Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
Testing religious freedom in America
    #2107947 - 11/14/03 10:20 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Could the Church of Satan put up a billboard advertising their religion the way Christians do? What about an atheist billboard? Or do you think, as I do, that angry, hypocritical, right-wing Christians would protest and demand that the billboards be removed, and that the government would comply?

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinemntlfngrs
The Art of Casterbation
Male User Gallery

Re: Testing religious freedom in America [Re: silversoul7]
    #2107964 - 11/14/03 10:27 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Maybe we could get a judge to put some satanic writings in his court.

If it wasn;t on public property or obscene I don't see what anyone could do. The Darwin fish on bumpers is sort of an athiest billboard.

--------------------
Be all and you'll be to end all

Invisiblesir tripsalot
Administrator

#2108094 - 11/14/03 11:22 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

They would for sure say the Satan stuff is hate litterature. Other than the already mentioned Darwin fish I can't think of what an athiest might put up.

--------------------

"Little racoons and old possums 'n' stuff all live up in here. They've got to have a little place to sit." Bob Ross.

Invisiblez@z.com
Libertarian
Loc: ATL
    #2108130 - 11/14/03 11:39 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

I see no reason why the church of satan couldn't do that. I am a Christian and while I may not like what they stand for I do defend their right to speak freely. I am sure many people would complain, but that doesn't change the fact that that billboard is not only legal, but protected.

--------------------
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada
    #2109788 - 11/15/03 06:34 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

My guess is that people would definately complain, but if it went to court, I'm pretty sure they'd win.

Unless the billboard was a direct attack upon another religion... I'm not sure what the US hate laws are like.

--------------------
"I have no valid complaint against hustlers. No rational bitch. But the act of selling is repulsive to me. I harbor a secret urge to whack a salesman in the face, crack his teeth and put red bumps around his eyes." -Hunter S Thompson
http://phluck.is-after.us

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
    #2109793 - 11/15/03 06:37 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

It would be up to the people that own the billboards, not the government.

--------------------
"America: Fuck yeah!" -- Alexthegreat

“Nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper. Truth itself becomes suspicious by being put into that polluted vehicle. The real extent of this state of misinformation is known only to those who are in situations to confront facts within their knowledge with the lies of the day.”  -- Thomas Jefferson

The greatest sin of mankind is ignorance.

The press takes [Trump] literally, but not seriously; his supporters take him seriously, but not literally. --Salena Zeto (9/23/16)

InvisibleSuperD
Cacti junky
 User Gallery

Loc: The bridgesii bridge
Re: Testing religious freedom in America [Re: Baby_Hitler]
    #2113767 - 11/16/03 11:26 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

I remember seeing something on television showing the KKK putting up their crosses somewhere in public and it was protected by freedom of speech so I see no reason why an atheist group couldn't advertise their belief while being protected by freedom of speech.

--------------------
:super:D
Manoa said:
I need to stop spending all my money on plants and take up a cheaper hobby, like heroin. :lol:

Looking for Rauhocereus riosaniensis seeds or live specimen(s), :pm: me if you have any for trade

OfflineZahid
Stranger
    #2113990 - 11/17/03 12:18 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

I'm sure it's legal, however few people have the berries to shamelessly piss off alot of people.

--------------------

InvisibleLe_Canard
The Duk Abides

Loc: Earthfarm 1 Flag
Re: Testing religious freedom in America [Re: Baby_Hitler]
    #2116208 - 11/17/03 11:43 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Yes, it would be a matter between private citizens. (I.E. the people who own the land and/or billboard, and those who were offended), so I don't think the Goverment could be involved.
Having said that, I read somewhere that the Army provides Church of Satan Chaplains for those who follow said Church.

Offlineenimatpyrt
addict
Re: Testing religious freedom in America [Re: Le_Canard]
    #2124654 - 11/20/03 08:56 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

I've seen signs for Satanistic beliefs, and it was in Raleigh NC.

--------------------
The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one.

Anonymous

#2124738 - 11/20/03 09:41 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

the government would not take the billboards down unless they violated some kind of law deemed by the courts to be consistant with the 1st ammendment.

if the board contained no "obscenity" or anything, they couldn't take it down.

citizens could pressure the billboard company to remove it, and maybe they would comply, but that's different.

Offlineenimatpyrt
addict
    #2124913 - 11/20/03 11:17 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

silversoul7 said:
Could the Church of Satan put up a billboard advertising their religion the way Christians do?

Bulletin boards are usually put up on private property with the owner either securing contracts for advertisment, or a company he has representing 'his' billboards finding the sponsors of said billboards. The "way" that Christians do their billboard advertisment is to find a renter of billboards and pay them to advertise. Could the COS do the same? Certainly. Would the owner be required to accept their offer of renting? Of course not.

Quote:

What about an atheist billboard?

Refer to previous answer.

Quote:

Or do you think, as I do, that angry, hypocritical, right-wing Christians would protest and demand that the billboards be removed, and that the government would comply?

How, exactly, would the government regulate this? Lets say hypothetically that the government owned a plot of land, lets say along side a highway, and they decided to increase revenue by renting out bulletin boards there. If they were offered a rent by the COS, or another group that might not be considered 'mainstream', they would be required by law to accept it (if they had done the same for other religious organizations). Now, lets say that the majority of the people in that municipality wanted the offensive material removed. They could bring it up at a meeting, orchestrate a vote for it, and if the vote showed that the majority of the people didn't wnt it, well then, it would go. It wouldn't be due to the reasons that your narrow mind produced, it would be because of a democratic vote. Since I've never heard of this ever happening (a government recieving revenue by renting billboards), it's an entirely moot point.

Now, option two. Lets say that the land was owned by a Christian, god-fearing farmer. It is his land, and the bulletin board (if their wasn't a contract stating otherwise) is his property and his revenue-making idea. If he wants to put up a sign saying "Jesus Cunt", he is more than welcome. If he wants to refuse to put up anything that he finds against his moral code, well, it's his land.

Your statement and question pertaining to it are incredibly flawed. You obviously have the viewpoint of a radical but lack the requisite intellgence and logic to make vaild points. The COS, or any group for that matter, is more than welcome to advertise their religion or beliefs any place that will accept them. The government has no involvement in this. If a private company (such as a TV station, a land owner, a radio owner, etc) decides that they don't want this, they have no mandate to do so. Would you like it better if the government forced private citizens to put up these billboards on their private property against their will?

--------------------
The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one.

Anonymous

Re: Testing religious freedom in America [Re: enimatpyrt]
    #2125214 - 11/20/03 01:37 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

How, exactly, would the government regulate this?

by expanding the definition of "obscenity" to include speech in support of satanic beliefs. such a thing would never fly.

Invisibleshroomophile
ShroomitusFidelis
Male User Gallery

Loc: USA
    #2128440 - 11/21/03 09:54 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

angry, hypocritical, right-wing Christians can go to hell with the rest of us.

--------------------
Once the mighty oak,was a nut who held his ground.

Jump to top Pages: 1