Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinecali4088
Master Learner Danielson
Male
Preping property for Chanterelle growing experiment
    #20797073 - 11/05/14 02:52 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

Hello all, My name is David and im new to the mushroom hunting world.  i understand that before i get started picking mushrooms, I need to do an ehausting amount of research so I have all my ducks in a row.  Concerning Chanterelle Mushrooms, I have been picking these for a few months now and can tell the difference between false and true.  I just purchased 17 acres near Yelm, WA and am thinking about preping my property for growing chanterelles.  As I have experienced in the limited time collecting Chanterelles, they grown near conifer trees, The ones I have found were no further that 500 feet from a lake or river.  I tried to find them in several locations that had lots of leaves falling, but found none.  I also have found none deep in the woods, but always near a road, no futher than 20 feet.

Back to my property, I am thinking about creating an area the size 1/4th of an acre, where I will bury cut conifer logs around 1 foot deep, then over that, will cover with lots and lots of pine needless and loose dirt and pieces of chanterelle mushrooms to spore the area.

1. How close would this have to be to living trees or will they grow just off the decaying conifers?

2. Do they need shade?

3. I fish a lot so i was thinking of blending in the dirt and pine needles chopped up salmon carcasses.  Do you suppose this would work?  Would this be too much nitrogen?  My buddies MMJ plants took off like wilfire when we used this approach

4. I heard twisting the Chanterelle was better than cutting with a knife because of the possibility of introducing bacteria to the mushroom base?!?

5.  I also am interested in planting around 100 sequoia redwoods on my property (yes, they grow in WA state).  Has anyone heard of Chanterelles growing near sequoias?

OK , thats all the questions i have for now.  Let me know your opinions.  Ill be sure to share my successes and failures with you as time passes. 

BTW, I just bought the proerty less than 2 months ago and I spotted at least 50 different types of mushrooms, all foreign looking that I cannot pinpoint to any pictures online except the false chanterelles I found. Didnt find any chanterelles on my property, or alteast i havent found any yet.  it was logged 3 years ago so not alot of shade except for the 3 acres on the river, all firs. Also want to point out, I heard its hard to cultivate chanterelles, but that doesnt stop someone like me from trying.  Thanks!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineKosher
Healthy Specimen

Loc: Northeastern US
Re: Preping property for Chanterelle growing experiment [Re: cali4088]
    #20797203 - 11/05/14 03:21 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

:takingnotes:

OfflinetaGyo
Strainiac/AMU
Male User Gallery

Loc: Journal Land Flag
Re: Preping property for Chanterelle growing experiment [Re: Kosher]
    #20800356 - 11/06/14 07:47 AM (9 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Kosher said:
:takingnotes:

--------------------
Gyo's Better Grows
TNF Q&A :rockon:
AMU Q&A

Dominus fortunae meae sum

InvisibleAIRDOG
Male User Gallery

Loc: world's shroom capital
Re: Preping property for Chanterelle growing experiment [Re: taGyo]
    #20800380 - 11/06/14 07:59 AM (9 years, 4 months ago)

you should get into mycorization of tree saplings.... the mushrooms lives in the roots of the tree.... they even sell boletus and truffle inoculated trees in europe

OfflineKosher
Healthy Specimen

Re: Preping property for Chanterelle growing experiment [Re: AIRDOG]
    #20800581 - 11/06/14 09:23 AM (9 years, 4 months ago)

Could OP somehow transplant mycorrhizae from wild growing chanterelles?

OfflineKosher
Healthy Specimen

#20800611 - 11/06/14 09:32 AM (9 years, 4 months ago)

I'm sure that somebody who knows better than me can come and correct me, but I'll take a shot at answering what I can to the best of my ability.

Quote:

1. How close would this have to be to living trees or will they grow just off the decaying conifers?

Chanterelles are mycorrhizal, meaning that they have a symbiotic relationship with living trees. Therefore, no trees = no mushies. I have always found them in leaf litter, surrounded in all directions by living trees.

Quote:

2. Do they need shade?

In my experience, yes. The surrounding trees should offer this.

Quote:

3. I fish a lot so i was thinking of blending in the dirt and pine needles chopped up salmon carcasses.  Do you suppose this would work?  Would this be too much nitrogen?  My buddies MMJ plants took off like wilfire when we used this approach

An interesting idea, but I think there may be better approaches to facilitate mushroom growth. Remember that fungi are not plants.

Quote:

4. I heard twisting the Chanterelle was better than cutting with a knife because of the possibility of introducing bacteria to the mushroom base?!?

Personally, I cut the stems because it makes clean up a lot easier. Twisting gets all the dirt mixed with the mushies in my basket.

Quote:

5.  I also am interested in planting around 100 sequoia redwoods on my property (yes, they grow in WA state).  Has anyone heard of Chanterelles growing near sequoias?

I have no idea. :confused:

Best of luck!

Offlinecali4088
Master Learner Danielson
Male
    #20800758 - 11/06/14 10:21 AM (9 years, 4 months ago)

Thanks everyone who posted.  I just did a little more research and its recommended that the area NOT have high nitrogen, so i guess there goes the Salmon idea. They recommend a soil ph of 4.0 - 5.5  Maybe there are mushrooms that thrive off of high Nitrogen soil?  Research also says that I should choose a tree that that lacks mycorrhizae that the chanetrelle will have to compete with.  How would I notice this? By digging up the dirt or is it visable just by looking at the tree?

Ill be posting pics of the many types of mushrooms I have recently found in the next coming days.  Maybe you shroomers can help me identify some!  Thanks again!

OfflinecronicrFacebook
 User Gallery

Loc: Van Isle Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Preping property for Chanterelle growing experiment (moved) [Re: cali4088]
    #20801059 - 11/06/14 11:55 AM (9 years, 4 months ago)

This thread was moved from Mushroom Cultivation.

Reason:
:thumbup: this is where ya want it

InvisibleAIRDOG
Male User Gallery

Loc: world's shroom capital
    #20801233 - 11/06/14 12:39 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Kosher said:
Could OP somehow transplant mycorrhizae from wild growing chanterelles?

I have heard you can actually plant a young tree sapling free of mycorrhizae directly into a spot where you find the desired mushroom species growing and leave it there for a year or 2... and it will (hopefully) be colonized with the mushroom that was growing there... then you can uproot it and plant where desired

that will make a nice project, i would try it if i had suitable property

Offlinedrake89
Mushroom Magnate
Male User Gallery

Loc: TN
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Preping property for Chanterelle growing experiment [Re: AIRDOG]
    #20801268 - 11/06/14 12:50 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

--------------------
Fiery Fungi (like us on faeboo)

Offlinecali4088
Master Learner Danielson
Male
Re: Preping property for Chanterelle growing experiment [Re: drake89]
    #20866792 - 11/20/14 05:43 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

Anyone know if Chanterelle powder contains spores that are useable?  Chanterelles were baked at 170 degrees, then dehydrated and ground in a coffee grinder.  Its now a fine powder.

OfflinecronicrFacebook
 User Gallery

Loc: Van Isle Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #20866851 - 11/20/14 05:51 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

spores would be dead anyway, too hot:cool:

--------------------

It doesn't matter what i think of you...all that matters is clean spawn

I'm tired do me a favor

Offlinecmspice
Stranger

Re: Preping property for Chanterelle growing experiment [Re: cronicr]
    #20868532 - 11/20/14 11:45 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

how are property prices out in WA? I really want to move out there for the mushies :smile:.

--------------------
have: blue, brown, pink, yellow, elm, king oyster, reishi, nameko, black poplar, shaggy mane, PESA

want: ABM, ganoderma spp., straw mushroom, exotic pleurotus species, ethno cuttings/seeds.

Offlinecali4088
Master Learner Danielson
Male
Re: Preping property for Chanterelle growing experiment [Re: cmspice]
    #20869522 - 11/21/14 09:26 AM (9 years, 4 months ago)

Thanks shhhh... for the clarification...  I suspected that but you know mother nature, it sometimes finds a way.  Do you think the dehydrater was too hot as well?  Would the coffee grinder spare some spores if they were airdried then powdered? 

cmspice, Property Prices Vary all over the place. The closer to the mountains the better price.  I bought near 17 acres for 90,000 with 3 acres river access and 14 acres logged.  I almost bought 20 acres logged for 40,000, no river.  It all depends how far out you wanna live.  Im around 45 mins from Tacoma and 30 Mins from JBLM (Army base).  WA state has Mushrooms, Fish, Crab, Hunting and a hell of a lot more I haven't even messed with!

You could get a tiny lot with a double wide for next to nothing and forage all the free access lands within the area.  Weyerhaeuser logs our here and they allow access to tens of thousands of acres.

Offlinecmspice
Stranger

#20871566 - 11/21/14 05:25 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

cali4088 said:
Thanks shhhh... for the clarification...  I suspected that but you know mother nature, it sometimes finds a way.  Do you think the dehydrater was too hot as well?  Would the coffee grinder spare some spores if they were airdried then powdered? 

cmspice, Property Prices Vary all over the place. The closer to the mountains the better price.  I bought near 17 acres for 90,000 with 3 acres river access and 14 acres logged.  I almost bought 20 acres logged for 40,000, no river.  It all depends how far out you wanna live.  Im around 45 mins from Tacoma and 30 Mins from JBLM (Army base).  WA state has Mushrooms, Fish, Crab, Hunting and a hell of a lot more I haven't even messed with!

You could get a tiny lot with a double wide for next to nothing and forage all the free access lands within the area.  Weyerhaeuser logs our here and they allow access to tens of thousands of acres.

Wow!!!!!! That's wild. Way less than I thought.

--------------------
have: blue, brown, pink, yellow, elm, king oyster, reishi, nameko, black poplar, shaggy mane, PESA

want: ABM, ganoderma spp., straw mushroom, exotic pleurotus species, ethno cuttings/seeds.

OfflineForresterM
aspiring sociopath
Male User Gallery

Loc: Northeast USA Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #20872085 - 11/21/14 07:18 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

cali4088 said:
Weyerhaeuser logs our here and they allow access to tens of thousands of acres.

No shit?!  I used to work for Weyerhaeuser.  Is there a way to find out what land they own and allow access to?

--------------------
Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an eye to heaven, conscious of his fleeting time here.
-------------------

Have some medicinal mushrooms and want to get the most out of them?  Try this double extraction method.

Offlinecali4088
Master Learner Danielson
Male
Re: Preping property for Chanterelle growing experiment [Re: Forrester]
    #20874761 - 11/22/14 01:54 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

Ok so a year access to Weyerhaeuser depending on the area cost around 150-250 bucks.  They are all sold out in permits in my Area near Vail in Western WA, but there are some places that might have some.  Here is the link.  ***Now after looking at the website, there might be free access areas without the need for permit.  If im not mistaken, in my area the permit is only for hunting on their tree farm?!?  So it might not cost anything.

https://www.weyerhaeuserhuntinglands.com/

You can also hit up the national parks. Some require a access pass for recreation but those are fairly cheap.

Edited by cali4088 (11/22/14 02:10 PM)

Offlinecali4088
Master Learner Danielson
Male
Re: Preping property for Chanterelle growing experiment [Re: cmspice]
    #20874843 - 11/22/14 02:12 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

Yea, raw land is fairly cheap because there is no collateral especially after they log it.  It would take decades for the trees to be ready to log again.

OfflinetaGyo
Strainiac/AMU
Male User Gallery

Loc: Journal Land Flag
    #20876795 - 11/22/14 08:47 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

:creepylurker:

I posted here when it just started and I can't believe this thread is kicking off! Dope concept, hope to see it work and if it does I know where I'm moving.

--------------------
Gyo's Better Grows
TNF Q&A :rockon:
AMU Q&A

Dominus fortunae meae sum

Offlinecali4088
Master Learner Danielson
Male

Re: Preping property for Chanterelle growing experiment [Re: taGyo]
    #20885017 - 11/24/14 06:22 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

lol, well its proven they grown out here.  Im sure some spores near evergreens will help support it!

What I noticed on the limited time picking, but picking lbs. and lbs. was that they LOVE to sit in ditches with a LEVEL ground on the side of roads.  Im guessing water sits there more than the slight slopes.  They can grow in grass but not grass over 3 inches  Also, those level areas had semi leafy bushes covering them. allowing limited sunlight.  That was noticeable everywhere.    I made sure I had a spore bag dropping all along where I was walking!  Hopefully there will be lots more next year along the road I walked.  There were lots of some in an area 100 ft along the road , then nothing for 200 Ft.  then another patch here and there.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder