Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineTorey
consciousparadox

Loc: somewhere over the rainbo...
cool mist humidifying trouble - too dry - help!
    #2207565 - 12/29/03 11:24 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Setting:
A friend of a friend (AFOAF) is at a crucial point in their bulk casing.  It was birthed, non cased, in a Walmart 2.5' tall 'greenhouse'.  The bottom is taped shut with plastic, except for the door which is tight, but is adequate to release gasses from chamber.

History:
AFOAF was hand misting until they realized that during the day humidity would always drop to 60-70%.

They purchased a Honeywell (Kaz) 2G cool mist humidifier, coiled dryer tubing, and duct tape.  Tubing is taped to the humidifier slightly off center and the remainder of the airflow blocked with duct tape.

The length of the tube is about 3' to the top center of the greenhouse.  the greenhouse inflates or puffs up when Kaz is turned on.

Results:
After a few minutes, just after a fresh and heavy hand misting, the Kaz dries out the chamber, including the casing, which now looks worse than ever.  Kaz also decreases temperature from ideal 24C to 21C.

AFOAF would really appreciate help, :wink: and will spend the next 30 minutes before they goto work searching for a solution.

--------------------
peace and love!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleMagash
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Loc: Near Hilo
Trusted Cultivator
Re: cool mist humidifying trouble - too dry - help! [Re: Torey]
    #2207969 - 12/29/03 02:49 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

You know I had the same problems along with many others here, what I did was to add a ultrasonic that runs every 2 hrs for 10 min.

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

OfflineTorey
consciousparadox

Loc: somewhere over the rainbo...
Re: cool mist humidifying trouble - too dry - help! [Re: Magash]
    #2230033 - 01/08/04 11:41 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Magash:

Is that a Sunbeam 6.4L ultrasonic humidifier?

SWIM bought one today in addition to a Honeywelll (kaz) cool mist humidifier. The Ultrasonic reaches 99%rH in no time and will need to be put on a timer, as no suitable humidistat can be found.

Do you also run a cool mist 24/7 for air exchange?

--------------------
peace and love!

Offlinestoner2002
Stoner

Re: cool mist humidifying trouble - too dry - help! [Re: Torey]
    #2230144 - 01/09/04 12:47 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Im in the exact same boat as you Torey.  I noticed my casings were really dry on the surface, due to the cool mist, on the second day of being in the fruiting chamber.  There are two things you could do here.

You could simply do the perlite tek, its so easy I cant believe I spent money on a humidifier, its like me to splurge on equipment though.  Im going to keep my casings suspended above the perlite in order to maximize the surface area of the perlite, which is what you need to get maximum humidity levels.  I'm going to run my cool mist humidifier still, only for a few hours a day, mainly for air exchange.  I've never heard of anyone combining perlite with a humidifer but it should work like a charm!  I'll keep you up to date.

Then you got Magash's tried and true dual humidifier setup.  The fallback of ultrasonics is that they only need to be on for a few minutes to crank up the humidity.  This does not allow for proper air exchange.  However if youve got a cool mist running 24/7 into the same chamber.  Youve got yourself a fully automated fruiting chamber.  Must be nice. :smile:

I was about to buy an ultrasonic so I could copy his setup, but i need to be as stealthy as possible and running humidifiers all day leaves me feeling exposed, as they do make a bit a noise.

InvisibleMagash
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Loc: Near Hilo
Trusted Cultivator
Re: cool mist humidifying trouble - too dry - help! [Re: stoner2002]
    #2230420 - 01/09/04 04:48 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Perlite and a coolmist work great you?ll have good results. I did it when I first started.

This is the seconed chamber I came up with.

Most already know about the third one I came up with.

PMP

Just having fun.

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds