Home | Community | Message Board

Magic Mushrooms Zamnesia
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlinemusiclover420
psychonaut
Male User Gallery

Loc: PNW
Sixth mass extinction is here: US study
    #21830770 - 06/20/15 12:16 AM (8 years, 9 months ago)

Miami (AFP) - The world is embarking on its sixth mass extinction with animals disappearing about 100 times faster than they used to, scientists warned Friday, and humans could be among the first victims.

Not since the age of the dinosaurs ended 66 million years ago has the planet been losing species at this rapid a rate, said a study led by experts at Stanford University, Princeton University and the University of California, Berkeley.

The study "shows without any significant doubt that we are now entering the sixth great mass extinction event," said co-author Paul Ehrlich, a Stanford University professor of biology.

And humans are likely to be among the species lost, said the study -- which its authors described as "conservative" -- published in the journal Science Advances.

"If it is allowed to continue, life would take many millions of years to recover and our species itself would likely disappear early on," said lead author Gerardo Ceballos of the Universidad Autonoma de Mexico.

The analysis is based on documented extinctions of vertebrates, or animals with internal skeletons such as frogs, reptiles and tigers, from fossil records and other historical data.

The modern rate of species loss was compared to the "natural rates of species disappearance before human activity dominated."

It can be difficult to estimate this rate, also known as the background rate, since humans don't know exactly what happened throughout the course of Earth's 4.5 billion year history.

For the study, researchers used a past extinction rate that was twice as high as widely used estimates.

If the past rate was two mammal extinctions per 10,000 species per 100 years, then the "average rate of vertebrate species loss over the last century is up to 114 times higher than it would be without human activity, even when relying on the most conservative estimates of species extinction," said the study.

"We emphasize that our calculations very likely underestimate the severity of the extinction crisis because our aim was to place a realistic lower bound on humanity's impact on biodiversity."

The causes of species loss range from climate change to pollution to deforestation and more.

According to the International Union for Conservation of Nature, about 41 percent of all amphibian species and 26 percent of all mammals are threatened with extinction.

"There are examples of species all over the world that are essentially the walking dead," Ehrlich said.

The study called for "rapid, greatly intensified efforts to conserve already threatened species, and to alleviate pressures on their populations -- notably habitat loss, over-exploitation for economic gain and climate change."

Article

:badmanthisfeels:

I knew it was pretty bad but this really puts things into perspective, especially when you consider they believe they are probably underestimating the impact :sad:

--------------------
Don't worry about me, I've got all that I need. And I'm singing my song to the sky

You know how it feels, With the breeze of the sun in your eyes. Not minding that time's passing by

I've got all and more, My smile, just as before. Is all that I carry with me

I talk to myself, I need nobody else. I'm lost and I'm mine, yes I'm free

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleSheekle
FREE BURKE
 User Gallery

Re: Sixth mass extinction is here: US study [Re: musiclover420] * 2
    #21830781 - 06/20/15 12:18 AM (8 years, 9 months ago)

sux

extnctnhrt

--------------------
"Ur cat died because he hated u" - Koods
"I hope JSB kicks your ass one day." - Vandago
"you are the biggest 'internet guy' I have ever come across"- Jokeshopbeard
"The more I see you post the more I realize you're just this fuckin tie dye loser who trolls the Shroomery 24/7." - Herbologist
"Sheekle you cannot vile the dice of bullshit you have posted on this forum over the years, I like databases" - thelastoneleft
"or maybe i just come from a blood line of superior intelligence" - trees

R.I.P Kelsy, ?/?/?? - 6/11/16

OfflineBitter Cactus
reformed bad boy
 User Gallery

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Re: Sixth mass extinction is here: US study [Re: Sheekle]
    #21830792 - 06/20/15 12:22 AM (8 years, 9 months ago)

Who cares about animals going extinct? We will all be dead by the time it actually even starts to affect our lives.

--------------------
Taking acid and thinking you are a better man is a lot different then actually becoming a better man.

Offlinemusiclover420
psychonaut
Male User Gallery

Re: Sixth mass extinction is here: US study [Re: Bitter Cactus] * 9
    #21830816 - 06/20/15 12:28 AM (8 years, 9 months ago)

:facepalm3:

Because it is largely our fault, and guess what? We are animals too and we share the planet with everything else.

We are hurting ourselves too by doing this obviously, this planet has supported us and given us the resources to live and grow and how are we repaying it?

--------------------
Don't worry about me, I've got all that I need. And I'm singing my song to the sky

You know how it feels, With the breeze of the sun in your eyes. Not minding that time's passing by

OfflineAcaterpillar
A little mad...
Male User Gallery

Loc: Down the rabbit hole
Re: Sixth mass extinction is here: US study [Re: Bitter Cactus] * 1
    #21830823 - 06/20/15 12:31 AM (8 years, 9 months ago)

Oh no! Not the humans!

Oh well, life will continue; whether this species carries on or not.

Hopefully we learn from our mistakes; but given our history, it seems unlikely.

--------------------
Aaa...E I O Uuu...A E I O Uuu..A E I O uh Uuu..
*Cough* *Cough*
Ooo...U E I O Aaa...U E I Aaa..A E I O Uuuuu...

At first sight, The Perfection of Wisdom is bewildering, full of paradox and apparent irrationality.

Offlinesprinkles
otd president
Other User Gallery

Loc: washington state Flag
Re: Sixth mass extinction is here: US study [Re: musiclover420] * 4
    #21830828 - 06/20/15 12:32 AM (8 years, 9 months ago)

um they dont have a clue how much sex hispanics have, it seems.  you can go to any place in the western US and see people continue to breed like rats and population is rising at an alarming rate.  False claims.

--------------------
welcome to my world http://www.shroomery.org/forums/postlist.php/Board/326

OfflineAcaterpillar
A little mad...
Male User Gallery

Loc: Down the rabbit hole
Re: Sixth mass extinction is here: US study [Re: sprinkles] * 1
    #21830831 - 06/20/15 12:33 AM (8 years, 9 months ago)

How much sex Hispanics have?

Never knew you were such a bigot Sprinkles.

--------------------
Aaa...E I O Uuu...A E I O Uuu..A E I O uh Uuu..
*Cough* *Cough*
Ooo...U E I O Aaa...U E I Aaa..A E I O Uuuuu...

At first sight, The Perfection of Wisdom is bewildering, full of paradox and apparent irrationality.

InvisibleLe_Canard
The Duk Abides

Loc: Earthfarm 1 Flag
Re: Sixth mass extinction is here: US study [Re: musiclover420] * 1
    #21830834 - 06/20/15 12:34 AM (8 years, 9 months ago)

Unless every nation on Earth changes its ways, we might have a fighting chance. As the odds of that happening are about the same as a solid gold meteorite landing on my porch, we are all eventually fucked. I have met the enemy, and he is us.....

Offlinemusiclover420
psychonaut
Male User Gallery

Re: Sixth mass extinction is here: US study [Re: sprinkles]
    #21830875 - 06/20/15 12:43 AM (8 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

sprinkles said:
um they dont have a clue how much sex hispanics have, it seems.  you can go to any place in the western US and see people continue to breed like rats and population is rising at an alarming rate.  False claims.

Wow that may be a new low even for you sprinkles, I hope for your sake that was just a really bad joke...

Quote:

"If it is allowed to continue, life would take many millions of years to recover and our species itself would likely disappear early on,"

Canard, we are slowly improving. I have some hope, it sucks how many selfish people are out there but people are starting to wake up.

Hopefully we make it becouse humans can be very amazing creatures but our world is dominated by greed...

I care more for the planet and all the wonderful life that has evolved here we are ruining, so much time and evolution wasted by careless humans.

Quote:

I have met the enemy, and he is us.....

QFT, we also could be our greatest ally when working together for a positive future.

--------------------

OfflineBitter Cactus
reformed bad boy
 User Gallery

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Re: Sixth mass extinction is here: US study [Re: musiclover420]
    #21831001 - 06/20/15 01:11 AM (8 years, 9 months ago)

Either way, I don't care much about any animals so long as I have good food on my table each day and my dog is happy. The only other time I interact with animals are when I see them on my television screen on national geographic.

--------------------
Taking acid and thinking you are a better man is a lot different then actually becoming a better man.

OfflineFreeTheSoul
The wonderer.
Re: Sixth mass extinction is here: US study [Re: Bitter Cactus]
    #21831056 - 06/20/15 01:38 AM (8 years, 9 months ago)

I raise geckos that were rediscovered in 1994 after they thought they were extinct. Crested gecko.

InvisibleAstral Pain
Strange

Loc: Chicago
    #21831111 - 06/20/15 02:18 AM (8 years, 9 months ago)

The Endangered Species Act is preventing the state of California from constructing dams, reservoirs, and desalination plants that would help to during the droughts.

--------------------
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out"               
                -Bill Hicks-

__

InvisibleShroomopotamus
Happy Mushrooming
Female User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Funkotron
Re: Sixth mass extinction is here: US study [Re: Astral Pain]
    #21831115 - 06/20/15 02:19 AM (8 years, 9 months ago)

ehrlich

--------------------
Live by the mushroom, die by the mushroom
:mushroom2::rainbowdrink:
This is a trap! A trap! You are all busted! Busted! You fools!
:twirlyface:

If a time comes where I fail to appear I've been abducted and I will miss you all
Please smile and pet puppies as often as possible
Be happy
Be nice
(<3);}

Offlinemusiclover420
psychonaut
Male User Gallery

Re: Sixth mass extinction is here: US study [Re: Astral Pain]
    #21831125 - 06/20/15 02:28 AM (8 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

FreeTheSoul said:
I raise geckos that were rediscovered in 1994 after they thought they were extinct. Crested gecko.

That is awesome man! I love reptiles and amphibians, really cool life forms

Have you heard of giant mountain salamanders? They are fucking crazy:

Quote:

Astral Pain said:
The Endangered Species Act is preventing the state of California from constructing dams, reservoirs, and desalination plants that would help to during the droughts.

What point are you trying to make? Many laws have unintended side effects. Maybe if rich conservatives didn't "need" to play golf in the middle of the desert or corporations like nestle didn't take advantage of the water supply there would not be a need for any of those things in the first place :shrug:

--------------------

OfflineBlack_Sunset
Amateur Anesthesiologist
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere California
    #21831130 - 06/20/15 02:33 AM (8 years, 9 months ago)

It's all part of the evolution of life. Don't necessarily think of it as a bad thing. We're all life, all the species, originating from one source. I think we're on our way to greatness and humans can hopefully make it past this epic time. If we don't there's no way another species will be able to rise up and replace us. There's no more surface metals to have another technological revolution (iron age).

--------------------

InvisibleAstral Pain
Strange

#21831133 - 06/20/15 02:35 AM (8 years, 9 months ago)

Poor people need to drink water. There would be no problem across the board with the right orchestrated diversion of the rain water.

--------------------
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out"               
                -Bill Hicks-

__

Offlinestarfire_xes
I Am 'They'
Male User Gallery

Loc: Dallas with all the assho...
    #21831134 - 06/20/15 02:36 AM (8 years, 9 months ago)

Hey, I know the solution!!!  Let's have an extinction tax.  We can also have some Mass Extinction Fees, regulations, and general management of the End of the World by the Government.

You see, the world might have a chance if the government hits everyone in the wallet, and hits them hard.  You aren't going to need your money anymore since the end of the world is coming.  So pony up to save the planet.

Well, see you guys later, I'm going to see a movie.  It's called 'An Incovenient Truth: The Sequel---

This Political Advertisement was brought to you by Global Warming Version 2.0-- The Mass Extinction. :smirk:

--------------------
:smug: [/url][/url] 
:smirk: IF THE NEIGHBORS COMPLAIN BECAUSE THE MUSIC'S TOO LOUD, TURN IT UP SO YOU CAN'T HEAR THEM BITCH    :smirk:

InvisibleAsante
Omnicyclion prophet
Male User Gallery

Re: Sixth mass extinction is here: US study [Re: musiclover420] * 2
    #21831137 - 06/20/15 02:36 AM (8 years, 9 months ago)

Look I been one of the biggest disaster preachers on the site but..

No DoomThink guys.

On our path to enlightenmint we're destroying so much but we'll bring it all back.

Its gonna be awesome. Domething for everybody even the now extinct.

Try to have faith.

We're gonna turn back the clock on all misery.

Mass Extinctions clear the field for something new and better.

--------------------
Omnicyclion.org
higher knowledge starts here

InvisibleAstral Pain
Strange

Re: Sixth mass extinction is here: US study [Re: Astral Pain] * 3
    #21831151 - 06/20/15 02:45 AM (8 years, 9 months ago)

MXE must be some really good shit. :yesnod:

--------------------
                -Bill Hicks-

__

InvisibleMad_Larkin

#21831187 - 06/20/15 03:15 AM (8 years, 9 months ago)

oh well

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds