Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleDuke of disjour
Lunatic
I'm a teapot

Loc: texas
My ventures towards Texas Reishi
    #23677686 - 09/25/16 07:11 PM (7 years, 6 months ago)

Although this post is for an ID id also like to display my "march forth to find Reishi" basket, because i know yall will like it. i think me and my brother finally found some if the big Jupiter looking one is not already

Habitat:
the ones in question pictured below. were found on a very old mesquite stump

Gills:
pores. white/tan bruise grey/brown . very easy to leave marks and drawings on. (anyone know big pointers to differentiate Ganoderma applanatum from Ganoderma lucidum )

Stem:
none. growing from wood to conk

Cap:
picture

Spore print color:
BROWN!!!

Bruising:
Color that the mushroom bruises, if any.

Other information:

Edited by Duke of disjour (09/25/16 07:20 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMrcloudy
Stranger than you.
Male User Gallery

Loc: Northeast US Flag
Trusted Identifier
Re: My ventures towards Texas Reishi [Re: Duke of disjour]
    #23677838 - 09/25/16 08:01 PM (7 years, 6 months ago)

In the basket I see several specimens that are not Ganoderma, one that looks like it may be Phellinus, and at least one Fomes faciatus. G.lucidum does not grow in North America. It looks like most of the red ones you have are G.sessile.

To differentiate G.applanatum you look at the color of the skin, grey or brownish grey is the color of applanatum, always dull, never shiny.

--------------------

10 different Ganoderma species from across the USA

AMU

MrCloudys guide to North American GanodermaUpdated A rough guide to North American Ganoderma species, with an emphasis on the laccate species.

OfflineMrcloudy
Stranger than you.
Male User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: My ventures towards Texas Reishi [Re: Mrcloudy]
    #23677840 - 09/25/16 08:02 PM (7 years, 6 months ago)

The one I suspect of being Phellinus may actually be Ganoderma lobatum, we need a closer look. Its the larger cracked one.

--------------------

AMU

MrCloudys guide to North American GanodermaUpdated A rough guide to North American Ganoderma species, with an emphasis on the laccate species.

InvisibleDuke of disjour
Lunatic
I'm a teapot

#23679187 - 09/26/16 09:16 AM (7 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Mrcloudy said:
In the basket I see several specimens that are not Ganoderma, one that looks like it may be Phellinus, and at least one Fomes faciatus. G.lucidum does not grow in North America. It looks like most of the red ones you have are G.sessile.

To differentiate G.applanatum you look at the color of the skin, grey or brownish grey is the color of applanatum, always dull, never shiny.

ahh i see i did not detail fleuntley. the basket is all the polypores i have found while looking in the normal homes of reishi. so the rest dont "matter"

the way these have lost their sheen with drying gives them more of a ehh look. are you saying grey like the one far right in back of basket, or just a dulling over time?

my texas mushroom field guide by susan and van metzler along with Paul stamets comments, state that they are spread temeprate zones decidious trees . south to north america europe and asia.

mycomedicinals and GGMM state that appalatum is artist conk. while the field guide says lucidum is artists conk.

in my mind lucidum doesnt mark as well as appalatum .
the specimens in question mark real good...

Quote:

Mrcloudy said:
The one I suspect of being Phellinus may actually be Ganoderma lobatum, we need a closer look. Its the larger cracked one.

here are pics of the two poly pores in question. (hey mrcloudy you sir have the spirit and an amazing ganoderma collection! they surely do make good decoration)
there are larger specimens too

then the large one found on a different day/area

the camera has a yellowing effect the true colors of the specimens are vibrant with a sheen

OfflineMrcloudy
Stranger than you.
Male User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #23680237 - 09/26/16 03:25 PM (7 years, 5 months ago)

Both of your ones in question are Ganoderma sessile. Or at least a local variant, they seem to grow thicker in Texas than elsewhere.

All Ganoderma will bruise brown on the underside so that is not a valid way to distinguish between species. You can draw on any of them.

G.applanatum is dull under all conditions

Even under artificial cultivation.

Its color is variable but usually grey or a brownish shade of grey. Yes precisely like the one in the far right of your basket, except that is a lookalike species called Fomes fasciatus. It looks and grows almost exactly like G.applanatum.

G.lucidum is mainly European, it is not native to the US, any sources that stae it is are mistaken and outdated due to old, bad science. Its not even the Chinese reishi, that is another species entirely. Unless you are in Salt Lake City (there appears to be an introduction) you wont find Ganoderma lucidum growing in the wild in the United States.

Quote:

the basket is all the polypores i have found while looking in the normal homes of reishi. so the rest dont "matter"

There is more reishi in your basket though, not just random polypores.

This one is more Ganoderma sessile

Ganoderma sessile is the most used reishi in the United states, 95% of the reishi cultures floating around are G.sessile usually labeled as G.lucidum, even Fungi perfecti, though they have taken to labeling it G.resinaceum sensu lato in more recent research which is more accurate.

--------------------

AMU

InvisibleDuke of disjour
Lunatic
I'm a teapot

#23681504 - 09/26/16 10:17 PM (7 years, 5 months ago)

pure good research and help to my questions. Thank you, shed a tear :tearchalice: .

polypores are a different world to me, but they all seem to be much more observable after looking for oysters and chicken of the wood. so many! never noticed them so much when i was younger hunting and fishing etc..

i appreciate the pictures to compare and see the grey color indication you mentiond :thumbsup: ill help keep the distribution in mind as well.

interesting is the "misnaming" between sessile and lucidum.
question is , then what is the chinese species named i always see it as lucidum...is it G. lingzhi?

i came back to edit, as i question about G. curtisii for the larger specimen , any experience on colored G. curtisii

i looked at the spores of the smaller ones. the spores on the larger one were of the same color and clingy consistency but that fruit was collected months ago

(camera to microscope fuzzyness, but atlast)

Edited by Duke of disjour (09/26/16 10:57 PM)

InvisibleDuke of disjour
Lunatic
I'm a teapot

#23681710 - 09/26/16 11:26 PM (7 years, 5 months ago)

Ganoderma curtisii group.

Ganoderma curtisii
Image credit Micheal Weese

This group occurs primarily in the southeast United States and parts of Mexico. Despite its primarily southern distribution it is also found in isolated groupings along the east coast as far north as Maine. A few reports in Northeastern PA, and one in Michigan.

It can be distinguished from other Ganodermas quite readily due to its from, it almost always has a stipe and the stipe tends to be rather thin, in contrast to tsugaes thick stem.The caps are often kidney shaped, but have some degree of variation which may indicate multiple species, or just genetic variants. The color is one of the clearest ways, G.curtisii group tends to remain yellow, the general transition in Ganoderma being white to yellow to red as it ages, sometimes G.curtisii group gets stuck on the yellow. The yellow is caused by immature cells, seemingly confirmed by microscopic observations showing mishappen poorly formed pileal cells in the yellow portions but regular well formed in the red. G.curtisii can also turn a deep red as it matures.The stipe is almost always red even when the rest is yellow. It is not uncommon for this group to take on a purple/blue hue sometimes being very vivid in age. Pores are round and regular, 3-4 per mm.There are at least three species closely related that fit into this group. G.curtisii, G.ravenelii, and G.meredithiae. G.ravenelii may be set apart from the others by its lack of dark melanoid bands within its context.Whereas G.curtisii and G.meredithiae both have these bands. G.meredithiae will be growing particularly on pine but have very similar form to curtisii. The context of this group tends to be firm, and tan in color. G.curtisii will be harder than both G.tsugae and G.resinaceum but not G.applanatum. Ganoderma curtisii is very closely related to Asian Ganoderma lingzhi (G.lucidum) and this can be seen in its similar morphology. Curtisii has been observed growing from spruce and white pine in Massachussetts, this is well outside the Gulf coast range of G.meredithiae. This Northern curtisii may or may not represent a separate species.

This specimen is an excellent example of the color progression in G.curtisii.

Ganoderma curtisii
Image credit Held Andre

OfflineMrcloudy
Stranger than you.
Male User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #23681981 - 09/27/16 01:53 AM (7 years, 5 months ago)

None of what I can see in your photos is Ganoderma curtisii. Typically G.curtisii will have a stem.

Yes the mushroom mainly used in China and widely incorrectly referred to as G.lucidum is actually Ganoderma lingzhi. Which is actually pretty closely related to our American G.curtisii. They are very similar morphologically as well, both species have stems, roughly the same size spores. The main thing that distinguishes G.curtisii and G.lingzhi, and to a lesser extent G.sessile from G.lucidum is the presence of resinous material, commonly called melanoid substance in the flesh of the mushroom. Usually appearing as lines or streaks.

The melanoid substance is visible here as dark streaks. (Ganoderma curtisii)

G.lingzhi is easily distinguished from G.curtisii primarily based on location and the fact that G.lingzhi has a yellow underside. Both species often exhibit a reniform or kidney sort of shape. Where the edges kind of swirl around and in towards the stem.

G.lingzhi

G.curtisii

G.sessile often times lacks the melanoid material except very near where it comes off from the wood, or on the rare occasion where it formed a stem, the stem has the melanoid band, present as two parallel bands running up and down the stem, where curtisii has many disorganized streaks throughout the stem.

G.lucidum never has this resinous material, G.lucidum is actually most closely related genetically to G.tsugae. Members of the tsugae/lucidum group never form the resinous material.

Here is some G.lucidum, I believe from Serbia or Croatia.

Another thing that separates G.lucidum from the other species is that it is very very laccate, or shiny. Many species of Ganoderma are shiny, that is they have a coating of natural varnish, but G.lucidum has a varnish that is so smooth it almost always looks like it was just sprayed with water.

Here is some G.lucidum grown by a friend of mine. A strain collected in France.

Wild Ganoderma lucidum from Serbia.

G.tsugae is similarly shiny but typically not to quite the degree as G.lucidum.

--------------------

AMU

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale