a bit, so when you slide it in it goes up against the glass in between the verm layer and the glass. I use about a drop or two in each inoculation hole.

We leave the foil off after inoculation for a few reasons.

• The foil blocks Gas Exhange and can cause jars to stall
  • Condensation can form on the foil causing the dry verm layer to fail

Step 5: The Wait - Incubation

This is the longest part of the whole process. The wait. Incubation should take place at 68 to 75 degree's Fahrenheit (20 to 24 Celsius). Germination usually takes about a week and full colonization can range from anywhere from 2 to 4 weeks. I store mine on a shelf in a room, pretty straight forward. Here are some cakes in various stages of the process

Freshly inoculated:

Partially Colonized:

Fully Colonized:

Once they are fully colonized we need to wait about 1 week for consolidation. Then its time to birth the cakes.

Step 6: Birthing, Dunking and Rolling

So, you want to skip the dunk and roll? Well. Heres an experiment of how much water gets absorbed by a BRF cake after different amounts of time Water absoprtion in BRF cakes -[EXPERIMENT] by Mateah

Birthing a cake is pretty straight forward. I take my lid off the jar flip it upside-down over the sink and spank the bottom till it pops out of the jar.
There are various ways to dunk and roll a cake. I do mine like CBK does. In fact heres the link - CBK's Dunk and Roll - Getting Verm to Stick

Below is how Shea25 does her's - Taken from her thread here Pf-tek done right by shea25

1. Birthed the cake

2. Gives her a good rinse.

3. And then she dunks in this type of container. I usually dunk my own cakes for about 20 hours in the jar or in a glad container big enough to hold a few cakes.

4. Then she rolls her cake in verm like so.

How I dunk and roll my cakes

The Dunk

1. Crack open the jar and dump the dry verm layer into the garbage.

2. Birth the cake by spanking the bottom of the jar. It should pop right out with ease.

3. Rinse the remainder of the dry verm layer off.

4. Fill a container big enough for the cake to become fully submerged in. I use these glad containers. You can fit 2 to 3 of the half pints in one of these containers or about 4 or 5 of the small 4 oz jelly jar cakes.

5. Snap the lid on and flip her over if your using these containers. I find that helps with any air pockets.

The Roll

1. Fill a bowl with enough vermiculite to make a "grave".

2. Place the soaking wet cake into the "grave"

3. Bury the cake with vermiculite.

4. Firmly press the vermiculite onto the cake. This will get it to stick.

6. Put that bad boy in your fruiting chamber. - If using a SGFC cut some foil to the exact size of the cake. CBK uses these bottom watering dishes. I use these dishes here ---> Link <---

Step 7.1: Fruiting Time - Water Tub Method

Mateja's Water Tub

Quote:

Mateja said:
This is a simpler version of The Humidity Chamber but it's basically the exact same principle.

Quote:

Mateja said:
After having dunked your colonized cakes for 24h rinse them off quickly and then use hydrated coir to coat the cakes around the sides and on the top. This outer layer should be roughly 5-10mm thick, and the coir shouldn't easily fall of, don't be afraid to press the coir firmly into place when needed, the cakes can handle it just try to make the coir layer around the same thickness for all the cakes. How it can look:

When all cakes have been coated in coir place them in any Water Tub that works for you, as long as it's a 6 sided container with a lid that closes fully. Place a cookie rack or glass jars inside the tub for your cakes sit on and add 1Inch of water. Place the lid back on fully to restrict FAE as much as possible and within hours the fully saturated environment will already have triggered regeneration in all colonies. For as long as >99% humidity is maintained the colony will keep regenerating new myc from all over the surface regardless of whether it has a coir layer to grab on to or not. Here are a few pics to show the transformation after ~48h in a closed Water Tub:

At this point the cakes are ready to fruit so now we'll spray gently 2-3times from at least >3feet above or higher and immediately after I usually stick my head in to take a close look before deciding to give it 3 more sprays and then I inspect again and repeat until I've achieved surface conditions as seen in these pics these pics are the same 3 cakes as in pics above, before and after misting for easy comparison:

After surface conditions like these have been achieved then cakes are ready to go into fruiting conditions which is simply just creating small openings on top by slightly offsetting the lid to leave small openings a few square centimeters per top corned. Looks like this

FAE will cause evaporation to occur slowly so in about 1-5 days you'll need to gently mist to replace the amount of droplets that have vanished in the course of the days.

Simple straight forward, and to the point. Follow the directions above and you can get results like this ---> Water Tub Results <---

Quote:

Mateja said:
Cakes in Water Tub

1/2 pint BRF-vermiculite cakes
1/2 pint Oatmeal-coir cakes

Fruiting Time 7.2 - SGFC Method

The finish line is nearing! If you have already constructed your SGFC lets load those cakes up. If not here is a link to Spitball Jedi's SGFC Tek

Here is a picture of my SGFC and some lighting setups.

Lighting from the side:

If I were to grow in a closet, I would simply do my lighting like so.

Also noted I normally don't begin misting until my freshly dunked cakes have been in my chamber for about 12 to 20 hours. I find this helps with keeping the verm stuck to the cakes a lot better. Mist when the cakes need it, there is no set schedule. If they look dry and aren't glistening with moisture anymore its probably a good time to mist em. Here's a good link for assessing how they should look. The Misted Cake Project by Spitball Jedi.

We also don't want our cakes sitting directly on the perlite. So trim some foil down to the size of the cake or use a mason jar lid. CBK makes these bottom watering dishes to sit his cakes in, or you can use these reusable bottom watering dishes

Freshly Placed in the SGFC

Fruiting Cakes

Here are some baller cakes by Zelikoo

Quote:

Zelikoo said:

Results from cronicer's pf-tek container method.

Quote:

cronicr said:

7.2: Top Fruiting & Bulk in a Mono

There are a few ways to go about fruiting in a monotub, top fruiting jars, and going to bulk. These two threads are examples of each option - Casing PF-Tek Cakes - Top Fruiting in a Monotub & A Tale of 13 Cakes

Step 9: Harvest

This is pretty straight forward. Use an xacto knife or scissors to cut the base of the stipe. Although, some users prefer to twist and pull. Sometimes that pulls off some of the sub with it and I don't recommend that.

After harvest we need to dry out our fruits. Dehydrators are the only way to go on this. Here is a comparison on drying fruits. Mushboy's Dry Fruit Comparison

-= Credits =-

ComeBackKid - Thanks for the bottom water and double dunk tek
Munch - Thanks for the sweet SAB vid
EvilMushroom and Shea25 - Gave me a platform to build on
Mushboy - Dry Fruit Comparison
Mateah - That sexy brf water absorption experiment
Meteja - Dank ass water tub tek
SpitballJedi - SAB, Mono, and SGFC Tek links. As well as Misted cake project
Everyone on the shroomery! :super:

:cheers:

Edited by Ziran (03/29/23 09:40 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisiblemushboyMDiscord
modboy
 User Gallery

Loc: where?
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Updated PF Tek Guide [Re: Ziran] * 6
    #24179176 - 03/20/17 11:17 PM (7 years, 9 days ago)

start to finish:thumbup:

i like that you showed both PC and steaming:thumbup:

glad to know my PC is not the only one all gross on the inside:stoned::thumbup:

Invisiblewowimflabbergasted
supercalifragilistic
 User Gallery

Re: Updated PF Tek Guide [Re: mushboy] * 4
    #24179277 - 03/21/17 12:28 AM (7 years, 9 days ago)

Attaboy...slice those shrooms off. I mainly do it because you don't have to clean them and it takes a lot less time IMO.

--------------------
TempMail | TempPMs
My Guide | MJ Grows

OfflineTravelAgency
The ongoing "wow"

Re: Updated PF Tek Guide [Re: Ziran] * 3
    #24179309 - 03/21/17 12:54 AM (7 years, 9 days ago)

Wow Ziran! Very well put together! Great links as well to SAB and SGFC teks. I'm currently teaching someone brand new and gave them everything to start with, even oyster spores (SGFC is not ideal but they plan to scale up to a GH soon)- I will point them in the direction of this Tek- I feel it addresses most of the concerns regarding PFTek- I would put a little emphasis on the Teks you provided though just to reinforce the now agèd but tried and true methods just so people know even though they too are dated they still work.

Also, unless I skimmed by it and didn't see it I'd try to capture a picture of what it looks like when you reach field capacity of the Vermiculite and Brow Rice Flower- knowing what that looks like is essential to prolific grows. Other than (maybe? Like I said I may have skimmed) that your pictorial is on point.

Thanks for the great beginner's Tek updated to today's standards. I'll keep it as a quick go to for newbies I encounter. Cheers, mate!

:leocheers:

--------------------

Indoor Greenhouse Build 
          Mid Size Mushroom Farm

InvisibleZiran
The Hero of Time

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Updated PF Tek Guide [Re: TravelAgency] * 3
    #24179358 - 03/21/17 01:40 AM (7 years, 9 days ago)

Quote:

TravelAgency said:
Wow Ziran! Very well put together! Great links as well to SAB and SGFC teks. I'm currently teaching someone brand new and gave them everything to start with, even oyster spores (SGFC is not ideal but they plan to scale up to a GH soon)- I will point them in the direction of this Tek- I feel it addresses most of the concerns regarding PFTek- I would put a little emphasis on the Teks you provided though just to reinforce the now agèd but tried and true methods just so people know even though they too are dated they still work.

Also, unless I skimmed by it and didn't see it I'd try to capture a picture of what it looks like when you reach field capacity of the Vermiculite and Brow Rice Flower- knowing what that looks like is essential to prolific grows. Other than (maybe? Like I said I may have skimmed) that your pictorial is on point.

Thanks for the great beginner's Tek updated to today's standards. I'll keep it as a quick go to for newbies I encounter. Cheers, mate!

:leocheers:

Thanks mate. If he's doing oysters make sure he uses saw dust in his BRF cakes. Here's a link from CH Hell. These cakes are pretty good. I remember doing oysters in my SGFC. It was okay. But it wasn't the best.

CH Hell's Edible Cakes

Edited OP - Added in CH Hell Cakes, CBK's Bottom Water Tek and Misted Cake project. Also added a bit at the start about Field Capacity under the loading jars step. Will make a gif of field capacity tommorrow

--------------------
Song Of Healing
:super: Updated Pf Tek Guide :super:
Ziran's Teks
AMU Q&A Thread
The Chinese word for nature is zìrán and it means that of which is of itself.

Edited by Ziran (03/21/17 02:08 AM)

OfflineTravelAgency
The ongoing "wow"

#24179377 - 03/21/17 02:07 AM (7 years, 9 days ago)

Nice link (:lol:)! Thank you! That's a great idea! Oysters need a ton more FAE than an SGFC provides. It took me two dope fans with one ducting outside to get perfect fruits. But it's all my old cube stuff I don't use anymore so if I can get an aspiring Cultivator started hell I'm all in!

InvisibleComebackKid
Multispore Enthusiast
Male User Gallery

Loc: ked in the trunk of a car
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Updated PF Tek Guide [Re: TravelAgency] * 6
    #24179543 - 03/21/17 06:00 AM (7 years, 9 days ago)

May I suggest some improvements for the PF tek?

• Single inoculation hole in the center of lid
    Less spore solution used the better. If the cake begins colonization from the center of the cake then you know by the time it becomes visibly 100% the center will be 100% as well
  • Casing and top fruiting jars
    Less surface area to lose moisture. Yields may be inproved
  • Fruiting in monotubs
    Because monotubs are awesome and low maintenance 
  • Micropore tape
    Extra protection while still allowing GE

--------------------
:amanita2: Substrate surface conditions / Monotub prep and care :sporedrop:

Look around you... Everything you see exists inside the mind.
Consciousness, the awareness that is experiencing this mind,
is peering in from outside the universe.

Our individual experiences are all part of the universe's experience of itself

InvisibleZiran
The Hero of Time

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Updated PF Tek Guide [Re: ComebackKid] * 4
    #24180485 - 03/21/17 01:49 PM (7 years, 9 days ago)

I will top fruit my next set of jars in a monotub and add pictures.

--------------------
Song Of Healing
Ziran's Teks
AMU Q&A Thread

OfflineTravelAgency
The ongoing "wow"

#24180660 - 03/21/17 02:45 PM (7 years, 9 days ago)

Quote:

Ziran said:
I will top fruit my next set of jars in a monotub and add pictures.

I used to spawn the cakes into a bulk sub using a cheese grater (GreenRabbit's idea) and had tremendous success.

--------------------

Indoor Greenhouse Build 
          Mid Size Mushroom Farm

InvisibleZiran
The Hero of Time

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Updated PF Tek Guide [Re: Ziran] * 4
    #24184072 - 03/22/17 05:49 PM (7 years, 7 days ago)

Added in pictures for over field capacity and at field capacity

Those pictures sucked. Added in gif's

--------------------
Song Of Healing
Ziran's Teks
AMU Q&A Thread

Edited by Ziran (03/23/17 10:56 PM)

InvisibleZiran
The Hero of Time

Folding@home Statistics
    #24187384 - 03/23/17 09:31 PM (7 years, 6 days ago)

bump

--------------------
Song Of Healing
Ziran's Teks
AMU Q&A Thread

Invisibletwoisgoo
Strangely Familiar Stranger

Loc: Cosmic Focal Point
    #24187427 - 03/23/17 10:00 PM (7 years, 6 days ago)

Excellent stuff, right in time for my return to this fascinating hobby. Only comment I have is that it's difficult to tell the difference between the over field capacity and at field capacity pictures.

Is it safe to say that if you stick to the ratios for verm/water that you'll be relatively OK?

--------------------
-Two-

InvisibleZiran
The Hero of Time

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Updated PF Tek Guide [Re: twoisgoo] * 3
    #24187459 - 03/23/17 10:21 PM (7 years, 6 days ago)

Quote:

twoisgoo said:
Excellent stuff, right in time for my return to this fascinating hobby. Only comment I have is that it's difficult to tell the difference between the over field capacity and at field capacity pictures.

Is it safe to say that if you stick to the ratios for verm/water that you'll be relatively OK?

Yes. you will be perfecto

Quote:

Ziran said:
We want to achieve an ideal water content. Known as Field Capacity. I usually squeeze my verm until only a few drops of water comes out. I find that with these measurements though Field Capacity is met after adding the BRF

--------------------
Song Of Healing
Ziran's Teks
AMU Q&A Thread

Invisibletwoisgoo

#24187463 - 03/23/17 10:24 PM (7 years, 6 days ago)

Beautiful, sounds good. Many thanks, friend, this thread will be of immeasurable value to me and many others I'm sure.

--------------------
-Two-

InvisibleZiran
The Hero of Time

Folding@home Statistics
    #24187494 - 03/23/17 10:42 PM (7 years, 6 days ago)

I'm about to add in Gif's of Field Capacity. give me 5 minutes

--------------------
Song Of Healing
Ziran's Teks
AMU Q&A Thread

Invisibletwoisgoo

#24187503 - 03/23/17 10:48 PM (7 years, 6 days ago)

Amazing, I was thinking the first time I read through the post that gifs would be a perfect way to demonstrate that. Good stuff. Can't wait to see it.

Does field capacity for Verm translate for other substrates? Coir, for instance?

--------------------
-Two-

InvisibleZiran
The Hero of Time

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Updated PF Tek Guide [Re: twoisgoo] * 4
    #24187512 - 03/23/17 10:52 PM (7 years, 6 days ago)

Different materials hold different amounts of water. but it gives you an idea of what to shoot for. You want only a few drops to come out when you squeeze it. You don't want a river.

--------------------
Song Of Healing
Ziran's Teks
AMU Q&A Thread

Invisibletwoisgoo

#24187521 - 03/23/17 10:57 PM (7 years, 6 days ago)

Gotcha.

Excellent work with the gifs! :thumbup: :thumbup: I love it, helps visualize the concept so much better.

--------------------
-Two-

InvisibleZiran
The Hero of Time

Folding@home Statistics
    #24187524 - 03/23/17 10:58 PM (7 years, 6 days ago)

:thumbup: Glad I could help mate happy :mushroom2:ing

--------------------
Song Of Healing
Ziran's Teks
AMU Q&A Thread

InvisibleZiran
The Hero of Time

Folding@home Statistics
    #24193610 - 03/26/17 01:51 AM (7 years, 4 days ago)

Bumperino. - Added updated Field Capacity pictures yesterday. Those jars I inoced in the tutorial are taking off as well. Gonna spawn them to bulk and add that into the tut later. Gonna top fruit them to show how that's done.

--------------------
Song Of Healing
Ziran's Teks
AMU Q&A Thread

Edited by Ziran (04/07/17 04:43 AM)

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | Next > | Last >

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale