Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinejillian
Stranger
Quick question on wbs
    #2087737 - 11/09/03 10:14 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

ive read a lot on this topic and i am doing it soon, but there is an area that i cant find the answer for....or maybe i just dont understand if fully...

when you soak wbs overnight (~9hrs) do i still need to put water in the jars before i pc them>?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinejillian
Stranger
Re: Quick question on wbs [Re: jillian]
    #2087739 - 11/09/03 10:15 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

also if so ..i cant find a ratio for wbs to water for a qt jar...

Invisibleeric_the_redS
Trans-male User Gallery

Loc: happy land
    #2087794 - 11/09/03 10:29 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

no, you do not need to add any extra water after soaking overnight. that would be too much water.
i don't recall ever seeing a ratio posted for wbs. there is probably one here somewhere though. try searching the cultivation forum for wbs + username sixtango.

Alounacara is right. nothing advanced here.

--------------------
Anno cock? is that some kind of Greek liqueur? -Geo's All Knowing Sex Slave

Offlinejillian
Stranger
Re: Quick question on wbs [Re: eric_the_red]
    #2087810 - 11/09/03 10:35 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

yeah ok im sorry...

Mod. can you move this to the regular cult forum for me, thanks..

Edited by jillian (11/09/03 10:43 PM)

InvisibleI_Stain_Blue
abominableshroomman

Loc: police state
    #2089818 - 11/10/03 03:26 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

you don't need to soak WBS.
simply place 2 cups of WBS and 1 cup of water into a quart jar and sterilize. Or, if you are using different jars, just do 2:1 ratio WBS:water.

Your jars will come out perfectly cooked, although difficult to shake.

--------------------
Be Here Now

Offlinejillian
Stranger
Re: Quick question on wbs [Re: I_Stain_Blue]
    #2090054 - 11/10/03 04:54 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

ok i just did 4 qt jars today.....by soaking the wbs for 9 hrs then pc'd them...

i will prolly do 4 more jars tomorrow with the method u listed above and c how that goes...

thanks...

InvisibleMrPink
Stranger
    #2091621 - 11/11/03 06:41 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

I used to put 1 cup of birdseed and a 1/2 cup of water in a quart jar and sterilize it for an hour. That method works fine, but recently I started precooking my grain. I've found it to promote quicker mycelium growth due to the even moisture content. I bring my water and grain to a violent boil and then bring the heat down to the lowest setting while keeping it covered. After exactly 13 minutes I rinse the grain and fill quart jars 2/3 full.

Offlineatomic1
enthusiast
Male

Loc: Appalachia
Re: Quick question on wbs [Re: MrPink]
    #2095239 - 11/12/03 12:57 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

13 minutes of total cook time or time from bringing the heat down to the lowest setting or what?

Invisiblemycofile
Pooh-Bah
 User Gallery

Loc: Uranus
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Quick question on wbs [Re: atomic1]
    #2096953 - 11/12/03 11:48 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

The problem with precooking is that everybody's time will varry due to differences in stoves, pots, grains etc.

The problem with just adding seed and water to jars is that they are hard to shake, and moisture content is uneven. If you do this, shaking the jars immediately after the pc looses pressure helps some.

With both methods, endospores are not allowed to hatch, will makes bacterial contamination more likely unless the jars are allowed to sit overnight after adding water/cooking and pre-pcing.

By far the most consistent way to prep is to soak, drain, pc.

--------------------
"From a certain point of view"
-Jedi Master Obi Wan Kenobi

PM me with any cultivation questions.

I just looked at my profile and realized I had a website at one point in time on geocities, it's not there anymore and I have no idea what I had on it. Anybody remember my website from several years aga? PM if so please.

Offlinejillian
Stranger
Re: Quick question on wbs [Re: mycofile]
    #2097647 - 11/12/03 02:20 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

but with soaking..it just doesnt seem like there is enogh water in the wbs....but really i guess it just got to be wet enough for the myc. to grow and to be spawned into a csing, etc....

InvisibleI_Stain_Blue
abominableshroomman

Loc: police state
    #2106029 - 11/14/03 11:29 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

only had two jars contam ever when not soaking birdseed prior to cooking.

--------------------
Be Here Now

Invisiblemycofile
Pooh-Bah
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Quick question on wbs [Re: I_Stain_Blue]
    #2116641 - 11/17/03 01:15 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Well, like all other things, YMMV. Different grains at different times of the year have varrying contaminate loads. Some people follow better sterile procedure etc. Stain, I'd count my blessings if I were you!

Quote:

but with soaking..it just doesnt seem like there is enogh water in the wbs....

The only time I tested it, some WBS was soaked for about 16 hrs. The water used was hot tapwater, but it sat and cooled to about 65 degrees. After rinsing, draining and pcing, the grain came out at 41% water. Now, this is perfect for spawn, or any grain in large containers such as bags or gallon bags. Ideally you want it higher than that if you are fruiting the grain directly or if using smaller jars such as qts, but in experience it works fine. If using a dryish grain (like the 41% referenced above) for fruiting, you may want to pay more attention to rehydrate the grain, by simply watering a little more at casing than you would otherwise, or maybe using a bottom layer of moist casing where you don't usually or however you want to do it. But that's just a nuance, it also works fine just cased as normal.

I think one reason people have trouble with grains is that they want to make it wetter than it needs/should be. Soaking prevents this from happening whether intentional or accidental.

--------------------

I just looked at my profile and realized I had a website at one point in time on geocities, it's not there anymore and I have no idea what I had on it. Anybody remember my website from several years aga? PM if so please.

Offlineschorts
a lot more and alittle less.

Loc: (roughly) portland, OR
    #2118024 - 11/17/03 07:09 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

hmmm...

sounds simmilar to my current issue - I pre soaked white millet for 12 hours (cold/neutral water temp) then drained and spooned into 1/2 pinters... decided to add 3 cc's per jar of water because the moisture seemed way too low... Things seem to be going allright, although a bit on the dry side. oddly enough, some of my jars, wich were all filled evenly, are actually REALLY full, and others are a bit lower than I expected...

anyway, would it be wise to add a cc or two after I get some growth?

(as sterile a procedure as my syringe making, wich works just fine thus far)

Invisiblemycofile
Pooh-Bah
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Quick question on wbs [Re: schorts]
    #2122985 - 11/19/03 02:19 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

I would think that if you are getting growth, your water content is ok. I think it would be much safer to simply let them colonize. If you plan on using the millet as spawn, I wouldn't worry about the moisture content at all. If you plan to fruit it directly, maybe just water it a little more the day or two after casing than you usually would.

I would be very reluctant to open a jar that is colonizing fine for any reason. Now, if your growth goes wispy and wimpy on you, I'd say you do have a problem and would definitely add some water.

--------------------

Offlineenimatpyrt
addict
    #2124606 - 11/20/03 08:28 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

To answer the posters question:

If you soak, you don't need to add water. Soak, simmer 45 minutes, drain / rinse 45 minutes (start the 45 minute "drain" time after you finish rinsing the grains off good).

good luck

--------------------
The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom