Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleTinMan
Stranger

Loc: Russia
Windows Longhorn
    #2040913 - 10/24/03 08:20 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

What do you think of it so far?

Its just a makeover of XP, but its pretty nice and they claim to have new features (filesystem), better networking. The computer I put it on just sits, Longhorn is pointless till the bugs are worked out. Only thing that concerns me is anti-pirating features, if any. This could interfere with my software development... I recall a theme I put on XP that pretty much did nothing the screenshots showed, except for the icons, I like the look and feel AND the fact that they are integrating more into Windows to eliminate a need for third-party software. Hooray for monopolies!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinewindex
old hand
Re: Windows Longhorn [Re: TinMan]
    #2041199 - 10/24/03 11:27 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Yeah, for some reason MS decided to make the interface themable but nothing for letting people actually skin it without replacing system files or running a special 3rd party service. Without it the visual styles wont work.  Oh yeah, and its not free.

The software is from a company called tgtsoft and i believe the name of it is stylexp.

I used an early alpha of longhorn id like to be able to use the sidebar but without a widescreen monitor simply takes up too much space for me, even with a widescreen your simply negating the wideness.  I've only seen screen shots of the latest builds and looks like the "my first" line of toys Sony released a while back (My first Desktop comes to mind) also everything seems to take up a ton of space but is mostly just dead area.

Other then that, unless its an entire re-write (haven't read anything about it), is still based off the NT kernel and software (an upgraded XP, just as 2000 is an upgrade of NT4 and XP is a upgrade of 2000), so its been vulnerable to the same attacks that have occurred and will continue to occur, except that these (I'm guessing, it seems logical) get the  patches diffed directly into the source instead of binary patched.

Longhorn isn't due out till 2005 (last i saw), its also the next time they plan on upgrading IE.  It makes me wonder if even joe-six-pack wont start to think, "damn theres got to be something better then this".  This is linux's chance to catch up, MS obviously doesn't belive it can otherwise wouldn't put things off (at least IE) that long.

Personally my biggest beef with MS is their lack of security (and along with that their lack of caring about security) and closed file formats, mainly documents and spreadsheets.  Although I'm 99% sure there are standards set for these two types, MS has abused their monopoly by changing the formats and closing theme.

And yes using linux as an IT can be viewed as wrong by some groups, give up you know what the hell I mean. :wink: 

InvisibleLe_Canard
The Duk Abides

Loc: Earthfarm 1
Re: Windows Longhorn [Re: TinMan]
    #2046922 - 10/27/03 09:12 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Here's a legit (I think) sneak peak at it, if you're interested. Windows Longhorn

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: Windows Longhorn [Re: Le_Canard]
    #2047215 - 10/27/03 11:35 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Shit with glitter still stinks... if the unix folks can get a good user interface together (sorry, X and it's children just don't cut it for computer newbs like my Mother) and some decent applications going and Micro$hit maybe in for some trouble... one can only hope.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

OfflineGreyGoose25
La Fuerza DelDios
Loc: Ft. Fun, Colorado
Re: Windows Longhorn [Re: Seuss]
    #2053947 - 10/29/03 02:47 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

ya looks the exact same, microsoft should stop worrying about how pretty the desktop appears and invest a little in stability.

--------------------
Why is it that when the batteries are almost out on your remote, you think pressing the buttons harder will make it work?

InvisibleLe_Canard
The Duk Abides

Loc: Earthfarm 1
Re: Windows Longhorn [Re: GreyGoose25]
    #2054929 - 10/29/03 08:35 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

I agree. But I must add that I've been using WinXP for almost a year now, and I've found it to be quite stable. It is based on the NT Kernal, which says a lot.
The question I'm asking is why didn't M$ do this years ago???
foisting the Win9X OS on the public didn't make M$ any friends, to say the least.

Offlinewindex
old hand
Re: Windows Longhorn [Re: Le_Canard]
    #2056539 - 10/30/03 07:58 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

>I agree. But I must add that I've been using WinXP for almost a year now, and I've found it to be quite stable.

Untill you need to do something really high-end (or as my example not so high-end), then you realize damn windows xp just isnt cut out for this.

Example: They switched all the labs over to xp at school, each room has a print server that used to run windows 2000. With XP the load is to great for more then a few people to print at a time, whereas with w2k everyou could send theirs to print at the same time and 2000 wouldnt drop the ball. Now I'm well aware they should have left the print servers with 2k, and their not using the correct tool for the job, but were only talking about 24 systems (all together, for the room) sending queable print jobs. Not exactly a task that needs the latest and greatest (the machine is a p4 1.5g prolly 512 ram) machine to pull off but XP can't cope.

OfflineMadtowntripper
Sun-Beams out of Cucumbers
 User Gallery

Loc: The Ocean of Notions
Re: Windows Longhorn [Re: windex]
    #2056636 - 10/30/03 08:55 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Still remains that for the majority of the population, windows is easier to use than anything else...

--------------------
After one comes, through contact with it's administrators, no longer to cherish greatly the law as a remedy in abuses, then the bottle becomes a sovereign means of direct action.  If you cannot throw it at least you can always drink out of it.  - Ernest Hemingway

If it is life that you feel you are missing I can tell you where to find it.  In the law courts, in business, in government.  There is nothing occurring in the streets. Nothing but a dumbshow composed of the helpless and the impotent.    -Cormac MacCarthy

He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.  - Aeschylus

Invisiblealpiner
goober

Loc: USA
    #2061077 - 10/31/03 03:36 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Seuss said:
Shit with glitter still stinks... if the unix folks can get a good user interface together (sorry, X and it's children just don't cut it for computer newbs like my Mother) and some decent applications going and Micro$hit maybe in for some trouble... one can only hope.

What do you call Aqua?
It is a way better GUI than anything MS ever put out and is why XP got the "cuddley hugable" interface.
The UNIX people are on the boat given that Aqua is a proprietary product dont expect to see it in any non apple products.
if you gotta have user friendly unix go out and get emac or some shit I am a convert from linux so I am not a brain dead mac guy just I love having a stable system that just works and has some of the apps I want too and the iceing on the cake is real unix under the hood ohh ya BSD

OfflineSeussA

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Windows Longhorn [Re: alpiner]
    #2061110 - 10/31/03 03:46 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

> What do you call Aqua?

Water?

> if you gotta have user friendly unix go out and get emac

I am a certified apple technician.  I know what is under the hood and how they work.  Unless apple is willing to port to the PC, which would screw their hardware sales, OS X will go nowhere.  OS X also does not have the application base required for real day to day work... I know, I use both a PC and a iMac every day... if I could drop the !#!ing PC, I would.

> the iceing on the cake is real unix under the hood

I love being able to boot single user, or drop to a terminal window.  Any OS that comes with gcc and ssh are a step ahead in my book.  Apple needs to learn from M$ and play the embrace and destroy game.  Port OSX to PC and include a windows emulator and M$'s days would be numbered... actually, Gates would just buy out apple and  kill the competition as he has with every other company in the past.  :frown:

--------------------

Invisiblealpiner
goober

Loc: USA
    #2061824 - 10/31/03 09:52 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

why in the world would apple port OS X to x86 that would scew them out of the hardware biz and in turn would put them out of the game completely hardware is where they make their money the proprietary software is really just a incentive to buy the hardware
as for application base for most people its way more than required for the home user basicly what I am saying is OS X has a nice UI that is fuctional as it is pretty and for every day use its great for either the not so savy or the just lazy like me
if M$ started to release software that did not need patches and updates constantly or a just started to care about their products and the folks who use them I would not be so critical
if longhorn is makes a a improvement as much as NT 4 did I may take a look at it but given the last bunch of stuff they set free I doubt it

is there any word on security or any spiffy new ideas on keeping those machines running longhorn virus free or at least causing less trouble

Offlinewindex
old hand
Re: Windows Longhorn [Re: alpiner]
    #2061846 - 10/31/03 10:13 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

I'd buy OSX if ported to x86.

Offlinebaraka
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: hyperspace Flag
Re: Windows Longhorn [Re: windex]
    #2078704 - 11/06/03 09:22 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

I use windows cuz the most software is made for it.

XP can sure piss me off at times tho.

--------------------
This is the only time I really feel alive.

OfflineSeussA

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Windows Longhorn [Re: baraka]
    #2080439 - 11/07/03 09:19 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

> I use windows cuz the most software is made for it.

This is the only reason I use Windows.  I struggled for years trying to stick with only Unix, but too many people mail !#$#ing microsoft attachments that I have to be able to read for work.  Things like StarOffice help, but without an application base, people wont switch to a different OS... without people using a different OS, application writers are going to stick with micro$oft.  :frown:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale