Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Kratom Powder for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineHagbardCeline
Student-Teacher-Student-Teacher
Male User Gallery

Loc: Overjoyed, at the bottom ...
Let's talk wines * 1
    #2180952 - 12/15/03 09:07 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

I decided recently to start drinking red wine for health reasons (no man on either side of my family has made it past 54).

I am starting with smoother, easy drinking reds such as Merlots.

A few I have tried so far and found enjoyable,

1. Robert Mondavi Private Reserve 2001 - My first bottle that I really enjoyed, very smooth, little tannin (my amatuer observation).
2. Danzante 2000, Robert Mondavi - A little harsher, more tannins, but still ok
3. Condesa de Leganza, Crianza 1999, - Drinking right now, Very smooth, I like it alot
4. Rhone valley wine Cotes-du-Ventoux 2002 - Uncorked
5. HRM Rex Goliath! Central Coast 'Free Range' Merlot - Also still uncorked
6. Galway Pipe, Fine Australian Tawny Port, 12-15 years aged - THIS STUFF FUCKING ROCKS, INSTANT FAVORITE.

Man, that fucking Port is good. The owner told me to try that one, said it will be one of my favorites and he was right. Good stuff. He suggested I next try a 20-30 year old bottle at 45-75 bucks, and said I'll think I have gone to heaven.

If you haven't tried port yet, go and get a bottle of the Galway Pipe, $19.99, YOU CAN'T GO WRONG, again, it fucking rocks.

Any suggestions as far as everyday reds? Ports?

Hell, lets start our own wine club suggestions, and we'll try and compare. Also, I am new to the wine world, so I would love some advice and any information you'd like to offer.

--------------------
I keep it real because I think it is important that a highly esteemed individual such as myself keep it real lest they experience the dreaded spontaneous non-existance of no longer keeping it real. - Hagbard Celine

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineRaadt
nicht

Loc: azurescending
Re: Let's talk wines [Re: HagbardCeline] * 1
    #2182304 - 12/16/03 11:36 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

I bought a case of Patricia Green 2001 pinot noir, i'm a HUGE fan of patricia green. She's inspired somewhat of a cult following, it's not going to be as smooth as a merlot, or especially a port. But it's a beautiful wine. Somewhat expensive though.

As far as ports go, usually they will vary in price as to age. One port i've had bad experience with was Six Grapes. I didn't like it at all.

You should check out some late harvest wines. Maybe a late harvest cabernet, they get very sweet. My favorites are the late harvest reislings (white), Icewine is one of my very favorite things to drink. There are a lot of good dessert wines, if you enjoy port you might enjoy them as well. But again, they usually run expensive. Higher alcohol content, though. If that's your thing.

--------------------
Raadt

-- The information I provide is only information from readings, growing of gourmet mushrooms, and second hand stories--

OfflineHagbardCeline
Male User Gallery

Re: Let's talk wines [Re: Raadt] * 1
    #2183971 - 12/16/03 09:02 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

I've read some (good) things about Patricia Green's wines.

The reason I listed all Merlots was in the beginning, I went out and bought several $20-$30 bottles of several different types, thinking that the more expensive = better tasting.

I was obviously wrong.  Though they didn't necessarily taste bad, they weren't to my liking.  Then I read that Merlots were the smoother of the reds, and decided that until my palate developed, I would drink cheaper wines that I thought tasted good.

I was fortunate enough to have found a liquor store owned by a wine connoisseur, who has since put me in the right direction. :laugh:

He still suggested that I stay with the cheaper ones, especially for everyday drinking, as some are actually quite good. 

I did buy one bottle of Pinot Noir, but it was far too harsh for my tastes as of yet.  But it may have been a bad bottle.

The port was just something I had long wanted to try, but the uncertainty of when they were ready to drink, and unknowledgable salestaff at the stores I visited, put me off buying one.  This really is an excellent drink though.  For Christmas, my girlfriend and I are staying at her parents, and I planned on getting one of the 20 year olds he suggested at abouty $45, or maybe a 30 year old at $75.

I did try some Rieslings as well, and found them to be to my liking.  One tasted just like Granny Smith apples.

Did you find that more tannic wines such as Cabarnets, were an aquired taste?  It isn't that I find they taste bad, but are just too harsh for my liking.  What do you think is the next step up in tannins/harshness (just using it generally).  In other words, is Pinot Noir what you suggest next, or something else?

--------------------
I keep it real because I think it is important that a highly esteemed individual such as myself keep it real lest they experience the dreaded spontaneous non-existance of no longer keeping it real. - Hagbard Celine

Invisibleeric_the_red
I'm a teapot User Gallery

#2184497 - 12/17/03 01:54 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

pinot noir would be taking a step away from cabernets. you should try at least one though. i recommend clos du bois pinot noir. actually, i recommend any wine they make.

you might want to try a zinfandel, sangiovese, or a shiraz.

in the zins, look for robert sinskey(sp?) or dancing bull

if you want to try a dirt cheap, but good sangiovese, look for placido: primavera sangiovese. it is around $9 for a 1.5 liter bottle. that is one the best deals on wine i have ever found.

rosemount estate makes a nice australian shiraz.

bonny doon makes great wines. look for "big house red" or, if you want a darker red, "heart of darkness."

--------------------
Anno cock? is that some kind of Greek liqueur? -Geo's All Knowing Sex Slave

OfflineHagbardCeline
Male User Gallery

Re: Let's talk wines [Re: eric_the_red] * 1
    #2188800 - 12/18/03 08:43 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

I did have a bottle of Clos du Bois, but I don't remember the type, and it was pretty good. 

Has anyone tried the Vac-u-Vin, the device that creates a vaccum on the bottle, then reinserts it own cork, supposedly to keep the wine longer?  I have heard mixed reviews. 

It is pretty difficult for me to drink more than a glass a night.  In 3 days in the the refrigerator, the wine goes bad.  Really, it doesn't taste near as good the 2nd day, but it is palatable.  Day 3 and I have a bottle of vinegar. :crazy:

--------------------

OfflineGranola
bag lady

Loc: 50.0N-6.0E
    #2189011 - 12/18/03 10:20 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

the vac-u-vin does work, but it's meant for longer term storage of wines. if you drink a bottle in a week it's not needed, I sometimes keep an open bottle for cooking and it helps it keep.

OfflineHagbardCeline
Male User Gallery

Re: Let's talk wines [Re: Granola] * 1
    #2189108 - 12/18/03 11:06 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Even the makers claim only 2 weeks, but every review I have read says 3-5 days maximum .

Bottles I have opened, have all been bad by day 3. Stored in the refrigerator, or not.

What do you consider long term storage?

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Kratom Powder for Sale