Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals, CBD Capsules   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlinethecrow75
Loc: endless space
i take abilify and cannabis together...is it safe?
    #21346274 - 02/28/15 10:24 PM (9 years, 1 month ago)

I started taking 30mg of abilify about 8 years ago. (I've been smoking cannabis the whole time throughout the years off and on but mostly on). I just realized recently that I've been on too high a dose of abilfy. it has been shown that an average dose of abilify is 10-15mg but more than 15mg does not help more than 15mg. my psychiatrist just recently put me on 20mg of abilify with a goal to get down to 15mg in 2 or 3 months. I started feeling "funny" about 8 months ago and determined it was too much ablify but was wondering if smoking cannabis is safe with abilify. I don't get as high off the cannabis, I don't care about that. I just wonder if I could harm my brain if I take ablify and smoke cannabis together on a daily basis. yes, I have heard that abilify can be bad for you, because of some glutamate thing, but I needed it to relieve the psychosis. some people with schizoaffective disorder can be made better by anti-psychotics and then 10% of them may never need anti-psychotics again, but I don't think I'm lucky enough to be one of those 10%. also, maybe I shouldn't be smoking so much cannabis anymore and try to give it up. I heard that cannabis goops up the synapses though when you smoke it again you get re-access back into those areas of the brain. any type of helpful responses appreciated. be kynd, the crow

Edited by thecrow75 (03/12/15 09:37 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineleery11
I Tell You What!

Re: i take abilify and cannabis together...is it safe? [Re: thecrow75]
    #21350245 - 03/01/15 11:04 PM (9 years, 1 month ago)

i don't think man knows of any drug combinations that are unsafe to fuse with cannabis. cannabis tends to detox pharmaceuticals as its a powerful anti-oxidant.

if you're fine right now and you've done it before don't worry about it and keep toking on i say... I tell you What :smile:

--------------------
I am the MacDaddy of Heimlich County, I play it Straight Up Yo!

....I embrace my desire to feel the rhythm, to feel connected enough to step aside and weep like a widow, to feel inspired, to fathom the power, to witness the beauty, to bathe in the fountain, to swing on the spiral of our divinity and still be a human......
Om Namah Shivaya, I tell you What!

InvisibleGrateful Dead
A Growing Ambivalence
Male User Gallery

Loc: Parked Car, Playing NPR
    #21350897 - 03/02/15 07:20 AM (9 years, 1 month ago)

Hello and welcome man :grin:

About your question, I don't believe there are any serious chemical risks to using both cannabis and Abilify.

I don't know if smoking is a good idea because if you have a condition like schizoaffective disorder. Cannabis in some cases can exacerbate mental illness. Also I personally believe that having a clear head is the fastest road to recovery.

Another thing that concerns me is the dosage being so high for so long, I hope your doctor is giving you the care you deserve my friend, are you in consoling?

Anyways sending lots of love via the interwebs :heart:

:pm: me anytime man

--------------------
Life begins on the other side of despair...

Offlinethecrow75
Re: i take abilify and cannabis together...is it safe? [Re: Grateful Dead]
    #21368198 - 03/05/15 08:49 PM (9 years, 1 month ago)

well it's good to know that it's safe to take abilify and smoke cannabis too. I only had an adverse reaction once and it's hard to say what caused that. I'm getting down to 15mg of abilify (currently on 20 mg per day) and I'm feeling better everyday since reducing the abilify.

OfflinePed
Interested In Your Brain
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Canada
    #21369083 - 03/06/15 02:15 AM (9 years, 1 month ago)

Pharmacy technician and armchair pharmacologist here.

Aripiprazole (Ablify) is unlikely to present any significant problems when combined with cannabis.  Chronic cannabis use has a persistent detrimental effect on dopamine neurotransmission, but aripiprazole may help attenuate this by way of its partial agonist activity at dopamine receptors D2 through D4.  This combination may in fact be a positive.

One thing to watch out for are changes in blood pressure and heart rate, as aripiprazole impacts these via 5-HT2C.  Cannabis is known to have a clinically significant effect on the cardiovascular system, and combining this with a 5-HT2C agonist like aripiprazole may increase these effects somewhat. 

Speaking personally, I had to halt my cannabis use owing to QT interval prolongation inherent to norquetiapine, the major metabolite of a related medication I take, quetiapine (Seroquel), which also has appreciable activity at 5-HT2C.  This effect was causing tachycardia, palpitation, and transient arrythmia.  I can confidently associate these symptoms as an interaction between cannabis and quetiapine, as the effects appeared proximally on a consistent basis, and did not appear aproximally.  As aripiprazole shares this mechanism with quetiapine, it's worthwhile to be alert for potential cardiovascular effects emergent from this combination, but the risk of this remains relatively low.

--------------------

:poison: Dark Triangles - New Psychedelic Techno Single - Listen on Soundcloud :poison:
Gyroscope full album available SoundCloud or MySpace

Offlinethecrow75
Re: i take abilify and cannabis together...is it safe? [Re: leery11]
    #21369401 - 03/06/15 06:11 AM (9 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

leery11 said:
i don't think man knows of any drug combinations that are unsafe to fuse with cannabis. cannabis tends to detox pharmaceuticals as its a powerful anti-oxidant.

if you're fine right now and you've done it before don't worry about it and keep toking on i say... I tell you What :smile:

I'm not sure this is true about no known drug combinations that are unsafe to fuse with cannabis. well, that is to say if anti-biotics are considered a drug. I was on a regimen of anti-biotics, including cipro, flagyl, and then amoxicillin clavulanate potassium tablets and when I smoked cannabis felt terrible on all three. it was a severe reaction, too.

Offlinem4dScientist
Music Always Helps
 User Gallery

#21371023 - 03/06/15 01:53 PM (9 years, 1 month ago)

op, try laying off the herb for a while. it only signals your brain to stop producing gaba, which is known to produce anxiety, thus fueling depression. if you've been smoking for this long, im sure the gaba levels in your brain are non existent. a lotta people find that once they've given their brains some time to recover after smoking weed, their symptoms alleviate somewhat.

Offlinethecrow75
Re: i take abilify and cannabis together...is it safe? [Re: m4dScientist]
    #21371587 - 03/06/15 04:45 PM (9 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

m4dScientist said:
op, try laying off the herb for a while. it only signals your brain to stop producing gaba, which is known to produce anxiety, thus fueling depression. if you've been smoking for this long, im sure the gaba levels in your brain are non existent. a lotta people find that once they've given their brains some time to recover after smoking weed, their symptoms alleviate somewhat.

got it.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals, CBD Capsules   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds