Home | Community | Message Board

NorthSpore.com BOOMR Bag!
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleAdden
I'm a teapot
Loc: Flag
Shroomery, need advice on Oregon so wife and I can settle down
    #20645771 - 10/01/14 07:29 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Hey folks.

Wife and I are looking to move to the Ashland area of Oregon or maybe even surrounding areas.

We both need medical marijuana. Ashland Alternative Health looks promising and has a lot of information. Looks like we won't have any problems procuring it and getting our cards so this is good. If anyone uses them or has "reviews" or any suggestions please let me know. Google is dandy and all but I've found over the years that shroomerites tend to be more honest. First hand accounts from you guys and girls mean a lot to me.

I've gotta go back to school and get my teaching certification for Oregon so we are a bit torn. Southern Oregon University is likely where I will end up for my teaching cert.

We are moving to get mmj for wife's fibro myalgia and my busted back. We aren't just moving there for the weed though, we have family around there and the PNW was where we were going to move to after our wedding but ended up in Minnesota which turned out to be a 5 year mistake.

Hoping not to live in a college town unless necessary. Ashland and the OSU thing though..

Also finding an area with cable service providers (Ashland has a nice fiber optic network in case I have to fall back on my trade). I read some areas are Comcast, and thankfully dish is everywhere because I can just do that even though it's easy/boring. I'd like to not have to do manual labor anymore. I'm thinking long term health now that another birthday is approaching.  I'd like to be 50 and not on fentanyl and hydromorphone.

Hell, I went to school for a BA in lit, an MA in social discourse in comparative literature and an MA in English with a focus on Renaissance and World Lit. I'd like to hope maybe even getting my foot in the door as a professor and go for my Ph.D.

Are these areas any good? Has anyone been there or does anyone live around them?

How are the police on mmj, how receptive of medical are people, how are the school systems? Public and private education as well as higher education. Surely some of you attend college out there.

I've been torn between leaving work and using this settlement money to make it through the winter, but after something that happened at work I'm just leaving. I need my health. I love my job and make good money but I'm so tired of excruciating pain.

Eugene would just be a giant mistake unless I can get a professorship there?

We will be spending two weeks each in our top two picks.

Tl; dr

Need mmj, need a teaching certification to put my education to use, and would like to not live in hipster central. Can deal with it if necessary.  Wild magic mushrooms a bonus but not required. Limited snowfall preferred.

How are Bend and Sherwood?

What counties suck for medical mj?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleCalifornia
A E S T H E T I C S A T A N
 User Gallery

Loc: H A U N T E D H O U S E Flag
Re: Shroomery, need advice on Oregon so wife and I can settle down [Re: Adden] * 2
    #20645860 - 10/01/14 07:51 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Bend is nice and has a completely different vibe than Ashland.  There are more hippies in Ashland and more yuppies in Bend.  Both get a bit of snow(Ashland is near Mount Ashland).

The local media says that pretty much anyone that has anything to do with college in Eugene is getting raped. 

Many people are receptive to medical(radio ads, television commercials for head shops) and there is a measure to legalize marijuana here. 
http://ballotpedia.org/Oregon_Legalized_Marijuana_Initiative,_Measure_91_(2014)

InvisibleAdden
I'm a teapot
Re: Shroomery, need advice on Oregon so wife and I can settle down [Re: California]
    #20646142 - 10/01/14 08:46 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Eugene seemed to be on a downward trend when we were looking from 2005 to 2010.

Bend has career opportunities for me; teaching, reporting and commercial/residential wiring. I'd love to be a reporter again and the schools seem promising but we don't have that kind of money.

How's Ashland on a deeper level? From what I've read it's somewhere inbetween.

I'd really hate to move and only find myself doing there what I'm doing here. I absolutely loved educating high school AP students and college freshmen. Reporting was fun but six years of it was PR for a university and two years in small town Minn.

InvisibleDieCommie

Re: Shroomery, need advice on Oregon so wife and I can settle down [Re: Adden]
    #20646160 - 10/01/14 08:51 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Bend has terrible unemployment and a surplus of teachers from what I know.  In fact, the whole state is that way to a lesser extent.  I knew many people in Eugene desperate for teaching work of any kind for many years.  Teachers are a dime a dozen here and the schools keep pumping out more prospective teachers.  I would absolutely not suggest moving here unless you have a job secured ahead of time.  I love it in Oregon for the weather and natural beauty.  The economy and employment situation is the pits.  It might be getting better...  But certainly try to get work before moving.

InvisibleAdden
I'm a teapot
Re: Shroomery, need advice on Oregon so wife and I can settle down [Re: DieCommie]
    #20646187 - 10/01/14 08:56 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

That really sucks on teaching. I'd like my student loan period cut to ten years and live with the horrible wage.

Recreational weed troubles me as well. If it mucks up, the medical end could get put in jeopardy. It is the only answer for both of us in debilitating and worsening pain.

InvisibleDieCommie

#20646497 - 10/01/14 09:50 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

"Horrible wage" is a relative term... An average pair of entry level teachers in Oregon will make more than the average American household.

InvisibleAdden
I'm a teapot
Re: Shroomery, need advice on Oregon so wife and I can settle down [Re: DieCommie]
    #20646563 - 10/01/14 10:03 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

That's encouraging. One of my concerns is having two MA's and ending up being the kid with a GED applying at Walmart and being overqualified. Back in CT, some of my graduating class ended up waiting years before delivering their final thesis just so they'd land work before walking in the door with credentials that granted them much more starting pay.

InvisibleDieCommie

#20646580 - 10/01/14 10:09 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

I know many grads that have to work minimum wage jobs.  I had to do it too.  Thats just how it is, jobs are hard to find.  Everybody wants a lot of money and a lot of resources and there isnt enough for everybody.

InvisibleAdden
I'm a teapot
    #20646583 - 10/01/14 10:09 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Starting my career over again in my 30s. Great. Thanks, 2009. Hell if I wasn't broken I'd stick with this trade at this point.

InvisibleDieCommie

Re: Shroomery, need advice on Oregon so wife and I can settle down [Re: Adden] * 2
    #20646610 - 10/01/14 10:15 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

I never even had a career until my 30s... :shrug:

Most people's life doesn't go as they plan.  You need to be able to adapt and have resilience.  People start over in careers and lifestyles all the time, its normal.

InvisibleAdden
I'm a teapot
    #20646820 - 10/01/14 11:07 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

It's frustrating but it has been rewarding. I've learned a lot of things and life experience. Have done a lot more things i never thought i would and actually grew up. As tiresome and crummy the last few years have been, it's really granted me a lot of humility, discipline,  wisdom and work ethic. I was a completely different person just a few years ago. Thank you for the reminder of perspective, I needed that.

InvisibleDieCommie

#20646881 - 10/01/14 11:26 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Yea, I have to do the same to myself regularly.  Im on the 25 years of payments student loan forgiveness plan too.  I was washing dishes and serving food after getting multiple degrees and publishing.  Now I finally do have a full time job and its great.  But I work 60 hours a week, drive a car that cost me 3k eight years ago and will be a perpetual renter.  Then again, I've never gone a day without eating and I havent had to sleep outside in over 10 years.  Trying to live the first world life is tough in its own way.  You have to fight, scrape and claw to get from the top 8 percent of humanity to the top 4 percent of humanity.

OfflineShroomin Capote
Prog Head
Male

Loc: Aural Plane
Re: Shroomery, need advice on Oregon so wife and I can settle down [Re: Adden] * 1
    #20647058 - 10/02/14 12:33 AM (9 years, 5 months ago)

I think you'll like WA.  LEGAL BUD AND.............

________Washington:________
•Pholiotina cyanopus***       
•Pholiotina smithii***       
•Gymnopilus aeruginosus**       
•Gymnopilus braendlei***       
•Gymnopilus junonius*       
•Gymnopilus luteofolius*
•Gymnopilus viridans*** 
•Gymnopilus liquiritiae***
•Panaeolus bispora**       
•Panaeolus cinctulus*       
•Panaeolus fimicola***       
•Panaeolus olivaceus**       
•Pluteus brunneidiscus***
•Pluteus salicinus***       
•Psilocybe azurescens*     
•Psilocybe baeocystis**       
•Psilocybe cyanescens*       
•Psilocybe cyanofibrillosa***
•Psilocybe allenii (south)**       
•Psilocybe fimetaria***       
•Psilocybe liniformans var. americana***       
•Psilocybe ovoideocystidiata**       
•Psilocybe pelliculosa*   
•Psilocybe semiinconspicua***       
•Psilocybe semilanceata*       
•Psilocybe silvatica**       
•Psilocybe strictipes**       
•Psilocybe stuntzii*
•Psilocybe washingtonensis***

and if you like hiking/biking/nature WA is a good place

--------------------
:leaf::leaf:

OfflineTheGreenArrow
Goodbye, Mr. Chops.
Male User Gallery

Re: Shroomery, need advice on Oregon so wife and I can settle down [Re: Shroomin Capote]
    #20647064 - 10/02/14 12:35 AM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Buncha pussies in Oregon.  Seriously watched a guy piss on a womans cigarette and hand it back to her.  She took a hit and the "man" of the relationship (instead of kicking ol' boy's dirty ass) just left the bar. :rofl:

Pussies.

--------------------
A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an
invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, conn a ship, write a
sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the
dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve an
equation, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a
computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects.- Robert A. Heinlein
Saint RedBow of the Shroomey Loomey-Patron Saint of Sandbaggin Sumbitchs

Edited by TheGreenArrow (10/02/14 12:36 AM)

OfflineEnjoywho
Rags to Bitches
Male User Gallery

Re: Shroomery, need advice on Oregon so wife and I can settle down [Re: TheGreenArrow]
    #20647072 - 10/02/14 12:40 AM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Hmm I dunno much about Oregon. Drove through it when I was younger. I remember it being nice.

I'm from alaska I've been living in washington for over a year. Very cool place.

--------------------
"I don't give nothin' to nobody, I just pay the cost to do business." - Riley "Young Reezy"-Boondocks

"The road to hell is paved with good intentions."

"In the days of kings and queens I was a jester."

"And then the great lord created bears... too many bears... shoulda really dialed back on the bears." Squidbillies

"Can you start speaking words instead of your damn filthy lies!"- Louise "Bobs Burgers"

OfflineEnjoywho
Rags to Bitches
Male User Gallery

Re: Shroomery, need advice on Oregon so wife and I can settle down [Re: Shroomin Capote]
    #20647079 - 10/02/14 12:43 AM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Shroomin Capote said:
I think you'll like WA.  LEGAL BUD AND.............

________Washington:________
•Pholiotina cyanopus***       
•Pholiotina smithii***       
•Gymnopilus aeruginosus**       
•Gymnopilus braendlei***       
•Gymnopilus junonius*       
•Gymnopilus luteofolius*
•Gymnopilus viridans*** 
•Gymnopilus liquiritiae***
•Panaeolus bispora**       
•Panaeolus cinctulus*       
•Panaeolus fimicola***       
•Panaeolus olivaceus**       
•Pluteus brunneidiscus***
•Pluteus salicinus***       
•Psilocybe azurescens*     
•Psilocybe baeocystis**       
•Psilocybe cyanescens*       
•Psilocybe cyanofibrillosa***
•Psilocybe allenii (south)**       
•Psilocybe fimetaria***       
•Psilocybe liniformans var. americana***       
•Psilocybe ovoideocystidiata**       
•Psilocybe pelliculosa*   
•Psilocybe semiinconspicua***       
•Psilocybe semilanceata*       
•Psilocybe silvatica**       
•Psilocybe strictipes**       
•Psilocybe stuntzii*
•Psilocybe washingtonensis***

and if you like hiking/biking/nature WA is a good place

I pick Chantrelles on the side. Easy Way to make 60+ bucks in a 4hour day. just chillin in the woods listening to music. Very fun.

--------------------
"I don't give nothin' to nobody, I just pay the cost to do business." - Riley "Young Reezy"-Boondocks

"And then the great lord created bears... too many bears... shoulda really dialed back on the bears." Squidbillies

"Can you start speaking words instead of your damn filthy lies!"- Louise "Bobs Burgers"

OfflineRewindicus
Silly Goose
Male User Gallery

Re: Shroomery, need advice on Oregon so wife and I can settle down [Re: Enjoywho]
    #20648965 - 10/02/14 02:21 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

I'm actually planning on moving to Oregon in the spring myself. We're thinking beaverton.

--------------------
“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.”- Dr. Seuss

"Too much of a good thing, can be wonderful!" - Mae West

"If you have nothing nice to say about anyone, come sit next to me."
- Alice Roosevelt Longworth

InvisibleAdden
I'm a teapot
Re: Shroomery, need advice on Oregon so wife and I can settle down [Re: Rewindicus]
    #20649042 - 10/02/14 02:38 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

I'll have to check Beaverton out when I get home.

Most importantly in this endeavor - which places are the "avoid the whole tricounty area at all costs"?

And anyone attending OSU?

OfflineEnjoywho
Rags to Bitches
Male User Gallery

#20649116 - 10/02/14 02:54 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Is that where all the pussy at?

--------------------

InvisibleGilgamesh18
Herbivore Man

Re: Shroomery, need advice on Oregon so wife and I can settle down [Re: Enjoywho]
    #20649158 - 10/02/14 03:02 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Colorado is better than Oregon cheaper in most cities and has a top notch education system. Not to mention there are far more jobs in Colorado than Oregon due to business friendly policys.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies