Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
Exclusive Pictorial: How To Prepare San Pedro (Photos) * 8
    #2281314 - 01/28/04 03:26 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Here is my Pictorial on the Preparation of the San Pedro Cacti from Peru and Ecuador.

mjshroomer

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

mjshroomer

Edited by mjshroomer (01/29/04 12:42 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineDocDreadlock
meditator

Loc: SoCal
Re: Exclusive Pictorial: How To Prepare San Pedro (Photos) [Re: mjshroomer]
    #2281827 - 01/28/04 07:31 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Thanks mj, its a truly excellent and in depth guide!

--------------------
if your mind isnt clouded by unneccesary things, this is the best season of your life

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
    #2283943 - 01/29/04 12:39 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Okay, here is my contribution to the San Pedro Complex.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

San Pedro Preparation and my Understanding of How to do it correctly.

Especially in a manner as close to as possible, the way the Indians of Ecuador and Peru prepare it. Only with a few slight m modifications of employment..

Well I had two methods, one on paper and the other on film.

Editors for Psychedelic Illuminations conducted the filmed version. Those were lost when the publisher and his wife went through a violent divorce and the photos got trashed, along with many new articles.

And I wrote it all down somewhere and I finally found the text.

Now. Here is my story on the preparation of this cactus.

Years ago in the early 1970s I became friends with the employees of a plant in the Seattle University District.

What was really cool is that I found out that the owner of this plant shop was also the author, as well as the editor of several fine books on ?How to grow the Finest Marijuana Indoors under Halides.? And How to Grow Pot Hydroponically.? They also published ?How to Identify and Grow Psilocybe Mushrooms,? by Jule Stevens and Rich Gee.

And one of the employees and I went to the Seattle arboretum in 1975 and were playing Frisbee when I dropped the Frisbee to the ground at the Woodlawn Park section of the Seattle Arboretum.

As I bent down to pick up the Frisbee I noticed some interesting mushrooms in the field in which we were playing.

I then lifted one shroom out of the ground and realized it was Psilocybe semilanceata.

Well let me tell you guys. That really blew my mind.

I showed my friend this shroom and he mentioned to me that I since I showed an interest in these special mushrooms, maybe I would be interested in trying a San Pedro Cactus, which he told me, contained mescaline.

At that time in the early to middle 1970s, I learned that this cactus was from Peru and Ecuador and was used ritualistically in ceremonies similar to those associated with the ritualistic use of Peyotl. I soon read a few papers and learn that the natives of these countries prepared their cacti as a drink that they knew as Chimora.

The native peoples of Peru who used this cactus for medicinal purposes would sliced, dice and chop up the sliced star shaped pieces and then boiled the material for hour after hour to get the alkaloids to mix in with the water. Sometimes the cooking preparation took from 8-24 hours. After that the drink would be passed through a cloth and the liquid collected in clay drinking vessels which enabled the Indians to partake of the sacred juice for a most rewarding experience.

In 1976, the cost of such a cactus in the United States was $3.00 for a one to two pound cutting (Se fig. 1 below).

and that such size would be equal to or the closes equivalent to the dosage of 4 to 6 buttons of fresh peyotl (See Peyote fig. 2 below).

In chemical terms that amount of the 1-2 pounds of San Pedro cactus was the equivalent and/or equal to 300 to 500 milligrams of pharmaceutical mescaline sulfate. This 1-2 pound San Pedro cacti dose was the same as a dose of 4-6 fresh buttons of peyotl (and/or ? dried ounce of buttons) consumed by members of the Native American Church.

My friends at the Indoor Sun Shoppe told me I would have to slice and cook the cactus for about four hours or so and then drink the remaining liquid.

So I purchased about ten of the cacti and planted all but one of them in my home. Several of them I kept at the now out of business, ?Beauty and the Books? used bookstore in the University district of Seattle.

Well I chopped up the cactus and placed it into a small 4 quart cooking pot and began to boil the chopped pieces.

I let this goop boil for a few hours and then strained off the pulp from the cactus and waited for it to cool off to drink it.

And I did.

After two hours I felt only a little tingle and i could not sleep the whole night but I never got high from it.

At that time, High Time Magazine was just one year and half years old with about six issues published and now they were going monthly. In the first year of 12 issues, there were many ads for 6? cuttings of San Pedro Cactus for ten dollars each per cutting.

I imagined that hundreds of interested people had bought this cactus, cooked it, drank the liquid (not enough to effect anyone), and then when nothing psychoactive occurred, went on thinking that they had royally been ripped off for their ten dollars. What a shame.

Okay. So I learned a few days later from my friends that I had not prepared the cactus in the right manner and was apparently in too much of a hurry in my method of preparation.

I recalled that the Indians of Peru and Ecuador who use these cacti (13 different species contain mescaline) have to boil the preparation in a black cauldron (kettle) for at least 12 to 24 four hours. However, I of the Western World know the secret of the blender. Something the Indian does not have access to in his jungle. The magical Electrical Blender.

So here is one of many proper methods for preparing and cooking this cactus. And yes, I have used this method since the late 1970s and found it to be the best method I employ.

The Photographs in this article and the preparation of this cactus were prepared on the Island of Koh Samui where there are no laws against the consumption of this magical drink known as Chimora. After I returned from SE Asia I wrote the text and now I will present here a step-by-step photo pictorial on the preparation process for cooking this beautiful wonderful exotic magical entheogenic gift from the gods.

HOW TO PREPARE SAN PEDRO CACTUS FOR HUMAN CONSUMPTION.

Items used in the preparation of Chimora by a Shaman of the Western Civilization. These items include a blender, an 8-quart cooking pot, A spoon, preferably a wooden spatula, 2 empty potato salad containers and some old cloth from a t-shirt to be used for straining (see fig. 3).

(1): Take one ? one foot section of a cutting of Trichecerius Pachanoi (see fig. 4).

Or a cactus approximately this size of a little more than one foot and 2- ? inches wide (see fig. 5).

Notice that the end of the cactus is shaped like a star, usually with from four to nine ribs (see fig. 6).

and slice it like a cucumber into star sections (see fig. 7).

More slices of stars (see fig. 8).

And more stars. (see fig. 9).

It is always always faster to chop the whole cactus and then start to blend it cup by cup.

and then chop those star sections into quarter pieces as seen in (see fig. 10).

(2): Fill one cup of cactus to one cup of water (fig. 11).

and pour mixture into the blender (Fig. 12).

(3) Now blend this mixture until the two cups of cactus bits and cup of water mix to the top of the blender (Fig. 13).

Blend. Repeat process several times until the whole cactus is in the blender. You will most likely have to do this step in several steps. After blending each cup of cactus and blending you will pour it one cup at a time into the blender., blend and then pour the mixture into a large cooking pot of at least 3-5 quarts of water.

(4): Cook on a slow low heat until the mixture is even. Once you have blended this mixture into a pot to boil, the cactus pulp is separated from the water and sits on top of the mixture (fig. 14).

Once the water starts to boil, the pulp will rise to the top of the pot and boil over (fig. 15).

So it is very important that you use, hopefully a gas stove because you can better regulate the heat of the cooking temperature. You can also leave the spurs (spines, needles) on the cactus since the boiling eventually softens them into a sting like piece of material. Therefore the spines will not be harmful. Cooking renders them soft. Now, as I mentioned above, it is important to stir the mixture while it is rejoining itself into one liquid and begins to turn green like the skin of the cactus (fig. 16).

Always stir and turn the heat as low as possible for the first half hour of cooking. Slowly but surely the green goop will eventually remix with the water until you have one substance in the pot. A pulpy green Kermit looking glop of goop. A quick mention that this goop of green in the pan has a consistency of glue or snot. See these next four images to show you how snotty this mixture can be (Figs. 17).

And the following two next images after this one to show the gooey gluey snottly composition of the green goop.

in fig. 18 i am still stirring the goop.

And still remixing and stiring the goop (fig. 19).

(5). AFTER THE WATER AND PULP HAVE REJOINED THEN YOU CAN INCREASE THE AMOUNT OF HEAT TO THE BOIL SO IT WILL BOIL CONTINOUSLY BUT NOT RISE OVER THE PAN ONTO THE STOVE.

Now this next image shows you how the mixture is starting to remix and boil down. (fig. 20).

(6): Continue boiling for two to four hours until you have just about 12 to 16 ounces of goo left in the bottom of the pan (figs. 21).

Do not burn. During this 2-4 hour period, you can always add another 12 to 16 ounces of water or more and boil a little longer if you like. Eventually it becomes a messy glob of gooey gluey goop as seen in this next image (fig. 22).

(7): Now Take your blender and place an old t-shirt pocket onto the top of the blender as if making a filter out of some of your old t-shirt. Make a pocket into the top of the blender with the t-shirt (fig. 23).

Then pour the liquid mixture from the pot back into the cloth section you have made a cup of in the top of the blender Fig. 24).

The liquid will slowly seep into this cloth pocket and drip into the blender. Keep repeating this process until all of the remaining pulp is in the pocket of cloth in the blender.

(8): Now take a piece of string and tie it around the cloth so that it is closed up at the top of the blender, thus keeping the cloth ball over the top of the blender. Attached this string above you to a kitchen cabinet door and let the ball of goop trapped in the cloth dangle over the top of the blender so the juice drips into the blender with the remainder of the liquid. After fifteen minutes the Cactus pulp should have cooled down considerably and then you can squeeze the remaining liquid into the blender (see fig. 25).

(9): Next, let the liquid cool off for a while until it is warm enough to drink and will not burn your throat.

(10): Next take the pulp cloth out of the blender and untie the string form it and open it up to see how much is left. This is just for your personal information (see fig. 26)

As you may have noticed, the amount of space shrunk consideravbly after boiling. You can now throw this pulp away. It is useless and now inert of properties.

(10): Finally, take the blender juice and pour it into one of the two cups you used to prepare the cactus for cooking (see fig. 27).

Now take one half hour to drink this glass of goop.

Remember that it is very easy to open your mouth and swallow a big shot of cactus juice.

It is not the same as chewing horrible bitter tasting fresh buttons of Peyote, which make you gag. Each time you take a swallow of the mixture you can take an equal drink of whatever you want to to counter the tatse of the mildly bitter tasting of the San Pedro Juice.

It is not as bad as one would think and does not create nauseated feelings when swallowed instead of chewed where the taste in the latter stays in your mouth.

Remember the reason to drink this liquid slow is to make the come-on to your system be gentle and not shock your central nervous system. The Indians of Peru do so with the San Pedro as do the North American Indians do when consuming four to 6 or more buttons of peyote.

(11): I think you will find this a cool way to prepare the cactus.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Best Regards,

mjshroomer

OfflineAuroricDistortions
~~~~~~~
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Polar Springs
    #2284380 - 01/29/04 02:57 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Beautiful.  Thank you for sharing.
:mushroom2: :mushroom2:

--------------------

Offlinebigslick
science fictionwriter

Loc: just behind you
    #2284459 - 01/29/04 03:24 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Hey MJ does it give you pesonally any stomach problems? I've done some chopped up dried peruvianus nice trip but I did have to puke at about an hour after injestion.

--------------------

Everything I write is a total work of fiction

OfflineThe_Red_Crayon
Exposer of Truth
Male User Gallery

Loc: Smokey Mtns. TN Flag
Re: Exclusive Pictorial: How To Prepare San Pedro (Photos) [Re: bigslick]
    #2284471 - 01/29/04 03:27 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Do you think we can get this stickied its very good guide...

Offlineneuro
Phytophiliac
 User Gallery

Loc: Rigel 7
    #2284971 - 01/29/04 06:33 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

if you don't have this bookmarked already, i've added this thread to the useful links section of the faq

Offlinewookie
life enthusiast
Male User Gallery

Loc: the north state (Californ...
    #2288327 - 01/30/04 09:23 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

This is a great post MJ. I really like the pics. Do you know how much fresh cactus weight goes into the cup at the begining?

--------------------
-=* dUMb \/\/00kIe *=-

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Re: Exclusive Pictorial: How To Prepare San Pedro (Photos) [Re: wookie]
    #2288428 - 01/30/04 09:54 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

I tend to fill 4-6 or 7 cups of the material from a good one and a half pound piece. IT seems T. pachanoi and the other related species all are equal in potency. One pound and over can be equivelent to approximately 300 to 500 milligrams of mescaline sulfate. 500 mgs is the OD threshold dosage level meaning if yu did not eat mescaline before it would be a good high at a one pound piece. I am a little oolder and wiser as to dosage but could medically give a proper dosage if i was liscense to do so.

. It was probably a much freer world when there were no anti-drug laws.

Like why do I need a degree to study what I love. ITs all about money. Every thing is tainted by money. even the shrooms.

have a shroomy day

Anonymous

#2291057 - 02/01/04 02:10 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

yah, someone will read this and go slang cups of this cacti juice now :rolleyes:  50 bucks a cup!

OfflineAgarico
arrrf 3 8 7
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Netherlands Flag
    #2291221 - 02/01/04 04:22 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

cool, you could eventually add this side option (peeling)

InvisibleAdden
I'm a teapot
Loc: Flag
Re: Exclusive Pictorial: How To Prepare San Pedro (Photos) [Re: Agarico]
    #2293697 - 02/02/04 09:06 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

How did you get such a clean peel going? Does it make the drink less bitter? Any effect at all on the final product?

OfflineAgarico
arrrf 3 8 7
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Netherlands Flag
Re: Exclusive Pictorial: How To Prepare San Pedro (Photos) [Re: Adden]
    #2294309 - 02/02/04 01:41 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

s2dope said:
How did you get such a clean peel going?

Making a straight cut from top to      end between each rib before pulling it off.

Quote:

Does it make the drink less bitter? Any effect at all on the final product? 

Outher skin is like a plastic nail layer, it's heavy on the stomach, hard to digest beacause of it's structure, not a matter of taste.

Probably you also eliminate it completely while filtering but I prefere it to happen before blending  :smile:

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: looking for zeebras, n. c...
Re: Exclusive Pictorial: How To Prepare San Pedro (Photos) [Re: Adden]
    #2300035 - 02/04/04 09:28 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

How did you get such a clean peel going?

this is easily acheved with practice and when there are few blemishes/scabing on the surface of the cactus.

Quote:

Does it make the drink less bitter?

no, as the skin had no taste. it is merely a waxpaper-like film.

Quote:

Any effect at all on the final product?

this depends on your method of ingestion. if you plan to make san pedro syrup, preform and extraction of sorts, or any other proceedure that involves proccessing/plending/juicing/etc. then there is no need. if you plan to eat the cactus raw or dried, removing the skin and the inner pithy core is all but nescecary, as these parts are not digestable and would be difficult to chew.

btw MJ: this is a fine pictorial :smile:.

[edit: lol agarico, i didn't evn notive you had replied too. btw, i know from experience it can take a steady or practiced hand to make an even slice between the ribs of a cactus.]

--------------------

Attn PWN hunters: If you should come across a bluing Psilocybe matching P. pellicolusa please smell it.
If you detect a scent reminiscent of Anethole (anise) please preserve a specimen or two for study and please PM me.

Offlinepsilocybespawn
ol bastard

Loc: The Heartland Of America
    #2301696 - 02/04/04 04:23 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Excellent write-up MJ! :thumbup:

OfflineEkstaza
stranger than most
 User Gallery

Loc: Around the corner
    #2305641 - 02/05/04 03:11 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Most teks for extracting mescaline from cactus suggest that making the water slightly acidic by using lemon juice, or some other form of citric acid, would make the mescaline more soluable in water.

Is there a reason besides just personal preference that you did not do the same?

--------------------
YOUR EXPERIENCE WITH ANY GIVEN DRUG ISN'T THE DEFINITIVE MEASURE OF THE DRUGS EFFECTS.

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Re: Exclusive Pictorial: How To Prepare San Pedro (Photos) [Re: Ekstaza]
    #2305860 - 02/05/04 03:56 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Basically the taste does not bother me in the least. And as for sucking out the very last drop of alkaloid, That doesn't interest me as I just drink the juice, thank the mescalitos and then me and my gierlfried have sex for ten hours.

Hehehehe.

No seriously, I never used any vitamins or acidics to cook the cactus. I personally do not like lemon or lime flavors in drinks and I hate it in restaurants when they serve you water w2ith lemon in it.

Anyway, as I noted somewhere, anyone can make their own brew anyway they can. I used this method since the 1970s and it works fine for me.

Have a shroomy day.

mj

OfflineEkstaza
stranger than most
 User Gallery

Loc: Around the corner
    #2306876 - 02/05/04 09:12 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

I know what you mean about the 10 hour sex and all. My last sex during mescaline lasted all day. It really brought out the rabbit in me. :grin:

--------------------
YOUR EXPERIENCE WITH ANY GIVEN DRUG ISN'T THE DEFINITIVE MEASURE OF THE DRUGS EFFECTS.

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: looking for zeebras, n. c...
    #2308063 - 02/06/04 09:32 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

adding lemmon or other acidic juice does not make it taste like the juice you use, it makes it salty in addition the the present bitterness.

--------------------

Attn PWN hunters: If you should come across a bluing Psilocybe matching P. pellicolusa please smell it.
If you detect a scent reminiscent of Anethole (anise) please preserve a specimen or two for study and please PM me.

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Re: Exclusive Pictorial: How To Prepare San Pedro (Photos) [Re: canid]
    #2308890 - 02/06/04 02:13 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

AS I saisd, I do not like lemon juice or Lime juice or that kind of taste period so there is n0o reason I would add it to the mixture. AS I also noted, The taste of the cati does not bother me aat all because I know how to swallow without tasting it.

mj

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract