Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineDocPsilocybin
enthusiast

Full Grain Colonization, Necessary?
    #2254910 - 01/20/04 01:07 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Well, is it? 

I've noticed that as far as Grain to Grains go after the first week to nine days the growth slows down substantially.  And the majority of my contam outbreaks happen a few days after this 'slowdown'.  This leads me to believe that while the mycellium is agressively colonizing it's strong and contaminate resistant.  After it slows down it kind of lies dormant and doesn't fight contaminants as well. 

I have made a few casings using 3/4 or 5/6 colonized grain jars and they've turned out fine, if not better than fully colo'd jars did.  I just left behind the uncolonized grains so they didn't contaminate my casing. 

The progress these jars that were birthed in what I kind of think of as their agressive growing stage was noticably faster I thought. 

Then again I'm the type of person who over analyzes a lot.  What does everyone think? 

Are you better off spawning with 3/4 colonized jars before the growth slows down or waiting the extra four days it takes to colonize the last tiny portion.  I find that most jars are 90% colonized after 5-7 days and 100% colonization takes another 3-5 days. 

Just slap me if I'm wasting your time :wink:

--------------------
You can't hold a man down without staying down with him.
-- Booker T. Washington

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineragadinks
MrBeatle
 User Gallery

Re: Full Grain Colonization, Necessary? [Re: DocPsilocybin]
    #2254927 - 01/20/04 01:22 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

I always thought that the slowdown of growth is due to high Co2 built up at the bottom of the jars. Sometimes I flip my jars around so that they stand on there lid and this helps the mycelium to colonize the rest of the grains.

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #2255077 - 01/20/04 03:37 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Growth should not slow down. If problems develop after 5-7 days, perhaps your sterilization is not complete.

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

OfflineBasidiocarp
Dr. BunsenHoneydew
Male User Gallery

Loc: Rogue's Island, USA
Re: Full Grain Colonization, Necessary? [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #2255085 - 01/20/04 03:43 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
Growth should not slow down. If problems develop after 5-7 days, perhaps your sterilization is not complete.

I agree. In my experience, mycelium generally doesn't slow down on grain unless it encounters a contaminant (even if you can't see that contaminant yet).

Doc Psilo, what is your sterilization protocol (PSI, length of time, kind of autoclave, size of grain jars)?

--------------------
"...if the mind is actually part of a continuum, a labyrinth that is connected not only to every other mind that exists or has existed, but to every atom, organism, and region in the vastness of space and time itself, the fact that it is able to occasionally make forays into the labyrinth and have transpersonal experiences no longer seems so strange."

Visit the Psychonautical Society

OfflineDocPsilocybin
enthusiast

Re: Full Grain Colonization, Necessary? [Re: Basidiocarp]
    #2255120 - 01/20/04 04:14 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

I use an All American huge ass pressure cooker. 15-20 PSI for 1.5 hours or more. Grain is popcorn. I've had problems due to crappy syringes which I'm going to fix and a few contams from G2G (no glove box, just lysol and prayers). I also use Tyvek as a filter. A round sheet of it that I screw between the jar and the ring and a lid.

I still think that the last bit of colonization goes the slowest usually. When doing cakes I've flipped them at the end to try and get rid of CO2 buildup and its not certain if it helped any.

I'm not saying I'm having any sorts of problems. It's just an observation that I've made from my jars that growth seemingly slows down after 12 days or something. Perhaps you're right and it is CO2. I was just pondering the possibility of a different state it might fall into if CO2 buildup or whatever factor slows down growth for too long. Perhaps it senses the stop in growth and enters the fruiting stage? I don't imagine mycellium grows too quickly if at all once it's in that stage.

Just some thoughts. That's all.

I've had a few jars that took 3 weeks or better and when they were spawned the mycellium bruised heavily when being broken up. I believe that's a sign of pending fruiting.

--------------------
You can't hold a man down without staying down with him.
-- Booker T. Washington

OfflineBlue Helix
bold hand
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #2339575 - 02/16/04 12:03 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Learn agar and make myclium syringes.

Colonize on an agar surface in a half pint jar. Once a plate is colonized, break up the agar with heat sterilized anything, pour about 20 cc of hydrogen peroxide in there, cover and shake. Then add the sterilized water on top of that. Use the slurry of mycellium to innoculate jars.

When I do this procedure and incubate at 84F, I always get full colonization within 7 to 10 days, often sooner. It works every time, and there is never any contamination no matter how dirty the room is where I inject.

Offlineragadinks
MrBeatle
 User Gallery

Re: Full Grain Colonization, Necessary? [Re: Blue Helix]
    #2340134 - 02/16/04 05:07 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

You pour undiluted peroxid onto the mycelium ?

OfflineBlue Helix
bold hand
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Full Grain Colonization, Necessary? [Re: ragadinks]
    #2340746 - 02/16/04 11:11 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Yeah, I was leary of that too in the beginning, but it works. I think it cleans off the mycellium too of any spores or anything else which may land on it when I add the water. I've this dozens of times. Some say it will slow mycellium growth. That is wrong. The first signs of growth in the jars is 24 to 48 hours later, and the speed of colonization is extremely fast.

OfflineBlue Helix
bold hand
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #2340750 - 02/16/04 11:13 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

I always incubate upside down and don't cover the holes. I also always keep my jars in an incubator with a desiccant to keep the air dry around them. You don't want the top vermiculite to become moist and then become a vector for contamination.

OfflineGr0wer
always improving
Male

Loc: El Paso, TX Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #2341610 - 02/16/04 02:26 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

If your using grain as a substrate I would think it would be better not to have total colonization, then it can finsih colonization while your waitng for the casing to colonize. But if yor using it as a spawn total colonization is good.

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
Re: Full Grain Colonization, Necessary? [Re: Gr0wer]
    #2341753 - 02/16/04 02:51 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

You definitely want full colonization in every case, otherwise the grain is an open invitation to contaminants.

Offlineragadinks
MrBeatle
 User Gallery

#2341828 - 02/16/04 03:06 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Yeah, I was leary of that too in the beginning, but it works. I think it cleans off the mycellium too of any spores or anything else which may land on it when I add the water. I've this dozens of times. Some say it will slow mycellium growth. That is wrong. The first signs of growth in the jars is 24 to 48 hours later, and the speed of colonization is extremely fast.

I thought that the pure H2O2 also would kill the mycelium. But if you say that it works I will try that out. Thanks for sharing.

Offlineamyloid
Stranger
    #2341942 - 02/16/04 03:32 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

it doesnt kill all the mycellium on contact, and since i gets diluted when you add the sterilized water, its not a big deal.

--------------------
"A human being is part of a whole, called by us the Universe, a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings, as something separated from the rest--a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest us. Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circles of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty."
-Al Einstein

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract