Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleTerrapinSunrise
Stranger
Loc: KY
black-ish caps on matured fruits
    #2068319 - 11/03/03 03:51 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

hey fellas,

so my friend was reading the "black caps" post in the "general" section of the forum and became curious about something. he just harvested a flush of koh samui and dried them. after drying, he noticed that some of the mature fruits have incredibly dark caps - they seriously look black, while others are the usual light caramel color.

i was really high last night i was getting paranoid about these "black" caps being on mature mushrooms (they look like the color of aborts but they are NOT aborts because the veil has torn and they matured fully) because it sounds like this is rather unusual. does anyone have any thoughts on this? has anyone also experienced such phenomena? my main concern is if they are safe to eat - i'm paranoid that something like contams are responsible just because i've never seen black caps on mature fruits before (there are no signs of contams on the fruits or the cake itself - it flushed just fine too). obviously they are not rotten - they were dried quickly using dessicant. i'm hoping it is just some sort of EXTREME bluing reaction in koh samui, but then why are some of the fruits caramel and some black?? anybody have any input to ease my mind as to whether they are safe to eat? THANKS a lot. peace, everyone.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblepsilomonkey
Twisted brainwrong of a oneoff man mental

Loc: Airstrip One
Re: black-ish caps on matured fruits [Re: TerrapinSunrise]
    #2068352 - 11/03/03 04:07 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Its probably spores. The can be a lot of droppage in the drying box, were they stacked up or flat? Aborts themselves are not bad, but once a mushroom has aborted it is vulnerable to contams, if they are black and slimey when picked chuck em, if they look clean they are perfectly good to eat. Since you say they were dried quickly i very much doubt they went rotten, my money is on spore droppage, harmless.

InvisibleTerrapinSunrise
Stranger
Re: black-ish caps on matured fruits [Re: psilomonkey]
    #2068570 - 11/03/03 06:24 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

well let's consider spore droppage. wouldn't the spores come off by blowing on the caps or rubbing them or something? it's only the caps that are black - so if it was due to spores why didn't the spores fall on the stems at all (they were stacked messily in a tiny dessicant chamber for 2 days). when they were picked, my friend noticed that they were very much like any ordinary cubensis - they were not slimy or gross in any way. some of the mature fruits' caps were light (while still on the cake) while some were a brownish/reddish/darkish color. after drying, though, the darker ones' caps turned a midnight blackish color.

i'm just ridiculously afraid of dosing shrooms and dying because of some contaminant that i couldn't notice. it is just a fear, as i have never once had any contaminated cakes or contaminated mature fruits.
but, is it possible for a cake to be "secretely" contaminated and somehow pass this contamination into the bodies of the picked fruit without showing any signs? this is my concern and it stems from not knowing much about contams. nonetheless i am baffled by these black caps - i don't see how anything is different in this grow, aside from the strain (these are koh samui).

if anyone has more thoughts, please help me figure this out.

peace.

Invisiblesoochi
Chef
 User Gallery

Loc: The Richest County
    #2068586 - 11/03/03 06:33 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

I think psilomonkey already hit the nail on the head with this one. Definitely sounds like spores, If they aren't rotten or otherwise contamed then they should be good. Try rubbing the spores off a fresh cap, if it does rub off then it is spores, they're a little tricky to remove completely once they have dried. Btw, if your caps are that loaded with spores, I suggest picking them earlier, this will be to your benefit.

I cannot reply to this message, sorry. :grin:

--------------------
Wee, sleeket, cowran, tim'rous beastie,
O, what panic's in thy breastie!
Thou need na start awa sae hasty,
Wi' bickering brattle!

Offlineshirley knott
not my real name
 User Gallery
Loc: London Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #2068588 - 11/03/03 06:33 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

if it rubs off, it's spores. give it a try. if it was bruising, it'd be pretty wierd for the stems to be unaffected i think.

while you were high, you didn't have a black marker pen did you?

i'd probably eat em, but if you have a pic, that would be nice. spores:

look at the top of the one on the right.  :rolleyes: 

--------------------
buh

InvisibleTerrapinSunrise
Stranger
Re: black-ish caps on matured fruits [Re: shirley knott]
    #2069263 - 11/04/03 12:21 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

i was just doing searches on "black caps" and i found one post that said something about cobweb mold causing caps to turn black. is cobweb mold invisible or something, because i don't see any anywhere? and don't contams like cobweb mold smell really bad? if i don't smell anything bad or see any contam at all, then it couldnt be cobweb mold causing these black caps (?)

i'm so fucking confused. peace.

OfflineMcSmeekle
Stranger
    #2069587 - 11/04/03 06:25 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Dude I honestly wouldn't worry about it, especially since theres no odd smell, and it just happened to some of them, and not like an infection that would take over all ... I had some caps too that where very dark on the top and spread down the cap, slowly getting lighter..  all shrooms arent the same , im sure its just some little fluke in the genome or something... chill out and enjoy the fruits. :wink:

OfflineOmegaRed
Myco-Floydianenthusiast

Loc: right behind you
    #2069893 - 11/04/03 09:23 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Don't worry about the black caps. I have no idea what it is but I have eaten several shrooms with black caps with no bad effects. Also if you've ever bought or know someone who has bought mushrooms off the street take a look at the bag. Normally at least half of the caps are black. I think it's just something that happens with aging and or drying.

--------------------
Hey Mr. Tamborine Man play a song for me,
I'm not sleepy and there's no place I'm going to.
Hey Mr. Tamborine Man play a song for me,
In the jingle jangle morning I'll come following you.

InvisibleTerrapinSunrise
Stranger
Re: black-ish caps on matured fruits [Re: OmegaRed]
    #2070131 - 11/04/03 03:04 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

hey, thanks a lot guys; the last two posts have helped ease my mind. i was just so boggled by the fact that i've never seen such a thing happen before. i've never bought them off the street so i normally only see "homegrown" ones that are fresh or recently dried.

i wonder if koh samui in particular is just weird. my friend's cake has a few more sprouting from it and one of the maturing shrooms' cap is darkening. koh samuis are so odd though - they are all twisted and fat as fuck. get this - these little funguys are pinning directly off of existing pins!! no joke - i've never ever seen pins growing off of other pins (aborting pins)- it's fucking ridiculous.

oh well. thanks again. i'm going to stop worrying and start tripping (probably gonna save them for the new years umphrey mcgee show in chicago!). peace.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder