Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds Zamnesia
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflinePatlal
You ask too many questions
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ottawa Flag
Benzodiazepine use may raise risk of Alzheimer’s disease - Straight from Harvard people!
    #20723398 - 10/19/14 08:39 AM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Benzos are no longer a "take it get high, stop taking it get back to normal drug". It can have some serious long term effect even after you have stopped using it. Its been added to the inappropriate medication list

Quote:

If you have ever taken Valium, Xanax, or some other benzodiazepine to calm your nerves or sleep better, you may have felt woozy or hungover the next day. Experts have long assumed that people’s heads would clear once they stopped taking the drug. That may not be the case. A study published last night by the journal BMJ suggests that [gradient:#220566,#]benzodiazepine use may promote the development of dementia.[/gradient]

A team of researchers from France and Canada linked benzodiazepine use to an increased risk of being diagnosed with Alzheimer’s disease. In the study, the greater a person’s cumulative dose of benzodiazepines, the higher his or her risk of Alzheimer’s.

The association isn’t surprising given past research on the subject, but it still should be viewed with caution. “Benzodiazepines are risky to use in older people because they can cause confusion and slow down mental processes, ” says Dr. Anne Fabiny, chief of geriatrics at Harvard-affiliated Cambridge Health Alliance. “However, although there is an association, we still can’t say that benzodiazepines actually cause Alzheimer’s,” she cautions.

Dose, duration, and type of drug matter

The researchers relied on a database maintained by the Quebec health insurance program. From it, they identified nearly 2,000 men and women over age 66 who had been diagnosed with Alzheimer’s disease. They randomly selected more than 7,000 others without Alzheimer’s who were matched for age and sex to those with the disease. Once the groups were set, the researchers looked at the drug prescriptions during the five to six years preceding the Alzheimer’s diagnosis.

Benzodiazepines approved for use in the United States:

alprazolam (Xanax)
chlordiazepoxide (Librium)
clonazepam (Klonopin)
clorazepate (Tranxene)
diazepam (Valium)
estazolam (Prosom)
flurazepam (Dalmane)
lorazepam (Ativan)
oxazepam (Serax)
temazepam (Restoril)
triazolam (Halcion)
quazepam (Doral)

People who had taken a benzodiazepine for three months or less had about the same dementia risk as those who had never taken one. Taking the drug for three to six months raised the risk of developing Alzheimer’s by 32%, and taking it for more than six months boosted the risk by 84%.

The type of drug taken also mattered. People who were on a long-acting benzodiazepine like diazepam (Valium) and flurazepam (Dalmane) were at greater risk than those on a short-acting one like triazolam (Halcion), lorazepam (Ativan), alprazolam (Xanax), and temazepam (Restoril).

The researchers acknowledge that the use of benzodiazepines could be just a signal that people are trying to cope with anxiety and sleep disruption—two common symptoms of early Alzheimer’s disease. If that’s true, their use of a benzodiazepine may not be a factor in causing dementia but an indication it is already in progress.

Other reasons to avoid benzodiazepines

Even if that’s so, there are other reasons for older people to avoid benzodiazepines. In 2012, the American Geriatrics Society [gradient:#2A0482,#]added benzodiazepines to their list of inappropriate medications[/gradient] for treating insomnia, agitation, or delirium. That decision was made primarily because common side-effects of benzodiazepines—confusion and clouded thinking—often have disastrous consequences, including falls, fractures, and auto accidents.

Even short-acting benzodiazepines pack a bigger punch in older people. As the body’s metabolism slows with age, drugs take longer to clear. And because benzodiazepines are stored in body fat, they can continue to produce effects days after people stop taking them.

Although these medications are taken to help people get a good night’s rest, they can have the opposite effect. “When they’re taken over time, they can actually interfere with normal sleep,” says Dr. Fabiny. The quest to sleep through the night can lead to prescriptions for higher doses or longer-lasting benzodiazepines—and even greater side effects.

If you are a caregiver for an older person, you may want to check their medications against the American Geriatrics Society’s list. If you find a benzodiazepine in the medicine chest, you might want to discuss it with him or her, or with a doctor.

If you take a benzodiazepine, keep in mind that these drugs are designed for short-term use. If you’ve been using them regularly for more than a few weeks, know that withdrawal symptoms can be powerful, as described yesterday in the Boston Globe. Consider talking to your doctor about alternatives.

There’s currently no cure or treatment for Alzheimer’s disease. That makes prevention all the more important. Limiting the use of a benzodiazepine for anxiety or sleep troubles may be one small step toward prevention.

--------------------

Edited by Patlal (10/19/14 08:42 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleOhMrJohnson
Modern Day Alchemist

Loc: Terra Incognita Flag
Re: Benzodiazepine use may raise risk of Alzheimer’s disease - Straight from Harvard people! [Re: Patlal] * 1
    #20723428 - 10/19/14 08:49 AM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Good thing I don't give a rat's ass about benzos

--------------------

Diminish the sub-principle and leave its toxic trace..
Once and for all!

InvisibleLegend
RIP Sasha
Male

Loc: TX Flag
Re: Benzodiazepine use may raise risk of Alzheimer’s disease - Straight from Harvard people! [Re: OhMrJohnson]
    #20723442 - 10/19/14 08:53 AM (9 years, 5 months ago)

This thread makes me want a resotril, god temazepam is the shit. Do they provide any proof? Or
just test rats. I've had major short term memory loss from benzo's before, and maybe they do cause
Alzheimer's risk to increase, but i highly doubt it IMO.

--------------------
No sympathy for the devil, keep that in mind.
[url=
]Buy the ticket, take the ride. [/url]
Are you lost?

InvisibleOhMrJohnson
Modern Day Alchemist

Re: Benzodiazepine use may raise risk of Alzheimer’s disease - Straight from Harvard people! [Re: Legend]
    #20723450 - 10/19/14 08:56 AM (9 years, 5 months ago)

The only time I ever took Xanax I passed out cold within the hour woke up the next morning and didn't remember jack shit

I was so confused

--------------------

Once and for all!

OfflinePsyDragon
journeyman

Loc: state of perpetual transi...
Re: Benzodiazepine use may raise risk of Alzheimer’s disease - Straight from Harvard people! [Re: Legend]
    #20723459 - 10/19/14 08:57 AM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Never started using them, now I never will. To be honest, I've had some pretty epic acid doses without them and been just fine with cannabis. :smile:

InvisibleLegend
RIP Sasha
Male

Re: Benzodiazepine use may raise risk of Alzheimer’s disease - Straight from Harvard people! [Re: OhMrJohnson]
    #20723463 - 10/19/14 08:58 AM (9 years, 5 months ago)

eating an entire xanax your only time.... that's like taking a dab the first time you smoke weed.

--------------------
[url=
Are you lost?

InvisibleLegend
RIP Sasha
Male

Re: Benzodiazepine use may raise risk of Alzheimer’s disease - Straight from Harvard people! [Re: PsyDragon]
    #20723466 - 10/19/14 08:59 AM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

PsyDragon said:
Never started using them, now I never will. To be honest, I've had some pretty epic acid doses without them and been just fine with cannabis. :smile:

I wish everyone thought like this. Benzo's are addictive.

i do say they are useful, but only when absolutely needed.

--------------------
[url=
Are you lost?

Offlinesanchothestoner
Satan's Grandson
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: Bucketheadland
Re: Benzodiazepine use may raise risk of Alzheimer’s disease - Straight from Harvard people! [Re: PsyDragon]
    #20723468 - 10/19/14 09:00 AM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Benzos are fucking terrible for you, I don't doubt it causes Alzheimer's.  If you've ever talked to someone who abuses xanax, you can tell they're a bit off.  Benzos are really fucking bad for your brain and body, especially if you get addicted.

--------------------
I fucking hate you... God damn, I love you...
But we both know if we stick together, we'll just tear ourselves apart
You are my sunshine, my only sunshine, you make me happy, when skies are grey
You are my heroin, but there's an abscess... God damn, I miss the vein!

InvisibleOhMrJohnson
Modern Day Alchemist

#20723471 - 10/19/14 09:01 AM (9 years, 5 months ago)

It was only like 2mg I think I had assumed that to be a standard dose

--------------------

Once and for all!

InvisibleLegend
RIP Sasha
Male

Re: Benzodiazepine use may raise risk of Alzheimer’s disease - Straight from Harvard people! [Re: sanchothestoner]
    #20723475 - 10/19/14 09:04 AM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

sanchothestoner said: Benzos are really fucking bad for your brain and body

You wanna back that up with some evidence? Benzo's are relatively safe. Unless abused.
This isn't a 'use in moderation' thing, seriously only use if you need them. Which should
be to kill someones bad trip cause they want to kill you, or in the hospital. To sleep after
you get your heart broken and just can't manage the anxiety. It's not something you use
every once in a while. Not because they are bad on the body, but because they they are
addicting, tolerance rises quick, and w/d could kill you with seizures.

--------------------
[url=
Are you lost?

OfflinePatlal
You ask too many questions
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ottawa Flag
    #20723480 - 10/19/14 09:05 AM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Legend said:
Do they provide any proof? Or just test rats. .

The researchers relied on a database maintained by the Quebec health insurance program. From it, they identified nearly 2,000 men and women over age 66 who had been diagnosed with Alzheimer’s disease. They randomly selected more than 7,000 others without Alzheimer’s who were matched for age and sex to those with the disease. Once the groups were set, the researchers looked at the drug prescriptions during the five to six years preceding the Alzheimer’s diagnosis.

--------------------

InvisibleLegend
RIP Sasha
Male

Re: Benzodiazepine use may raise risk of Alzheimer’s disease - Straight from Harvard people! [Re: Patlal]
    #20723487 - 10/19/14 09:07 AM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Patlal said:
Quote:

Legend said:
Do they provide any proof? Or just test rats. .

I dont think that justifies this claim though. It needs more testing for sure. I guess the title does say
"may raise risk" not "holy fuck benzos gonna make you crazy" thanks for the reply dude.

--------------------
[url=
Are you lost?

Invisibleshadyy
aHhahhHA
 User Gallery

Loc: winchestertonfieldville i...
Re: Benzodiazepine use may raise risk of Alzheimer’s disease - Straight from Harvard people! [Re: Legend] * 1
    #20723501 - 10/19/14 09:14 AM (9 years, 5 months ago)

that's the thing with these..people don't read the article or analyze the information

they don't think critically

I guarantee you there will now be people going around saying "benzos cause alzheimer's"

--------------------

ga ga ga eets eets how you gone be mad on vacation?
MONICA COULDN'T TELL TIME UNTIL SHE WAS 13

Offlinesanchothestoner
Satan's Grandson
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: Bucketheadland
    #20723503 - 10/19/14 09:14 AM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Legend said:
Quote:

You wanna back that up with some evidence? Benzo's are relatively safe. Unless abused.
This isn't a 'use in moderation' thing, seriously only use if you need them. Which should
be to kill someones bad trip cause they want to kill you, or in the hospital. To sleep after
you get your heart broken and just can't manage the anxiety. It's not something you use
every once in a while. Not because they are bad on the body, but because they they are

I know a good bit of people who abused benzos and totally agree with me that it fucks up your brain and body.  With moderate use, it's fine, but if you abuse them you'll have some pretty nasty after effects for a while.  Drinking after benzo addiction is SO fucked.  You feel like you get shot back into bezno withdrawal and it lasts for a few days.  Most benzo addicts experience withdrawal symptoms for like 6 months.  It took me a good fucking while to return to normal after benzo abuse.  Also, there is quite a bit of evidence out there that shows how bad beznos caqn be for you....

You're right that in moderate use it won't be anything bad, but start fucking around with them too much and they'll fuck you right back.

--------------------
I fucking hate you... God damn, I love you...
But we both know if we stick together, we'll just tear ourselves apart
You are my sunshine, my only sunshine, you make me happy, when skies are grey
You are my heroin, but there's an abscess... God damn, I miss the vein!

InvisibleLegend
RIP Sasha
Male

Re: Benzodiazepine use may raise risk of Alzheimer’s disease - Straight from Harvard people! [Re: sanchothestoner]
    #20723516 - 10/19/14 09:18 AM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

sanchothestoner said:
Quote:

Legend said:
Quote:

I know a good bit of people who abused benzos and totally agree with me that it fucks up your brain and body.  With moderate use, it's fine, but if you abuse them you'll have some pretty nasty after effects for a while.  Drinking after benzo addiction is SO fucked.  You feel like you get shot back into bezno withdrawal and it lasts for a few days.  Most benzo addicts experience withdrawal symptoms for like 6 months.  It took me a good fucking while to return to normal after benzo abuse.  Also, there is quite a bit of evidence out there that shows how bad beznos caqn be for you....

You're right that in moderate use it won't be anything bad, but start fucking around with them too much and they'll fuck you right back.

trust me i know some bartards as well. And when their connect went down, they had seizures within the
first week. Also i'd like to see something other than the OP saying it's bad for you physically. There is a
reason they replaced ludes, and barbs with benzo's. They are safer. you wont OD on them unless you
mix with alcohol (too much) or opiates, (too much). I dont think they shuold be used as a high, but they
are good for certain things. This coming from someone who never thought they'd have a problem with
them.

--------------------
[url=
Are you lost?

OfflinePsyDragon
journeyman

Loc: state of perpetual transi...
Re: Benzodiazepine use may raise risk of Alzheimer’s disease - Straight from Harvard people! [Re: shadyy]
    #20723545 - 10/19/14 09:28 AM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

shadyy said:
that's the thing with these..people don't read the article or analyze the information

they don't think critically

I guarantee you there will now be people going around saying "benzos cause alzheimer's"

Here's the thing-- my choice isn't so much a function of thinking, "well, shit, that's it. If I try x, I'll get alzheimer's disease." Some people might think that linearly, but you need to accept as valid others' strategies for how they manage accumulative risk, real or perceived. We don't need a nice bow-tied scientific concensus to know some things are bad, and we also know there are lots of perverse motivations that can prevent such research from happening when a line of profit is at stake... I will not place my faith in such a system. It's a personal choice, sure, but if there are alternatives that are less controversial, why not consider them at least? As for me, I don't believe benzos are 'healthy' until declared otherwise. I believe they are what they are, and monkeys are slowly figuring out what that is.

Offlinenicechrisman
Interdimensional space wizard
Male User Gallery

#20723621 - 10/19/14 09:54 AM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

OhMrJohnson said:
Good thing I don't give a rat's ass about benzos

Yeah me too. A nice tool to have in your psychedelic emergency kit, but I don't really find them very recreational.

--------------------
"Cosmic Love is absolutelely ruthless and highly indifferent:
it teaches its lessons whether you like/dislike them or not."

John C. Lily

InvisibleCyclohexylamine
Turn on, Tune in, Drop out
 User Gallery

#20723631 - 10/19/14 09:56 AM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Legend said:
Quote:

Indeed.
Benzos have been shown to cause cognitive impairment while using and short-term memory impairment but that is not the same as being "really fucking bad for your brain and body".

Quote:

sanchothestoner said:

You are confusing something - the horrible withdrawals are not because of brain damage or anything like that. The reason they occur is because that is what happens when your brain gets overexcited. Your brain gets used to the calming constant flow of GABA from the benzos. And when that suddenly stops the brain is in GABA deficit, causing it to become overexcited. Which in turn causes jitters, anxiety, seizures, etc.

Note: While benzos are fairly safe, from a psychological aspect they must be treated with care, as abusing GABAergic drugs will lead to horrible consequences.

--------------------
Yes this is tymo - I just changed my name

Have you ever had a dream that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to awake from that dream? How would you know the difference between that dream world and the real world?

There is NOTHING better than feeling that warm dissociative fuzz creeping up your body from IM K
Something abut that anaesthetic rush... :inlove:

Qualitative Research Chemical Effects and Experiences
The Wonderful World of Methoxetamine
The 3-Meo-PCP Chapters, Part One

Invisibleshadyy
aHhahhHA
 User Gallery

Loc: winchestertonfieldville i...
    #20723700 - 10/19/14 10:11 AM (9 years, 5 months ago)

I'm not saying you shouldn't do what you feel is best or find other, natural ways to deal with issues that benzodiazepines are typically prescribed for.
completely behind the natural ways of dealing with things..I believe many internal "problems" can be "treated" through diet, exercise, behavior therapy, etc.

I'm just saying that people really shouldn't get ahead of themselves.

It's no secret that they're addictive and should only be used short-term.

But to read this article and be persuaded to the point where you say "I will never take a benzo now," seems a little..premature?

I just think you're jumping the gun a bit.

the article even states that they suspect that it may have an impact on those that take it over a long period of time, and that those who used it short-term showed no increased "risk"

--------------------

ga ga ga eets eets how you gone be mad on vacation?
MONICA COULDN'T TELL TIME UNTIL SHE WAS 13

Edited by shadyy (10/19/14 11:04 AM)

Invisible404
error
 User Gallery

Re: Benzodiazepine use may raise risk of Alzheimer’s disease - Straight from Harvard people! [Re: Patlal]
    #20723896 - 10/19/14 11:07 AM (9 years, 5 months ago)

i posted an article over a month back from other sources that showed this. i don't think they had a 100% causal link, only correlation.

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/20548300

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds