Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinetrkgsy
e-mail bomber
Loc: Mid-atlantic US
Pressure cooker
    #2199873 - 12/24/03 03:13 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Merry Christmas everyone, I have a question to give all willing to receive. Here is the situation, I just bought a pressure cooker this morning and I'm not quite sure about it's useability. I purchased the cooker for only 9 dollars. The reason it was so cheap is because it is quite old. The cooker is made by Dixie canner co. and looks to be in good condition. The pressure valve seems to be in good working order, it is clean and moves easily. The canner has a smooth bottom, no warping at all. Along the inside seam of the canner top, there are no visible knicks or cracks. The lid also looks to be strong. Six vertically aligned screw down fasteners are used to hold the top in place and all have good threads and work well in so far as I can tell.
The only thing I found odd was that no rubber gasket is to be found. After researching the Dixie canner co, I found that Dixie is or was the parent company of All-American. I know that many or all of the All-American canners need no gasket.
The canner has no model number or any sort of specific identification printed anywhere. Only the name of the company and some safety guidelines, along with the location of Dixie headquarters and typical canning temperatures for various foods.
Is this a canner requiring a gasket or no?
oh and it is 12qt

any help would be appreciated

Trkgsy

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleDieCommie

Re: Pressure cooker [Re: trkgsy]
    #2199964 - 12/24/03 04:17 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

i have no idea if that particular cooker needs a gasket.  If i were you id heat it up with only water and see if steam comes out anywhere its not supposed to (particularly where the gasket would be)  if steam only comes out the nipple on top, where its supposed to, your  probably fine.

Bear in mind im a noob, and have very little experience with cookers! :smile:

InvisibleTomandjerry58
Stranger
Re: Pressure cooker [Re: DieCommie]
    #2200018 - 12/24/03 04:47 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

does it have a pressure guage? if not i wouldn't mess with it. youll never be able to keep it at the right psi.

Offlinetrkgsy
e-mail bomber
Re: Pressure cooker [Re: Tomandjerry58]
    #2200757 - 12/25/03 07:37 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Yeah it has a pressure gauge, the guage was made by the U.S. Guage Co. in New York, goes up to 259 degrees or 20 psi.

Offlinetchyted
miestro
Loc: WA near seattle
    #2201412 - 12/25/03 10:23 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

good question. the joint where the seal is created on an all american is significantly differant than those that require a gasket. without exception, the gasketed pc's have a flat surface where the gasket mates to both the lid and the pot.

pc's with no gasket have a metal to metal joint that is normally both slightly sharp, and one surface has a bevel or angled ridge which litterally smooshes against its mate. the safety instructions surely will give you some clue? as with either type, care of the mating surfaces is critical to getting pressure to build. usually the lid fits down ever so slightly into the pot to allow water to drip off the lid on the non-gasket types, otherwise, you would end up with a lot of condensate on the floor of your kitchen. hope this helps.

Offlinewacked
Ylide
 User Gallery
Loc: Hawaii
    #2201532 - 12/26/03 12:33 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

It is possible to make a gasket if you are really concerned about it. Flat pieces of various sized thickness of rubber can be purchased pretty cheap. like an innertube for a bicycle but in sheets. Outline the diameter of the ring you would need to cover the lid and cut it out and place it over lid to seal it.

Offlinetrkgsy
e-mail bomber
Re: Pressure cooker [Re: wacked]
    #2205468 - 12/28/03 10:10 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Thanks alot, this cooker does have a lid with a sharp bottom edge as well as a beveled top into which this lid fits. I have yet to heat it up but I should be doing this today.
Does anyone know how to properly calibrate a guage though????
Trkgsy

Anonymous

#2205477 - 12/28/03 10:20 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Check with your local County Agricultural Extension Office (in the Blue governmental pages of the phone book)...they usually offer gauge testing for free...my old Extension office offered testing/calibration for the home canners in the area. Hope this helps...

Offlinetrkgsy
e-mail bomber
Re: Pressure cooker [Re: Theo Nanacatl]
    #2207072 - 12/29/03 04:26 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Awesome thanks a lot guys

I'm going to heat it to 5 or 10 today

Trkgsy

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom