Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinend595

Loc: sri lanka
Question about agar
    #2411852 - 03/09/04 06:06 PM (20 years, 23 days ago)

Ok i jsut read a lot about agar and i'm a little confused and was wondering if someone could clear some stuff up for. Ok so once the agar has colonized the petri dish can you then treat them like cakes and either place them in a terranium or casing? Sorry if this sounds like a stupid question but in the guides it seemed as though you had to transfer them to test tubes and the like.

thanks

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleafoaf
CEO DBK?
 User Gallery

Loc: Ripple's Heart
Re: Question about agar [Re: nd595]
    #2411876 - 03/09/04 06:11 PM (20 years, 23 days ago)

nope.

agar will BARELY support fruits.

agar is just a transient medium used for
growing, isolating and transferring to
other mediums.

you innoculate the agar, let it grow out,
cut out teh piece that's the prettiest and
transfer it to more agar to continue the
isolation process or to grains or cakes to
colonize and fruit.

make sense?

--------------------
All I know is The Growery is a place where losers who get banned here go.

Anonymous

#2411881 - 03/09/04 06:12 PM (20 years, 23 days ago)

Cut wedges of healthy agar/mycelium and transfer it to sterilized jars of grain, millet, etc. and allow it to colonize. Spawn the grain to manure, straw or other bulk substrate...case and fruit. Others will post their favorite uses of agar/mycelium....

Offlineshirley knott
not my real name
 User Gallery
Loc: London Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #2411888 - 03/09/04 06:14 PM (20 years, 23 days ago)

you're not ready to do agar yet. it has no use for cakes. agar doesn't colonise anything, it is a dead seaweed extract that mycelium grows on, just like a jar contents is. do a pftek (cake grow) first.

agar is used to isolate life forms. a popular use for agar by mycologists is to inoculate sterile grain jars when the agar is mycelium-colonised, and using this grain once itself colonised as spawn for fresh pasteurised or sterilised substrate, cased or uncased. or you could fruit the grain directly (with a casing layer, as uncased grain does poorly). back to FAQ!

--------------------
buh

Offlinend595

Re: Question about agar [Re: shirley knott]
    #2411906 - 03/09/04 06:23 PM (20 years, 23 days ago)

thanks for your replays already. Things are starting to make more sense. And if i already have agar inculated should i just screw them and throw them away? Is there a guide that tells you how you would transfer to cakes? Also what is the advantage of using agar instead of cakes?

ok so far can people tell me if i got things right (sorry if i sound like an idiot)

You just cut out the best looking part of the agar and then you can transfer it to a test tube or more agar? Thats where the guides left off. So whats the point, it more pure? And how would you go about getting it to fruit?

Edited by nd595 (03/09/04 06:31 PM)

Invisibleafoaf
CEO DBK?
 User Gallery

Loc: Ripple's Heart
    #2411917 - 03/09/04 06:27 PM (20 years, 23 days ago)

you cannot use agar instead of cakes, unless you
were intending to crumble the cakes and use them
to innoculate another medium such as grains or
shit.

you really don't want to transfer agar to cakes,
unless you are looking to make things as difficult
for yourself as humanly possible.

--------------------
All I know is The Growery is a place where losers who get banned here go.

Invisibletripndicular
My Minds Eye IsRhizomorphic

Loc: Bowels of HELL
    #2411921 - 03/09/04 06:29 PM (20 years, 23 days ago)

Quote:

nd595 said:
Ok i jsut read a lot about agar and i'm a little confused and was wondering if someone could clear some stuff up for.  Ok so once the agar has colonized the petri dish can you then treat them like cakes and either place them in a terranium or casing? Sorry if this sounds like a stupid question but in the guides it seemed as though you had to transfer them to test tubes and the like.

thanks

First off agar will not colonate a petri , you pour it in .
But once the mush myc colonizes the agar you harvest the best strains .
Fastest growing rhizos (if lucky) , free of contams , this is called issolating a strain . More to it than I described ....
No nothing like cakes  :blush:
No do not place in a chamber  :tongue:
No do not case  :nut:
Once you have issolated a good strain you innoc grain with it , creating spawn.
With this spawn you move on to innocing a bulk sub (in most cases) , once the myc has taken over a substrate you case it , then from there you induce fruiting , and hopefully if all went well .......MUSHIES will grow .
My advice is do ALOT more reading . :laugh:
Agar is not as tough as most folks like to believe , but if you cant grab the basic concept of it , do not waste your money , cause you will fail .
Sorry to sound like such a premadonna prick , but truly read and comprhend :thumbup: what you have read then try it you will like it !
Trip n D
You transfer to test tubes for long term storage of perfected strains ... once you have obtained a good strain via issolations .

This is what you are looking for :

AGAR MAN lives:

--------------------
Any information I give is not intended to aide you in the production of potentialy illegal substances !None of my exp comes from growing illegal varities , so take it as you will .
So with that said here is our mission statement .

Then the priest fell into a trance or swoon,& said unto the Queen of heaven ; Write unto us the ordeals; write unto us the rituals; write unto us the law !

Offlinedebianlinux
Myconerd - DBK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Over There
Re: Question about agar [Re: tripndicular]
    #2411930 - 03/09/04 06:33 PM (20 years, 23 days ago)

nice shades. lol.

Invisibletripndicular

Re: Question about agar [Re: shirley knott]
    #2411935 - 03/09/04 06:34 PM (20 years, 23 days ago)

Shirl you are great mod and all  :kiss:, but stop discouraging folks from thinking agar is bad choice to start at :nonono: . Not so if one comprhends it , and is willing to try .
I started with agar , and will never leave it :laugh: :thumbup: , have no flow hood , gloove box . Do use lots of lysol , bleach , germicidal wipes , alcohol , surgical masks , surgi caps , gowns etc ........
Trip n D
I do agree with this fella though ......he is far from ready to whip up a batch  :wink:

--------------------
Any information I give is not intended to aide you in the production of potentialy illegal substances !None of my exp comes from growing illegal varities , so take it as you will .

Then the priest fell into a trance or swoon,& said unto the Queen of heaven ; Write unto us the ordeals; write unto us the rituals; write unto us the law !

Edited by tripndicular (03/09/04 06:36 PM)

Offlinend595

#2411946 - 03/09/04 06:37 PM (20 years, 23 days ago)

I haven't found one yet but if someone has a good faq on agar from start to finish, not just the process of making agar and adding the spores and what not that would help me out a lot too.

Invisibletripndicular

Re: Question about agar [Re: debianlinux]
    #2411947 - 03/09/04 06:37 PM (20 years, 23 days ago)

Do my best work in the dark  :wink:
So does the myc  :thumbup:

--------------------

Invisibletripndicular

#2411957 - 03/09/04 06:41 PM (20 years, 23 days ago)

Quote:

nd595 said:
I haven't found one yet but if someone has a good faq on agar from start to finish, not just the process of making agar and adding the spores and what not that would help me out a lot too.

Buy THE MUSHROOM CULTIVATOR , great place to start and best investment you will ever make in this hobby.
Now you are on the right road  :thumbup:
Good Luck
"May The Mushroom Goddess Bless All Your Learning !"
Trip n D
PS fuck making own agar IMHO , easier to buy it ! A little costly but worth the trouble again IMHO

--------------------

Offlinend595

#2412467 - 03/09/04 08:35 PM (20 years, 23 days ago)

Ok so i read some more but i haven't found this specifically mentioned yet. I was wondering if i can take the colonized agar and place it in a grain substrate? And by doing this will it colonize the whole substrate? Also do i do this by just cutting out the colonized agar and then place it in the substrate, preferable in a hood? And thanks again for all your responses

OfflineJuanMatus
Stranger
    #2412512 - 03/09/04 08:48 PM (20 years, 23 days ago)

nd595 you need to crawl before running marathons. Paul Stamets Growing Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms is a good place to start. It should allow you to understand what mushrooms are, and the stages of their life cycles. Even though some people are able to start at an advanced stage and not fail, it is far more rewarding to start from the beginning, and understand fully what you are doing. To be realistic trying to do agar on a regular basis without a flow hood has a low probability of success for most people. there are far too many air borne contaminates in most homes for you to grow mushroom mycelia instead of mold. Start with the basics, use spore or mycelia syringes. Study the simple substrates you can purchase, or make yourself. Failure in the beginning is the usual reason people give up on a hobby.

Offlinend595

Re: Question about agar [Re: JuanMatus]
    #2412643 - 03/09/04 09:19 PM (20 years, 23 days ago)

i was planning on doing cakes and see how successful i am with those, but i have a friend who did the agar for me (convinced me it was best) so i went a long with it thinking it would be similar to cakes and would either do casing or cakes from them so now i have all these petri dishes that have been inoculated but since i didnt' do any research on agar and now i'm stuck with them. So rather than throw them away i'm trying to find out if i can do anything with them i'm pretty sure i'm gonna fail so far what i've read hasn't been to promising to me but everyone whose answered so far has helped. Just trying to salvage what i can right now and hopefully learn in the process.

Invisibletripndicular

Re: Question about agar [Re: JuanMatus]
    #2412665 - 03/09/04 09:24 PM (20 years, 23 days ago)

Quote:

JuanMatus said:
nd595 you need to crawl before running marathons. Paul Stamets Growing Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms is a good place to start. It should allow you to understand what mushrooms are, and the stages of their life cycles. Even though some people are able to start at an advanced stage and not fail, it is far more rewarding to start from the beginning, and understand fully what you are doing. To be realistic trying to do agar on a regular basis without a flow hood has a low probability of success for most people. there are far too many air borne contaminates in most homes for you to grow mushroom mycelia instead of mold. Start with the basics, use spore or mycelia syringes. Study the simple substrates you can purchase, or make yourself. Failure in the beginning is the usual reason people give up on a hobby.

Is a MYTH that one needs such devices as gloove boxes and flow hoods to be successful when working with agar , g2g , .....
Being clean , shutting down all ventilation systems to lab area , hanging up a curtain of some sort to reduce drafts is all one ( even A BEGINNER) needs , a hand kerchief as a mask .
I do agree start as simple as possible , basic subs like milo\millett , worm castings with verm .
I believe this low tek stuff is mentioned in TMC , yes I agree it MAY improve ones chances especially if they are having troubles to use a gloove box . But is not required to succeed .
It was no short cut for me ....it was only choice I knew of at the time , hell did not even know shroomery was here at that time . Just a kit (waste of money I know now) , and desire to grow my own mushies  :laugh:

I do wish folks would stop saying agar is ADVANCED TEK and should not be done by beginners .  :nonono: :razz:

--------------------

Anonymous

#2414166 - 03/10/04 08:52 AM (20 years, 23 days ago)

I think the reason most people arent ready for agar is that they don't understand the science that comes along with agar. It may not sound liek a difficult thing but when I started this hobby all I knew was mushrooms were asexual. that it... agar would have killed me. I had to learn all of the other things first in order to understand agar.

Now, as a hobbiest, I would have loved to worked with agar first. but I beleive you have to understand basics before using agar... Also I think agar is considered an advanced tek is b/c its not nessary to use agar in order to get mushrooms..therefore it isn't needed for the beginner. IMO

If you have taken high school science class, you should have worked with agar at some point.

Offlinedaywalker
Do you dream in color?

Loc: in my skin
Re: Question about agar [Re: ]
    #2415170 - 03/10/04 01:08 PM (20 years, 22 days ago)

>If you have taken high school science class, you should have worked with agar at some point.

Yep. I remember doing an experiment in my Soph/Jr year where we went all around the school swabbing miscellaneous objects and streaking agar dishes. We "grew" some fun stuff. Nastiest stuff I have ever seen came from a pay phone receiver.

Starting some agar work this week. I have gotten a bit bored with the multispore inoculations of grain.

nd595: Fundamental knowledge about agar medium is required to be successful IMO. Absorb all the info you can before starting and there is a better chance of success. If you succeed, you will be more likely not to give up. Read, read and read some more... then after that search and search and search some more.

I have TMC and I was actually reading it last night to get more familiar with agar and it didn't really cover all I wanted it to. I did find what I was looking for on Google :smirk: I was shocked to find out that germination on agar should be 70-75 degrees F. I would have stuck the dish in the incubator.

Sorry for the rambling!

--------------------
"I suggest we ... learn to love our ... selves before it ... becomes illegal."

Anonymous

Re: Question about agar [Re: daywalker]
    #2416066 - 03/10/04 04:35 PM (20 years, 22 days ago)

Quote:

daywalker said:
>If you have taken high school science class, you should have worked with agar at some point.

Yep. I remember doing an experiment in my Soph/Jr year where we went all around the school swabbing miscellaneous objects and streaking agar dishes. We "grew" some fun stuff. Nastiest stuff I have ever seen came from a pay phone receiver.

yep, I did the same thing in high school. lol we swabbed everything... I actually loved it then so I am sure it would be fun to do now. :smile:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale