Home | Community | Message Board

NorthSpore.com BOOMR Bag!
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineNightPuma
Stranger
PF tek and I just don't know... *DELETED*
    #22665870 - 12/17/15 12:09 AM (8 years, 3 months ago)

Post deleted by NightPuma

Reason for deletion: Waste of a post.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflinecronicrFacebook
 User Gallery

Loc: Van Isle Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: PF tek and I just don't know... [Re: NightPuma]
    #22665888 - 12/17/15 12:16 AM (8 years, 3 months ago)

for the fact taht you did everything to a T you did nothing to a T...sorry but it's true, half pint jars 1 cc per jar no foil, fuck ralph athough he ain't your problem,use a sab not a gb.
go through a sponsor here and get some jars but i'm guessing you have water content/jar size issues

--------------------

It doesn't matter what i think of you...all that matters is clean spawn

I'm tired do me a favor

InvisibleJacobStorm
psychedelic cartel
I'm a teapot

#22665889 - 12/17/15 12:16 AM (8 years, 3 months ago)

Well what a mess. Sorry about your luck.

Are you using actual 1/2 pint jars? Or are these "glasses" your talking about drinking cups?

Pictures please. But from what it sounds like their stalling because your jars aren't the right size.

The bigger the jars get for BRF cakes the slower the colonization rate is. Its just too compacted and heavy for the mycelium to squeeze past the jar and the mix.

--------------------
Rogger Rabbits Mushroom growing videos

Ethnobotanical garden forum

Inocuole tea TEK

azur said: If you like 6th grade results, then 6th grade projects are great.

InvisibleJacobStorm
psychedelic cartel
I'm a teapot

Re: PF tek and I just don't know... [Re: JacobStorm]
    #22665895 - 12/17/15 12:18 AM (8 years, 3 months ago)

If you cant get 1/2 pint jars for whatever reason send me a PM I have an ungodly amount and I'll send you some.

--------------------
Rogger Rabbits Mushroom growing videos

Ethnobotanical garden forum

Inocuole tea TEK

azur said: If you like 6th grade results, then 6th grade projects are great.

OfflineMachiavelliavore
Vermiculite Hater
 User Gallery

Loc: The Sporetorn States
Re: PF tek and I just don't know... [Re: JacobStorm]
    #22665965 - 12/17/15 12:42 AM (8 years, 3 months ago)

I got prints from ralph.us and they were fine, though it seems he is a sketch vendor.  I wouldn't assume everything he sent you was bunk off that bat.  Try out my microwave agar tek and put spores on agar to see if your inoculant is the problem.
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=22526843&page=0&vc=1#22526843
Working on an easier tek, but that's all I have as of now that I know works.

I was under the impression that the drinking glass thing was a pretty standard substitute for BRF jars.  If there is water boiling in that could screw it up.

I'd suggest using something like a 3:1:1 verm:water:brf mix to try to create a more hospitable and faster colonizing environment.

I highly recommend pp5 containers from the dollartree if you have one.  Since pp5 pints float, they are very easy to steam in a pot.  No verm barrier, one silicon glob for an injection port, one piece of tyvek for gas exchange.  Make holes with a flamed nail or soldering iron.

--------------------

I spawned some popcorn casings and had double-overlay cause I didn't put enough hydrogen peroxide in my automated aquarium mister.  I only got one mushroom so I cut off the head part where the seeds fall from and put it in a jar of LC and sprayed it all over a tin of PF cakes I made with gravel, cardboard, and bisquick in my microwave.  I think it will be good cause B+ is so potent.
Triggered yet?

Only a square would say "a cube is a cube."

No, this does not look right...

OfflineNightPuma
Stranger
Re: PF tek and I just don't know... [Re: Machiavelliavore]
    #22665974 - 12/17/15 12:45 AM (8 years, 3 months ago)

The glasses are widemouthed drinking cups. I am aware that larger cakes take longer to colonize, but many have zero signs of colonization whatsoever. The glasses are about 1/2 pint size exactly, so I don't know if that's it...

OfflineNightPuma
Stranger
    #22665980 - 12/17/15 12:46 AM (8 years, 3 months ago)

Any other ideas? The glass substitution is extremely common, sorry to cronicr...

OfflinecronicrFacebook
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #22665985 - 12/17/15 12:48 AM (8 years, 3 months ago)

those glasses should be fine, what is your timeline at? no prob at all i've used them alot:wink:

--------------------

I'm tired do me a favor

OfflineMachiavelliavore
Vermiculite Hater
 User Gallery

#22665986 - 12/17/15 12:49 AM (8 years, 3 months ago)

How close was the water level to the lip of the glasses.  Have you taken one out and felt it for water content.  It should not feel wet.

How long has it been.  Different sporeprints will germinate along different timelines, and it can varry from 2 days to 3 weeks.  Did all cakes that worked come from a single syringe?

--------------------

I spawned some popcorn casings and had double-overlay cause I didn't put enough hydrogen peroxide in my automated aquarium mister.  I only got one mushroom so I cut off the head part where the seeds fall from and put it in a jar of LC and sprayed it all over a tin of PF cakes I made with gravel, cardboard, and bisquick in my microwave.  I think it will be good cause B+ is so potent.
Triggered yet?

OfflineNightPuma
Stranger
    #22666020 - 12/17/15 01:01 AM (8 years, 3 months ago)

I order syringes, not spore prints. I again try to take as little risk as possible, which includes making a syringe out of a spore print.

The jars I generally place about 16 of into a pot with a few ceramic plates in the bottom so the glasses are not touching the water "boiling" in there. Then I pressure cook as normal. But at best, 8 are touching the ceramic plates while the other 8 are on top of those jars. I take care to not lot the bottom jars get boiled, but even if that was the case I would probably be doing about 50% success rate right? Meaning that the 8 on top are DEFINITELY not getting boiled. I am not trying to argue or anything and maybe that is it, but cooking the substrate is unlikely considering I actually do PC a little less long due to my dry climate (about 30 min) and contam is again not really my issue.

I will consider it of course, but I actually kind of assumed with a shorter PC time I would have a problem with contam but it isn't as prevalent here in the desert.

Invisibleenlightened seed
Utopia is a state of mind
Male User Gallery

Loc: amongst civilization
Re: PF tek and I just don't know... [Re: Machiavelliavore] * 1
    #22666022 - 12/17/15 01:01 AM (8 years, 3 months ago)

ralph is the man!

if you did not use a pressure cooker that may be your problem.

or if your material is packed to tight in the jars. that could be a problem.

Edited by enlightened seed (12/17/15 01:03 AM)

OfflineNightPuma
Stranger
    #22666024 - 12/17/15 01:03 AM (8 years, 3 months ago)

Also, when I take the stalled ones out, they still feel fairly moist not unlike how they were 3 weeks ago when I did this. BTW it's been 3 weeks.

Male User Gallery

#22666027 - 12/17/15 01:04 AM (8 years, 3 months ago)

buy some jars online and try them maybe it is something to do with your process.

OfflineNightPuma
Stranger
    #22666029 - 12/17/15 01:05 AM (8 years, 3 months ago)

Well, somewhat drier it has been 3 weeks.

OfflineNightPuma
Stranger
    #22666034 - 12/17/15 01:07 AM (8 years, 3 months ago)

I pack it in loosely as per the PF instructions...

OfflinecronicrFacebook
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #22666040 - 12/17/15 01:09 AM (8 years, 3 months ago)

they would colonize faster if it were drying out:thumbup: 3 weeks ain't much to worry about rom spores considering it's probably been less then a couple weeks since any germination happened

--------------------

I'm tired do me a favor

OfflineMachiavelliavore
Vermiculite Hater
 User Gallery

#22666042 - 12/17/15 01:09 AM (8 years, 3 months ago)

Any smell?  Your climate is irrelevant for sterilizing your substrate.  30 minutes is probably too short.  While you are killing the mold spores, mold spores are not what is hard to kill.  It's bacterial endospores.  Any milky looking stuff in the jars, wetspots, or smell?

And how is that following the tek, no offense.  Standard BRF PF tek calls for 60mins PC, or 90 minutes+ steaming.  Those jars are probably just hitting temperature in the core shortly before you end your PC cycle...

Have any of them fully colonized or have even the ones that showed growth stalled.

You are correct, you could expect 50% success if water were boiling into the bottom jars and that was the problem.

With ralph, buying syringes may be riskier than buying prints from all the reviews people have given him.  I think your poor sterilization procedure is giving you bacteria.

--------------------

Triggered yet?

Male User Gallery

#22666053 - 12/17/15 01:14 AM (8 years, 3 months ago)

nightpuma, that kind of makes me feel good that i can do something that someone with a biology degree can not(as of yet).

trial and error my friend, you will figure it out if you so choose and dedicate some time to doing so.

OfflineNightPuma
Stranger
Re: PF tek and I just don't know... [Re: enlightened seed]
    #22666092 - 12/17/15 01:25 AM (8 years, 3 months ago)

I have 3 contams out of 64 glasses. I am not ruling it out, but I feel like I would have considerably more if it was contam. It just doesn't start or they stall...much more that have a small white spot the size of a dime in two or three places which isn't nearly enough mycelium for 3 weeks time.

Very juvenile comment about my biology degree...I spend my days dealing with more, you know, humans and their issues. University wasn't so big on magic mushroom cultivation...

OfflineMachiavelliavore
Vermiculite Hater
 User Gallery

#22666105 - 12/17/15 01:28 AM (8 years, 3 months ago)

Bacteria isn't necessarilly easy to spot unless it's in high proportion, especially in cakes, where it's nasty jizz is soaked into the substrate more than with grains.  Most likely bacterial areas are closer to the core where heat penetration was slower.

You really want to start evaluation your PF cakes growth rate from spore germination, not total time.  As I said, spore germination itself can take 3 weeks.  Or you could have a fully colonized cake from a 3 day germination in two weeks if your lucky.

--------------------

Triggered yet?

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules