Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlineummikko
sika joka eilenn? on pelkk?sika

Loc: Finland
How long does it take for you to start writing an essay?
    #2179972 - 12/15/03 03:06 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

I can stare at "blank document-microsoft word" sometimes for an hour without having anything to say. Then I type something, look at, and erase it. Once I'm past the first couple of sentences the thing basically writes itself.

Is writing a similar process for you people (am I just weird)?

(Yes, I am wondering this because I am trying to write an essay just now)

--------------------
"All substances are poisons; there is none which is not a poison. The right dose differentiates a poison and a remedy." -Paracelsius

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineRandolph_Carter
НơĻ?ĢΉō

Loc: Shroomery B-list.
Re: How long does it take for you to start writing an essay? [Re: ummikko]
    #2179989 - 12/15/03 03:16 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Depends....I usually just think about it until i know what i want to say, then start writing....almost always ends up quite a bit longer than i had intended.
If it's a subject i have no intrest in, it takes for bloody ever.

--------------------
"..all those molecules thrashing their kinky little tails, hot for destiny and the street."  Gibson

Nuke baby seals for Jesus!

(This has been a +1 production.)

OfflineSpecialEd
+ one

Loc: : Gringo
    #2179990 - 12/15/03 03:16 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

You should consider prewriting.

Before you start typing an essay, spend a day or two formulating your thoughts on the subject and get some idea of structure. Then make a brief outline on paper or just take note of your thoughts.

If that doesn't sound like fun, you can trick yourself into writing. Just start pounding out words on the keyboard. Like you said, the first sentences are hard, so don't worry if it isn't perfect. Just get your ideas out and revise them several times.

Works for me, at least.

--------------------
"Plus one upvote +1..."
--- //
-- :meff:
  /l_l\/
--\-/----

Offlineummikko
sika joka eilenn? on pelkk?sika

Loc: Finland
Re: How long does it take for you to start writing an essay? [Re: SpecialEd]
    #2180040 - 12/15/03 03:33 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

This really comes down to my perfectionism, and nothing else. Especially with a subject I have interest in, nothing I write down is good enough. I do a lot of prewriting, the thoughts and structure are easy. Saying them "just the way I want it said" is the hard part...

--------------------
"All substances are poisons; there is none which is not a poison. The right dose differentiates a poison and a remedy." -Paracelsius

OfflineStonedShroom
OG shroomerite
 User Gallery

#2180066 - 12/15/03 03:57 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

I used to write and re-write essays in my head then type... usually the first draft I write is the final with little or minor changes. That's why I hated turning in 'rough drafts'. I usually typed it out like 2-3 days before it was due then used that buffer time to incorporate quotes/citations and double/triple check grammar, punctuation, and spelling. I never turned in an outline or rough draft if they were due earlier than the final draft. Thank God most of my English teachers had us turn everything in at once and just walked by and checked to see if we had anything down on paper. heh I remember one time my teacher was wakling by the desks and I pulled out my history notes just to have something out and she didn't even read it. Easiest 25 pts I ever made.

--------------------
We are not human beings going through a temporary spiritual experience.

We are spiritual beings going through a temporary human experience.

OfflineNiamhNyx
I'm NOT a 'he'
Female User Gallery

#2180067 - 12/15/03 03:57 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

I'm a writer and I have the same problem, especially recently. I *want* to write really badly but as soon as I get a sentence out I'm unsatisfied and start again. I'm in the middle of a block and it sucks. As far as essays are concerned, I havn't written one since high school but they work roughly the same way any other type of writing does for me. The first and last paragraphs are always the hardest.

Offlinebarfightlard
tales of theinexpressible
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Canoodia
    #2180571 - 12/15/03 06:53 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Same thing happens to me. But, as soon as I get a little thought flowwing then it's easy.

--------------------

"What business is it of yours what I do, read, buy, see, say, think, who I fuck, what I take into my body - as long as I do not harm another human being on this planet?" - Bill Hicks

OfflineBoglyn
Put them on theglass
 User Gallery

#2181001 - 12/15/03 09:26 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Yeah I have the same problem. We are working on some large documents at work right now. It is several different documents and most are more than 15 pages and it is all technical writing which I hate with a passion. Anyhow I have the same problem as you but mine is more motivational based than anything else. These documents are stupid and just buisy work durring are down time. I should be happy though. Many people dont have jobs right now.

When I was in school though the first lines where the hardest. Then everything would just flow out of me. Probably simular to what you do. See if listening to music helps you.

--------------------
The sun, with all those planets revolving around it and dependent on it, can still ripen a bunch of grapes as if it had nothing else in the universe to do.
---Galileo

Invisibleoneducktwoducks
Re: How long does it take for you to start writing an essay? [Re: Boglyn]
    #2181018 - 12/15/03 09:30 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

I use music as a distraction that allows me to procrastinate even more. I find that just sitting down with nothing to distract you, and just writing the first paragraph will help a shitload, even if you just stop after getting the intro, then you come back to it a few days later. You'll have something to build on, and you won't be nervous about starting your paper.

Anonymous

Re: How long does it take for you to start writing an essay? [Re: SpecialEd]
    #2183297 - 12/16/03 04:53 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

SpecialEd said:
You should consider prewriting.

Before you start typing an essay, spend a day or two formulating your thoughts on the subject and get some idea of structure.  Then make a brief outline on paper or just take note of your thoughts.

If that doesn't sound like fun, you can trick yourself into writing.  Just start pounding out words on the keyboard.  Like you said, the first sentences are hard, so don't worry if it isn't perfect.  Just get your ideas out and revise them several times.

Works for me, at least.

It works for Bob Dylan too. I ran across this quote today and now this thread so...

"I found myself writing this song, this story, this long piece of vomit, about twenty pages long,
and out of it I took 'Like A Rolling Stone'." Canada, 1966

:thumbup:

InvisibleTheDude
is waiting forthe peak

#2184048 - 12/16/03 09:36 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

To speed things up I usually skip writing an intro on the first pass. Then I re-write things and add an intro once I know the direction my paper went. Outlines help as well.

And I try to handwrite my papers, the computer is too distracting when I just want to get my thoughts out.

--------------------
"this lebowski he called himself 'the dude'. now, 'dude', that's a name no one would self-apply where i come from but there was a lot about the dude that didn't make sense to me...."--the Stranger

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale