Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]
Invisibletrippinballs420
Samall Johnson
Male User Gallery

Loc: CO Flag
Can an Admin comment on this?
    #21494249 - 04/02/15 09:10 PM (8 years, 11 months ago)

this post was from over 10 years ago.....after just dumping 100$ into support accounts for funsies i got to thinking, where does the money go?

10 years ago
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/3710394
Quote:

ZippoZ said:
on the main threrad last i saw 41 supporters had joined this is just the first half day so i can assume that it will grow much bigger, but from those 41 users @ $5 a piece is $205 a month and 2,460 a year. now im going to go ahead and say that im sure we can see this figure atleast quadruple (4x since i spelled it wrong)
leaving the shroomery with about $10,000 $9840 to be exact. and that is with 164 supporters.

lets say the number grows to 200 supporters $12,000 a year is coming in, at 300 supporters is 18,000 a year. aproaching a sum of money that someone could feasably live on for a year!

now i know that matienence of this site isnt going to cost that much. so whre is this money going to go?

also from the legal stand point, with the server being in the u.s  you have created a financial entity basically a business. im not sure of the legal orginisation of the shroomery if it has been formed as a corporation, a LLC, a sole proprietorship or what, but you can be assured that someone is going to be looking for tax money.

being a busines law student i can help out with some of these problems and give some advise if it is needed. but just be careful the goverment is going to want to take atleast 28% of this money and thats with a LLC corporate filing, if its a sole proprietor ship its the same, if its a corporation you might be looking at from 28% to 33% depending on your status.

anyways i have to run.. but this is a matter that needs to be resolved if it is not allready, just lookin out for the site, i would hate to see the servers seised for back tac money :blush: !

Quote:

geokills said:
Hey zippoz,

With respect to your legal concerns for our community, thank you for caring!  The Shroomery is currently owned and operated by Mind Media, Inc., a California based S-corporation.  Ythan is the President of Mind Media, Thor is the Secretary, Anno is our Senior Tech Advisor, Vamp is our Resident Linux Bitch (:grin:), and I am the Treasurer. 

I am not privy to all of the financial history of this website, but I assure you from the time I have been handling finances we have kept detailed books and are making every effort to proceed in legitimate and legal fashion.  If you have any other concerns or questions, by all means fire me a PM and we can hash it out.  I'm not a professional, so this is still a learning process for me and I'd love to hear about anything else that may warrant consideration. :sun:

so i went to their website....pretty bare-bones....kinda surprising for ythan but whatever, im just wondering are you guys making any money as a company?
Quote:

Welcome to Mind Media, Inc. We provide unique solutions to help build online communities, with a focus on personalized service and technical innovation.

http://www.mind-media.com/

are mods making money? are admins? which ones? because these could strongly influence how donations are handled in the future. i know its impossible to run this site for free but did you use the original subscriptions/donations as startup money for this company that is now making money doing stuff for other people? if so i feel like i kinda just gave money to a rich person

--------------------
ModestMouse said:
"Much love for all of the regs here that's all I got to say
:goodnight: "

:heart:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleBodhi of Ankou
*alternate opinion blocks path*
Other

Loc: Soviet Canukistan Flag
Re: Can an Admin comment on this? [Re: trippinballs420] * 3
    #21494280 - 04/02/15 09:14 PM (8 years, 11 months ago)

I doubt theres 200 supporters, and 20,000 a year isnt much for running and maintaining this website. I really dont see the problem.

InvisibleAdden
I'm a teapot
Loc: Flag
Re: Can an Admin comment on this? [Re: trippinballs420] * 1
    #21494283 - 04/02/15 09:14 PM (8 years, 11 months ago)

Mods aren't making money (more power to them). I believe all administration do except at least 2. Never asked, you should :pm: geokills or :pm: Ythan. They're both a pleasure to talk to and receptive of members questions like this.

Ythan once said (paraphrased) that geokills does his money magic to keep the website up and running indefinitely. I imagine they have done it through investments and diversified portfolios with constant monitoring if such was the case.

You'll likely get more info having a discussion with them but I doubt a business wants to give away financial information or business strategy?

InvisiblePrisoner#1
Even Dumber ThanAdvertized!
 User Gallery

Loc: Pvt. Pubfag NutSuck
Re: Can an Admin comment on this? [Re: trippinballs420]
    #21494334 - 04/02/15 09:18 PM (8 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

trippinballs420 said:
are mods making money?

no, we are volunteers and stupid

Quote:

are admins? which ones?

they put the time and effort into keeping the site running, they draw a very
small amount, it's not even worth mentioning, sometimes they pool that money
and spend it on the mods, about 4 years ago we got hoodies. a great deal of the
money earned going into maintenance and upgrades in addition to covering the
bandwidth used which is a sizable chunk

Invisiblejboredone
Money-The root of all evil....
 User Gallery

Re: Can an Admin comment on this? [Re: Adden]
    #21494359 - 04/02/15 09:22 PM (8 years, 11 months ago)

the site also makes money off of advertisements and amazon if you go to their site from this one....but who cares....:justdontknow:

--------------------
Peace Pot Micro-Dot God Loves You High or Not!!!
In order to grow old and wise, you must once have been young and dumb!

Invisibletrippinballs420
Samall Johnson
Male User Gallery

Re: Can an Admin comment on this? [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #21494373 - 04/02/15 09:25 PM (8 years, 11 months ago)

i dont care about the shroomery, i mean like working for the other company.....do you make money from mind media? or is that just the front to try to keep law enforcement from fucking you guys for taking money for providing grey area information

--------------------
ModestMouse said:

Invisiblevinsue
Grand Old Fart
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Garden State(NJ) Flag
Re: Can an Admin comment on this? [Re: Prisoner#1] * 3
    #21494423 - 04/02/15 09:34 PM (8 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

... about 4 years ago we got hoodies...

Shroomery hoodie or one of these?

http://www.growery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/767223#767223

:monopoly: . . . :peace:

--------------------

"All mushrooms are edible; but some only once." Croatian proverb. BTW ...
  Have You Rated Ythans Mom Yet ?? ... :taser:  ... HERE'S HOW ... (be nice) .  :mod: ... :peace:

OfflineAdolin
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: USA Flag
    #21494430 - 04/02/15 09:34 PM (8 years, 11 months ago)

not that i know shit about business, but mind-media does seem like a shell company or something, if im using the term correctly.

what other websites and companies does mind-media own?

i wouldn't bother ythan or other admins with this question because untimately it doesnt have any effect on my use of the site. but i can't help but be curious what other properties "mind-media, Inc" owns

Edited by Adolin (04/02/15 09:35 PM)

InvisibleAdden
I'm a teapot
Re: Can an Admin comment on this? [Re: trippinballs420] * 1
    #21494436 - 04/02/15 09:36 PM (8 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

trippinballs420 said:
i dont care about the shroomery, i mean like working for the other company.....do you make money from mind media? or is that just the front to try to keep law enforcement from fucking you guys for taking money for providing grey area information

It's not grey area information. It's in the 1st amendment to the United States Constitution. I'd venture a guess their money is kept well and their P's and Q's, crossing every T and dotting every i.

Grey area would be drug trade money laundering - even taking btc for the store is a horrid idea - or things like dosage advice that are dangerous for a long variety of reasons. I've known Ythan and geokills a long time and I'm sure being within a million miles of a grey area is where they'd be. There is no front, lol. I'm too baked to type, give them a message or maybe they'll see this.

Invisibletrippinballs420
Samall Johnson
Male User Gallery

Re: Can an Admin comment on this? [Re: Adolin]
    #21494507 - 04/02/15 09:53 PM (8 years, 11 months ago)

also, Ythan keeps this place running it seems by himself basically. The admins named as secretary of mind media inc (Thor) and senior tech advisor (Anno) have rarely made appearances on shroomery in the past few years, and vampire999 hasnt been on in almost 3 years....he is listed as their "resident linux bitch".

to me it seems Ythan and Geokills are the only people still attatched to the shroomery AND mind media....so what happened? why arent they so shroomery friendly anymore? is mind media profitable and helping to control other forums?

oh and sorry pris...it seems you werent let in on this side project :hug:

--------------------
ModestMouse said:

Invisibletrippinballs420
Samall Johnson
Male User Gallery

Re: Can an Admin comment on this? [Re: Adden]
    #21494521 - 04/02/15 09:55 PM (8 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

TEMPLAR PALADIN said:
Quote:

trippinballs420 said:

It's not grey area information. It's in the 1st amendment to the United States Constitution. I'd venture a guess their money is kept well and their P's and Q's, crossing every T and dotting every i.

Grey area would be drug trade money laundering - even taking btc for the store is a horrid idea - or things like dosage advice that are dangerous for a long variety of reasons. I've known Ythan and geokills a long time and I'm sure being within a million miles of a grey area is where they'd be. There is no front, lol. I'm too baked to type, give them a message or maybe they'll see this.

well thats what im saying......Ythan and geokills are the only ones standing strong with both the shroomery and mind media...whats the dealio....why dont they need the other 3 people all of a sudden

--------------------
ModestMouse said:

Invisibletrippinballs420
Samall Johnson
Male User Gallery

#21494568 - 04/02/15 10:06 PM (8 years, 11 months ago)

--------------------
ModestMouse said:

Invisibleextreme
Male

#21494582 - 04/02/15 10:09 PM (8 years, 11 months ago)

I was actually wondering recently how much money Ythan had made from this site.  His "Moms" posts come up every once in a while and at first she didn't like him doing this website but since it had grown so much she realized it was actually working for him.  So yea I am curious what Ythan has made from this site since it started, but that is obviously a personal question that he doesn't need to answer if he doesn't want to.  It just makes me think though, because I bet this has been quite the project!

:ythan:

InvisibleBodhi of Ankou
*alternate opinion blocks path*
Other

Loc: Soviet Canukistan Flag
    #21494588 - 04/02/15 10:11 PM (8 years, 11 months ago)

Hmm what exactly is a "black box proxy block"?

Invisibletrippinballs420
Samall Johnson
Male User Gallery

Re: Can an Admin comment on this? [Re: extreme]
    #21494603 - 04/02/15 10:15 PM (8 years, 11 months ago)

these are the same companies.....same addresses, same names....somehow one website estimates Mind Media Inc of 849 Almar Ave. C-187, Santa Cruz CA 95060 has an annual revenue of 110,000!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And an employee of 1!!!!!!!!!

either one hell of a mix up or one hell of a shell company

http://www.manta.com/c/mrpvgc8/mind-media-inc?ftoggle-frontend-prod-on=abTests.speed.distil&utm_expid=82789632-40.QgpwtuS9RT-Vk2BteVfoew.2&utm_referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2F

--------------------
ModestMouse said:

Invisibletrippinballs420
Samall Johnson
Male User Gallery

#21494607 - 04/02/15 10:16 PM (8 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Prisoner#1 said:
Quote:

trippinballs420 said:
are mods making money?

no, we are volunteers and stupid

Quote:

are admins? which ones?

they put the time and effort into keeping the site running, they draw a very
small amount, it's not even worth mentioning, sometimes they pool that money
and spend it on the mods, about 4 years ago we got hoodies. a great deal of the
money earned going into maintenance and upgrades in addition to covering the
bandwidth used which is a sizable chunk

so pris you wanna answer questions you dont know shit about again?

--------------------
ModestMouse said:

OfflinePLURAL
PLUR
Male
Loc: PLUR
Re: Can an Admin comment on this? [Re: trippinballs420] * 2
    #21494822 - 04/02/15 11:42 PM (8 years, 11 months ago)

I don't care if Ythan and Geo each profit a million dollars a year, I know they don't, I'm just saying, I'd still have no problem donating to a place that I use and like so much. This is a wonderful community and well worth it.

Mind media owns the shroomery, the growery, and they used to operate another site, rate my pipe, or something like that, as far as I'm aware that's it, but I don't know much and I'm going off of old info.

I personally don't think it's really any of our business how much they make, honestly.

Quote:

trippinballs420 said:
so pris you wanna answer questions you dont know shit about again?

Why do you say that?

He hasn't said anything that has been contradicted here.

--------------------
PLUR

OfflinePLURAL
PLUR
Male
Loc: PLUR
Re: Can an Admin comment on this? [Re: PLURAL]
    #21494847 - 04/02/15 11:55 PM (8 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Bodhi of Ankou said:
Hmm what exactly is a "black box proxy block"?

It's what the shroomery uses to block people from accessing the site via proxies/tor, it keeps puppets/spammers at bay.

http://www.shroomery.org/ythan/proxyblock.php

Ythan is pretty upfront about a lot of what he does.

http://www.shroomery.org/ythan

--------------------
PLUR

InvisibleAdden
I'm a teapot
Re: Can an Admin comment on this? [Re: PLURAL]
    #21494849 - 04/02/15 11:56 PM (8 years, 11 months ago)

Cute_Ferret_Pic is a cute ferret pic.

Offliner00tuuu123
Now I'm just really piseed
 User Gallery

Loc: I'll be there in a minute
    #21494853 - 04/02/15 11:57 PM (8 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

trippinballs420 said:
this post was from over 10 years ago.....after just dumping 100$ into support accounts for funsies i got to thinking, where does the money go?

10 years ago
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/3710394
Quote:

ZippoZ said:
on the main threrad last i saw 41 supporters had joined this is just the first half day so i can assume that it will grow much bigger, but from those 41 users @ $5 a piece is $205 a month and 2,460 a year. now im going to go ahead and say that im sure we can see this figure atleast quadruple (4x since i spelled it wrong)
leaving the shroomery with about $10,000 $9840 to be exact. and that is with 164 supporters.

lets say the number grows to 200 supporters $12,000 a year is coming in, at 300 supporters is 18,000 a year. aproaching a sum of money that someone could feasably live on for a year!

now i know that matienence of this site isnt going to cost that much. so whre is this money going to go?

also from the legal stand point, with the server being in the u.s  you have created a financial entity basically a business. im not sure of the legal orginisation of the shroomery if it has been formed as a corporation, a LLC, a sole proprietorship or what, but you can be assured that someone is going to be looking for tax money.

being a busines law student i can help out with some of these problems and give some advise if it is needed. but just be careful the goverment is going to want to take atleast 28% of this money and thats with a LLC corporate filing, if its a sole proprietor ship its the same, if its a corporation you might be looking at from 28% to 33% depending on your status.

anyways i have to run.. but this is a matter that needs to be resolved if it is not allready, just lookin out for the site, i would hate to see the servers seised for back tac money :blush: !

Quote:

geokills said:
Hey zippoz,

With respect to your legal concerns for our community, thank you for caring!  The Shroomery is currently owned and operated by Mind Media, Inc., a California based S-corporation.  Ythan is the President of Mind Media, Thor is the Secretary, Anno is our Senior Tech Advisor, Vamp is our Resident Linux Bitch (:grin:), and I am the Treasurer. 

I am not privy to all of the financial history of this website, but I assure you from the time I have been handling finances we have kept detailed books and are making every effort to proceed in legitimate and legal fashion.  If you have any other concerns or questions, by all means fire me a PM and we can hash it out.  I'm not a professional, so this is still a learning process for me and I'd love to hear about anything else that may warrant consideration. :sun:

so i went to their website....pretty bare-bones....kinda surprising for ythan but whatever, im just wondering are you guys making any money as a company?
Quote:

Welcome to Mind Media, Inc. We provide unique solutions to help build online communities, with a focus on personalized service and technical innovation.

are mods making money? are admins? which ones? because these could strongly influence how donations are handled in the future. i know its impossible to run this site for free but did you use the original subscriptions/donations as startup money for this company that is now making money doing stuff for other people? if so i feel like i kinda just gave money to a rich person

I doubt they make anything more than a meager salary from advertising revenue from sponsors. You can only sell so many prints and syringes. :shrug:

--------------------
:kingcrankey: Please report me to a Mod for hurting your punk ass hippie feelings :flipthebird: And all time Champion thread killer.:thatsayes:

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds