Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleXibalba
Stranger
Is it always even possible to do the right thing?
    #2165765 - 12/07/03 01:31 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Edited by Xibalba (09/29/05 11:08 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
Re: Is it always even possible to do the right thing? [Re: Xibalba]
    #2165772 - 12/07/03 02:54 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

This is not the end-all, but a good rule of thumb is, "Would you be embarrased or ashamed if the people you hold in highest regard were to see and publicly review your actions?"

Or is it always possible to do 'the right thing?'
It is always possible to make your own ethically highest choice.

A possible dilemna would be to save your own child and let others perish or to save several others and let your own child perish. If you were "merely" a parent no one could fault you for saving your own child. However, if you were a public servant such as a fireman, I would say your duty would be to save as many children as possible.

OfflineZenGecko
enthusiast
Re: Is it always even possible to do the right thing? [Re: Swami]
    #2165776 - 12/07/03 03:07 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

i dont believe in good or evil, really, just do unto others as you would have then do unto you, but anyways.... Here is an intresting question, could you end up in a situation with no right choice, by making all the best right choices up until that situation? Also it is entirely possible that even the best most moral choice far enough down the line could set into motion a chain of events that eventually  have terrible evil consequences (if you believe in evil)...luckily everything is just as it should be, and none of us can help but do what we do, atleast thats my opinion...but you all know that already :wink:
Sincerely,
That which is, and has no choice but to be

Invisiblekaiowas
lest we baguette
 User Gallery

Loc: oz
    #2166107 - 12/07/03 08:47 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

well true ethics are different for everyone, but really whether that is true or not, we all have them. it also depends on where your desires go and take you.

but here you say being good as possible, but what is being good as possible mean? what IS possible? that's what I love about this concept is because it all boils down to your morality.

ethics, just a part of your morals, aka distinguishing between right and wrong. what is correct and incorrect, is all based on value judgements.

so we have no morals then? no judgement of value? nothing to speak of then. not another word?

--------------------
Annnnnnd I had a light saber and my friend was there and I said "you look like an indian" and he said "you look like satan" and he found a stick and a rock and he named the rock ooga booga and he named the stick Stick and we both thought that was pretty funny. We got eaten alive by mosquitos but didn't notice til the next day. I stepped on some glass while wading in the swamp and cut my foot open, didn't bother me til the next day either....yeah it was a good time, ended the night by buying some liquor for minors and drinking nips and going to he diner and eating chicken fingers, and then I went home and went to bed.

OfflinePositronius
playboy

Loc: montreal-vancouver-tokyo
Re: Is it always even possible to do the right thing? [Re: kaiowas]
    #2166127 - 12/07/03 09:01 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

i think we have built in morals. Mo-Tzu once made an argument that;

if you are to take a man and put him beside a well, and then take a baby and drop it in the well, the man will instinctivly attempt to catch it - an instant reflex.

can this reflex be regarded as an instinctual moral?

--------------------
and you know it like a poet, like....babydoll

Anonymous

#2166159 - 12/07/03 09:24 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Swami's answer isn't half bad so I don't need to repeat what he said.

I was hoping you would join the fray in the evolution thread. You were one of the thinkers I was missing. Evolution used to be such an issue for you.

Nice to see you posting.

Invisiblekaiowas
lest we baguette
 User Gallery

Loc: oz
Re: Is it always even possible to do the right thing? [Re: Positronius]
    #2166168 - 12/07/03 09:29 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

yeah it could. what happens is there is a shock. it mattered so much in fact that made it so shocking, the the reflex was instant. he cared. you don't make instant reactions like that unless it's built in. if you don't care, then you won't care.

--------------------
Annnnnnd I had a light saber and my friend was there and I said "you look like an indian" and he said "you look like satan" and he found a stick and a rock and he named the rock ooga booga and he named the stick Stick and we both thought that was pretty funny. We got eaten alive by mosquitos but didn't notice til the next day. I stepped on some glass while wading in the swamp and cut my foot open, didn't bother me til the next day either....yeah it was a good time, ended the night by buying some liquor for minors and drinking nips and going to he diner and eating chicken fingers, and then I went home and went to bed.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom