Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds USA West Coast Strains

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineStill_tripping
Lord yes!

Loc: A small hot country
Why does it have to be so embarassing to be Canadian?
    #22985300 - 03/08/16 10:23 AM (8 years, 22 days ago)

:facepalm3: Yesterday our illustrious PM said that he felt Americans should become more knowledgeable as to what is happening outside your borders.

“Having little more of an awareness of what’s going on in the rest of the world, I think is, is what many Canadians would hope for Americans.”

This from a part time drama teacher who has had zero education or experience in foreign affairs before becoming the PM.

Why oh why are Canadians so stupid about everything? I don't live in Canada and haven't for years now but it is becoming an ever increasing embarrassment to have to admit to foreigners that I am Canadian, they usually laugh and bring up some stupidity that they can remember hearing in the news.

Do you think it's too late to get in on Hilary's immunity plan?

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflinePatlal
You ask too many questions
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ottawa Flag
Re: Why does it have to be so embarassing to be Canadian? [Re: Still_tripping] * 3
    #22985324 - 03/08/16 10:31 AM (8 years, 22 days ago)

Quote:

Still_tripping said:
:facepalm3: Yesterday our illustrious PM said that he felt Americans should become more knowledgeable as to what is happening outside your borders.

“Having little more of an awareness of what’s going on in the rest of the world, I think is, is what many Canadians would hope for Americans.”

I didn't vote for the guy, but right there he hit the nail right on the head.

Quote:

Still_tripping said:
it is becoming an ever increasing embarrassment to have to admit to foreigners that I am Canadian,

We have been ranked the most respected country in the (again) this year. That means that next to anybody from any other country in the world, they are the embarassment, not you.

--------------------

Edited by Patlal (03/08/16 11:17 AM)

OfflineEzuma
Gontish Wizard
Male User Gallery

Loc: Roke
Re: Why does it have to be so embarassing to be Canadian? [Re: Still_tripping]
    #22985700 - 03/08/16 12:55 PM (8 years, 22 days ago)

Quote:

Still_tripping said:

This from a part time drama teacher who has had zero education or experience in foreign affairs before becoming the PM.

Why oh why are Canadians so stupid about everything? I don't live in Canada and haven't for years now but it is becoming an ever increasing embarrassment to have to admit to foreigners that I am Canadian, they usually laugh and bring up some stupidity that they can remember hearing in the news.

Do you think it's too late to get in on Hilary's immunity plan?

as much as I'm anti-nationalism and all that, I don't really see your experience as being accurate beyond the internet, and even then beyond Americans pretty much. There's stereotypes about all sorts of nationalities and cultures, those associated with Canadians are pretty mild :shrug: Probably because we're rather boring people

InvisibleMoonshoe
Blue Mantis
 User Gallery

Loc: Iceland
Re: Why does it have to be so embarassing to be Canadian? [Re: Still_tripping] * 3
    #22985725 - 03/08/16 01:05 PM (8 years, 22 days ago)

What a stupid OP.

There is nothing embarrassing about saying the world wishes America paid more attention to things outside of the USA.

That's obvious and true and not in any way embarrassing .

I am angered that I wasted time reading this post.

--------------------

Everything I post is fiction.

InvisibleLoyola10
Stranger

Re: Why does it have to be so embarassing to be Canadian? [Re: Moonshoe] * 1
    #22985729 - 03/08/16 01:06 PM (8 years, 22 days ago)

The US is a global hegemony with a unrivaled military foreigners can go suck eggs.

OfflineEzuma
Gontish Wizard
Male User Gallery

Re: Why does it have to be so embarassing to be Canadian? [Re: Loyola10]
    #22985734 - 03/08/16 01:08 PM (8 years, 22 days ago)

Quote:

Loyola10 said:
The US is a global hegemony with a unrivaled military foreigners can go suck eggs.

:rolleyes:

you don't maintain a position at the top through ignorance. It is exactly because america is #1 that the knowledge and vigilance of its people is essential. That attitude will tear down your empire if ya'll aint careful

(Canada's really just a big state anyway so I don't see that many significant differences. What happens to murica happens to us, ultimately)

InvisibleLoyola10
Stranger

Re: Why does it have to be so embarassing to be Canadian? [Re: Ezuma]
    #22985750 - 03/08/16 01:14 PM (8 years, 22 days ago)

Quote:

Ezuma said:
Quote:

Loyola10 said:

:rolleyes:

you don't maintain a position at the top through ignorance. It is exactly because america is #1 that the knowledge and vigilance of its people is essential. That attitude will tear down your empire if ya'll aint careful

(Canada's really just a big state anyway so I don't see that many significant differences. What happens to murica happens to us, ultimately)

Culturally Canada and the US are very similar in the grand scheme of things

OfflineEzuma
Gontish Wizard
Male User Gallery

Re: Why does it have to be so embarassing to be Canadian? [Re: Loyola10]
    #22985804 - 03/08/16 01:54 PM (8 years, 21 days ago)

yep. Most of the same criticisms apply too, I think a lot of the same problems with Americans apply to Canadians and vice versa, so the two being contrasted constantly strikes me as pretty dumb
I feel like I've got a lot more in common with people in Oregon for instance than people in Saskatchewan or Ontario or, god forbid, Quebec

Invisiblemillzy
Male

Re: Why does it have to be so embarassing to be Canadian? [Re: Loyola10] * 1
    #22985822 - 03/08/16 02:02 PM (8 years, 21 days ago)

it's stupid (and cliche, at this point) to assume that everyone in the u.s. is ignorant of world events. it also betrays a crucial misunderstanding of why people in say, europe, are more conscious of what's happening in other countries.

europe consists of countries that are all relatively close to each other. you'd have to be a moron to not know what's going on a few hours away.

the u.s. however is quite large. we're talking about an extremely dense, highly industrialized portion of the world that spans an entire continent with states that are large enough to be countries in themselves. so much happens here that it's impossible to keep up with what's going on even the next state over. i live in a state so large that i couldn't even tell you what's going on in certain parts of it. and that's not because i don't keep up with what's going on; it's because i live in a really huge, really complicated society.

canada is just not like the u.s. in this regard. it's not as densely populated and in a way it's much like europe with its provinces being like their own little countries. it makes sense for canadians to be a little more conscious of events because of these factors. but again, this is not a matter of culturally ingrained ignorance but rather one of density and geography.

--------------------
I'm up to my ears in unwritten words. - J.D. Salinger

OfflineSeriously_trippin
Cosmic Guru Ganesh
Male User Gallery

Re: Why does it have to be so embarassing to be Canadian? [Re: Patlal] * 1
    #22985855 - 03/08/16 02:14 PM (8 years, 21 days ago)

Quote:

Patlal said:
Quote:

Still_tripping said:

I didn't vote for the guy, but right there he hit the nail right on the head.

Quote:

Still_tripping said:
it is becoming an ever increasing embarrassment to have to admit to foreigners that I am Canadian,

We have been ranked the most respected country in the (again) this year. That means that next to anybody from any other country in the world, they are the embarassment, not you.

Yeah I have never heard someone be ashamed to be Canadian. In Cali we jokingly make fun of how awesome their health care

--------------------
R.I.P
Zombi3, Blue Helix
Modest Mouse
Zappa
Slothie
That Kid With The face
ShLong
Le Canard
split_by_nine
& Big Worm Forever
Etched in the sands of time in the shroomery and ever so beloved and deeply missed by many :heart:

InvisibleAhab McBathsalts
OTD Windmill Administrator
Other User Gallery Ultimate Champion: Blackjack

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Wind Turbine, AB Flag
Re: Why does it have to be so embarassing to be Canadian? [Re: millzy] * 1
    #22985857 - 03/08/16 02:15 PM (8 years, 21 days ago)

I would argue that media ownership concentration, campaign finance laws, and lobbyist / compensation culture of the courts is a more important factor than anything you listed above.

--------------------
"Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody's going to die."

Invisiblemillzy
Male

Re: Why does it have to be so embarassing to be Canadian? [Re: Ahab McBathsalts]
    #22985898 - 03/08/16 02:32 PM (8 years, 21 days ago)

Quote:

Ahab McBathsalts said:
I would argue that media ownership concentration, campaign finance laws, and lobbyist / compensation culture of the courts is a more important factor than anything you listed above.

i wouldn't disagree that those are factors. but the factors i listed seem to be at least as significant. european countries have corporate domination and all of the bullshit that comes along with it (to varying degrees, probably lesser than us in most cases, admittedly). but the main difference is that they're all practically right on top of each other. even in the uk you can jump on the eurostar and be in paris in a couple of hours. it's just not like that here, and we have a vastly different culture because of it.

--------------------

OfflineEzuma
Gontish Wizard
Male User Gallery

Re: Why does it have to be so embarassing to be Canadian? [Re: millzy] * 1
    #22985914 - 03/08/16 02:37 PM (8 years, 21 days ago)

mostly true, but there are differences in public education, from state to state, country to country, and those differences have consequences. Lots of ignorant folks in Canada too, they spend way too much time going over shit like french Canadian heritage rather than covering significant world events, so anyone who doesn't go on to further education or educate themselves ends up sadly ignorant of context :shrug:

Invisiblemillzy
Male

Re: Why does it have to be so embarassing to be Canadian? [Re: Ezuma] * 1
    #22986068 - 03/08/16 03:23 PM (8 years, 21 days ago)

my state's education system is certainly an embarrassment. and the sad fact of the matter is that today, you can earn a college degree without ever being exposed to any information regarding our political system.

i'm still hesitant to paint u.s. citizens in such broad strokes. yes, there are some fuck dumb people here. but we also have some staggering intellectuals. i think the truth is that as far as stupid people to smart people go, the ratio here is about the same as every other industrialized country. our pop culture tends to revel in stupidity, which gets around; we invented pop culture. but a truly wise person wouldn't judge us by those standards any more than they would judge another country based on its stereotypes.

--------------------

OfflineEzuma
Gontish Wizard
Male User Gallery

Re: Why does it have to be so embarassing to be Canadian? [Re: millzy]
    #22986080 - 03/08/16 03:27 PM (8 years, 21 days ago)

it varies hugely from state to state too, so there's that, some states have decent enough schools. I do think though better public education is a necessity for pretty much every country, there's always room for improvement

Invisiblemillzy
Male

Re: Why does it have to be so embarassing to be Canadian? [Re: Ezuma] * 1
    #22986090 - 03/08/16 03:31 PM (8 years, 21 days ago)

definitely. and with the deep south, there is a tradition of manipulating public education in order to serve the interests of power, stretching back to the antebellum era. white supremacy was taught as doctrine - as in you'd be publicly executed for speaking out against it - in order to secure public approval of slavery. and the big lie was that the poor farmers were just like the aristocracy, who benefitted from slavery. that agenda has gone away but the attitudes persist. now it's just business interests and religion instead of slavery.

--------------------

Edited by millzy (03/08/16 03:33 PM)

OfflineVisionary Tools
Male User Gallery

#22989505 - 03/09/16 03:58 PM (8 years, 20 days ago)

Fucking love Canada:bubbles::lahey::drunkdriver:

--------------------

OfflineEgo Questio
Ghost in the Machine
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: UK
Re: Why does it have to be so embarassing to be Canadian? [Re: Visionary Tools]
    #22989656 - 03/09/16 04:35 PM (8 years, 20 days ago)

Agreed. Canada fucking rules.

--------------------
Over one's mind and over one's body the individual is sovereign.
John Stuart Mill, On Liberty
(1806 - 1873)
My UPDATED UK supplies thread
My first trip report-Amsterdam wanderings
Stonesun's sclerotia infodump
Proudly discovered Highly Sensitive Person ~2009
To all you good gents, I say :hatsoff:

OfflineThatKidWithTheFace
R.I.P. ZIG R.I.P. Sloth
Male

Loc: All Good in Allgood
    #22989723 - 03/09/16 05:04 PM (8 years, 20 days ago)

Quote:

millzy said:
white supremacy was taught as doctrine - as in you'd be publicly executed for speaking out against it - .

You have no clue what you're talking about.

--------------------
Check Out My Beats
SoundCloud

[quote]Sheekle said:
[quote]ThatKidWithTheFace said:
Is this the same aunt that fucks dogs?[/quote]
u bet ur ass it is.[/quote]

OfflineMr. Wednesday
ODIN THE ALLFATHER
 User Gallery

Re: Why does it have to be so embarassing to be Canadian? [Re: ThatKidWithTheFace]
    #22989737 - 03/09/16 05:09 PM (8 years, 20 days ago)

Meanwhile in Canada..

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds USA West Coast Strains