Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleMoNk
pupil

Question concerning Tyvek filters
    #2318414 - 02/09/04 03:44 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

While im considering using filters for the first time, I want to use the Tyvek method. I was wondering, can you inject through this filter? I've read on this and cannot seem to find anyone saying how you are supposed to inoculate when using this filter as opposed to the polyfil. Thanks for the help.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleMagash
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Loc: Near Hilo
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Question concerning Tyvek filters [Re: MoNk]
    #2318437 - 02/09/04 03:52 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

I inject threw the tyvek then cover the hole with a band aid cause they come steril.

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

InvisibleMoNk
pupil

Re: Question concerning Tyvek filters [Re: Magash]
    #2318459 - 02/09/04 03:58 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Thanks for the pictures, and so you have 3 other holes under that filter that dont have a bandaid on them or did you create more holes for a little more airflow? Also, it appears your filters are going on down under that metal rim area on your cap (sorry for the horrible wording), but the half pint jars I have the caps are one piece. So i was wondering if i could just do everything as i have before without a filter and just put a filter over the top of the entire lid with a rubberband around it to keep it on there. Thanks again.

OfflineBluewave
ShredMonkey

#2318461 - 02/09/04 03:58 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

My friend just drills 2 holes in the quart lid, 1 big for air exchange, and the 2nd a small innoculation hole.
Then places the tyvek directly on the jar, then puts the metal top [circular disk with the 2 drilled holes] on top of that, followed by the outer ring which gets screwed down tight, then loosened a 1/4 turn.
When innoculating, just inject right through the tyvek at the small hole, then put one of those small round bandaids [bandaids CLEAR SPOTS or similar] over the innoc hole.

--------------------
"There is no I in ego death"

Offlinekilgore_trout
Stranger
    #2318508 - 02/09/04 04:10 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

i am planning on using tyvek for the first time quite soon. i am unsure as to whether i will use tyvek and the lid ring, or if i will place tyek onto a section of the lid. placing it on only a section would mean less air flow, which id rather not have except for that i have heard that there are problems with your jars getting too dry using tyvek. As i will be using millet or wbs, they will colonize faster and may not have the time to dry out that other substrates demand. However, as i will not be using verm in the jars and instead mixing it in upon casing there will be less water in the substrate.

if anyone has a comment about the drying factor, anyone thinking about using tyvek might like some clarification from those with experience with the material.

now, as for the innoculation concern. sorry for trailing off on my own problems, by the way--i am kind of stoned. anyway, im going to use two pieces of tape placed a top each other. when i innoculate, i will lift the first piece of tape, push the syringe through the second, innoculate, pull out through second tape, and cover again with first tape. if i use straight tyvek, i will place the pieces of tape straight onto the tyvek, and if i use a lid with a hole covered with tyvek, i will make a second smaller innoculation whole and place the tape atop of that. The idea can be extended to give you multiple innoculation points. you can make a hole in the center of the lid and glue on the tyvek and then make 4 innoculation holes around the sides and place tape a top them all. or you can place the layered tape at points along the sides when using strictly tyvek.

again, please someone address the drying issue--especially in my case.

--------------------
"I didnt fight a secret war in nicaragua so you could walk these streets of freedom bad-mouthing lady america in your damn mirrored sunglasses."

InvisibleMoNk
pupil

Re: Question concerning Tyvek filters [Re: kilgore_trout]
    #2325041 - 02/11/04 04:30 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Yes, I was wondering if I should just use the layer of Tyvek for the entire lid area and just use the ring to fasten it or should i use the lid part as well with larger holes drilled in it. I'm just using the simple half pint pftek...

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags