Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinemocksol
Stranger
First time grower. Quart jar method???
    #2327721 - 02/12/04 04:24 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Hello, I'm attempting to grow mushrooms for the first time using a method described to me by a friend who has grown mushrooms in the past. The method uses brown rice, distilled water, quart jars, and alot of lysol. It seemed to be different from many of the methods used by people on this site but i've already bought the stuff so please refrain from comments like "uh, dont do that use this method". Anyways you are supposed to put the brown rice and water in the jars (any ideas on how much?), sterilize it, lift the lid just enough to inject the spores into the jar. Then you're supposed to store the jars in a dark place. I wasnt sure if you were supposed to keep them closed or what during this phase. After mushrooms start to grow you are to open the jars and give them 3-4 hours of light a day untill the caps about the open when you cut them on the stalk. And through the whole process you are to spray the area generously with lysol.
Any advice or things wrong with the method?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblejdogg172
Shroomitarian

Re: First time grower. Quart jar method??? [Re: mocksol]
    #2327739 - 02/12/04 04:32 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

i suggest reading some FAQ's cause by the looks of it your setting yourself up for failure

OfflineKreeprCeepr
Dont mistakelack of talentfor genius!

Loc: Oregon
    #2327746 - 02/12/04 04:36 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

It sounds like your friend forgot how to grow shrooms, check out the FAQ, and then read some more, BRF and water isnt going to grow you anything, but a big pain in the ass, and a waste of good spores. Check out the pF Tek, it is best for begginers.

--------------------
"My lands are where my dead lie buried" Crazy Horse R.I.P

Native Pride

Offlinemocksol
Stranger
Re: First time grower. Quart jar method??? [Re: KreeprCeepr]
    #2327761 - 02/12/04 04:40 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

All right.

Kreepr, not brown rice flour...just brown rice.

Offlinemocksol
Stranger
    #2327770 - 02/12/04 04:44 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Is there anyway I could use my quart jars for the pf tek seeing as i have already purchased them?

OfflineKreeprCeepr

#2327772 - 02/12/04 04:45 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

oic, well i have never heard of a tek like that, maybe your friend needs a refresher course at growin shrooms!  :wink:  Liike i said, check out the PF Tek, it is great, you can blen up the browin rice you have, into a fine powder, leave a couple small chunks here and there, and use that and Vermiculite for your substrate, as explained in the PF Tek, they also have one called "PF Tek for simple minds" i use that and have had nothing but awesome results! Good luck.

--------------------

Native Pride

Offlinemocksol
Stranger
    #2327781 - 02/12/04 04:48 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Thanks kreepr. I dunno how but, from what i've been told, my friend has had fairly good results with his method, like 10% contamination. Is the aquarium a requirement...what are some alternatives to it? (that question is probably ask alot, and I'll probably search the forums for it).

OfflineKreeprCeepr

#2327806 - 02/12/04 04:55 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Well, if your friend says he's had good success with it, why not try it? But, the Shroomery is full of different ways to grow mushrooms, of almost all kinds. The stuff here is proven working methods. Check out the FAQ section on growing mushrooms. You can find all the information you need there, including how to build your fruiting chamber out of a rubbermaid container.  :wink:  Check out the Poor mans pod, also you cna just use a rubbermaid with soaked perlite in the bottom.

--------------------

Native Pride

Offlinemocksol
Stranger
    #2327817 - 02/12/04 05:00 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Okay...well seeing as the spore im using are kind of old (from when my friend was growing) I'm just gonna try his method, with his advice, with these spore, and if unsuccessful I'll try the PF tek with some new spore. I'll get back to you with results of the, as he called it, "quart jar method". Thanks again for your help.

OfflineKreeprCeepr

#2327824 - 02/12/04 05:04 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

no problem, let us know his tek in depth, and tell us your results, Im eager to see if this will work! Good luck with it!

--------------------

Native Pride

Offlinemocksol
Stranger
    #2327838 - 02/12/04 05:09 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Yeah what sounded cool about his was the fact that you dont have to do much. You dont have to transefer the cakes at all they just grow right in the jars that you started them in....well I'll be starting tomorrow night probably so I'll see how it goes. He stressed alot about the lysol and from reading FAQs and Teks it makes sense because the only problem i can see with his method is contamination, but it you cover everything in the area with lysol regularly, every thing that would contamate your colonys would be killed.

Offlinefalseaddiction
There's agoldmine up onthe mountainside

Loc: Where the nugs flow like ...
    #2506144 - 04/01/04 03:59 PM (20 years, 1 day ago)

i know you say don't tell you to use another method, but seriously, use another method

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate