Home | Community | Message Board

NorthSpore.com BOOMR Bag!
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules, Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Buy Kratom Powder & Leaf, Kraken Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleSalomon
ಠ︵ಠ balance ಠ_ಠ weaver ಠ‿ಠ
Male
Loc: America, FUCK YEAH Flag
beware, folks theres a new virus killing children in america. not ebola this time
    #20545678 - 09/09/14 11:27 PM (9 years, 6 months ago)

http://www.latimes.com/nation/nationnow/la-na-nn-respiratory-virus-children-20140908-story.html

Quote:

A rare virus that threatens respiratory systems has sickened hundreds children in Kansas City, Mo., and and Chicago and could be responsible for far more cases in about a dozen states, national health officials said Monday.

The virus, known as Enterovirus D68, is a rare form of the virus normally associated with the common cold, Anne Schuchat, assistant surgeon general and director of the National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases, said at a news conference at the Atlanta-based Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
Related story: Ebola vaccine tests on monkeys show promise
Related story: Ebola vaccine tests on monkeys show promise
Lauren Raab, Melissa Healy

Reports of hundreds of children being infected have raised concerns, and doctors have been warned to be on the lookout for more clusters, she said. “We understand the concern about this. Severe respiratory illness is also a concern, especially when children are involved,” she said.

No deaths have been reported, Schuchat said. It is unclear exactly how many children have been infected by the EV-D68 strain, which requires special testing to be identified. “Most of the runny noses out there are not going to be turning into this,” she said.
lRelated Use of experimental Ebola drug raises red flags among medical experts

Science
    Use of experimental Ebola drug raises red flags among medical experts

See all related

EV-D68 was first identified in California in 1962, according to the CDC. Just 79 cases were reported from 2009 to 2013 in the United States.

The full danger from the virus is still being studied, but in general it has been associated with respiratory illness and some neurological conditions including meningitis and encephalitis. In the current situation, the only reported problems have been associated with the lungs, Schuchat said.

Symptoms are similar to an intense cold. But for those with asthma and other lung diseases, there can be complications that require hospitalization, she said.

On Aug. 19, the CDC said, it was notified by Children's Mercy Hospital in Kansas City of an increase in patients examined and hospitalized with severe respiratory illness, including some admitted to the pediatric intensive care unit. More than 500 children have been treated there.

On Aug. 23, the CDC was told by the University of Chicago Medicine Comer Children's Hospital of an increase in children needing treatment there. There was no immediate overall number of children seeking treatment, but nine of the 25 patients in the pediatric intensive care unit appear to have the virus, spokeswoman Ashley M. Heher said Monday in an email. Many of the children who are getting especially sick are considered medically fragile, meaning they have other health issues that might put them at risk for complications, but there are also healthy children who are becoming ill, she said.

Based on testing, EV-D68 was identified in 19 of 22 specimens from Kansas City and in 11 of 14 specimens from Chicago. “Since these initial reports, admissions for severe respiratory illness have continued at both facilities at rates higher than expected for this time of year. Investigations into suspected clusters in other jurisdictions are ongoing,” according to the CDC.

The ages of the patients ranged from about 6 weeks to 16 years, with the median age of about 4 years.

Late-summer colds are common, especially among children who are heading back to school. About 10 million and 15 million such infections are reported each year.

Officials recommend the usual common-sense precautions to avoid the virus, including washing hands and avoiding sharing utensils with those who are infected. Those who are ill are urged to stay home.

The CDC also said it is testing to see whether the virus caused respiratory illnesses reported in children in Alabama, Colorado, Georgia, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma and Utah.

it started in colorado, because of all the new people flocking there for the weed i suspect.

beware of getting a cold because it might be worse than you think.

stay safe peeps

--------------------
EVERYTHING EVENTUALLY BECOMES A DESERT

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleSheekle
FREE BURKE
 User Gallery

Re: beware, folks theres a new virus killing children in america. not ebola this time [Re: Salomon]
    #20545689 - 09/09/14 11:30 PM (9 years, 6 months ago)

My dad told me about this the other day. I hope our CO comrades on here turn out okay, but assuming nobody here is 16 or under I guess it'll be fine in that case.

They better find a cure for that shit quick, little kids shouldn't be dying of illness. Where's baldo when we need him?

--------------------
"Ur cat died because he hated u" - Koods
"I hope JSB kicks your ass one day." - Vandago
"you are the biggest 'internet guy' I have ever come across"- Jokeshopbeard
"The more I see you post the more I realize you're just this fuckin tie dye loser who trolls the Shroomery 24/7." - Herbologist
"Sheekle you cannot vile the dice of bullshit you have posted on this forum over the years, I like databases" - thelastoneleft
"or maybe i just come from a blood line of superior intelligence" - trees

R.I.P Kelsy, ?/?/?? - 6/11/16

Offlinestarfire_xes
I Am 'They'
Male User Gallery

Loc: Dallas with all the assho...
Re: beware, folks theres a new virus killing children in america. not ebola this time [Re: Sheekle]
    #20545753 - 09/09/14 11:51 PM (9 years, 6 months ago)

"No deaths have been reported, Schuchat said."

The sky is falling.  Where do I send the money?

--------------------
:smug: [/url][/url] 
:smirk: IF THE NEIGHBORS COMPLAIN BECAUSE THE MUSIC'S TOO LOUD, TURN IT UP SO YOU CAN'T HEAR THEM BITCH    :smirk:

InvisibleModestMouse
IM WALKIN ON SUNSHINE
 User Gallery

Loc: Upstate
Re: beware, folks theres a new virus killing children in america. not ebola this time [Re: Salomon]
    #20545769 - 09/09/14 11:56 PM (9 years, 6 months ago)

My campus got it already.
Its called move in virus. Its all around the country.
It comes every year around this time. The weather is in flux, immune systems are weakened, and college students from all around the country are movi ng about and sharing everything from showers and pencils to bongs, and beers.

This years rendition just appears to be stronger than usual.
We'll live.
Fun fact: if you followed a "killer virus" for a week, you'd never run out of "killer virus"' to follow.

Food for thought.

--------------------
Anyone got a lowpass filter in this biiiiash?

Invisiblepirate-blues
Female

Re: beware, folks theres a new virus killing children in america. not ebola this time [Re: starfire_xes]
    #20545777 - 09/10/14 12:01 AM (9 years, 6 months ago)

Tons of kids and elderly people die every year from the flu.

This is just a very strong cold going around and medically vulnerable kids(who already have weaker immune systems than an adult to begin with) are requiring hospitalization. It sucks and I hope everyone affected will get the care they need to recover, but I wouldn't hit the panic switch yet.

The media can collectively go suck a dick, they're just capitalizing on existing panic and uneasiness over ebola and trying to sensationalize things for hits.

Offlinestarfire_xes
I Am 'They'
Male User Gallery

Loc: Dallas with all the assho...
Re: beware, folks theres a new virus killing children in america. not ebola this time [Re: pirate-blues]
    #20545803 - 09/10/14 12:10 AM (9 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

pirate-blues said:

The media can collectively go suck a dick, they're just capitalizing on existing panic and uneasiness over ebola and trying to sensationalize things for hits.

:awesomenod:

--------------------
:smug: [/url][/url] 
:smirk: IF THE NEIGHBORS COMPLAIN BECAUSE THE MUSIC'S TOO LOUD, TURN IT UP SO YOU CAN'T HEAR THEM BITCH    :smirk:

InvisibleLegend
RIP Sasha
Male

Loc: TX Flag
Re: beware, folks theres a new virus killing children in america. not ebola this time [Re: starfire_xes]
    #20545806 - 09/10/14 12:12 AM (9 years, 6 months ago)

as long as it's not as bad as the flu im good

last year i got the flu, fuck that shit, i felt ike i was dying.

kratom really helped though.

--------------------
No sympathy for the devil, keep that in mind.
[url=
]Buy the ticket, take the ride. [/url]
Are you lost?

InvisibleModestMouse
IM WALKIN ON SUNSHINE
 User Gallery

Loc: Upstate
Re: beware, folks theres a new virus killing children in america. not ebola this time [Re: Legend]
    #20545819 - 09/10/14 12:13 AM (9 years, 6 months ago)

:themoreyouknow:

--------------------
Anyone got a lowpass filter in this biiiiash?

InvisibleSalomon
ಠ︵ಠ balance ಠ_ಠ weaver ಠ‿ಠ
Male
Loc: America, FUCK YEAH Flag
    #20545825 - 09/10/14 12:15 AM (9 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

starfire_xes said:
Quote:

pirate-blues said:

:awesomenod:

this might be correct, but its still good to know about it. the more people that know, the faster it gets snuffed out

--------------------
EVERYTHING EVENTUALLY BECOMES A DESERT

Offlinelowbrow
Paddy Time!!!!
Male

#20545874 - 09/10/14 12:28 AM (9 years, 6 months ago)

I was thinking that this new virus could be because we are using to many hand sanitizers and shit like that, antibacterial soap, and now we've got a supervirus from doing it.

--------------------
Amanita86 said:
Sui is trying to mod right now.  Kinda like a newborn calf tryin ta stand fer the first time ain’t it..

OfflineAzure Essence
Male User Gallery

Loc: Flag
    #20546038 - 09/10/14 01:29 AM (9 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

starfire_xes said:
"No deaths have been reported, Schuchat said."

The sky is falling.  Where do I send the money?

You have to dump a bucket of snot on your head to raise awareness

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules, Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Buy Kratom Powder & Leaf, Kraken Kratom