Home | Community | Message Board

NorthSpore.com BOOMR Bag!
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflinePsilosopherr
A psilly goose
Other User Gallery

Low tech transplanting of an endophyte to new host plant
    #23041189 - 03/24/16 12:07 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Interesting article detailing a sterile method of endophyte transplanting and its effect on rice

Far as I can tell from what I'm reading, endophytes are simply soil bacteria/fungi that either colonize seeds or colonize the freshly germinated seedling. I wonder if certain species are colonized, and so any seed or clones they produce are also colonized, that must be how certain species have long term association. (sorry, google hasn't been very helpful for certain questions)

So now I'm thinking there must be a low tech/simple way to experiment with mix matching endophytes. Perhaps "grafting" plant tissue onto the new host would facilitate a transfer? This makes you wonder if existing endophytes in the host will prevent the new grafted endophytes from getting in. Which makes one wonder if sterile hosts would be needed. But how would one produce an endophyte-free plant? Would it be as simple as surface sterilizing seeds?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblelaughingsol
Dirt Farmer

Loc: The beautiful hills of Io...
Re: Low tech transplanting of an endophyte to new host plant [Re: Psilosopherr]
    #23043096 - 03/24/16 09:52 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

My understanding of endophytes is by no means complete, but I don't believe that science has had a whole lot of luck trying manipulate plant/endophyte relations for profit.

Endophytes can certainly be seed-borne, riding right along into the next generation.  Surface sterilization and subsequent cultivation in sterile conditions is unlikely to produce a plant without endophytes.  Perhaps fewer endophytes.

I think I remember reading that most plants host dozens to a hundred or so endophytic species.  Woody plants tend to harbor a larger diversity of species. Kind of like people with all of our surface and gut microbes, if you kill off all of the endophytes, the plant's health will suffer deleterious effects. 

Many primary decomposers actually live inside of living plants and trees in what I suppose could be called harmony, until the plant (or part of the plant) dies.  Some leaf decomposing fungi for example, just live in the leaves until the tree stops using them.  Then they're right there waiting to eat.  I think some of the most common wood decomposers live as endophytes as well, like Trametes versicolor and Schizophyllum commune. A tiny little universe in every plant I guess.

--------------------
Be Well, Be Blessed

Trade List

OfflinePsilosopherr
A psilly goose
Other User Gallery

Re: Low tech transplanting of an endophyte to new host plant [Re: laughingsol]
    #23043133 - 03/24/16 10:01 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Ah very interesting, I'm grateful for any reply at all.

InvisibleinskiM
Cortinariologist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Low tech transplanting of an endophyte to new host plant [Re: Psilosopherr]
    #23046580 - 03/25/16 11:08 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

rbalzer said:
But how would one produce an endophyte-free plant? Would it be as simple as surface sterilizing seeds?

Meristem Tissue Culture.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale