Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinesubspecie
Stranger
SE NSW no worries, need help with QLD
    #2236320 - 01/12/04 02:15 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Greetings,

My first post here, long time reader though. Sorry if my post is long, I'll try introduce myself while asking for assistance so bare with me.

I'm an experienced picker but largely confined to one small area in SE NSW, but also some success in similar habitats. Probably one of the most fungul friendly areas in Australia backs on to the family farm, so I'm lucky there. When I was a teenager I heard about the blue staining, stumbled across them one day and have not looked back.

This was long before I found shroomery.org and since then, with this awsome site I have began to piece together what I'm picking. Very interesting reading about native Aust. mushrooms and all the confusion with subearuginosa, australiana, tasmania, euacalypta etc etc etc. At first, before shroomery when I was trying to find out I thought I must be onto P. cyans and found no reference to Aust. natives. Then I got confused reading how c. cyans grow on cow shit and are introduced, even though all my shrooms are coming out of wood and occasionally Wallaby, Wombat and Kangaroo shit, but over 8,000 acres of cow pastures, metric tonnes of their shit, I never seen a mushroom - only in the mountains in wood debris. Then I found out they were different, then read about pan. cyans, then found out they're the same as c. cyans.

Now I'm pretty sure all the actives in my area are of the sub. family, but can't determine which members they are. There are two distinct types that are abundant, but I also seen ones that are half way in between. It reminds me of the race debate I was reading in the political forum. Also, I have noticed altitude a big factor in the macroscopy of said shrooms i.e. the higher, the smaller. In my area, at about 1400 mtrs (dependant on other conditions) you get the nice strong small ones, but a short jog down the steep slope leads you to faster growth and I kid you not I've seen psylocibes a foot in diameter, big swollen trunks oozing out blue and only a few days old. But I lack the scientific knowledge to be able to microscopically identify species so I won't sit here claiming to be an expert, and say these southern shrooms are all the same specie, but I would like to hear what other aussies who have been out there and seen the shrooms reckon. I know Bluemeanie in particular knows what I'm talking about here and touches on it at his site (but the p. cyans is blank). For me, these mushrooms seem way too "analog" in their distribution dependant on conditions to be classified differently. Also, has anyone else found these mushrooms on native animal shit. It's not common, and perhaps it's nothing to do with the shit there, but they all seem particularly different compared to the others.

OK, I got carried away, those weren't the questions I had. I'm moving to SE QLD very shortly and must leave my beloved fields behind. I will need to find areas in SE QLD. I know the rules and don't want specifics locations, just specific habitat conditions and please don't go FAQ I've FAQ's and searched ok. Am I right that random cow fields after rain may produce p. cubensis or even c. cyans. What affects do altitude, humidity, temp. etc. have on this. And more importantly, can I find native wood shrooms in this area. Am I looking for the same thing? Is this beautiful shroom of the Aus. so diverse in it's adaptability that I could find a strain in this warm climate? Or am I looking for c. cyans.

Thanks for reading, if you made it this far.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinesubspecie
Stranger
Re: SE NSW no worries, need help with QLD [Re: subspecie]
    #2236340 - 01/12/04 02:19 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

BTW, I never saw an active shroom on tea-tree. There is a lot of tea-tree in my area, I steer clear of it unless humting for pigs.

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
    #2236644 - 01/12/04 08:38 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Have you read my paper posted at erowid.com on Australian and New Zealand Shrooms. Also the primary shroom season in Australia is from May through August-September.

Mj

InvisibleZen Peddler
Male User Gallery

Loc: orbit
    #2249971 - 01/18/04 05:18 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Gday,
interesting post there. There arent any proper Ps.cyanescens in Australia - but Buchanan suggested that subaeruginosa and its allies are actually just regional representations of Ps.cyanescens anyway - and they are all very similar - Guzman originally thought that the wavy-capped variant of subaeruginosa was actually cyanescens until he examined it under a microscope.
If you would like me to have a look at the two forms id be very keen - especially any type of subaeuginosa variant growing off dung.
Pluteus is currently examining RNA/DNA of cyanesce,s azurescens and the subaeruginosa forms to see which ones are synonymous and which ones are indeed seperate entities.

--------------------

Offlinesubspecie
Stranger
Re: SE NSW no worries, need help with QLD [Re: Zen Peddler]
    #2316733 - 02/09/04 02:44 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Sorry for the long period between my last post. I have been in transit and all the things that go with it.

Thanks mjshroomer, yes I have read your paper. I found it excellent, my best point of reference found, but there are some discrepencies with other information I have seen.

Just last week I went on a hunt in SE QLD / NE NSW after big rains. I had no problem finding what looked to be cyans (I had not read Blumeanie's post until just now). I picked some large and small ones and ate about five times what I would have the wood subs I was getting an only a very sublte affect that could well have been due to placebo and the fact that I smoked pot for the first time in months prior to eating the shrooms. They were growing in cow paddocks out of cow dung, were all white whit blackish gills (though some smaller ones were light brown)and the edges of the caps got a blue tinge to them. Nothing much happening on the stems though. Just now I have read that "cyans" only contain pscilocin and therefore cannot be damaged. I saw a chart saying they do contain psylocibin. Strange. Would the lack of affect be due to damage? I have never cared much for careful handling of shrooms since they always worked well anyway.

So now that Bluemeanie has said no cyans grow in Australia, could these be a sub variant that grows out of cow dung in summer? Or would they be a non gold top variant of cubensis, which I understand grows at this time in the area out of cow dung, but have not come across "gold tops" as of yet? Or could they be inactive? does anyone know of a non-active specie that fits this description? mjshroomer's paper states that cyans do in fact grow in QLD and does not mention subs.

I have read many of your posts bluemeanie, and hold you in the highest respects, but now I'm very confused. If subs are growing up here does that mean out of wood in Autumn? Am I only looking for cubensis at this time of year? I spoke to some local folk in a funny small town nearby who sold many shaman-australis products and I was totally impressed and amazed! They also were helpful in informing me that active shrooms should be growing about now but were very reserved and would not talk species or anything, just said look in cows fields that way and pointed.

I would appreciate if anyone would care to shed some light on this subject for me. I will try get hold of a digi camera for next time and post some pics.

InvisibleZen Peddler
Male User Gallery

Loc: orbit
    #2320469 - 02/10/04 02:26 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

I should clarify - there are two seperate species - Psilocybe cyanescens which grows on wood chips and is generally not regarded as being found in Australia and Copelandia cyanescens which is found all over NSW and QLD in spring and which is are white and black gilled, and grow in cow dung.
hope this clarifies - you can also examine my website which is linked at the bottom of my posts for info on Australian species - it lacks the history of MJs site, but it should be helpful in terms of regional distributions.

--------------------

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
    #2320585 - 02/10/04 04:44 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

There are no P. cubensis in New Zealand at all. They do not grow there.

Hawaii has only COpleandia shrooms, five species of Copelandia. Samoa has Copelandia abd Fiji has P. cubensis.

Why, no one klnows.
mj

Offlineteen
Yeee Haaww

#2332204 - 02/13/04 07:59 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

SE QLD is where I live.
I hear good things about Tallebudgerra/Currumbin area on the Gold Coast. I go picking in the Samford/Dayboro area in the north of Brisbane, south of the border in north NSW there are a lot of mushy areas, and on the Sunshine Coast around the Woodford area.

--------------------
Don't give me that load of bunk~!

Offlinejimbu
jimbu
Male
Loc: nsw, australia
    #2336531 - 02/15/04 03:44 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

i would hazard a guess that most cow paddocks in northern nsw and southern qld fruit cubensis and cope cyans at this time of the year after rainfall.. i've picked several random paddocks (unfortunately there wasn't alot of rain at the time), and found several p.cubensis and inactive pan's growing from the cow dung in far northern nsw.

just make sure you make a 100% positive ID. if you're inexperienced/not sure what you have, don't eat it!

its scary to know you ate them because they "looked to be cyans".

if in doubt, take some photos and spore prints and im sure someone here will be able to help you out :smile:

Offlineteen
Yeee Haaww

Re: SE NSW no worries, need help with QLD [Re: jimbu]
    #2366887 - 02/22/04 03:10 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

The proper cyans around here turn a bluey dark-grey
The ones with a reddish stem, and the totally white ones, are nothing. The gills are a bit different in each species too, btw.

--------------------

Offlinesubspecie
Stranger
Re: SE NSW no worries, need help with QLD [Re: teen]
    #2367067 - 02/22/04 06:00 AM (20 years, 30 days ago)

Teen, are you from around this area? the ones I found turned grwy - blue just not very convincingly.

Are there non-acives that grow around this area from cow-shit? from my research I've gathered tthat chances are, if you find mushrooms growing out of shit around here, they are magics, but practically I've been very dissapointed,

Offlineteen
Yeee Haaww

#2378142 - 02/26/04 04:03 AM (20 years, 27 days ago)

Quote:

Teen, are you from around this area?

yes

Quote:

Are there non-acives that grow around this area from cow-shit?

Indeed, they are Panaeolus species which are inactive.

--------------------

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Re: SE NSW no worries, need help with QLD [Re: Zen Peddler]
    #2379407 - 02/26/04 11:52 AM (20 years, 26 days ago)

Blue Meanie says

Quote:

Gday

but in reality he is really saying

Quote:

Gday Mate

mj

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies