Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineRoms
Universal Stranger

Recovering Addict Considering Mushrooms After 3 Years of Sobriety
    #24147998 - 03/09/17 03:55 AM (7 years, 22 days ago)

Hello everyone,

this is my first post on this forum, I have recently joined after lurking for a while seeking information from people who are in a similar position to me.

A small bit of background, I was a polydrug abuser for much of my life, the main drugs I abused were opiates, ketamine, GBL, benzos and alcohol. I finally ended up going to rehab three years ago after I had started using a lot of heroin and began rapidly getting worse. Dont get me wrong my drug use was not all doom and gloom, when I was young it was fun, but I came to the realisation that my use was very different to the people around me, I would wake up the next day feeling the need to escape reality once again.

So here I am, I have put all the drugs aside (clean from drugs and alcohol for 3 years) and I am now really enjoying my life, I am not your classic AA/NA meetings type addict, I did the 12 steps, went to some meetings but I genuinely do not feel the need to do these things any more, It is all about knowing yourself and learning how to make the most of your passions and love for life.

So here is my predicament, I am considering weather I can take myself out of my controlled sober state of mind by using mushrooms, I am looking to do this for a purely spiritual and learning experience (I am not in denial about this). I would be lying if I said im not scared, its been so long and I treat these things with much respect, I am also fearful that for any reason it would trigger my addictive behaviour or make me feel guilty that I did them, although I don't consider doing mushrooms a relapse. I would never consider doing anything synthetic or chemical any more, it would have to be natural and grown from the ground, that is important to me.

After searching long and hard on the internet I have not really found any one in a similar position to me, a lot of people who have commented on the matter have only been sober for a short amount of time, I think it takes a long time to be ready to consider using psychedelics. I will say that I have experience with psychedelics (DMT, Mushrooms, LSD and a handful of Alexander Shulgins creations etc)

Any help/feedback would be very much appreciated, I would love to be able to feel in tune with the universe once again and to refresh my mind once again, I feel like it needs to be done.

Edited by Roms (03/09/17 04:03 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineEclipse3130
Servant of the Fungi
Male User Gallery

Loc: PNW
Re: Recovering Addict Considering Mushrooms After 3 Years of Sobriety [Re: Roms]
    #24148021 - 03/09/17 04:33 AM (7 years, 22 days ago)

That's awesome to hear you've taken the time to think about Mushrooms for healing.

I'm sure by now you know most addiction is a mindstate - it will be best if you are going to use Mushrooms as properly as you can, by dosing higher and much less frequently than smaller, more frequent doses. By dosing high it always usually negates you from wanting to go back any time soon, as you usually find what you've been seeking - Mushrooms are not physically addictive, but anything can be psychologically addictive.

Worse case scenario if you were to abuse Psychedelics - if your conscious was clean - you'd have a bad trip due to your abuse which will make you stop.

Have faith in your new self, the Mushrooms will love you for having courage.

You're scared of your self, and it's okay. Most of us are.

Just know that Mushrooms and Psychedelics in general are completely free of physical addiction. Stick to high doses.

--------------------
"In The Material World One seeks retirement and grows Old
In The Magical World One seeks Enlightenment and grows Wiser
In The Miraculous World One seeks nothing and grows Lighter
As we all tread the Homeward Path we will explore many Realms
And one day... we will all Realize that all experiences are Simply
Different ways in which The
All-That Is
Perceives Itself"

InvisibleThayendanegea
quiet walker
Male User Gallery

Loc: 7 Lodges Nation Flag
Re: Recovering Addict Considering Mushrooms After 3 Years of Sobriety [Re: Eclipse3130]
    #24148482 - 03/09/17 10:22 AM (7 years, 21 days ago)

I am a sober alcoholic that uses mushrooms a couple times a year as a sort of spiritual resetting. I treat them as a sort of sacrament that roots me back to where I belong ...in that "everything is related" and God is in every living thing and everyone place.

Take them in a similar way and not as a "for fun" way and you'll be fine.
Congrats on the three years!...that's awesome. Just as a friendly nudge....you may want to try to incorporate steps 10-12 (maintenance steps) into your everyday life, these are not meant to be worked...but to be lived.:mushroom2::sunny::peace:

--------------------
Look Deep Into Nature,and Then You Will Understand Everything Better.

Albert Einstein

OfflineAuroraBorealis88
Stranger

Re: Recovering Addict Considering Mushrooms After 3 Years of Sobriety [Re: Roms]
    #24148534 - 03/09/17 10:48 AM (7 years, 21 days ago)

Welcome to Shroomery!
I must say though that they wont trigger addictive tendencies if anything they'll make you feel guilty that it happened but there's no reason they wouldn't help you move on.

Invisibleoontribe
Male User Gallery

Re: Recovering Addict Considering Mushrooms After 3 Years of Sobriety [Re: AuroraBorealis88]
    #24148728 - 03/09/17 12:10 PM (7 years, 21 days ago)

Why feel guilty about doing mushrooms, relax, let go and enjoy.

OfflineHeadrush
Male User Gallery

Re: Recovering Addict Considering Mushrooms After 3 Years of Sobriety [Re: oontribe]
    #24149790 - 03/09/17 08:18 PM (7 years, 21 days ago)

Great job on your sobriety.

Bill Wilson, the founder of AA, used LSD to find his higher power and I read that he had 5 total LSD experiences and didn't consider them to be relapses.

I used mushrooms to beat opiates and benzodiazepines. I started using mushrooms for fun and weekly at first. They kicked my ass when I abused them. Then the mushrooms showed me my faults and prompted me to quit using prescription drugs.

I could never grasp the higher power (step one) until mushrooms. They have changed every aspect of my life for the better. I now only trip once every couple of months. Higher doses are the best, as everyone above mentioned.

--------------------

OfflineCrispykoot
Jello Wrangler
Male User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Re: Recovering Addict Considering Mushrooms After 3 Years of Sobriety [Re: Headrush]
    #24149944 - 03/09/17 09:23 PM (7 years, 21 days ago)

Congrats on your sobriety..Its not easy.

Seriously...I hope your trips show you what you need and you continue on your journey of healing and self love. Peace.

:bb:

--------------------

:gd_icon: Shadowboxing the apocalypse and wandering the land :gd_icon:

OfflineNorthernerM
splelling chceker
 User Gallery

Loc: FNQ
Re: Recovering Addict Considering Mushrooms After 3 Years of Sobriety [Re: Crispykoot]
    #24150067 - 03/09/17 10:15 PM (7 years, 21 days ago)

I was a poly drug addict for years and am also a sober alcoholic. I used alcohol to beat the other drugs off and then LSD to treat the alcohol addiction... I know it's not exactly a classic treatment program, but it worked for me.

If anything, psychedelics will set in your mind your belief and ways about being free of chemicals and addictive drugs. They won't give you any reason to go back to your old ways, if that's your fear, and will certainly give you greater perspective in your life. As with everything though, moderation is key.

--------------------
The nearest we ever come to knowing truth is when we are witness to paradox.

Offlinespiny
Stranger
Re: Recovering Addict Considering Mushrooms After 3 Years of Sobriety [Re: Crispykoot]
    #24150077 - 03/09/17 10:19 PM (7 years, 21 days ago)

I hate to be the naysayer here but I would tread cautiously.  I don't really know where I stand on the abuser / not abuser spectrum, but I feel I have tended to over-indulge to a point that isn't healthy or happy for me. I did 10 years of perfect sobriety and then started to dabble in things like LSD and having a drink now and then.  While I'm not a hardcore abuser of any of these substances, I can say that for me, at least, it might have been better to just keep that door shut.  If you're looking for healing and spirituality, those things can be found without mushrooms and if you value your sobriety... it might be better to find them elsewhere.

OfflineAuroraBorealis88
Stranger

Re: Recovering Addict Considering Mushrooms After 3 Years of Sobriety [Re: spiny]
    #24150181 - 03/09/17 11:14 PM (7 years, 21 days ago)

Quote:

spiny said:
If you're looking for healing and spirituality, those things can be found without mushrooms and if you value your sobriety... it might be better to find them elsewhere.

"Pursuing spirituality today without using psychedelic drugs is like studying astronomy without a telescope."

-Timothy Leary

Invisiblemilktruck
I don't actually exist
 User Gallery

Loc: It's all in your head
Re: Recovering Addict Considering Mushrooms After 3 Years of Sobriety [Re: AuroraBorealis88] * 1
    #24150227 - 03/09/17 11:45 PM (7 years, 21 days ago)

Opiate addict here, long time user of painkillers and for a short and nearly lethal time, heroine and even fentanyl a couple times (not intentionally, ill spare you my life story)

I will gladly stand behind this statement....

Psychedelics save me from myself... Mushrooms specifically, as i can directly, as if it was a separate person, use them to communicate with my own subconcious self. I know that "save me from myself" statement is a cliche', and a bit weird to use in the present tense, but i have never once heard a more fitting term for it.

When i feel as if i need something i once used to love (and tbh still do, but cannot trust my self with that particular mind state, but it is useful for some for certain things of course) I literally reach for some mushrooms (usually 4-5 grams, dealer shrooms), and open a dialogue with myself, the part of myself aware of my entire self.

I tend to use mushrooms therapeutically, as they have this uncanny thing other psychedelics (only IME) do not do, and it is true personification of your own subconscious. and things like LSD, MDA, and 2c-b for my recreational experiences, mushrooms just get too personal so i tend to use them for insight into my own subconscious blah blah blah you probably get the idea.

*******Your results may vary********

Quote:

AuroraBorealis88 said:
Quote:

spiny said:
If you're looking for healing and spirituality, those things can be found without mushrooms and if you value your sobriety... it might be better to find them elsewhere.

"Pursuing spirituality today without using psychedelic drugs is like studying astronomy without a telescope."

-Timothy Leary

Agree 100%

"All these spiritual practices tend to take many many years, and only work occasionally, many of us are just too old and lost to know where to even begin with what it took these monks a lifetime to get to.....

But these practices work REMARKABLY well in the presence of a psychedelic, almost TOO well" ......"They are reliable, and repeatable"

~Terence Mckenna

Yea im just full of cliche's tonight lol

Although for spiritual and universal insight (at least, what feels like it anyway), i tend to reach for the DMT bubble, as i cannot communicate with it, nor argue with it, but i can understand it.

Edited by milktruck (03/09/17 11:54 PM)

OfflineAuroraBorealis88
Stranger

Re: Recovering Addict Considering Mushrooms After 3 Years of Sobriety *DELETED* [Re: milktruck]
    #24150332 - 03/10/17 01:21 AM (7 years, 21 days ago)

Post deleted by AuroraBorealis88

Reason for deletion: ,

Edited by AuroraBorealis88 (03/10/17 01:23 AM)

OfflineAuroraBorealis88
Stranger

Re: Recovering Addict Considering Mushrooms After 3 Years of Sobriety [Re: AuroraBorealis88] * 1
    #24150335 - 03/10/17 01:24 AM (7 years, 21 days ago)

Yes I agree and agree that trying to get there without psychedelics though it may be possible is certainly about as far as you can get from being practical. With psychedelics it doesn't matter if you believe or not and it sets the agenda and there's something about the utter shock that comes with sudden psychedelic breakthroughs and episodes of enlightenment or whatever you want to call it that meditation just does not have because it's a slow process that you work and work and work for and let's face it 99.9999% of the people who try are still not going to get there if even that many.

OfflineGombaTaltos
Edge Runner
Male User Gallery

Loc: slightly north of hell
Re: Recovering Addict Considering Mushrooms After 3 Years of Sobriety [Re: AuroraBorealis88]
    #24150660 - 03/10/17 07:20 AM (7 years, 20 days ago)

I've been clean for about 4 years. I used to drink everyday and smoke crack. I was a junkie. I pawned almost everything I had of value including family heirlooms that are now lost forever. I never woke up and felt I needed a drink but learned alcohol was my trigger. I could talk myself into anything when I was drunk. I cringe when I think about that part of my life.

Taking psychedelics has never gave me the urge to go back to that. They've helped me appreciate who I am now and have empathy and understanding for others. If you choose to try shrooms I would suggest growing your own. It will definitely add to the experience.

--------------------

OfflineSteveinshell
Male User Gallery

Loc: North So Cal Flag
Re: Recovering Addict Considering Mushrooms After 3 Years of Sobriety [Re: GombaTaltos] * 1
    #24150844 - 03/10/17 09:01 AM (7 years, 20 days ago)

Dude... Years in recovery from extreme opiate addiction. After years of Suboxone struggles, mushrooms gave me the strength in one heavy trip. I wasn't even trying. I took a lot of shrooms one night and came to the revelation that I didn't need opiates in my life anymore. Next day I just straight up didn't take anything, felt like shit for a while 5 days or so but for some reason I didn't care. I just knew it would all be over so soon. Haven't gone back since, and it's been years.

Most important thing to remember is you can't pick it up again period...

PM me if you have questions. Addiction sucks. Whether it's a single Vicodin or your whole paycheck on skag. It's all a shit show.

--------------------

Invisiblemilktruck
I don't actually exist
 User Gallery

Loc: It's all in your head
Re: Recovering Addict Considering Mushrooms After 3 Years of Sobriety [Re: Steveinshell]
    #24153781 - 03/11/17 11:33 AM (7 years, 19 days ago)

Quote:

Steveinshell said:
Dude... Years in recovery from extreme opiate addiction. After years of Suboxone struggles, mushrooms gave me the strength in one heavy trip. I wasn't even trying. I took a lot of shrooms one night and came to the revelation that I didn't need opiates in my life anymore. Next day I just straight up didn't take anything, felt like shit for a while 5 days or so but for some reason I didn't care. I just knew it would all be over so soon. Haven't gone back since, and it's been years.

PM me if you have questions. Addiction sucks. Whether it's a single Vicodin or your whole paycheck on skag. It's all a shit show.

I cannot agree with this statement more.... I had no intention on giving up opiates until one night spent with a megalithic dose of cubes. Since then when i go in for a reminder, ill stop at 4-5 grams, but that one big trip, done only because i had them and knew they would get me high and i couldnt get any pills that day, changed me forever...

I grew/discovered a subconscious i din't know i had that night. And honestly, whether it came out of me being introduced to the mushroom, or the other way around (just as possible imho) i dont really care, the impact it had one me was exactly the same either way.

Offlinemushpunx
Fungus Punk
 User Gallery

Re: Recovering Addict Considering Mushrooms After 3 Years of Sobriety [Re: milktruck] * 1
    #24153944 - 03/11/17 12:47 PM (7 years, 19 days ago)

Ive been an IV heroin + cocaine user + heavy benzo user for 13 years now. I'm a junkie but I'm on methadone and can keep my shit together on it.

I grow mushrooms as a hobby, extract DMT as well. I frequently have pounds of mushrooms I hardly ever take them, and when I do, I find its like hitting a reset button in my brain, my depression dissapears.

If you start using psychedelics again just watch out for yourself trying to trick you. If you start feeling like you can't handle it, you gotta stop.
You *can't* use benzos to come down, or deal with anxiety if you have a difficult trip. That's what'll get you

--------------------

Amateur Mycologists United
AMU Q&A

OfflineSteveinshell
Male User Gallery

Re: Recovering Addict Considering Mushrooms After 3 Years of Sobriety [Re: milktruck]
    #24154145 - 03/11/17 02:25 PM (7 years, 19 days ago)

Quote:

milktruck said:
Quote:

Steveinshell said:

I cannot agree with this statement more.... I had no intention on giving up opiates until one night spent with a megalithic dose of cubes. Since then when i go in for a reminder, ill stop at 4-5 grams, but that one big trip, done only because i had them and knew they would get me high and i couldnt get any pills that day, changed me forever...

I grew/discovered a subconscious i din't know i had that night. And honestly, whether it came out of me being introduced to the mushroom, or the other way around (just as possible imho) i dont really care, the impact it had one me was exactly the same either way.

Nice!
I'm not advocating this as a method for achieving abstinence from opiates... But for me it worked like a charm..

I will however say I was quite fed up being addicted to shit. Worrying about drug tests and getting cut off my meds because let's face it I was constantly fucking up. I chipped for years with this and that. I used to take my methadone then go shoot coke so I could break the barrier then shoot a bunch of heroin because why the fuck not.

It was all fucking pointless self destruction.

Anybody who tells you trading one opiate for another is OK, is a fucking idiot.

Heroin, Suboxone, methadone, Dilaudid, fentinyl all of it is shit and you definitely don't need it. Nobody fucking needs it. Your body doesn't need it.
Once your mind is free from the shit you will see clearly how the drugs control your mind to keep you feeding more opiates into your system. Not just opiates, I used to shoot everything meth, coke hell I've shot tons of MDMA. Because why not...

Lol, now I have psychedelic drugs around and even when I actually want to do them, sometimes o don't just because I don't have to. Think about that shit...

Opiates, that was never an option. If I had 4 grams of great shit, I would be in a puddle of my own drool nodding out trying to hit again because I need more. Lol fuck that shit!

Methadone, Suboxone all of it leads you right back to the needle eventually. Don't be a fucking sheep. Get clean. Stay clean. Be strong. There are enough lambs headed for slaughter, don't intentionally join them because a doctor wants a fat commission check.

Rehab, clinics, doctors not one of them really gives a fuck if you live or die. You're a cash cow they want to bleed every penny out of. To the last drop to your dying breath.

If you want to be clean from opiates, just fucking stop. Whatever it takes.

Come to my house I'll tie you to a fucking chair and leave you there for a week... You'll live or you'll die... At least you won't be a fucking junky anymore!

--------------------

OfflineSteveinshell
Male User Gallery

Re: Recovering Addict Considering Mushrooms After 3 Years of Sobriety [Re: Steveinshell]
    #24154160 - 03/11/17 02:30 PM (7 years, 19 days ago)

Sorry I got a little carried away. But I mean every word. I wish I could go find a few of the doctors that prescribed me oxycontin when I was 13 after a surgery, for 6 months then cut me off... Lol 14 trying to get pills on the street nice...

If I could find him it would be very, very very for everyone....

--------------------

Invisiblenooneman
Male

Loc: Utah
Re: Recovering Addict Considering Mushrooms After 3 Years of Sobriety [Re: Roms] * 1
    #24154166 - 03/11/17 02:36 PM (7 years, 19 days ago)

You've put a bunch of work in and been sober for all this time, and now you want to take drugs again?

If you're going to do this, be honest with yourself first. You're not doing this for some grand spiritual reason, you're doing this because you want to trip. Which is fine, nothing wrong with that, but at least be honest with yourself and admit that you're doing it because you want to trip.

I don't know you or your self control. You may or may not be able to keep it to just mushrooms, and you may or may not be able to keep it to just one trip. It's entirely possible that all that hard work you put into sobriety will come crashing down, or that nothing will happen and you'll be fine. It depends entirely on you and your personality.

If you want to do it then do it, but be honest with yourself about it. Don't act like this is anything other than wanting to get your psychedelic rocks off.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder