Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineHRT
Stranger
 User Gallery
Handmade Bioreactor 4L with 20$ for submerged cultivation of mushrooms *VIDEO*
    #22177216 - 09/02/15 07:12 AM (8 years, 7 months ago)

Dear ladies and gentleman

First of all I would like to thank you with a profound sense of greatness for this amazing forum and more precisely for the privilege to share ideas through this brilliant platform.

We are undergraduate students from Greece, designed and develop the first computer-bioreactor in the world. It is worth mentioning that in this project we worked without supervisor and foundation. We worked as independent students and we are the primary inventors and sponsors of this project,(Total cost 20$)
Publication Article  6th Global Summit and Expo on Food and Beverages

INTRODUCTION:
The concept of continuous culture dates back to 19th century, when a continuous process for the conversion of waste beers and wines to vinegar was developed. The chemostat invented in the early ‘40's marked the advent of serious continuous fermentation.

The use of continuous stirred tank reactor (CSTR) to extend duration of culture of microbes was developed in the ‘50s by Novick, Szilard and Monod. The realization that a CSTR could be used to maintain microbial growth at a steady state value, that could be varied from any growth rate was an important advance. It surpassed the traditional thinking at a time when stable microbial growth was only possible at the maximum rate, corresponding to the minimum doubling time found in batch
cultures.

Bioreactors due to presence of mechanical pumps require high power consumption. As a result in the 21st century, we are able to introduce the most useful tool, a computer fermenter without additional energy costs.

VIDEO YOUTUBE
Please, subscribe, like, comment and SHARE! :smile:

Some of the bioreactor’s pros:

- Extremely compact than any bioreactor system on the market e.g 100 Liter QVF glass portable used agitated tanks cost 2276.66 Euro, in contrast to our bioreactor, which costs about 20 Euro (excluding the motherboard).

- Despite of its compact size, the bioreactor allows a perfect visible access from all sides!

-Does not require additional energy, because the primary circuit has been converted, without affecting computer performance.
-Weighs only 6 kg.
-It is portable.
-It is recyclable

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineHRT
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Handmade Bioreactor 4L with 20$ for submerged cultivation of mushrooms *VIDEO* [Re: HRT]
    #22177220 - 09/02/15 07:16 AM (8 years, 7 months ago)

Dear Ladies and Gentlemen,

You are receiving this letter, as an introduction to our research project in which we construct an ecofriendly and cost effective computer bioreactor with 20$. We are proud to announce you that our computer is be able to do fermentation without additional extra costs, and might be of interest to you as we look forward to continuing and developing exciting collaborative brilliant projects.

We look forward to discuss ideas and to create new partnerships.

Sincerely,
Aris Miron

InvisiblePirateSwazey
 User Gallery

Loc: Here, Now
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Handmade Bioreactor 4L with 20$ for submerged cultivation of mushrooms *VIDEO* [Re: HRT]
    #22177424 - 09/02/15 09:06 AM (8 years, 7 months ago)

Sorry most of us are shade-tree mycologists here (pardon my American), but how exactly does this reactor work and what is your vision for its application in growing mushrooms?

--------------------

BULK RYE PREP  -  MY FAVORITE THREADS  -  BUILD A FLOWHOOD

Offlinetetherface
get in where you fit in
Male User Gallery

Loc: wild
Re: Handmade Bioreactor 4L with 20$ for submerged cultivation of mushrooms *VIDEO* [Re: PirateSwazey]
    #22177696 - 09/02/15 10:58 AM (8 years, 7 months ago)

bookmarked WTF is this just a trumped up magnetic stirrer?

--------------------

Offlineguyute22
Ugly Pig

Re: Handmade Bioreactor 4L with 20$ for submerged cultivation of mushrooms *VIDEO* [Re: tetherface]
    #22177833 - 09/02/15 11:36 AM (8 years, 7 months ago)

i'm sure you are aware that there are computer controlled bioreactors/fermenters already developed and in use.  I would love to learn what your breakthrough is, and how it pertains to mushroom cultivation!

tell us more!!

--------------------

InvisiblebodhisattaMDiscordReddit
Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Milky way
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Handmade Bioreactor 4L with 20$ for submerged cultivation of mushrooms *VIDEO* [Re: guyute22]
    #22177910 - 09/02/15 11:55 AM (8 years, 7 months ago)

:popcorn:

Offlinespirit_shadow
Beta Crypt 3
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Re: Handmade Bioreactor 4L with 20$ for submerged cultivation of mushrooms *VIDEO* [Re: bodhisatta]
    #22178249 - 09/02/15 01:35 PM (8 years, 7 months ago)

Submerged cultivation of mushrooms? :woah:

--------------------
Never knows best.....(this account is automated, all posts related to illegal activities or advice thereof are strictly from numerous online sites and are for informational purposes only)- Circa 2011
Ban lotto

Offlinekaaskop
Stranger
Re: Handmade Bioreactor 4L with 20$ for submerged cultivation of mushrooms *VIDEO* [Re: bodhisatta]
    #22178315 - 09/02/15 01:56 PM (8 years, 7 months ago)

I see nothing arduino can't do in a more compact way. It's a great start however! I always like to see things like this.

Here's my feedback:

I presume the heat from the computer parts is used to heat the reactor.
The stirrer however is non-sterile if you build it like this. A normal magnetic type stirrer would be better and probably less energy consumptive due to it's lower friction levels, but the magnets could screw up the computer parts. In a 4L jar, magnets would work just fine.

I think this is a good start, but far from marketable. For starters, I would add an optical density measurement. Like the OD600 measurement tools (spectometry) for bacterial/fungal growth. Opening and closing this contraption seems like a tough job. Imagine you have a generation time of just a few minutes, you should be able to check it fast and reliable, without having to take the machine apart. A tap in the sides or bottom would be handy!

If you say it will cost 20$, and later exclude the cost of a motherboard, it's not 20$.
I can buy a ferrari for 20$ if I exclude everything but the keyring ;-)

If you like to destroy the competitors with arguments, please make sure you have the same size/type bioreactor. Of course a 100L reactor is bigger and heavier than a 4L one. The visibility is the same on the model you compared with: 360 degrees. Also, the more expensive model is as recycleable as the computer type. Maybe even more, because it has less electronic parts that have to be taken apart.

As far as I know, computer-power-thingies (main power source) start at 250W. A simple heating system for 4L (up to 100 degrees C) can start at 80W. Yes, I have one.
With an Arduino monitoring system, the total wattage could be around a 105W for a fully operational (and fast heating) system. If you add 5W fans, or a 3W milk frother for stirring, the total would be maximum 110W.

I'm here sitting how I would make it with DIY material.
I will use these parts:

If I would tape my own facial-steam-heater (5$ @ thrift store) to a 4L jar (10$) and place my (0.5$) thermometer in there, stir it with an adapted coffee-milk-stirrer (2,5$ batteries included) placed in the lid, I would have a bioreactor for 18,5$. For 2,5$ extra, I can put a timer on it so that temperatures keep a steady curve. That would take some time to refine, but it can be done in a day or two. Total power consumption: 3+85=88W.
The size would be around 5L in total. Weight is the same minus the computer parts, so about the weight of the jar. Temperature logging can be done by hand, or with an automated webcam.
I have a probe thermometer (1,5$ @ DX), that I can tape in front of my laptop/phone/tablet camera, and set it to make pictures every few minutes.

Also, my model seems more eco-friendly because the only electronic parts are the stirrer and the heater, which are both made with just copper and iron and plastic.

Here's a schematic:

Why did I quit laboratory engineering again?! :confused:

InvisiblebodhisattaMDiscordReddit
Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Milky way
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Handmade Bioreactor 4L with 20$ for submerged cultivation of mushrooms *VIDEO* [Re: kaaskop]
    #22178789 - 09/02/15 03:55 PM (8 years, 7 months ago)

you would only cultivate secondary mycelium with this, obviously fruit bodies wouldn't grow(tertiary mycelium)

it's like a continuous propagation LC then again make a few quart jars of LC and you'll have more than you need by the time you can make more.

OfflineHRT
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #22179290 - 09/02/15 05:52 PM (8 years, 7 months ago)

Dear Sir, kaaskop

Greetings!!

Words cannot begin to express how grateful I am for your comments in this topic. I look forward to discuss ideas and to create new partnerships. Furthermore, I hope that you enjoyed this post.

Quote:

kaaskop said:
kaaskop says: I see nothing arduino can't do in a more compact way. It's a great start however! I always like to see things like this.

HRT says : (It would be great if we had an Arduino but unfortunately we haven’t)

kaaskop says: Here's my feedback:
I presume the heat from the computer parts is used to heat the reactor. The stirrer however is non-sterile if you build it like this. A normal magnetic type stirrer would be better and probably less energy consumptive due to it's lower friction levels, but the magnets could screw up the computer parts. In a 4L jar, magnets would work just fine.

HRT says: (Plexiglass is a better heat insulator compared to glass which has a lower coefficient of thermal conductivity.  According to magnetic stirrer, don’t forget my friend that everything in the field of biotechnology playa a crucial role, including standard deviation of agitation rate also plays an important role in cell behavior such as morphology, biomass production, and metabolites of the microorganism. In this end of this paragraph, it is worth taking under your consideration that this particular handmade bioreactor has been entered into a pressure chamber for the sterilization process.) 

kaaskop says: I think this is a good start, but far from marketable. For starters, I would add an optical density measurement. Like the OD600 measurement tools (spectometry) for bacterial/fungal growth. Opening and closing this contraption seems like a tough job. Imagine you have a generation time of just a few minutes, you should be able to check it fast and reliable, without having to take the machine apart. A tap in the sides or bottom would be handy!

HRT says: Measuring optical density (OD) using a spectrophotometer is often problematic if the physics behind the method is not understood. For example, the relationship is between biomass concentration and OD, not cell number and OD. This is because larger cells absorb and scatter more light. Furthermore, the relationship between OD and biomass concentration is not linear, it only approximates to linearity at low OD values (typically up to 0.3 - 0.4, depending on the spectrophotometer). More disadvantages including bubbles, cleanliness and more.  Actually in my dissertation. the primary objective was to investigate the effect of different bioprocess conditions (pH, agitation, medium composition, etc) on the production of G. lucidum biomass, extracellular polysaccharides (EPS) and intracellular polysaccharides (IPS) in submerged cultures. Also, mycelium morphology was analyzed through image analysis software and parameters such as pellet/hyphae formation, density, perimeter, roundness, length and width were studied in order to clarify how they may influence biomass, EPS and IPS accumulation in submerged cultures.

kaaskop says: If you say it will cost 20$, and later exclude the cost of a motherboard, it's not 20$.
I can buy a ferrari for 20$ if I exclude everything but the keyring ;-)

HRT says
HRT says: It is worth taking under your consideration that in my introduction I was stated “This project aims to help every person in the world, who has access to a desktop computer, to accomplish similar achievements.” Meaning that every person who has a desktop computer actually has a motherboard inside his computer tower, and actually has an electrical circuit, in which the theory states that there is a beginning, middle and the end in a circuit. As a result I took the opportunity to create a new path, the bioreactors path..

kaaskop says: If you like to destroy the competitors with arguments, please make sure you have the same size/type bioreactor. Of course a 100L reactor is bigger and heavier than a 4L one. The visibility is the same on the model you compared with: 360 degrees. Also, the more expensive model is as recycleable as the computer type. Maybe even more, because it has less electronic parts that have to be taken apart.
HRT says: I don’t like to destroy; I prefer to build. This is why I called this bioreactor “We build eco, not Ego” because this definition is beautiful, and refer to “We construct ecosystem, and not our Egoism”
4L- 20$, 40L- 200$, 400L - 2000$
Answer by link website

kaaskop says : As far as I know, computer-power-thingies (main power source) start at 250W. A simple heating system for 4L (up to 100 degrees C) can start at 80W. Yes, I have one. With an Arduino monitoring system, the total wattage could be around a 105W for a fully operational (and fast heating) system. If you add 5W fans, or a 3W milk frother for stirring, the total would be maximum 110W.

HRT says: I do not require constant temperature because my construct proofing has keep stable the range of temperature between 25-30oC, in which is preferable for hypher and pellet production.

kaaskop says : I'm here sitting how I would make it with DIY material.
I will use these parts:

If I would tape my own facial-steam-heater (5$ @ thrift store) to a 4L jar (10$) and place my (0.5$) thermometer in there, stir it with an adapted coffee-milk-stirrer (2,5$ batteries included) placed in the lid, I would have a bioreactor for 18,5$. For 2,5$ extra, I can put a timer on it so that temperatures keep a steady curve. That would take some time to refine, but it can be done in a day or two. Total power consumption: 3+85=88W.
The size would be around 5L in total. Weight is the same minus the computer parts, so about the weight of the jar. Temperature logging can be done by hand, or with an automated webcam.
I have a probe thermometer (1,5$ @ DX), that I can tape in front of my laptop/phone/tablet camera, and set it to make pictures every few minutes.

HRT says . Handmade bioreactor part 1 – cost 8 $

kaaskop says : Also, my model seems more eco-friendly because the only electronic parts are the stirrer and the heater, which are both made with just copper (HRT says, electrical conductivity) and iron (HRT says, electrical conductivity and oxidation) and plastic (HRT says: Around 4 percent of world oil production is used as a feedstock to make plastics, and a similar amount is consumed as energy in the process.)

Why did I quit laboratory engineering again?! :confused:
HRT says. You are brilliant, don’t waste your time by quitting because you are passionate engineer
Sincerely

Edited by HRT (09/02/15 06:02 PM)

InvisibleInocuole
Scalpel of Evil's Bane
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: ★
Trusted Cultivator
    #22179304 - 09/02/15 05:55 PM (8 years, 7 months ago)

What... is going on...

Am I seeing that you installed XP on an open air.... bioreactor computer attached to a pickle jar?  Or... what?

Is that HDD sideways?

--------------------
                            :rainbowdrink: Tea doesn't work?                            AMU  (Q & A)                  Grain prep for Intergalactic Space Oats :pes:     

Coir-ca-cola
Jokes are funny until they're about you

Edited by Inocuole (09/02/15 06:01 PM)

OfflineMajickMuffin
Edible Cult

Loc: North
Re: Handmade Bioreactor 4L with 20$ for submerged cultivation of mushrooms *VIDEO* [Re: Inocuole]
    #22179434 - 09/02/15 06:22 PM (8 years, 7 months ago)

-Mushrooms dont grow underwater

-And if you somehow figured out a way how to do so, nobody would :goodluckwiththat2:

OfflineHRT
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Handmade Bioreactor 4L with 20$ for submerged cultivation of mushrooms *VIDEO* [Re: spirit_shadow]
    #22179480 - 09/02/15 06:29 PM (8 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

spirit_shadow said:
Submerged cultivation of mushrooms? :woah:

Dear, spirit_shadow.

The submerged cultivation of medicinal mushrooms has received a great deal of attention as a promising and reproducible alternative for the efficient production of mushroom mycelium and metabolites. Submerged cultivation of mushrooms has significant industrial potential, but its success on a commercial scale depends on increasing product yields and development of novel production systems that address the problems associated with this technique of mushroom cultivation. In spite of many researchers efforts for the production of bioactive metabolites by mushrooms, the physiological and engineering aspects of submerged cultures are still far from being thoroughly studied.. Submerged cultivation of medicinal mushrooms to produce mycelium and bioactive metabolites, and to make a contribution for the research and development of new pharmaceutical products from mushrooms

Lentinus Edodes in liquid media

OfflineHRT
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Handmade Bioreactor 4L with 20$ for submerged cultivation of mushrooms *VIDEO* [Re: MajickMuffin]
    #22179530 - 09/02/15 06:37 PM (8 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

MajickMuffin said:
-Mushrooms dont grow underwater

-And if you somehow figured out a way how to do so, nobody would :goodluckwiththat2:

Link: Don't forget the power of mushrooms

InvisibleInocuole
Scalpel of Evil's Bane
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: ★
Trusted Cultivator
    #22179538 - 09/02/15 06:38 PM (8 years, 7 months ago)

Okay but that's a different mushroom entirely, if it even is a mushroom, and this forum in particular is about psychedelic mushrooms.  None of those want to grow underwater.

--------------------
                            :rainbowdrink: Tea doesn't work?                            AMU  (Q & A)                  Grain prep for Intergalactic Space Oats :pes:     

Coir-ca-cola
Jokes are funny until they're about you

OfflineMajickMuffin
Edible Cult

Re: Handmade Bioreactor 4L with 20$ for submerged cultivation of mushrooms *VIDEO* [Re: Inocuole]
    #22179547 - 09/02/15 06:40 PM (8 years, 7 months ago)

Greece :doublefacepalm:

How about you fucking study on how you can convince the governments that Mushrooms are safe and people shouldnt go to prison for them.

Now thats something worth getting into. Not trying to figure out how to allow Jellyfish to live on the Moon

OfflineHRT
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #22179582 - 09/02/15 06:46 PM (8 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Inocuole said:
What... is going on...

HRT says: Everything is good :laugh:

Inocuole said:Am I seeing that you installed XP on an open air.... bioreactor computer attached to a pickle jar?  Or... what?

HRT says: Yes, we work to close the motherboard for safety reasons, AMD ventilator is attached to Glass jar for agitation purpose, motherboard is attached to Plexiglass.

Inocuole said:Is that HDD sideways?

HRT says: Yes it is!! Thank you and all the members for your comments, I am appreciated it!!

OfflineMajickMuffin
Edible Cult

#22179594 - 09/02/15 06:48 PM (8 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

HRT said:
Quote:

Inocuole said:
What... is going on...

HRT says: Everything is good :laugh:

Inocuole said:Am I seeing that you installed XP on an open air.... bioreactor computer attached to a pickle jar?  Or... what?

HRT says: Yes, we work to close the motherboard for safety reasons, AMD ventilator is attached to Glass jar for agitation purpose, motherboard is attached to Plexiglass.

Inocuole said:Is that HDD sideways?

HRT says: Yes it is!! Thank you and all the members for your comments, I am appreciated it!!

Do you appreciate my comments? :smugjerry:

Invisibletahoe
Noob Slayer
Male User Gallery

Loc: N38.93829W119.98108
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Handmade Bioreactor 4L with 20$ for submerged cultivation of mushrooms *VIDEO* [Re: MajickMuffin]
    #22179648 - 09/02/15 07:01 PM (8 years, 7 months ago)

That lc looked contaminated.

--------------------
Stop experimenting half way through your first grow. Grow it to maturity, watch it, learn from it. Do this a few times then experiment with different ideas and figure out what works best for you.

My Legacy
https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/22140987#22140987

Teh=The
I need to proofread

OfflineMajickMuffin
Edible Cult

Re: Handmade Bioreactor 4L with 20$ for submerged cultivation of mushrooms *VIDEO* [Re: tahoe]
    #22179654 - 09/02/15 07:02 PM (8 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

tahoe said:
That lc looked contaminated.

:thisisheavyman:

HRT: :shitmypants:

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Cultivation Supplies