Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Injection Grain Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineParallelTimeStamp
Time Travler
Male

pleurocybella porrigens?
    #23641676 - 09/13/16 01:40 PM (7 years, 6 months ago)

Hi all, Im new to the forum...well kinda, ive been constantly brought back here in my searches for info and decided this was a good place to open an account and be part of the community so I am finally doing so. I'm not a noob with mushrooms and have a good bit of knowledge, my younger brother and I study mushrooms. Im getting better at id'ing as the days go on and i get an actual "hand" on a specimen and get to take it home for studies. I will be posting more on the cubensis side of the forums as I have indulged in my own adventure with them, but I will also be in and out of this section as well.....I'll let eveyone get to know me as i post and answer questions instead of bla bla bla'n on lol..........anyway....

I was out mushroom hunting and I came across these, I believe them to be pleurocybella porrigens but im not 100% and thats why i decided to make this my first post. I did eat some of these after a long 2 days of looking for info and debate. They were one of the best mushrooms ive ever eaten. I sauteed them in butter and pepper with a tiny bit of salt and a splash of balsamic vinegar....to die for.....lol...

From what Ive heard elderly people and people with liver problems should not eat these if they are in fact pleurocybella porrigens. Ive read that these mushrooms have a high amino acid which is no good when you have a bad liver. The 17 people to who were said to have died from this mushroom came from a food poisoning due to acute encephalopathy.

(Encephalopathy is a general term that means brain disease, damage, or malfunction. The major symptom of encephalopathy is an altered mental state. The causes of encephalopathy are numerous and varied; they include infections, anoxia, metabolic problems, toxins, drugs, physiologic changes, trauma, and other causes)

Regardless of the deaths, these mushrooms are still considered a delicacy in japan and they continue to eat them.
I would like to know everyone's opinions and thought about this, If im wrong about the name of this mushroom please feel free to correct me this is why im here, to find out if im correct. Thank you guys in advance.

--------------------
"Every story or tale in life came from a true source, doesnt mean that the story being told is 100% but it also doesnt mean that its not either, beware of what you get yourself into because you might find truth in a very unlikely place"

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineLucisM
Nutritional Yeast

Re: pleurocybella porrigens? [Re: ParallelTimeStamp]
    #23643084 - 09/13/16 09:28 PM (7 years, 6 months ago)

I think you might have Pleurotus pulmonarius.

http://www.mushroomexpert.com/pleurotus_pulmonarius.html

--------------------
©️

OfflineParallelTimeStamp
Time Travler
Male

Re: pleurocybella porrigens? [Re: Lucis]
    #23643175 - 09/13/16 09:53 PM (7 years, 6 months ago)

What! Seriously? you think so? That would be bad ass! These are growing on a down log in the woods behind my house. If they are indeed Pleurotus pulmonarius I'm defiantly going to go out next time it rains before the season is up and get some more. I want to make a spore syringe and try to grow them for a better look....and so I can eat them.

--------------------
"Every story or tale in life came from a true source, doesnt mean that the story being told is 100% but it also doesnt mean that its not either, beware of what you get yourself into because you might find truth in a very unlikely place"

OfflineParallelTimeStamp
Time Travler
Male

#23644073 - 09/14/16 08:40 AM (7 years, 6 months ago)

I think im still going with my original assumption, though id like them to be Pleurotus pulmonarius instead of pleurocybella porrigens.

The pleurocybella porrigens doesnt seem to grow so stacked on one another as the Pleurotus pulmonarius do. Though oysters grow stacked ive noticed each have there own look when stacked, some stack loose while others are tightly grouped.

The one thing that is making it hard on me is the oysters I found and harvested were more flat when fully open and didnt curl much on the edges. The young ones look like they could be Pleurotus pulmonarius, but the older ones are to flat when opened to look like them. Thats where it leaves me confused.

Can the two grow side by side you think?

--------------------

OfflineLucisM
Nutritional Yeast

#23644122 - 09/14/16 09:01 AM (7 years, 6 months ago)

I am no expert, but I have always found angel wings to not have much of a stem like the pic below.  This is just my experience though, and I am not a trusted identifier, so would wait until one of them chime in.

--------------------
©️

OfflineJoie
 User Gallery

Loc: UK Flag
Trusted Identifier
    #23644129 - 09/14/16 09:07 AM (7 years, 6 months ago)

:whathesaid:

These are not tongue-shaped.

--------------------

OfflineParallelTimeStamp
Time Travler
Male

Re: pleurocybella porrigens? [Re: Joie]
    #23644198 - 09/14/16 09:42 AM (7 years, 6 months ago)

Fennario thank you for your thought, and the picture, this is helping me greatly, love to discuss and learn.

Ive seen some pics of what was said to be angel wings and they had a short stems but im just not sure if those pics were mislabeled, but if so then they need to be fixed. I know a lot of people just like to call a name to there mushroom without real studies either to make them look smart or because there ignorant and don't care if they kill someone with there lack of identification skills, so I cant really go by pictures on google or any other search engine alone. That is why I like others opinions and like to discuss these things.

Without your opinions id still be where I was in my thoughts so thank you for replying and being here to discuss this with me, your much appreciated.....and with that said I Think your right they may not be pleurocybella porrigens.......but I suppose we will see where this takes us next huh?

--------------------

OfflineJoie
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #23644225 - 09/14/16 09:51 AM (7 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

ParallelTimeStamp said:
Ive seen some pics of what was said to be angel wings and they had a short stems but im just not sure if those pics were mislabeled, but if so then they need to be fixed.

If they weren't shaped like a tongue or ear they weren't P. porrigens.

--------------------

OfflineParallelTimeStamp
Time Travler
Male

Re: pleurocybella porrigens? [Re: Joie]
    #23644234 - 09/14/16 09:57 AM (7 years, 6 months ago)

I posted pics of my find what do you think they look like? Id love to know your opinion. The more this thread goes on the more I'm starting to think there P. pulmonarius due to the discussion, but not sure cause they just weren't stacked tight, maybe it was just they had room on the log (it is a long one) to grow more spaced in some spots than clustered.

--------------------

OfflineJoie
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #23644252 - 09/14/16 10:07 AM (7 years, 6 months ago)

I think Fennario has this one. :hatsoff:

--------------------

OfflineParallelTimeStamp
Time Travler
Male

#23644316 - 09/14/16 10:44 AM (7 years, 6 months ago)

10 4, thank you for your feed back.  imo then, a major +5 lvl up for Fennario then you sound to be right on the money.

Quote:

Fennario said:

I am no expert, but I have always found angel wings to not have much of a stem like the pic below.  This is just my experience though, and I am not a trusted identifier, so would wait until one of them chime in.

You keep up good identifying practices like that and helping people and you will be one hell of an identifier before you know it.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Injection Grain Bag