Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Amanita Muscaria Store Amanita Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineATLien
Harm ReductionGuru

Loc: Atlanta Georgia
Fly Agaric Look-a-like? Just curious
    #2055476 - 10/29/03 11:06 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

We found some fly-agaric looking mushrooms in Ellijay, except the caps were purple. We also found a whole bunch of huge Death Caps. Here's a picture of the look-a-like, if anyone can identify it, I would love to have my curiosity full-filled.

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineATLien
Harm ReductionGuru

Re: Fly Agaric Look-a-like? Just curious [Re: ATLien]
    #2055479 - 10/29/03 11:07 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

It's so tiny!

--------------------

InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #2055588 - 10/29/03 11:34 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

I think you've found some Russla. If you eat them they'll either taste bland and make you sick or they'll taste peppery and make you sick :smile: 

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: looking for zeebras, n. c...
Trusted Identifier
Re: Fly Agaric Look-a-like? Just curious [Re: Gumby]
    #2055625 - 10/29/03 11:42 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

If you eat them they'll either taste bland and make you sick or they'll taste peppery and make you sick 

that's a pretty good simplification :smile:

rusula is not a genus to be experimented with...

--------------------

Attn PWN hunters: If you should come across a bluing Psilocybe matching P. pellicolusa please smell it.
If you detect a scent reminiscent of Anethole (anise) please preserve a specimen or two for study and please PM me.

Invisibleangryshroom
Stranger
 User Gallery

#2055950 - 10/30/03 01:28 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Funny how you think thats a look-a-like to A. muscaria... :wink:

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Identifier
Re: Fly Agaric Look-a-like? Just curious [Re: angryshroom]
    #2056026 - 10/30/03 01:55 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

it seems taht ATLien could stand to do some research to find out what the kkey features of a mushroom are.

no disrespect to you ATLien, but there are verry important features to note about any mushroom before having a chance at an id.

you can look at a mushroom and think it looks just like a given species, and often be right, but the risk is a great one. identification of a mushroom is a science, and for good reason.

--------------------

Attn PWN hunters: If you should come across a bluing Psilocybe matching P. pellicolusa please smell it.
If you detect a scent reminiscent of Anethole (anise) please preserve a specimen or two for study and please PM me.

OfflineNirvhead
-State of Art-

Loc: WA State, USA
    #2056432 - 10/30/03 06:37 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Very nice cam... Could probably get the finger prints off of you from those pictures  :wink:

--------------------
Like a fiend in a cloud
With howling woe,
After night I do croud
And with night will go;
I turn my back to the east,
From whence comforts have increas'd;
For light doth seize my brain
With frantic pain.

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
    #2056612 - 10/30/03 08:45 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Hey, here are a few fly agaric shrooms which look nothing like Russula
species.

This first Amanita has a small baby P. cyanescens growing right in front of it. I photographed that last fall.

and more images of amanita muscaria

and

the slug who blissed himself to death with a smile on his face.
He started to eat the shroom, got stoned and as the shroom dried under the lights so did the slug. But I can tell you he was a happy slug. This was photographed in West lake, Oregon.

One of the next image has a sliced shroom to show the interior features of the amanita muscaria

and

and one of Amanita muscaria var. formosa
This was photographed in Astoria, Oregon

All other images were photographed in the city of Seattle..

mj

OfflineATLien
Harm ReductionGuru

Re: Fly Agaric Look-a-like? Just curious [Re: mjshroomer]
    #2059177 - 10/30/03 10:52 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

White stems, white gills, colored caps with white spots. That's basicly what a Fly Agaric mushroom looks like. Only differences are it's purple instead of red, the white spots are pits instead of warts and it doesn't have a skirt. I'm well aware what we found isn't Fly Agaric, I was just saying that other people might make that mistake, and I was just curious what the mushroom we found was. This was the smallest one we found, it was cute so we took a picture. Some had caps 6 inches wide.

I don't know how anybody in thier right mind could mistake a death cap for a Fly Agaric, but a lot of the guides always feel the need to point out that Death Caps are not Fly Agaric. I was kind of doing the same thing. I apologize if I was encouraging more confusion, next time I'll just ask "What's this?"

I like mushrooms. Not just the ones that make you intoxicated or hallucinate. I just think they're fun to look at. It's really frustrating posting here when everyone assumes I'm an idiot.

From now on remember who I am, because I will be the guy posting a bunch of pictures of random mushrooms for identification every once in a while. I'm not going to eat any of them, I know someone with a closet full of shrooms, if I want to trip, I can get Cubensis from a close trusted friend. If I want to eat Fly Agaric, the shop down the road sells it. I'm just a nature-nerd trying to gain some knowledge of what's in the woods, so get off my back with the preaching already, I've heard it almost every post I've made since I registered here, it's really annoying. Thanks.

--------------------

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Identifier
    #2059240 - 10/30/03 11:15 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Only differences are it's purple instead of red, the white spots are pits instead of warts and it doesn't have a skirt.

but the above are huge morphologic differences, with great taxonomic signifigance.

--------------------

OfflineATLien
Harm ReductionGuru

Re: Fly Agaric Look-a-like? Just curious [Re: canid]
    #2059438 - 10/31/03 12:18 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Not everybody speaks myco-nese. Pardon my ignorance. I'm here to learn. I'll keep it simple next time.

--------------------

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Identifier
    #2059451 - 10/31/03 12:23 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

my point is that anybody who is going to be hunting any wild mushrooms with the intent to consume any of them needs to learn. i can see that you agree with this in some part, so i think you are on the right track.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Amanita Muscaria Store Amanita Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck