Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinecosmic.vibrator
Humble Apprentice
 User Gallery

Rye Grain with Plastic Lids and Poly Fil (question/concern)
    #23194933 - 05/06/16 09:22 AM (7 years, 10 months ago)

So last night I PC'd 5 quart size jars of Rye Berries. The grain was prepared using Spitball's Quick Rye Prep (https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/20470562).

I purchased some plastic lids, instead of using the metal lids my jars came with. For GE, I drilled a 1/4 inch hole in each jar, in the center of the lid. I also drilled an 1/8 inch hole about an inch and a half from the center for inoculation. I used premium Poly-Fil as the filter/plug in each hole after I learned it could be done.

I took a piece to large to fit through the holes, and tapered the poly-fil so I could work it through each hole. I pulled the poly-fil until it wouldn't budge anymore, and then I teased it a bit, knotting it up around the hole. It was definitely tight. I probably would have snapped the lid in half if I continued to pull any harder.

All jars were then covered with tin foil, to protect the poly fill from droplets of water.

Well, two of my lids had some moisture on the poly fil that was outside of the jar, anyway. They weren't soaked, but they were damp.

Do I need to start over with these jars, or is this something that happens from time to time, that I shouldn't worry about?

--------------------
"So! You take, let us assume, a third toke; long and slow. You vaporise... and you take it in, and in, and in... and there is a sound... like the crumpling of a plastic bread wrapper, or the crackling of flame... and a tone... a mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm... and there is this.......

There is a cheer... The gnomes have learned a new way to say hoooooooorrayy..." - Terrance Mckenna

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisiblePirateSwazey
 User Gallery

Loc: Here, Now
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Rye Grain with Plastic Lids and Poly Fil (question/concern) [Re: cosmic.vibrator]
    #23195055 - 05/06/16 10:13 AM (7 years, 10 months ago)

The moisture is fine.. Might have too much room for breathing with 2 holes. You'll know if your grains dry out

--------------------

BULK RYE PREP  -  MY FAVORITE THREADS  -  BUILD A FLOWHOOD

Offlinecosmic.vibrator
Humble Apprentice
 User Gallery

Re: Rye Grain with Plastic Lids and Poly Fil (question/concern) [Re: PirateSwazey]
    #23195063 - 05/06/16 10:16 AM (7 years, 10 months ago)

Sweet, thanks for your input. :smile: I had a feeling they would be okay. Would some micropore, or electrical tape over the inoculation hole be something I could apply if I notice the grain drying out?

--------------------
"So! You take, let us assume, a third toke; long and slow. You vaporise... and you take it in, and in, and in... and there is a sound... like the crumpling of a plastic bread wrapper, or the crackling of flame... and a tone... a mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm... and there is this.......

There is a cheer... The gnomes have learned a new way to say hoooooooorrayy..." - Terrance Mckenna

Offlinecosmic.vibrator
Humble Apprentice
 User Gallery

Re: Rye Grain with Plastic Lids and Poly Fil (question/concern) [Re: cosmic.vibrator]
    #23195200 - 05/06/16 10:53 AM (7 years, 10 months ago)

I should be getting a tyvek paint suit today to experiment with, as well. I'll see what I like better. :smile:

--------------------

Offlinecosmic.vibrator
Humble Apprentice
 User Gallery

#23197876 - 05/07/16 04:16 AM (7 years, 10 months ago)

Just knocked up the 5 quart jars with Tasmanians :smile: I love being able to see each drop leave the syringe, and shaking it up. Eases my mind knowing that the spores were mixed that well.

Gonna PC 5 more jars, and knock them up with PES Hawaiians. :smile:

--------------------

Edited by cosmic.vibrator (05/07/16 02:02 PM)

InvisibleSupalemonhaze
Spore syringe hater.
Male

Loc: 12" down Europe's butthole
    #23198009 - 05/07/16 06:35 AM (7 years, 10 months ago)

I prefer tyvek to polyfill a thousand times over but the 2pc lids are best for that since you can put a sheet over the lid and then attach the ring to hold the tyvek down. We mostly only get 1pc lids in europe so when I was using tyvek, I had to use rubber bands to keep it on tightly.

The GE hole has to bigger than a 1/4 inch for polyfill AFAIK, but I never really used it much on jars so I'm not really sure. I do remember that I saw a tek for lids once and it called for a bigger hole if polyfill was to be used. The inoculation hole can just be closed up with silicone if you don't want it, can even be used as a SHIP if you ever wanna use one.

OfflineErikXL45
SoME AssHoLe
Male User Gallery
    #23198068 - 05/07/16 07:33 AM (7 years, 10 months ago)

From what I've read it looks like moisture getting on filters happens a bunch. The guys who've been doing this say to let your pc equalize and when you pull your jars if they're still hot with steam coming off- just let the moisture evaporate off your filter. Regardless how right or wrong I am..I wouldn't toss them. Noc em up and wait to see what happens. I've had a number of small setbacks and my monotub is still trucking along pretty nicely. Just be patient and see how it looks after you get some signs of life. Good luck homey.

Offlinecosmic.vibrator
Humble Apprentice
 User Gallery

Re: Rye Grain with Plastic Lids and Poly Fil (question/concern) [Re: ErikXL45]
    #23199005 - 05/07/16 02:00 PM (7 years, 10 months ago)

Thanks guys :smile:

Those jars have been knocked up with tasmanian spores. Should be interesting to see how they do. They're currently put away in a box in my work space. When they start looking healthy, I'll put them on my shelf...

I haven't worked with SHIPs yet. I need to get the right silicone, but I have to wait until pay day. I just did 5 jars last night using tyvek. Do I need to cover the holes in the tyvek after I inoculate? Or leave them open for gas exchange?

--------------------

InvisibleSupalemonhaze
Spore syringe hater.
Male

#23199024 - 05/07/16 02:07 PM (7 years, 10 months ago)

Well, if tyvek is the only thing you are using then you really should put it back. Can't leave an open hole in your jars.

Offlinecosmic.vibrator
Humble Apprentice
 User Gallery

Re: Rye Grain with Plastic Lids and Poly Fil (question/concern) [Re: Supalemonhaze]
    #23199112 - 05/07/16 02:31 PM (7 years, 10 months ago)

I have the lid, with holes ready, then the tyvek, then the ring to hold the lid and tyvek on. I pc'd with foil on top to prevent the tyvek from getting to wet. When I inoculate, what should I cover the holes with afterwords? Would another layer of tyvek held on by a rubber band work? Or a coffee filter?

--------------------

InvisibleSupalemonhaze
Spore syringe hater.
Male

#23200856 - 05/08/16 12:50 AM (7 years, 10 months ago)

No, you use the same piece of tyvek that was sterilized with the jar. If you put a fresh piece it won't be sterile. So you put on the lid, put on tyvek, put on ring, PC, remove ring, peel back tyvek, inoculate, tyvek back in place, put ring on, done.

OfflinePsilosoulful

Re: Rye Grain with Plastic Lids and Poly Fil (question/concern) [Re: Supalemonhaze]
    #23200915 - 05/08/16 01:17 AM (7 years, 10 months ago)

Try this method...it'll save you a lot of time. Just loosen your lid a bit and whalaa..perfect level of GE, who knew it could be this simple??

Pastywhyte's Easy Lid Tek

InvisibleSupalemonhaze
Spore syringe hater.
Male

Re: Rye Grain with Plastic Lids and Poly Fil (question/concern) [Re: Psilosoulful]
    #23200927 - 05/08/16 01:23 AM (7 years, 10 months ago)

They like making shit hard for us in europe. PP5's are snap on so you have to put something between the lid and the bottom so the PC won't crush them and the glass jar lids are twist lock so they only go a 1/4 of a turn to tighten completely. Fags.

OfflinePsilosoulful

#23200959 - 05/08/16 01:42 AM (7 years, 10 months ago)

Damn that sucks, you'll have to order the right lids from some vendor in the US.
Better yet, just use amazon, i think it's like 12$ for an 8 pack of those Bernadin lids seen in the tek I posted. Kinda pricey, but hey...whatever works

The overseas shipping tho, that might break the bank.
If you sign up for prime, it might not be that bad tho

InvisibleSupalemonhaze
Spore syringe hater.
Male

Re: Rye Grain with Plastic Lids and Poly Fil (question/concern) [Re: Psilosoulful]
    #23200984 - 05/08/16 02:02 AM (7 years, 10 months ago)

Lids won't fit since they aren't made to the same specs. The thread on the jar is also much shorter and more inclinated than the ball jars.

See how the ball jar goes a full turn?

The jars I buy from the EU are less than a euro each if I buy around 50. Ball jars are much more expensive to import so I would rather have to silicone the SFD to the lid than paying at least triple the price for the shipping. Sucks but you get used to it I guess.

Edit: Can't buy from Amazon btw, they don't ship to my country.

Edited by Supalemonhaze (05/08/16 02:04 AM)

Offlinecosmic.vibrator
Humble Apprentice
 User Gallery

#23204664 - 05/09/16 02:39 AM (7 years, 10 months ago)

Thanks for the tips :smile: You guys kick ass.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale