Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags, Contam-Resistant All-In-One Grow Bags   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineTmethylM
Smear in the shale
 User Gallery

Loc: Florida
Breaking Down The Present Moment * 2
    #20478777 - 08/26/14 10:28 AM (9 years, 6 months ago)

I wrote this article for Divine-Society.com and they published it.
It's basically just a compilation. Does any disagree with the message here, or have something to add?

I enjoy making an idea which has been buried under layers of distortion and misinterpretation throughout the ages due to
organized religion and whatnot, and make them make sense again in a completely
unbiased manner. To point things out which were so obvious that they escaped us! I
believe the “spiritual” teachings of today are too rigidly formalized or
conceptualized to remain effective. When the truth is quite simple.

-The Present-

Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the
present moment.
-Buddha

I have realized that the past and future are real illusions, that they exist in the
present, which is what there is and all there is.
-Alan Watts

Do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself. Let the
day’s own trouble be sufficient for the day.
-Jesus Christ

Breathing in, I calm body and mind. Breathing out, I smile. Dwelling in the present
moment I know this is the only moment.
-Thich Nhat Hanh

If you are depressed you are living in the past.
If you are anxious you are living in the future.
If you are at peace you are living in the present.
―Lao Tzu

Be here now.
―Ram Dass

I never think of the future. It comes soon enough.
People like us, who believe in physics, know that the distinction between past,
present, and future is only a stubbornly persistent illusion.
-Albert Einstein

The more I give myself permission to live in the moment and enjoy it without feeling
guilty, the better I feel about the quality of my work.
-Wayne Dyer

Always say ‘yes’ to the present moment… Surrender to what is. Say ‘yes’ to life -
and see how life starts suddenly to start working for you rather than against you.
-Eckhart Tolle

You must live in the present, launch yourself on every wave, find your eternity in
each moment.
-Henry David Thoreau

Yesterday’s the past, tomorrow’s the future, but today is a gift. That’s why it’s
called the present.
-Bil Keane

We should not fret for what is past, nor should we be anxious about the future; men
of discernment deal only with the present moment.
-Chanakya

To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the
“old,” you derive security; from the “ new,” you gain the flow.
-Bruce Lee

Realize deeply that the present moment is all you ever have. Make the Now the
primary focus of your life.
-Eckhart Tolle

Life gives you plenty of time to do whatever you want to do if you stay in the
present moment.
-Deepak Chopra

The art of life is to live in the present moment, and to make that moment as perfect
as we can by the realization that we are the instruments and expression of God
Himself.
-Emmet Fox

The ability to be in the present moment is a major component of mental wellness.
-Abraham Maslow

God is always coming to you in the Sacrament of the Present Moment. Meet and receive
Him there with gratitude in that sacrament.
-Evelyn Underhill

The point of power is always in the present moment.
-Louise L. Hay

For this day, I ask that you simply concentrate on what it is happening right now.
-Jesus Christ

The best gift we can have is living in the present moment and really enjoying it for
what it is; and, not being in our heads and getting sidetracked.
-Amy Smart

We have to get back to the beauty of just being alive in this present moment.
-Mary McDonnell

What is the biggest thing that stops people from living their lives in the present
moment? Fear – and we must learn how to overcome fear.
-Brian Weiss

The mind is never satisfied with the objects immediately before it, but is always
breaking away from the present moment, and losing itself in schemes of future
felicity… The natural flights of the human mind are not from pleasure to pleasure,
but from hope to hope.
-Samuel Johnson

Anything you’re trying to will is focused on the future; it’s always associated with
some sort of anxiety that makes the present moment somewhat uncomfortable.
-Martha Beck

I know that the purpose of life is to understand and be in the present moment with
the people you love. It’s just that simple.
-Jane Seymour

Women are degraded by the propensity to enjoy the present moment, and, at last,
despise the freedom which they have not sufficient virtue to struggle to attain.
-Mary Wollstonecraft

While you are meditating, if your mind wanders, gently bring it back to the present
moment.
-Sharon Salzberg

God isn’t present in the past or future. The great ‘I Am’ is in the present moment.
When I claim that presence, I can get through anything today.
-Regina Brett

If you abandon the present moment, you cannot live the moments of your daily life
deeply.
-Nhat Hanh

There is surely nothing other than the single purpose of the present moment. A man’s
whole life is a succession of moment after moment. If one fully understands the
present moment, there will be nothing else to do, and nothing else to pursue. Live
being true to the single purpose of the moment.
-Yamamoto Tsunetomo

It is this research into pure painting that is the problem at the present moment. I
do not know any painters in Paris who are really searching for this ideal world.
-Robert Delaunay

The present moment, if you think about it, is the only time there is. No matter what
time it is, it is always now.
-Marianne Williamson

Children have a way of forcing you back into the present moment.
-Lorna Luft

There are certain ways in which I cultivate awareness, both through mindful yoga and
taking care of my body and taking time to actually drop as deeply as possible into
stillness, into whatever is unfolding in the present moment.
-Jon Kabat-Zinn

The “moment” has no yesterday or tomorrow. It is not the result of thought and
therefore has no time.
-Bruce Lee

Americans often have trouble enjoying the present moment.
-Alan Dundes

The present moment is changing so fast that we often do not notice its existence at
all. Every moment of mind is like a series of pictures passing through a projector.
Some of the pictures come from sense impressions. Others come from memories of past
experiences or from fantasies of the future.
-Henepola Gunaratana

“If you feel lost, disappointed, hesitant, or weak, return to yourself, to who you
are, here and now and when you get there, you will discover yourself, like a lotus
flower in full bloom, even in a muddy pond, beautiful and strong.”
―Masaru Emoto

What matters is to live in the present, live now, for every moment is now. It is
your thoughts and acts of the moment that create your future. The outline of your
future path already exists, for you created its pattern by your past.
-Sai Baba

Happiness is not something you postpone for the future; it is something you design
for the present.
-Jim Rohn

True happiness is… to enjoy the present, without anxious dependence upon the future.
-Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Life is divided into three terms – that which was, which is, and which will be. Let
us learn from the past to profit by the present, and from the present, to live
better in the future.
-William Wordsworth

Planning is bringing the future into the present so that you can do something about
it now.
-Alan Lakein

Let him who would enjoy a good future waste none of his present.
-Roger Babson

Prejudice is a burden that confuses the past, threatens the future and renders the
present inaccessible.
-Maya Angelou

Only the present moment is real and available to us. The peace we desire is not in
some distant future, but it is something we can realize in the present moment.
-Thich Nhat Hahn

But man postpones or remembers; he does not live in the present, but with reverted
eye laments the past, or, heedless of the riches that surround him, stands on tiptoe
to foresee the future. He cannot be happy and strong until he too lives with nature
in the present, above time.
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

Children have neither a past nor a future. Thus they enjoy the present, which seldom
happens to us
-Jean de La Bruyère

Today it is not nearly enough to be a saint, but we must have the saintliness
demanded by the present moment, a new saintliness, itself also without precedent.
-Simone Weil

History is more or less bunk. It’s tradition. We don’t want tradition. We want to
live in the present.
-Henry Ford

The present moment is never intolerable. What’s intolerable is what’s going to
happen in the next four hours. To have your body here at 8 pm and your mind at 10:30
pm, that’s what causes us suffering.
-Anthony de Mello

The present moment, is life itself.

http://www.divine-society.com/creativity/the-spiritual-consolidator-a-list-of-spiritual-teachings/

--------------------
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
Re: Breaking Down The Present Moment [Re: Tmethyl]
    #20479105 - 08/26/14 12:03 PM (9 years, 6 months ago)

Phenibut=the present moment. :laugh:

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

OfflineSeaShrooms
The dude
Male User Gallery

Loc: Hitchhiking
Re: Breaking Down The Present Moment [Re: Icelander]
    #20480486 - 08/26/14 05:45 PM (9 years, 6 months ago)

Is quoting a bunch of people writing an article?

--------------------
The life of a condemned soul is hatred.

InvisibleIcelander
Male

Re: Breaking Down The Present Moment [Re: SeaShrooms]
    #20480499 - 08/26/14 05:48 PM (9 years, 6 months ago)

That's what I was wondering? Was there a payment?

--------------------

OfflineSeaShrooms
The dude
Male User Gallery

#20480507 - 08/26/14 05:50 PM (9 years, 6 months ago)

I can make long lists of quotes too, wanna see my facebook? lol

--------------------

InvisibledeCypher
 User Gallery

Re: Breaking Down The Present Moment [Re: SeaShrooms]
    #20480511 - 08/26/14 05:51 PM (9 years, 6 months ago)

To play Devil's advocate,

Yeah, let's just forget the past completely.  That means don't learn from your past mistakes, that means forget about everything bad that happened when you made a particular decision (so why not make that particular decision again?), and that means screw all promises and commitments you've made because after all, now's now and now's the only time that matters.  Right?

Also.

Yeah, let's just forget the future completely.  That means, don't worry about any potential future consequences to your actions.  The results be damned, just do what feels right because it feels good in the present moment, right?  After all, the past and the future are just illusions in your mind, and only the present is real, no?

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Any person with a lick of common sense knows that to truly live a "be here now" philosophy is tantamount to committing suicide.  Real men(substitute properly functioning human beings if you will) recognize that one has to use the past/one's memory as a learning tool, and to use one's anticipations of the future as a guiding tool with which to properly weigh various decisions against each other.

The present moment ain't all it's cracked up to be, in other words.  The present moment only got here because of all the past moments leading up to it, and it can only lead to more favorable present moments if one thinks ahead and calculates which future moments are most beneficial to one's self.

:satansmoking:

--------------------
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

InvisibleDividedQuantumM
Outer Head
Male User Gallery

Re: Breaking Down The Present Moment [Re: deCypher] * 1
    #20480525 - 08/26/14 05:53 PM (9 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

deCypher said:

Yeah, let's just forget the past completely.  That means don't learn from your past mistakes, that means forget about everything bad that happened when you made a particular decision (so why not make that particular decision again?), and that means screw all promises and commitments you've made because after all, now's now and now's the only time that matters.  Right?

Also.

Yeah, let's just forget the future completely.  That means, don't worry about any potential future consequences to your actions.  The results be damned, just do what feels right because it feels good in the present moment, right?  After all, the past and the future are just illusions in your mind, and only the present is real, no?

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Any person with a lick of common sense knows that to truly live a "be here now" philosophy is tantamount to committing suicide.  Real men(substitute properly functioning human beings if you will) recognize that one has to use the past/one's memory as a learning tool, and to use one's anticipations of the future as a guiding tool with which to properly weigh various decisions against each other.

The present moment ain't all it's cracked up to be, in other words.  The present moment only got here because of all the past moments leading up to it, and it can only lead to more favorable present moments if one thinks ahead and calculates which future moments are most beneficial to one's self.

:satansmoking:

Merveilleux!

--------------------
Vi Veri Universum Vivus Vici

OfflineSeaShrooms
The dude
Male User Gallery

Re: Breaking Down The Present Moment [Re: DividedQuantum]
    #20480540 - 08/26/14 05:56 PM (9 years, 6 months ago)

I would put the same argument forward by saying, the present is a product of the past, and the cause of the future, therefore they are all intrinsically related.

--------------------

OfflineTmethylM
Smear in the shale
 User Gallery

Re: Breaking Down The Present Moment [Re: deCypher]
    #20480697 - 08/26/14 06:30 PM (9 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

SeaShrooms said:
Is quoting a bunch of people writing an article?

They seemed to think so, I labeled it a "compilation".
It's not quoting a bunch of people that was the point, the point was that everyone from Buddha to Jesus to Bruce Lee Henry Ford to Albert Einstein said the same exact thing, just in different words, did you miss that part? :tongue:. Nearly every prominent figure through history and even many moderns ones mention The Present Moment. That was the point.

Quote:

deCypher said:

No, not even close. Nowhere does it say to forget the past, or forget the future, it means to LIVE in the present, in other words do not dwell in imaginary things. Living in the present is the best way to be happy, to be productive and at peace. Forgetting the past, or not acknowledging the future, is just plain ignorant.
Thinking(or learning) of the past and future is not anything like living in the past or future, it seems you completely misunderstood the idea being portrayed my friend. Or rather your ego got the best of you and talked you into an attempt at sensationalizing your heavily polarized opinion.

Quote:

deCypher said:

It's fact that the present is the only real thing there is, it's not a matter of opinion to be debated :lol:
The rest of your post is more sensationalizing a negaitively polarized opinion instead of seeing the point or middleground.

Quote:

deCypher said:

Correct, as already mentioned, the past and future can be learned from, and that is not considered "living" in the past or present.

Quote:

deCypher said:

You've missed the point. The above was never under debate.

--------------------
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

InvisibleWhite Beard

Re: Breaking Down The Present Moment [Re: Tmethyl] * 1
    #20480868 - 08/26/14 07:03 PM (9 years, 6 months ago)

how can someone 'live' in the past/future if there is only the present?

InvisibleIcelander
Male

Re: Breaking Down The Present Moment [Re: White Beard]
    #20480886 - 08/26/14 07:06 PM (9 years, 6 months ago)

:haha:

--------------------

OfflineTmethylM
Smear in the shale
 User Gallery

Re: Breaking Down The Present Moment [Re: Icelander] * 2
    #20480996 - 08/26/14 07:27 PM (9 years, 6 months ago)

Depression(and relatives), is living in the past.
Anxiousness(and relatives), is living in the future.
Quite simple. It all happens in your mind.
We're not talking about literal "living" :lol:

Lao Tzu, writer of the Tao Te Ching:

--------------------
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Offlinefalcon
 User Gallery

#20481059 - 08/26/14 07:40 PM (9 years, 6 months ago)

“I live on Earth at present, and I don’t know what I am. I know that I am not a category. I am not a thing — a noun. I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process – an integral function of the universe.”
― R. Buckminster Fuller

InvisibleWhite Beard

#20481071 - 08/26/14 07:42 PM (9 years, 6 months ago)

I disagree. I experience depression about future events (e.g. this day of work is going to be boring and tedious, I'm going to die one day, etc. etc.)...

Also people can get anxiety from the past... e.g. ptsd

Edited by White Beard (08/26/14 07:53 PM)

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

#20481130 - 08/26/14 07:54 PM (9 years, 6 months ago)

I like most of those quotes, bruce lee is weird.
great work compiling.
I want to sticky this list, how do you do that?

--------------------
:confused: _ :brainfart:🧠  _ :finger:

InvisibleIcelander
Male

#20481269 - 08/26/14 08:24 PM (9 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Tmethyl said:
Depression(and relatives), is living in the past.
Anxiousness(and relatives), is living in the future.
Quite simple. It all happens in your mind.
We're not talking about literal "living" :lol:

Lao Tzu, writer of the Tao Te Ching:

Except that quote isn't accurate.  It may be accurate at times but not always and I speak from experience.

--------------------

OfflineSeaShrooms
The dude
Male User Gallery

Re: Breaking Down The Present Moment [Re: Icelander] * 1
    #20481600 - 08/26/14 09:33 PM (9 years, 6 months ago)

When I'm in jail thinking of the future keeps me from offing a guard, when I'm on the highway hitch-hiking and no one gives me the spare change to eat a fucking dollar menu cheese burger thinking of the past kindness I've been showed keeps me from robbing someone.

--------------------

InvisibleIcelander
Male

Re: Breaking Down The Present Moment [Re: SeaShrooms] * 1
    #20481637 - 08/26/14 09:42 PM (9 years, 6 months ago)

Good examples and they abound.  Most things are never completely black or white.

--------------------

InvisibleRocket

Loc: Land of the Freaks Flag
    #20481673 - 08/26/14 09:49 PM (9 years, 6 months ago)

:smilingpuppy::stoned:

:themoreyouknow:

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

Re: Breaking Down The Present Moment [Re: Rocket]
    #20482744 - 08/27/14 04:25 AM (9 years, 6 months ago)

what's good about it is not how absolutely right it is for all situations for all people, but how many people come up with it as their gift to humanity.

different words for approximately the same  kernel of an idea that does not quite fit in any words at all

--------------------
:confused: _ :brainfart:🧠  _ :finger:

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags, Contam-Resistant All-In-One Grow Bags   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order