Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineJohn in WI
Neo-Luddite
 User Gallery

Loc: On a hippy trail head ful...
How old can a jar of popcorn still be viable?
    #20769655 - 10/29/14 07:21 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

Hello folks,
Been off the radar for a while, but I'm doing well.  Just very busy with work, graduating....  I'm preparing for a move, and while cleaning out my bathroom closet/former shroom growing area, I came across a quart jar fitted with a mylar filter disk, and about half full of totally inoculated popcorn.

My notes tell me that my last grow was over 7 months ago, and since then this jar has recieved absolutely no care of any kind.  I was going to throw it out, but upon examination I noticed that the mycellium is perfectly, pearly white, but now with thick ropey strands in it.  It appears healthy, and hydrated.  Not a speck of anything other than white.  You can't even see the popcorn anymore as it is totally covered.

I have seen neglected jars go nasty--that weird black/brown slimy stuff, or green fuzz.  This shows no sign (color or odor) of contamination.

I'm curious, is this a viable jar yet?  A buddy of mine wanted to give cultivation a try but didn't have genetic materials, and I gave my spore prints and syringe away already.

In theory, a jar should last a very long time, shouldn't it?  I mean, if it remains contamination free, it should go until it either runs out of food, or runs out of water, shouldn't it?
Thanks for any info.  This one really suprised me.  Glad I found it before the movers arrived! (I feel like a teenager hiding a bong from my mom).

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflinecronicrFacebook
 User Gallery

Loc: Van Isle Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: How old can a jar of popcorn still be viable? [Re: John in WI]
    #20769768 - 10/29/14 08:01 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

if it isn't contaminated the next worry is water, being big old popcorn kernels yes they will last a long time but 7 months is too far to justify, grains are cheap and easy

--------------------

It doesn't matter what i think of you...all that matters is clean spawn

I'm tired do me a favor

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds