Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlinemakaveli8x8
Stranger
Male User Gallery
question about hunting squirrels * 1
    #22218249 - 09/10/15 07:01 PM (8 years, 7 months ago)

so if your hunting squirrels, ive read that a .22 works well.  but my question is, squirrels are usually in tree's, which means you will typically be shooting into the air, and if  you  miss it could go for a long long while.  isn't this extremely dangerous?

also what is everyones tactics for "finding" squirrels and also rabbits.

for me is seems like I always find squirrels when im NOT hunting the dam things, and rabbits ive never seen in the woods period, aka again the only time I ever see the fuckers is when they are hanging around in my back yard

--------------------
We were sent to hell for eternity :hellfire: Ø:omgawesome:h®
We play on earth to pass the time :foreheadslap:

Over-population the root of all Evil-brings the Elites Closer to the gates.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleemf
Male

Re: question about hunting squirrels [Re: makaveli8x8] * 1
    #22219148 - 09/10/15 10:23 PM (8 years, 7 months ago)

Check the ballistics on .22lr and .22s.  While you are no doubt a horrible shot, your bullets are not actually going to go that far.  Personally, I think you're going to have the most trouble with skinning and gutting.

Offlinemakaveli8x8
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Re: question about hunting squirrels [Re: emf] * 1
    #22221246 - 09/11/15 10:33 AM (8 years, 7 months ago)

last I remember they travel for miles........and its not just about missed shots, you also have shots that enter and exit

--------------------

Invisibleemf
Male

Re: question about hunting squirrels [Re: makaveli8x8] * 2
    #22221330 - 09/11/15 10:55 AM (8 years, 7 months ago)

No one really cares about what you think you remember or what someone else told you.  The data is what matters.  Check the ballistics.  If you were to shoot a 30-06 into the air, that would be reckless and dangerous and potentially lethal.  A 22lr descending from a sharp arc after missing an upward shot isn't going to hurt you.  A flat shot will travel less than 1 mile.  Stop being lazy and google.

Offlinemakaveli8x8
Stranger
Male User Gallery
    #22221382 - 09/11/15 11:11 AM (8 years, 7 months ago)

apparently im talking to an idiot, I should prolly check a different forum cuss obviously a bullet with nothing behind it falling is going to hurt just by itself......uh but yah thanks for trolling a thread about guns....

--------------------

Invisibleemf
Male

#22221514 - 09/11/15 11:37 AM (8 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

makaveli8x8 said:
I should prolly check a different forum

I think you probably should.

A 40 grain bullet falling back to earth at terminal velocity has the potential to injure someone. Is it going to? Probably not. Just stop being such a horrible shot if you're really this manic about it.

Offlinemakaveli8x8
Stranger
Male User Gallery
    #22221563 - 09/11/15 11:42 AM (8 years, 7 months ago)

you keep saying horrible shot, even after I pointed out there are shoot through situations, your ignorance on this topic is astounding, not to mention you assume the bullet is going to go straight up and straight down.......again you are completely ignorant to hunting and the landscape typically involved.  why are you even posting here if you know nothing about the topic?  I know just enough to know your completely full of shit

--------------------

Invisibleemf
Male

#22221603 - 09/11/15 11:50 AM (8 years, 7 months ago)

You're just mad about not knowing about guns and/or hunting in general.  Stay in the city where you are safe, boy.

/hide thread

Offlinemakaveli8x8
Stranger
Male User Gallery
    #22221626 - 09/11/15 11:56 AM (8 years, 7 months ago)

the one whos mad is the one who left cuss you know im right.

--------------------

OfflineXUL
OTD Janitor
Male User Gallery

Loc: America Flag
    #25534481 - 10/13/18 12:46 PM (5 years, 6 months ago)

You can find squirrel on fallen logs and on the ground. Shooting upward is probably not necessary.

Shooting in the air can indeed be lethal.

Just check your angles. If you are shooting slightly upward and into the trees, you are fine.

Slow cook the squirrel or rabbit and the meat will fall off the bones. Add some BBQ sauce to the squirrel.

--------------------
TRUMP 2020

Offline1uptoadstool
procrastinator
I'm a teapot User Gallery

#26205726 - 09/24/19 12:46 AM (4 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

makaveli8x8 said:
so if your hunting squirrels, ive read that a .22 works well.  but my question is, squirrels are usually in tree's, which means you will typically be shooting into the air, and if  you  miss it could go for a long long while.  isn't this extremely dangerous?

also what is everyones tactics for "finding" squirrels and also rabbits.

for me is seems like I always find squirrels when im NOT hunting the dam things, and rabbits ive never seen in the woods period, aka again the only time I ever see the fuckers is when they are hanging around in my back yard

I use a .22 bolt action with a scope. I hunt on my own property I shoot the majority of squirrels up in trees I listen for nuts to fall or shells falling then I walk to the sound and look up in the tree. Another sound to listen for is them jumping branches

--------------------

OfflineBigGameHunter
Tech
    #26207194 - 09/24/19 06:15 PM (4 years, 6 months ago)

When I used to hunt squirrels I started out using a shotgun then went to a 22LR. I did most of my hunting in the mountain. It's true the bullet has the capability to travel a little more than a mile. If you use a 22 you would need to be aware of your surroundings and possibly just choose your shots where they are lower on the tree or on smaller trees, stumps and logs. If you're hunting in woodlots near civilization you could also use an air rifle if your state allows it. In fact if I still hunted squirrels I would probably go with one of the new air rifles. Some of those have an accurate range of 50 to 70 yards.

As far as finding squirrels, as it is with most animals find the feed & you'll find the animals. In my region prime squirrel feed is hickory nuts, acorns, walnuts, dogwood berries, maple seeds, standing corn, beech nuts, and if they're not available wild cherries, grapes and pine seeds from cones and other seeds. In my experience hunting squirrels on calm days increases your chances than hunting on windy days. Early morning and evening I had the most luck but you can see squirrels all day on a calm day. I like to walk and hunt instead of sitting at a spot for several hours unless there are den trees in the area.

OfflineBigGameHunter
Tech
Re: question about hunting squirrels [Re: BigGameHunter] * 1
    #26207250 - 09/24/19 06:50 PM (4 years, 6 months ago)

Just realized the original post is 4 years old, oh well.

InvisibleAntigov
Male

Loc: Deep within the BibleBelt Flag
    #26207421 - 09/24/19 08:12 PM (4 years, 6 months ago)

If the .22 is an issue to you, I would try a 20 gauge, or 410 shotgun.

--------------------

OfflineCaptainTrips420
SevereConvict

Re: question about hunting squirrels [Re: Antigov] * 1
    #27637284 - 01/29/22 09:57 AM (2 years, 2 months ago)

Your right about a .22 being dangerous if shot in the air but it’s probably less likely to hit something than your local drunk driver depending on where your hunting. If your doing it on legal hunting land it’s most likely going to be away from a big town and the .22LR is not a extremely fast round although if you want a gun with almost zero power to it go for a .22 short. My friend shot a coconut with a .22 short and it doesn’t crack.

I have never killed a squirrel with a firearm just BB guns. I like a inert gas gun I had this gun it’s a .22 https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ruger-Impact-Max-22-Pellet-Air-Rifle/449026134 but the squirrels didn’t die super quick it’s a bit smaller than a .22lr the .25 pellet gun is the same size as a .22lr. It kills in one shot under 30 seconds about 75% of the time but I seen it mess them up but not kill like headshots with no death.

As for eating the squirrels you boil the meat a little bit then batter and fry like chicken. Chicken of the trees. I also been thinking about crossbows with small game arrow tips.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder