Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineAndrewjeddore
Drifter
Male

Newfoundland Noob PF TEK "Help"
    #20605529 - 09/23/14 10:46 AM (9 years, 6 months ago)

I Have became very interested in mushies and being able to cultivate them in my own home. Being from a very small and isolated community has left me wanting more of a drug experience so after browsing a lot of articles and watching a lot of videos on this subject i decided to post a couple of questions and ask for advice given my situation i will describe. Im also sorry if i didn't post this right or did any NOOB mistakes on this website its my first post as well but anyway wheres the situation...... well after following posts like http://www.fungifun.org/English/Pftek as an example i ordered of "Non Sponsor" i got the most highest reviewed strain on the website for safe measure ( the Alacabenzi Strain) i made the glove box and prep the area and cleaned very well using may ways to unsure the everything i used was sanitized first i mixed the VERM(fine) then Distilled water then added BRF at the ratio given on the website. First question was re-guarding the brown rice flour i had to buy organic whole brown rice and started grinding it with a coffee grinder i got 50% down to a flour like substance but then it broke and i had to use a food processor and it only grounded it "semi fine" the remaining 50% that is and i added it all together with the normal ratio but i was wondering does it matter and if so would it effect my substrate but as i said at lease 50% was fine flour. Now i used 1/2 pint jars 10 of them i let steam in a pot for 2 hours and let it cool overnight. Also forget to mention the substrate mixture seemed normal looking when compared to videos and pictures i didnt pack it or anything but it still appeared a little dense and there wasn't that much access water and i left a centimeter or 2 of dry VERM for the contaminate barrier i flamed the needled before each jar ( I DID NOT however have loose caps on the jars during the steaming and i dont have it loose now) i have all 10 jars sealed in the glovebox with little to no air flow at the temperature of 24 degrees Celsius constantly in a dark room i did the inoculation on the 18th of September and now its the 23rd and i have yet to see any growth of any kind and im afraid to actually open th jars or look really well for fear of containment's any advice on what im doing wrong if anything or something to help my current situation i really want to get into this hobby of mushroom cultivation and i dont want all my time and energy wasted on nothing also forget to mention that on at lease 2 jars the holes i made where a little small and i couldn't get the needled to go where i want and mite have just injected it into the dry Verm layer in the middle i think and in fact alot of the holes where small and i can only inject in the middle of the actual substrates.

Edited by PussyFart

Reason: It's against the forum rules to name vendors or plug non sponsors.

Rules Thread-READ BEFORE POSTING

http://www.shroomery.org/sponsors.php

Edited by PussyFart (09/23/14 10:54 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinepawnzy
That Guy

Re: Newfoundland Noob PF TEK "Help" [Re: Andrewjeddore]
    #20605546 - 09/23/14 10:51 AM (9 years, 6 months ago)

You need to make your posts easier to read.

I understand though, you are a newfie trying to grow mushrooms...  lol jk

But the brf thing , id say it definitley could affect your grow, as the mycelium will find it harder to colonize a coarse substrate. But your probably fine.

How long has it been? 5 days. You need to wait up to 14 days to call it quits.

So just be patient , do some reading and youll be fine most likely.

OfflinePussyFart
Retired Cultivation Extrodinaire
Male

Loc: Orbiting Earth
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Newfoundland Noob PF TEK "Help" [Re: pawnzy]
    #20605571 - 09/23/14 10:58 AM (9 years, 6 months ago)

The website you ordered your spores from is notorius for screwing people.....and don't read too much into "strains".....cubes are cubes....

Distilled water is only for making spore syringes,

Place the jars on a shelf, not in a SAB....SAB is only for sterile work, not colonization.

Also keeping them in darkness is outdated, they do better with ambient light on a 12/12 schedule.

Spores can take 2+ weeks to germinate and show growth.

You need to be more patient.

Offlinesupernewfie
some fella
Male

Loc: Canada Flag
    #20605585 - 09/23/14 11:02 AM (9 years, 6 months ago)

welcome to the shroomery man, one thing ya gotta know about growing cubensis, its pretty easy aha

buying brown rice flower will eliminate the steps of grinding it yourself. that seems like a bit too much fucking around for me anyways. in saying that it probably wont be a problem since mycelium will gladly eat any grain it can get.it should be sterile since you steamed for 2 hours, and as you said only tiny chunks were left and no whole rice

like pawnzy said, your post is a bit hard to read because everything is jumbled together.

you should probably remove the sponsors name from the post, on that note though I haven't read any particularly good reviews of that vendor

usually you would see growth in 5 days but it can take much longer than that

watch RogerRabbits videos on mushroomvideos.com it is packed with good information

Edited by supernewfie (09/23/14 11:16 AM)

OfflineAndrewjeddore
Drifter
Male

#20605617 - 09/23/14 11:12 AM (9 years, 6 months ago)

Ok i have a little more insight on this now and i tryed to find the best website i can i was stuck between 2 well known vendors and
i heard mixed reviews on the one i chose
but it had customer support that i even called in to talk to so thats the only reason i trusted it but now im having second thoughts

well anyways if i did get the "right" stuff will should i have the lids on loosely?

and should i take it out of the box now and leave it on the shelf with a 12\12 hour shift between light and dark?(with tin foil on or of) and

do anyone known a reliable vendor( if it can be mentioned on this site)

Offlinesupernewfie
some fella
Male

#20605638 - 09/23/14 11:19 AM (9 years, 6 months ago)

lids don't need to be on loosely, yes take it out of the box and put up on a shelf... ambient light in the room is good enough no need to run a bulb just for colonization. take the tin foil off, it will only hinder gas exchange- the verm barrier is good enough to stop contams, the tin foil isn't needed

OfflinePussyFart
Male

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Newfoundland Noob PF TEK "Help" [Re: supernewfie]
    #20605648 - 09/23/14 11:22 AM (9 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

supernewfie said:
take the tin foil off, it will only hinder gas exchange-

No it wont......but what it will do is aid in moistening the dry verm layer, which is not a good thing.

Remove the foil.

Offlineweaksause
Stranger

#20605654 - 09/23/14 11:23 AM (9 years, 6 months ago)

what temp are your jars at ?

5 days germinating seems like a pipe dream for anyone not using an incubator . like everyone else said , chill :smile:
check back in a few weeks , it's pretty difficult to over colonize to the point it's a problem

probably fine , definitely want to inject the MS(multispore) so it runs down the sides of the jar . watch the videos even the free ones i watched have a good explanation of PF TEK .

a lot of people here seem wildly paranoid about contams on their first go.

yeah put it on a shelf , take tin foil off probably . all the spores need in PF cakes is an environment comfortable to you , in their jars with some gas exchange . can be indirect light or a dark closet
i see no difference :smile:

http://www.shroomery.org/8689/Mycology
i had success with these guys
http://www.shroomery.org/11263/Mushroom-Prints
sure everyone has their favorite go to spore shop

good luck hope it works out for you newfoundland noob

OfflinePussyFart
Male

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Newfoundland Noob PF TEK "Help" [Re: weaksause]
    #20605669 - 09/23/14 11:27 AM (9 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

weaksause said:
5 days germinating seems like a pipe dream for anyone not using an incubator .

Not really...incubation is not needed for spore germination...I just had spores germinate on agar at 60F in 5-6 days......

Quote:

weaksause said:
can be indirect light or a dark closet i see no difference

Have you done tests? It doesn't sound like it.

Offlinesupernewfie
some fella
Male

#20605675 - 09/23/14 11:28 AM (9 years, 6 months ago)

thanks for the correction, I was going to edit in my post that the tin foil would eventually make the dry verm moist but never bothered..

anyways Andrewjeddore if you ever need a print just give me a message I could mail ya one sometime if youre able to make use of it

OfflineAndrewjeddore
Drifter
Male

#20605729 - 09/23/14 11:44 AM (9 years, 6 months ago)

well anyways thanks for all the great advice will post future question if i have any. I will change my approach in hope that it will work out better with the new information given.( also the spore syringe seemed legit it had specs in a otherwise clear solution)

Offlineweaksause
Stranger

Re: Newfoundland Noob PF TEK "Help" [Re: PussyFart]
    #20605769 - 09/23/14 11:54 AM (9 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

PussyFart said:
Quote:

weaksause said:
5 days germinating seems like a pipe dream for anyone not using an incubator .

Not really...incubation is not needed for spore germination...I just had spores germinate on agar at 60F in 5-6 days......

Quote:

weaksause said:
can be indirect light or a dark closet i see no difference

Have you done tests? It doesn't sound like it.

i didnt mean to say one should use an incubator
i meant to say 5 day germination time sounds faster than i've experienced at room temp, w/ PF jars .

i innoc w/ pf classic 2 dozen half pints , identical, both in my family room where there's light . one had 3 layers of beach towels one was exposed to light .
no difference colonizing , performed the same when exposed to fruiting conditions after both being in indirect light for a week after 100% . not much of a test , but none the less . certainly wouldn't tell someone to give incubating jars light when it's convenient to have them dark - nature does both, anyway, and they are perfectly able to germinate in absolute darkness .

OfflinePussyFart
Male

Trusted Cultivator
    #20605795 - 09/23/14 12:00 PM (9 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

weaksause said:
i innoc w/ pf classic 2 dozen half pints , identical, both in my family room where there's light . one had 3 layers of beach towels one was exposed to light .
no difference colonizing , performed the same when exposed to fruiting conditions after both being in indirect light for a week after 100% . not much of a test

Use isolates next time so your results are actually valid.

MS genetics should never be used in tests like this......the genetic crapshoot lottery kills your results.

Light has been proven beneficial during all stages of mycellium growth. Mushrooms like mammals have a circadian rhythm.

Quote:

weaksause said:
but none the less . certainly wouldn't tell someone to give incubating jars light when it's convenient to have them dark - 

I would......just because something is inconvenient does not mean it's not beneficial.

Offlineweaksause
Stranger

#20605861 - 09/23/14 12:16 PM (9 years, 6 months ago)

i'm not convinced on the light bit

can you lead me to solid info you're referencing ?
i have seen nothing that demonstrates small scale shroom grows
will find light to be enough of a benefit or detriment to warrant discussion .

and yeah , like i said not much of a test . you asked for it, you got it :thumbup:

i'll leave advising people to you anyway, haha . i am a noob, but i can testify on behalf of what has worked for me :smile:

OfflineAndrewjeddore
Drifter
Male

#20605981 - 09/23/14 12:49 PM (9 years, 6 months ago)

Quick Update: after moving the jars out and putting them uncovered in

the new area i noticed one jar showed a possible growth one spot of what

appears to me mycelium is growing which is hopeful that i got good

spores. Also what is the best Temp for mycelium in degrees Celsius

without risking contaminates

Offlinesupernewfie
some fella
Male

#20606096 - 09/23/14 01:11 PM (9 years, 6 months ago)

around 20 is fine

take a picture of the growth if you can

Offlinepawnzy
That Guy

#20606417 - 09/23/14 02:25 PM (9 years, 6 months ago)

patience boys, patience.

Offlinepawnzy
That Guy

#20606962 - 09/23/14 04:07 PM (9 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

PussyFart said:
Quote:

supernewfie said:
take the tin foil off, it will only hinder gas exchange-

No it wont......but what it will do is aid in moistening the dry verm layer, which is not a good thing.

Remove the foil.

can this happen during the pc cycle?
i just lost 16 pf tek jars to trich , black mold, and cobweb : looking for answers lol.

lately i have noticed i been slacking on the foil wrapping.

sometimes since i rip off a small square piece and since the jar lid is a circle one little corner of the ring is visible and a couple drops are found to be on the surface of my jar lids...

OfflinePussyFart
Male

Trusted Cultivator
    #20606975 - 09/23/14 04:09 PM (9 years, 6 months ago)

The foil is only there to stop water from dripping into the inoculation holes during the sterilization process.

If you remove the foil after sterilization, the dry verm layer should remain dry.....

Quote:

pawnzy said:
sometimes since i rip off a small square piece and since the jar lid is a circle one little corner of the ring is visible and a couple drops are found to be on the surface of my jar lids...

Did it affect the dry verm layer?

Offlinepawnzy
That Guy

#20606991 - 09/23/14 04:11 PM (9 years, 6 months ago)

Cant tell because the verm layer is concealed by the jar ring.. Would one drop or two disturb it to the point of peril?

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order