Home | Community | Message Board

NorthSpore.com BOOMR Bag!
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineBadWolf
Stranger
chlorine, hydroton and the PMP
    #22767495 - 01/11/16 08:07 PM (8 years, 3 months ago)

So i soaked my hydroton in a bleach water mix for my pmp, and ended up using to much bleach to the point where it smells like a your local gyms jacuzzi. I've rinsed the hydroton off fairly well but there still is a lingering smell of chlorine in the pod. My concern is that given the design of the PMP using condensation from the resting water in the tub, that the excess bleach that is left in the hydroton will leach out and become a mix of chlorine water that is constantly producing condensation mixed with the bleach and will have a negative effect on mushroom growth. Note that its only a lingering smell and not as strong as before.

Should i be worried and play it safe and scrape my current hydroton and get some fresh from the store and start over minus the bleach this time.
Or will it be ok to use as is after another rinse or two.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleMad Season
hookers and blackjack
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: chlorine, hydroton and the PMP [Re: BadWolf]
    #22767502 - 01/11/16 08:08 PM (8 years, 3 months ago)

Is this a troll post? :paranoid:

--------------------
contam and car window art
How to shroomery like a pro! (Seriously, everyone read this!)
Improve your sterile techniques! (A comprehensive guide to agar)
Links upon links of literally EVERYTHING UP TO DATE

AMU Q&A
No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

OfflineBadWolf
Stranger
Re: chlorine, hydroton and the PMP [Re: Mad Season]
    #22767567 - 01/11/16 08:23 PM (8 years, 3 months ago)

nope. i would hope not

OfflineGroo
sola dosis facit venenum
 User Gallery

#22767574 - 01/11/16 08:25 PM (8 years, 3 months ago)

PMP is oldschool 2005 technology no one here even knows how to use one any more not that it ever was worth using.. Sgfc is top of the line... Bleach vapor. What are you doing man? Why are you.. Oh never mind. Go download/watch lets grow mushrooms nd welcome to the future.

Edited by Groo (01/11/16 08:27 PM)

InvisibleMad Season
hookers and blackjack
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #22767578 - 01/11/16 08:26 PM (8 years, 3 months ago)

:wellthatshorrifying:

I know its the last thing you'd want to hear after making a fruiting chamber, but you chose the wrong chamber :/. Those are so old school. Look up sgfc, and watch the mushroom videos by RR

--------------------
contam and car window art
How to shroomery like a pro! (Seriously, everyone read this!)
Improve your sterile techniques! (A comprehensive guide to agar)
Links upon links of literally EVERYTHING UP TO DATE

AMU Q&A
No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

InvisiblebodhisattaMDiscordReddit
Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Milky way
Trusted Cultivator
Re: chlorine, hydroton and the PMP [Re: Mad Season]
    #22767614 - 01/11/16 08:33 PM (8 years, 3 months ago)

the title made my cringe.
then I thought it was a troll post
and now I'm just thinking how the hell with all the good info out there did you pick the needle in the haystack bad info

OfflineGroo
sola dosis facit venenum
 User Gallery

Re: chlorine, hydroton and the PMP [Re: bodhisatta]
    #22767625 - 01/11/16 08:38 PM (8 years, 3 months ago)

PMP appeals to most noobs. If you take 100 ppl that have never seen a sgfc or a pmp and asked which they thought would be better. Most people would probably look at the sgfc and laugh especially if the holes were drilled without measuring.

The PMP looks and SEEMS like it would work just fucking swell but the truth is, It doesn't. I even have a couple air dispensers from when I went frivolously to buy mushroom shit the first time.

OfflineBadWolf
Stranger
    #22767630 - 01/11/16 08:39 PM (8 years, 3 months ago)

that i cant account for, but im rather curious as to why the pmp is out did it just never work well for the masses? never saw much that was negative about it.

Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: chlorine, hydroton and the PMP [Re: Groo]
    #22767631 - 01/11/16 08:40 PM (8 years, 3 months ago)

that's probably true. and people think with all the holes it's going to get contaminated. when exactly the opposite is true.

fresh air wards off contamination and a PMP encourages it in most circumstances

Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
    #22767634 - 01/11/16 08:41 PM (8 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

BadWolf said:
that i cant account for, but im rather curious as to why the pmp is out did it just never work well for the masses? never saw much that was negative about it.

people don't spend their time trashing the PMP but there are plenty of threads like this one full of PMP hate

look for things that have a trail of success would be easier than things that have warnings

OfflineGroo
sola dosis facit venenum
 User Gallery

#22767671 - 01/11/16 08:49 PM (8 years, 3 months ago)

I was so sure in my mind that PMP was the way to go even after watching this video and reading the comments.

Yes the sgfc is an ugly sonsofbitches. Yes it is the best so far with almost nothing. Convert to a sgfc and again watch those vids.

Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
    #22767679 - 01/11/16 08:51 PM (8 years, 3 months ago)

yea for one youtube and erowid are a bane to amateur mushroom cultivation. unless the first thing you find is let's grow mushrooms on youtube you're fucked.

I like hearing from new people that find things like the PMP though it helps me think of ways to make the good info easier to find

OfflineBadWolf
Stranger
    #22767686 - 01/11/16 08:53 PM (8 years, 3 months ago)

if i may ask
what was the achilles heel behind the pmp.

Invisible13shroomsM
Lightning Shaman
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: IN ETHERS TORSION FIELD
Trusted Cultivator
    #22767696 - 01/11/16 08:55 PM (8 years, 3 months ago)

warm temps + standing stagnant water = bacterial blooms galore

not enough fae so mold thrives

or you stand around manually adjusting the environmental conditions all the time

but as for your chlorine issue 
RRs notes
you can also dip tissue into a ten percent bleach solution for a couple of minutes. Believe it or not, the mycelium can withstand this, but molds and bacteria can't. The bleach works really well when cloning dry tissue. Live tissue needs a week or two to recover from the bleach, but dry tissue is dormant so hardly even gets smacked. DUNKING IN BLEACH
*I never have. If anything, the chlorine will help kill bacteria. It sure doesn't hinder the mycelium.
*I put the whole darn terrarium in the shower, and let cold water run for an hour or two to wash it clean. Of course, I have holes in the bottom of the terrarium for the water to escape. If there has been a contaminant outbreak, I'll pour some water mixed with bleach on first, then let that sit for half an hour before turning on the shower. Before any of the 'conserve water' people jump my ass, bear in mind I live where the more water we use, the less the rivers and reservoirs flood. If you live in a desert with limited water supplies, simply bleach soak and rinse the perlite if contaminants were present. Otherwise, simply rehydrate the perlite, drain well and use. Perlite is a mineral that will last for many years. REUSING PERLITE

hope that helps you not worry, just rinse better next time.  :super:

--------------------
:takingnotes:A M U:helpdesk:
Click here ^ for the AMU forum
VVV AMUs Free Active/Edible/Exotic Spore Print or Syringe or Edible Culture Trade Thread VVV
"Man is the sex organ of the machine world" ~  Marshall McLuhan

Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
    #22767711 - 01/11/16 08:58 PM (8 years, 3 months ago)

the air pump doesn't provide enough fresh air, pumps are quite inadequate. they're made for getting a few PPM of oxygen into fish tank water. while they do get air into a fruiting chamber it's more than just having o2 availiable it's about whisking moisture off the surface. in a PMP evaporation off the surface of cakes is limited. rather the cakes gather up more moisture because people often attach a humidifier or just over do it on misting. water logged suffocated cakes produce for shit. hydroton doesn't evaporate like perlite and perlite and hydroton are both useless unless air flows thru them. the air pump is a POS but in a SGFC you have maybe 50 holes under the bottom and it's elevated so air flows thru the perlite and keeps the chamber at 50-80% humidity most of the day. the few milimeters from the surface of the cake is going to be at 90-99% humidity, you dunk and roll the cake in verm so  water evaporates from the moist verm into the constant fresh air surrounding the cakes in the SGFC. that's a huge pinning trigger. you mist to replace the moisture maybe 2-5 times a day depending on how dry the room the whole SGFC is in. use your eyes not "3x a day someone told me so".

read the links in my signature, click around

edit. 13's right
and most of our mushroom fungi tolerate basic conditions(bleach,lye,lime,soap)

InvisibleMajorDick
notbeingadick
Male User Gallery

Loc: Westchestertonfieldville,... Flag
    #22767747 - 01/11/16 09:04 PM (8 years, 3 months ago)

The negative is the lack of passive air exchange.

I think PMP got its name because some poor guy just used stuff he could find for free. Plastic tubs were kinda expensive in the 90s.

It gets me when someone posts that they went out and purchased an aquarium for a PMP.

Anyways. The availability of resources and materials changes over time. That's all

5 posts while i typed that. Damn im slow.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck