Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflinemndfreezeMDiscordReddit
Shroomery Secret Service
Other User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: PuppetMasterFlash
Nintendo Swtich not as portable as expected
    #23948136 - 12/22/16 05:23 AM (7 years, 3 months ago)

down clocks its GPU 40% when undocked.  Doh!

--------------------
Nothing says love like grannies prolapsed anus!

quote]Urb said:
I know... Its fucked up... Ill fix it minyana..[/quote]

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleChakanooga
Always Lmao
Male User Gallery

Loc: Wonderland
Re: Nintendo Swtich not as portable as expected [Re: mndfreeze]
    #23949042 - 12/22/16 12:24 PM (7 years, 3 months ago)

That's kinda what's expected.
Of course it shouldn't run as well as the main console, but I'm sure its still playable.
There may be some high end games that might lag, but that's because people are trying to play mega amounts of gamedata, on the run.

--------------------
Official:
Facemelter
HyperspaceTraveller
NostalgicGamer

Shroomery Secret Service
Other User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Nintendo Swtich not as portable as expected [Re: Chakanooga]
    #23950309 - 12/22/16 09:48 PM (7 years, 3 months ago)

Getting cut down to 40% of your total GPU power is a masssssive drop though.  Definitely watch the video if you haven't. They touch on a lot of aspects of it.  Probably will end up being that nintendo made games will work great, but third party stuff will be lack luster or have major limitations. 

We already have games that have functionality on the PS4 Pro but not on the normal PS4 (ark: survival evolved) and that is waaaaaaaay more powerful then the switch.  So this could be bad news bears for gamers expecting much more then a Wii-U out of this.

--------------------

quote]Urb said:

InvisibleChemicalSpark

#23950365 - 12/22/16 10:12 PM (7 years, 3 months ago)

Edited by ChemicalSpark (03/23/20 09:32 PM)

Shroomery Secret Service
Other User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Nintendo Swtich not as portable as expected [Re: ChemicalSpark] * 1
    #23952850 - 12/23/16 09:07 PM (7 years, 3 months ago)

Yeah, I really feel like Nintendo is scrambling the last few years for anything and everything without much focus.  Like they are hoping if they do another portable then it will take off like the game boy did originally and become a staple household icon or something.

The problem is, back then Nintendo had very little actual competition and the market was generally sooooo new that you could stumble around blindly and still hit on great ideas as nothing had really been done yet.  Now however, there isn't much wiggle room for 'innovation' in the home console market except maybe with VR.  Strangely enough it seems Nintendo isn't even going down that avenue, probably because they realized they are way to late to the party on that one. At least to be part of its early inception.

I really think if Nintendo buckled down and just made a proper home console with beefy party and a planned upgrade cycle like the other new consoles, they would be a strong contender again.

--------------------

quote]Urb said:

InvisibleChakanooga
Always Lmao
Male User Gallery

Loc: Wonderland
    #23953202 - 12/24/16 01:37 AM (7 years, 3 months ago)

Who knows what they are they are thinking over there, they probably want to do things their own unique way, even if it flops (which we all hope doesn't). They must be holding this traditional grudge somewhere in the company, or one of the heads just won't let Nintendo advance out of the portable era.

--------------------
Official:
Facemelter
HyperspaceTraveller
NostalgicGamer

Invisiblepsi
TOAST N' JAM
Male User Gallery

Loc: 613 Flag
    #23955900 - 12/25/16 07:44 AM (7 years, 3 months ago)

I can see how there would be less of a need for GPU power in portable mode. If the screen on the handheld is something like 720p, then you're drawing less than half the pixels that you would be on a 1080p TV anyway. If anything, lowering the power consumption makes it more portable, not less.

Quote:

mndfreeze said:
Like they are hoping if they do another portable then it will take off like the game boy did originally and become a staple household icon or something.

The problem is, back then Nintendo had very little actual competition and the market was generally sooooo new that you could stumble around blindly and still hit on great ideas as nothing had really been done yet.

Game Boy won out because Nintendo read the market better than its main competitor (Sega) did, not because there was no competition. Game Gear had similar brand recognition and much better looking graphics, but it was significantly more expensive and the battery life was crap.

OfflineKryptos
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Nintendo Swtich not as portable as expected [Re: psi]
    #23956926 - 12/25/16 05:47 PM (7 years, 3 months ago)

Nintendo has consistently outsold every other console manufacturer every single generation. Apparently PS2 sales have caught up since release, but not for years after. Nintendo consoles have also historically been significantly underpowered compared to their competitors.

But, most nintendo games feature splitscreen, whereas most other console manufacturers realized that if they drop splitscreen functionality, then they'd force everyone to buy their own console. Everyone collectively went fuck you and just bought nintendo.

I predict that the switch will outsell the PS4 and the Xbox whatever is the latest number, for the simple reason that nintendo actively designs it's consoles to feel as social as possible, compared to the PS/Xbox dark basement  halo stereotype.

OfflineKonyap

Loc: Planet Piss
Re: Nintendo Swtich not as portable as expected [Re: Kryptos]
    #23957683 - 12/26/16 04:56 AM (7 years, 3 months ago)

nintendo doesn't need hardcore gamers
whether they know this or not they just need the new generation of 5-8 year olds to keep the systems going
competition is a non-thing when it comes to nintendo
they would rather  have something that's low tech and runs well (the wii) than something that is high tech and all over the place in every direction
when I play the xbox one I can see this very easily it's like some sort of frankenstein monster that just wants to be the same fad all over again, I wouldn't even have one if not for halo 5

Edited by Konyap (12/26/16 04:58 AM)

Invisiblepsi
TOAST N' JAM
Male User Gallery

Loc: 613 Flag
Re: Nintendo Swtich not as portable as expected [Re: Kryptos]
    #23957899 - 12/26/16 09:13 AM (7 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Kryptos said:
Nintendo has consistently outsold every other console manufacturer every single generation. Apparently PS2 sales have caught up since release, but not for years after.

Much as I like Nintendo I don't think this is true.

The PS2 was in production for a very long time, but I don't think Nintendo was ever significantly ahead in sales that generation. Gamecube sold 22 million units to PS2's 155 million, it's not even close. In the previous generation, N64 sold 33 million units to Playstation's 102 million. The original Wii is the only recent Nintendo home console that "won" in its generation, about 100 million sold vs ~80 million each for PS3 and Xbox 360. You don't necessarily have to "win" in sales to be profitable though.

Wii U was definitely a disappointment but I think the idea did have potential. The dual screen thing w/ stylus on lower screen setup worked well on handhelds when the games put it to good use, and in theory the same applies on a home console. There could have been a great library of RPGs making use of those features for example. The implementation kinda sucked though (heavy controller with shitty battery life) and sales never took off, so third party developers didn't really want to put in the effort to make anything cool for it.

OfflineKryptos
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Nintendo Swtich not as portable as expected [Re: psi]
    #23959120 - 12/26/16 07:48 PM (7 years, 3 months ago)

I may be wrong, I was under the impression that nintendo sales were strong out the door, but PS1/2 sales caught up because they were in production for 2-3x as long. I know Gamecube was out of production by like, 2004-05.

I've noticed lately that all the non-PC gaming I do nowadays is limited almost entirely to Smash 4 on Wii U. Given a need for and choice of console, I would probably get that. 4-5 Years from now, that would probably be replaced by Smash 6 and the Switch U.

Jump to top Pages: 1