Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   OlympusMyco.com Mushroom Grow Bags   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Topicals   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineagoraphone
Stranger
 User Gallery

Slow & inconsistent colonization
    #20507900 - 09/01/14 08:27 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Hi all- I'm just getting started with growing - using PF tek. I'm noticing that there is a huge inconsistency with how colonized my jars are. It's been 3 weeks since inoculation, and as you should see from the pics, some jars are 50+% colonized, and others have only one or two little spots of mycelium growth. From what I've read, it seems that most folks are at the 100% colonization mark at 3 weeks, and can birth at 4 weeks. So why are my jars going so slow? And why the huge inconsistency? At this rate, the slower jars won't be ready to birth for another 4 months!

I followed the PF tek closely, so I'm not sure what the problem is. All the jars have been located in the same location the whole time. I'm wondering if perhaps the syringe wasn't mixed enough. I got it from a sponsor site, but noticed that the spores seemed very clumped together in the syringe. It took a LOT of shaking to get them mixed up - like 5 minutes or so of shaking. But perhaps even that wasn't enough, and some spores ended up in a few jars, but a lot fewer in others? I did not pack the jars tight - tried to keep the mix light and fluffy.

Any ideas if I'm doing something wrong? Should the slower jars reach 100% eventually, or is there a point at which they should be birthed even if they're not at 100%? Thanks for helping a noob.

--------------------
"Always that same LSD story, you've all seen it. 'Young man on acid, thought he could fly, jumped out of a building. What a tragedy.' What a dick! Fuck him, he’s an idiot. [...] How about a positive LSD story? Wouldn't that be news-worthy, just the once? To base your decision on information rather than scare tactics and superstition and lies? I think it would be news-worthy. 'Today, a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration. That we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively. There is no such thing as death, life is only a dream and we're the imagination of ourselves' . . . 'Here's Tom with the weather.' —Bill Hicks

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMonkeyJesusFresco
am i suspended in agar?
Male

Loc: South East USA Flag
Re: Slow & inconsistent colonization [Re: agoraphone]
    #20507909 - 09/01/14 08:28 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

looks like bacterials in that second pic :rolleyes:

Offlineagoraphone
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Slow & inconsistent colonization [Re: MonkeyJesusFresco]
    #20507945 - 09/01/14 08:35 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

What part of it looks like bacterials? And you're not seeing that in the first pic?

--------------------
"Always that same LSD story, you've all seen it. 'Young man on acid, thought he could fly, jumped out of a building. What a tragedy.' What a dick! Fuck him, he’s an idiot. [...] How about a positive LSD story? Wouldn't that be news-worthy, just the once? To base your decision on information rather than scare tactics and superstition and lies? I think it would be news-worthy. 'Today, a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration. That we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively. There is no such thing as death, life is only a dream and we're the imagination of ourselves' . . . 'Here's Tom with the weather.' —Bill Hicks

InvisiblebodhisattaMDiscordReddit
Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Milky way
Trusted Cultivator
    #20508033 - 09/01/14 08:53 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

first one is hard to tell take a more clear picture, natural lighting, white balance for the lighting, good focus.

second one is clearly fucked

third one is likely bacterial because it stalled and looks weak.

Offlinesupernewfie
some fella
Male

Loc: Canada Flag
    #20508038 - 09/01/14 08:54 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

How much water to verm did you add when preparing the cakes looks a little wet

Offlineagoraphone
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Slow & inconsistent colonization [Re: bodhisatta]
    #20508061 - 09/01/14 08:58 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Thanks for the opinions - can you spell out for a noob why the second one is fucked? Jar 1 & 2 look pretty similar to me. What are you seeing that says bacterials?

--------------------

OfflineMonkeyJesusFresco
am i suspended in agar?
Male

#20508071 - 09/01/14 08:59 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

and guys, make sure you're zoom'n in on that 2nd pic!

edit: that ropey-rhizo growth is a well known sight, in response to bacteria

Edited by MonkeyJesusFresco (09/01/14 09:01 PM)

Offlineagoraphone
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Slow & inconsistent colonization [Re: supernewfie]
    #20508085 - 09/01/14 09:02 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

supernewfie said:
How much water to verm did you add when preparing the cakes looks a little wet

2c BRF, 2c water, 4c verm

--------------------

Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
    #20508086 - 09/01/14 09:02 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

the left side of the jar looks different from the right side of the jar that's two different mycelium or your cube ran into bacteria it's thick looking it could also be another mold.

Offlineagoraphone
Stranger
 User Gallery

#20508146 - 09/01/14 09:15 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

bodhisatta said:
the left side of the jar looks different from the right side of the jar that's two different mycelium or your cube ran into bacteria it's thick looking it could also be another mold.

Ah- so it sounds like myc should look cottony, not stringy - yes?
When I see that stringy growth, does that mean that jar is not going to pin once it's birthed?

--------------------

OfflineMoxyOx
Grazin'

Loc: Flag
    #20508166 - 09/01/14 09:22 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

I don't see anything wrong with any of those jars aside from the water content. They are too moist, that is what is causing such a slow colonization.

If you see some form of bacteria, open paint and highlight it for the rest of us because I don't see it.

--------------------
No one behind, no one ahead.
The path the ancients cleared has closed.
And the other path, everyone's path,
easy and wide, goes nowhere.
I am alone and find my way.

Offlineagoraphone
Stranger
 User Gallery

#20508215 - 09/01/14 09:35 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

MonkeyJesusFresco said:
that ropey-rhizo growth is a well known sight, in response to bacteria

I'm looking at this post from EvilMushroom666, and halfway down the page, in the colonization section, the 5th photo has the same stringy kind of growth. Are you saying that jar is contaminated too?

--------------------

InvisibleMudaFuka
Poppin bottles
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Slow & inconsistent colonization [Re: MoxyOx]
    #20508234 - 09/01/14 09:37 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

1 and 2 are both bacterial. See how some of the mycelium looks like melted ice cream. that's bacteria in action.

--------------------
AMU
Bottle Tek
Liquid Inoculant Tek                                   

OfflineMonkeyJesusFresco
am i suspended in agar?
Male

Re: Slow & inconsistent colonization [Re: MoxyOx]
    #20509545 - 09/02/14 08:09 AM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

MoxyOx said:
I don't see anything wrong with any of those jars aside from the water content. They are too moist, that is what is causing such a slow colonization.

If you see some form of bacteria, open paint and highlight it for the rest of us because I don't see it.

Offlineagoraphone
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Slow & inconsistent colonization [Re: MudaFuka]
    #20510938 - 09/02/14 04:27 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

MudaFuka said:
1 and 2 are both bacterial. See how some of the mycelium looks like melted ice cream. that's bacteria in action.

OK so if it's stringy/ropy/looks like melted ice cream that means bacteria? I'm confused because I've seen a lot of photos with this kind of growth, with no indication that it's abnormal.

Again, does this pic (posted in EvilMushroom666's guide) also show bacteria?

Because to me, it looks similar to my jars. And if it's bacteria, then why would someone be posting it as an example in their guide? Or is there a difference between this jar and mine that I'm somehow missing?

--------------------

InvisibleMudaFuka
Poppin bottles
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #20511021 - 09/02/14 04:47 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Ropes are fine. No that jar of EM666 looks fine its not the ropes its the thick creamy white growth that signifies bacteria.

--------------------
AMU
Bottle Tek
Liquid Inoculant Tek                                   

OfflineMike1230
Mycelium Motivator
Male User Gallery

#20511115 - 09/02/14 05:04 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

U see how his mycelium is covering the substrate, and how yours is leaving pieces of the sub exposed almost like water is stuck to the individual grains of sub? Well that's a good indicator of bacteria. Rhizo is ok but when it's malformed rhizo it's bacteria

--------------------

Offlineagoraphone
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Slow & inconsistent colonization [Re: Mike1230]
    #20511411 - 09/02/14 06:21 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Mike1230 said:
U see how his mycelium is covering the substrate, and how yours is leaving pieces of the sub exposed almost like water is stuck to the individual grains of sub? Well that's a good indicator of bacteria. Rhizo is ok but when it's malformed rhizo it's bacteria

OK I think I'm starting to get it understand. Thanks for clarifying.

So if this were mold, I'd toss the jar, but it seems like it's growing, but just having a hard time due to a fight with some bacteria in the jar, yes? I'm thinking I'll keep seeing how the jars grow and try to fruit them anyway. This is only my second grow - first grow had some similar problems, but gave me about 12g dry harvest nonetheless.

I'm thinking about trying a different tek next time cuz apparently I suck at this one. I'm thinking about trying to buy pre-sterilized spawn bags and just inoculate those. Whaddayathink? Would that be a route that I'm less likely to screw up?

--------------------

Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
    #20511450 - 09/02/14 06:31 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

agoraphone said:

I'm thinking about trying a different tek next time cuz apparently I suck at this one. I'm thinking about trying to buy pre-sterilized spawn bags and just inoculate those. Whaddayathink? Would that be a route that I'm less likely to screw up?

trying to get this one to work again would be the best route in my opinion. You already have some experience with this, if you're going to give up on it then I have a feeling you'll do shitty elsewhere too. All you need to do is follow the directions to the T on this one and use quality sourced inoculant.

OfflineMoxyOx
Grazin'

Loc: Flag
    #20523238 - 09/05/14 08:18 AM (9 years, 7 months ago)

I agree, don't give up. Failure is part of life and should be dealt with accordingly by trying yet again.

--------------------
No one behind, no one ahead.
The path the ancients cleared has closed.
And the other path, everyone's path,
easy and wide, goes nowhere.
I am alone and find my way.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   OlympusMyco.com Mushroom Grow Bags   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Topicals   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract