Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleLana
Head Banana
Female

Loc: www.MycoSupply.com
Using ampicillin instead of gentamicin sulfate
    #2255586 - 01/20/04 09:31 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Hi y'all,
My friend was wondering if you could use ampicillin instead of gentamicin sulfate when making antibiotic agar plates?

Ampicillin is widely used in fighting ecoli and other bacterial infections.  I've done a lot of homework on gentamicin sulfate for my friend and she doesn't feel too safe using it (lots of side effects).

Anywho!  If any of you have any ideas or opinions on this please post :smile:

Have a good day and thank you very much

Lana

--------------------
Myco Supply - Distributors of Mycological Products
http://www.MycoSupply.com

The Premiere Source for Mushroom Growing Supplies.
Visit us online or call us toll free

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineragadinks
MrBeatle
 User Gallery

Re: Using ampicillin instead of gentamicin sulfate [Re: Lana]
    #2255783 - 01/20/04 10:45 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

It seems that ampicillin is used when making agar for mycelium.
I have found following excerpt of a recipe here:

Quote:

1. Murashige & Skoog medium (MS) (Table 5) was supplied with antibiotics (50 ppm streptomycin and ampicillin, 5 ppm benomyl) and then sterile filtered (0.2 um Sartorius cellulose acetate filter). MS was then mixed with an autoclaved agar solution (final agar concentration 1.2%) with 0.05% activated charcoal (to adsorb toxic compounds in autoclaved agar), before addition to 9-cm petri dishes.

Invisibletripndicular
My Minds Eye IsRhizomorphic

Loc: Bowels of HELL
Re: Using ampicillin instead of gentamicin sulfate [Re: ragadinks]
    #2255817 - 01/20/04 11:01 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Ampicllian can take the heat huh ? Always thought it would be killed during the heating ? Rendering it useless .

--------------------
Any information I give is not intended to aide you in the production of potentialy illegal substances !None of my exp comes from growing illegal varities , so take it as you will .
So with that said here is our mission statement .

Then the priest fell into a trance or swoon,& said unto the Queen of heaven ; Write unto us the ordeals; write unto us the rituals; write unto us the law !

Offlineragadinks
MrBeatle
 User Gallery

Re: Using ampicillin instead of gentamicin sulfate [Re: tripndicular]
    #2255877 - 01/20/04 11:27 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

No, I think it wont withstand autoclaving. You have to add it when the agar has cooled down to a certain point (as you have to do with peroxid).

InvisiblePrisoner#1
Even Dumber ThanAdvertized!
 User Gallery

Loc: Pvt. Pubfag NutSuck
Trusted Cultivator
    #2256165 - 01/20/04 01:21 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Lana, you can add it before or after autoclaving...after is better... it will break down but it still does pretty well if added before...

ragadinks...the agar above is excellent for plant propagation...

Offlineragadinks
MrBeatle
 User Gallery

Re: Using ampicillin instead of gentamicin sulfate [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #2256843 - 01/20/04 05:02 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

How expensive is ampicillin ? Gentamycin is quite expensive and maybe I could use ampicillin instead of it.

InvisibleJoshua
Holoman
Male

Loc: The Matrix
    #2258372 - 01/20/04 11:56 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

The side effects are listed as from human interactions in a clinical dosage. I don't think the quantity used in culturing on petris and then transfering to a fruiting substrate and then ingested by a human would be measurable, if that it would be negligable.

If you have any references that might sway me, pleace post the info.

Joshua

--------------------
The Shroomery Bookstore

Great books for inquiring minds!

"Life After Death is Saprophytic!"

OfflineBasidiocarp
Dr. BunsenHoneydew
Male User Gallery

Loc: Rogue's Island, USA
Re: Using ampicillin instead of gentamicin sulfate [Re: Joshua]
    #2258953 - 01/21/04 03:50 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Joshua said:
The side effects are listed as from human interactions in a clinical dosage. I don't think the quantity used in culturing on petris and then transfering to a fruiting substrate and then ingested by a human would be measurable, if that it would be negligable.

Agreed. Remember you're talking about an extremely low concentration in the agar to begin with. Then you expand your mycelial mass from one little plate to a whole jar of grain and then possibly to bulk substrate. At that factor of dilution, you'd need a mass spectromemter and a blessing from God to find any gent. sulfate in the fruit bodies.

If you're sterilizing things properly, why would you need to routinely use antibiotic agar anywhoo? I've only used it when attempting to purify a particularly dirty culture. Once pure it's on to regular malt plates.

--------------------
"...if the mind is actually part of a continuum, a labyrinth that is connected not only to every other mind that exists or has existed, but to every atom, organism, and region in the vastness of space and time itself, the fact that it is able to occasionally make forays into the labyrinth and have transpersonal experiences no longer seems so strange."

Visit the Psychonautical Society

InvisibleLana
Head Banana
Female

Re: Using ampicillin instead of gentamicin sulfate [Re: Basidiocarp]
    #2259124 - 01/21/04 07:38 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

I did research on gentamicin sulfate about 2 years ago. It was widely used by farmers in the late 1960's as a pesticide.  Worked well, but farmers were getting sick, pregnant mothers were having kids with two heads :smile:  that kind of stuff. 

It got so bad that the one of the original producers of it (DuPont) settled out of court.  Although, I'm sure if you breath in anything like that from a crop duster long enough you're bound to get something.

Ampicillin is much cheaper than gentamicin sulfate.

/me continues to do more homework.

Lana

--------------------

Invisibletripndicular
My Minds Eye IsRhizomorphic

Loc: Bowels of HELL
Re: Using ampicillin instead of gentamicin sulfate [Re: Basidiocarp]
    #2259189 - 01/21/04 08:34 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

I agree 100% with Bisidio , ... if you are properly sterilizing things you should not need to " taint" petris with antibodies . Work on those sterilization techniques some more, and such items will become truly "useless and unneccesary" . Working with agar in petris is not as tricky as many make it sound , and if you selected good strains they themselves will combat nasties . Of course there is always a margine of error , you must deal with .
Good Luck
Trip n D

--------------------
Any information I give is not intended to aide you in the production of potentialy illegal substances !None of my exp comes from growing illegal varities , so take it as you will .
So with that said here is our mission statement .

Then the priest fell into a trance or swoon,& said unto the Queen of heaven ; Write unto us the ordeals; write unto us the rituals; write unto us the law !

InvisibleLana
Head Banana
Female

Re: Using ampicillin instead of gentamicin sulfate [Re: tripndicular]
    #2259281 - 01/21/04 09:32 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

/me smiles and giggles.

I don't grow, so I don't have a problem with making plates. The reason I'm asking is more for a health/financial factor.

I do agree that if you have sterile conditions, your setup should be fine, but from time to time people ask me and I'd like to give correct info.

Lana

--------------------

InvisiblePrisoner#1
Even Dumber ThanAdvertized!
 User Gallery

Loc: Pvt. Pubfag NutSuck
Trusted Cultivator
    #2259389 - 01/21/04 10:35 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Lana... virtualy any antibiotic can ba obtained cheaply... there are, ampicilin like many of the related drugs can be purchased from veteranary houses for very little in comparison...the difference between human and animal use is the fillers...lab use generaly has no fillers.

OfflineBasidiocarp
Dr. BunsenHoneydew
Male User Gallery

Loc: Rogue's Island, USA
Re: Using ampicillin instead of gentamicin sulfate [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #2260092 - 01/21/04 02:28 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Prisoner#1 said:
the difference between human and animal use is the fillers...lab use generaly has no fillers.

As a veterinarian myself, I have to comment on that.  For the most part, the drugs the we vets use are the *exact* same formulations used by physicians/humans or labs.  Often times it's the exact same brand/bottle!  Injectible antibiotics like gent or amp, for example, are pure antibiotic save for a little pH buffer/stabilizer (that goes for human, vet, lab, etc.)  Tablet AB's have filler of course, but they're usually the same for human/animal. Antibiotics in their molecularly pure powder form are mostly used just by research/lab people.  :syringe:

--------------------
"...if the mind is actually part of a continuum, a labyrinth that is connected not only to every other mind that exists or has existed, but to every atom, organism, and region in the vastness of space and time itself, the fact that it is able to occasionally make forays into the labyrinth and have transpersonal experiences no longer seems so strange."

Visit the Psychonautical Society

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds