Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
The Greatest Hemp Story Ever Told
    #2234760 - 01/11/04 01:12 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Okay gang, another Tale from the Shroom.

I was in a used bookstore a few days ago and i was delighted to find for sale in a display case, A mint copy of the 1900 book The Reign of Law: A Tale of the kentucky Hemp Fields.

What is really luck is that it is a first edition, given as presents two times in its history.

The reason is that inside the book it was first purhcased in 1902 and then later it was given as a gift to someone in 1926.

Now a little of my history with this book.

I was totaly unaware of its existence until the summer of 1994 when I was hired by Mark MErlin to re-edit and help in the rewriting of his first book, Man And Marijuana, which at the time in 1970 was Dr. MErlin's these for his master in Geography at the Universtiy of Hawaii at Manoa on Oahu Island.
HEre is a reference to Mark's book, which now, 10=years-later after I worked on it is now again being re-edited by Rob Clark, author of marujuana Botany who lives in Amsterdam. This means Marks new edition of his masterpiece will soon be again available for reading with over 75 new pages of material not in the first b edition of his book.

So I was collecting dozens of articles on Plants of Chuuk and Yap, another project I did for Merlin on the Micronesian Islands use of inigenous and natural plants. I was going through the stacks at hamilton Library on campus and saw a book witht he authors name J. Allen on the ooutside spine of the book.

Jokingly, I said to myself, well, what have I written this week.

I picked the book out and foud it was the "Reign of Law." The very book I am posting some info for.

Okay, back to my lucky score.

Inside the book was a newspaper article cut fromthe NEw York Times Book Review Page of their Sunday paper. The article was the obituary of James Lane Allen, author of the Reign of Law.

I have not yet read this article, but i wanted to give you a first impression of this man's literature and his stlye of authorship.

james Lane Allen was born in either 1849 04 1850. I found numerous sites listed ont he Yahoo search engines giving both dates of birth as either 1849 or 1850. He died in 1925 and the newspaper article is exactly published one week after his death.

I read the Reign of law and a second book by this author.

Numeorus articles I noticed in Hawaii about his life and work compared him to Nathanial Hawthorn. The write is a poet of great strength. His words are beyond and above what anyone has written. I also compare him to Lewis Thomas, author of Lives of a Cell and Medussa and the Snail, also very poetical.

His second book I read was Thye Kentucky Cardinel, basically a story of the day in the life of a bird.

A bird story like Bambi but in this story the bird does not speak. James Lane Allen writes of its existence on a daily basis as a bird. It actually brought teaars to my eyes because what he says is so real.

ANyway, I was very lucky to get this great fine book at a real reasonable price, much, much lower than I believe it is wroth.

So here are the Book and the title page, then 9 pages of the illustrations , some of them of the hemp and its harvest, and then a 16 images of the text of the article on James Lane Allen.

Enjoy this. Maybe later I will print the first chapter, although I believe it is already on the internet somewhere.

mj

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXx

Title Page:

The Nine etching sketches from the book:

Noticce in this painting of the hemp harvest, they only have two people to manage this whole crop. And these are paintings done in the actual fields in Kentuck. Other iamges show the stalks being stacked like hey throughout and across the fields.

And now for the Obit and book reciews of James lane Allen (16 images)

mjshroomer

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
Re: The Greatest Hemp Story Ever Told [Re: mjshroomer]
    #2235023 - 01/11/04 03:46 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Could just anyone reprint that book if they wanted to?

--------------------
This space for rent

Offlineneuro
Phytophiliac
 User Gallery

Loc: Rigel 7
    #2235158 - 01/11/04 05:19 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Wow! What a find!

Offlinefelixhigh
Scientist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ly
    #2235241 - 01/11/04 06:25 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

very cool!
you should search more around your own private 'bermudas triangle' MJ!!! =)

FH

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #2235620 - 01/11/04 09:50 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

What are those white spots?

--------------------
This space for rent

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Re: The Greatest Hemp Story Ever Told [Re: Baby_Hitler]
    #2236096 - 01/12/04 01:05 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

They are flowering tops. The book cover is cloth over wood, might even be made from hemp? This book was written and published in 1900. The hemp stack pictures are awesome. But the book is very poetical. Unbelieably so.

Remember that the same month they made marijuana illegal, Popular Mechanics just published a major article called the 1,000,000,000 billion Dollar Crop, a story fo the brand new created harvesting machine to be uused for harvesting the hemp plant.

The article was written just before Harry Anslinger and others got the Marijuana Tax Act Passed.

That too is an awesome publication to fine.

mj

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #2236119 - 01/12/04 01:13 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Do they use this technology in the countries where it is legal to grow hemp?

--------------------
This space for rent

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Re: The Greatest Hemp Story Ever Told [Re: Baby_Hitler]
    #2236162 - 01/12/04 01:27 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

I think they do in the Baltics and China. China use to be known as the lasnd of Mulberry and hemp.

Mulberry bushes is where the silkworms live and the rich people made their clothes of silk.

Poor people made their clothes from hemp.

And in Europe (Old europe) their are still large annual hemp harvest festivals as well as poppy seed festivals. Remember that hemp (pot) seeds are illegal in most countries while poppy seeds (papaver somniferum, Dutch Blue) are not illegal in any country in the world.

mj

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag