Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Injection Grain Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineMycoCat
a.k.a. ShroomCat

Yet Another Casing Question
    #2091257 - 11/11/03 01:34 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

I'm in a serious debate with myself right now. I'm going to be leaving for Thanksgiving (and yes I do know this topic was already covered in a recent thread) but I already have two casings that are popping mycelium.

I've searched the many casing FAQ's and Teks and haven't been able to find a sufficient answer. Should the casing layer be 100% colonized before I birth it? Do the hyphal knots form while the casing is in the incubator or when it is birthed?

I also have another question. Would it be possible just to continue patching until right before I leave and then to put the casings in the terrarium? That way I figure when I get back everything will be ready to go (I want to do this because air exchange is going to be gained from fanning and I obviously won't be able to do this for like five days).

I know I've posed quite a few questions here, so thanks for any help.

--------------------
No question is so difficult to answer as that to which the answer is obvious.

Meow.

Edited by MycoCat (11/11/03 01:36 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMycoCat
a.k.a. ShroomCat

Re: Yet Another Casing Question [Re: MycoCat]
    #2091271 - 11/11/03 01:44 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

And I'd just like to thank Lil Kussh and Magash for the Poor Man's Syringe Tek. I inoculated 11 one-pint BRF and Verm jars a few days ago and I've got large, healthy mycelium growth on all four sides of all the jars.

Thank you very much.

--------------------

Meow.

Offlinefungus888
fungus888

Loc: midwest
    #2091349 - 11/11/03 02:49 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

<Should the casing layer be 100% colonized before I birth it? Do the hyphal knots form while the casing is in the incubator or when it is birthed?>

u should birth the casing when i believe it is 50-60% colonized or u risk the chance of overlay

I quote the FAQ "Once the mycelium is more or less visible in the valeys of the casing layer throughout the casing surface, it's time to put it into the fruiting chamber."

i had then same out of town situation happen to me, set a light on a timer above your terrarium, and figure out what you want to do about air exchange and humidity--geolite and air stones work well--ie Magash

InvisibleMagash
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Loc: Near Hilo
Trusted Cultivator
    #2092163 - 11/11/03 11:30 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

No problem, glad you like the syringe tek. When I came up with it and ran my tests and had Kussh do his we knew we hit on something.

Ok, the casing idea is ok. Case right before you go and it being ready when you get back.

One way to take care of the airexchange when gone is use perlite for your main source of humidity. (if your not already) hook up a cool mist to the chamber and have it come say 3 times a day for 5 to 10 minutes. It will do the airexchange without lowering the humidity much. The perlite will have the humidity back to normal in minutes.
As we know though my intense hatered for perlite is what made me come up with the pod.

Pic of the old set up.

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

OfflineMycoCat
a.k.a. ShroomCat

Re: Yet Another Casing Question [Re: Magash]
    #2092287 - 11/11/03 12:01 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Thank you very much for the advice, but I'm sort of in the need for a stealth grow (hence why I don't already use the PMP, otherwise I would in a heartbeat).

And Magash, I've already got the casings with mycelium popping through, so should I just keep patching them right until I leave (it sounded like you thought I hadn't cased yet)?

As always, thanks for your time and help.

--------------------

Meow.

InvisibleMagash
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Loc: Near Hilo
Trusted Cultivator
    #2092387 - 11/11/03 12:28 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

I'm guessing that your not leaving for another week or two. Sounds like a long time to keep patching.

Well I can only tell ya what I'd do since I don't have any experence with doing this. I'd fruit it now and if there was any mushrooms growing before I leave I'd pick them no matter what stage they are at. Spray the top and and patch any spots that need it. They should be close to fruiting again by the time you get back.

Now if there not fruiting and maby there are some small pins. I'd make sure the casing layer was moist and put it in the fridge. Should stay dormant like a cake does and you can put it into the chamber when you get back.

I've kept colonized cakes in the fridge for months and had them fruit normaly when taken out.

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

OfflineMycoCat
a.k.a. ShroomCat

Re: Yet Another Casing Question [Re: Magash]
    #2092433 - 11/11/03 12:42 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

If I had to estimate I would say that the casings would be ready to fruit in about four more days. So I'll put them in the terrarium for about a week and a half, pick any pins then refrigerate them while I'm gone.

Do you think this will seriously affect the quality or quantity of the first flush?

And thanks for all the advice.

--------------------

Meow.

Edited by MycoCat (11/11/03 12:44 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Injection Grain Bag