Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com APE Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineThatKidWithTheFace
R.I.P. ZIG R.I.P. Sloth
Male

Loc: All Good in Allgood
The Bonsai Thread
    #20393274 - 08/08/14 07:59 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

I'm sure some of y'all have 'em! Let's see 'em!

This is the thread for anything bonsai related! From trees and pots, to viewing stones and accent plants. Post pics, ask questions, anything!

Let's talk Bonsai.

--------------------
Check Out My Beats
SoundCloud

[quote]Sheekle said:
[quote]ThatKidWithTheFace said:
Is this the same aunt that fucks dogs?[/quote]
u bet ur ass it is.[/quote]

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleferrel_human
stone eater
Male User Gallery

Loc: Darkside of the moon Flag
Re: The Bonsai Thread [Re: ThatKidWithTheFace]
    #20393585 - 08/08/14 09:29 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Man my wife went ape shit one time and killed bothe of mine. One juniper one elm. Divorce was a word thrown around. All because of plants. Mainly by me. But I have none. I started the unofficial bonsai thread. :sad:

--------------------
Nature is my church and walking through it is gospel. It tells no lies and reveals all to those who look, and listen, closely.
-Karode

Invisible1234go
#1 Swiftie
 User Gallery

Re: The Bonsai Thread [Re: ferrel_human]
    #20393688 - 08/08/14 09:58 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

ferrel_human said:
Man my wife went ape shit one time and killed bothe of mine. One juniper one elm. Divorce was a word thrown around. All because of plants. Mainly by me. But I have none. I started the unofficial bonsai thread. :sad:

This reoccurring story is a painful one, sorry bro. :feelsbadman:

I've had similar things happen with girlfriends, I just ended up destroying
whatever it was she had going on. Not the most mature way to go about it, but
it got her attention, nonetheless. And then we'd go through the whole "make up procedure". :wink:

Sorry for being off topic OP, and I don't have any bonsai's. :uhoh:

Offlinepeyotillo
Autodidact

Loc: Yurp
Re: The Bonsai Thread [Re: 1234go]
    #20393700 - 08/08/14 10:02 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

All my bonsai died after a year in my care. Supermarket bought ones, i cared them by the book, they died with no apparent cause. Had 3 Ulmus parvifolia and one Sageretia theezans, that is over time. I still do not understand what could have gone wrong.

--------------------
Far above the Moon, planet Earth is blue and there's nothing i can do

Invisiblekarode13Facebook
Tāne Mahuta
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: LV-426
Re: The Bonsai Thread [Re: peyotillo]
    #20393757 - 08/08/14 10:21 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

BANSAI!!  :suicidebomber:

Oh, you mean Bonsai. My bad.

I had one of these up until a few months ago. It was a ficus. Bonsai interests me but I have no real desire to dedicate years to it.

Also, this thread needs a picture.

--------------------

Invisible1234go
#1 Swiftie
 User Gallery

Re: The Bonsai Thread [Re: karode13]
    #20393770 - 08/08/14 10:25 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

karode13 said:
Bonsai interests me but I have no real desire to dedicate years to it.

Also, this thread needs a picture.

:werd:

Invisiblejboredone
Money-The root of all evil....
 User Gallery

Re: The Bonsai Thread [Re: karode13]
    #20393774 - 08/08/14 10:27 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

I have some seeds from a few bonsai trees but never started them...maybe this thread will change that....:strokebeard3:

--------------------
Peace Pot Micro-Dot God Loves You High or Not!!!
In order to grow old and wise, you must once have been young and dumb!

Offlinematt1208
HERBALIST

Loc: in the heavens
Re: The Bonsai Thread [Re: jboredone]
    #20393901 - 08/08/14 11:11 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

i have 2 at the moment, not very old and only one is in a bonsai pot, havent gotten around to buying a pot for the other one just yet

this one is a jacaranda about a year old and needs to be in a pot pretty soon, im in the process of killing aphids on the leaves before i go any further with it

this one is a wisteria which is about 6 months older then the jacarnda and has droped its leaves since its winter here but there are new buds forming branches all over the tree, also a nice side by side image of the two

plan on adding to my collection as i get older, i dont plan on doing anything but watering them and caring for them, the more natural looking the better

--------------------
I AM ZEUS

Invisibleferrel_human
stone eater
Male User Gallery

Re: The Bonsai Thread [Re: matt1208]
    #20394852 - 08/09/14 08:49 AM (9 years, 7 months ago)

I am actually trying to bonsai my chili pepper plant. I already cut most of the branches down. Chili peppers are easy to bonsai but like karode said it takes years of dedication. Quite frankly I wont split thw time with my cacti.

--------------------
Nature is my church and walking through it is gospel. It tells no lies and reveals all to those who look, and listen, closely.
-Karode

OfflineOregonBlueShroom
 User Gallery

Re: The Bonsai Thread [Re: ferrel_human]
    #20394894 - 08/09/14 09:03 AM (9 years, 7 months ago)

i have half dozen or so of bonchi (bonzai chili). they actually dont take years to make since they grow so fast. just keep them pruned and shaped and in a small pot and your good to go. I give mine extra nutrients too.

Here is a bonzai scorpion pepper.. its really not photogenic. It is a beauty in person.

--------------------
Favorite quote: I want to know if they are active and magic or not. And if they are not active, can i pick them before they are active and then they will become active or do they have to grow till they activate?

Invisible1234go
#1 Swiftie
 User Gallery

Re: The Bonsai Thread [Re: OregonBlueShroom]
    #20395052 - 08/09/14 09:54 AM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

OregonBlueShroom said:
its really not photogenic. It is a beauty in person.

Not photogenic? I beg to differ, it's gorgeous!

This is pretty cool, makes me wanna experiment with bonsai knowing
I can just use a quick grow like peppers.

OfflineOregonBlueShroom
 User Gallery

#20395112 - 08/09/14 10:16 AM (9 years, 7 months ago)

I never feel like i can give the perspective the plant deserves with my photography skills. Im much better with mushrooms.

at the end of the outdoor growing season this year, ill probably chop all my outside pepper plants down to 10-12 inch tall, root prune them, put them into smaller pot, put under a flouro ballast indoors and hope some of them survive. This is the best way i can think of to keep them alive over winter, and ive had some success with this before.

it might even be possible to do this with cannabis plants after a harvest to keep the plant alive and forced into veg if done properly and with some luck. although ive never tried this. :strokebeard:

--------------------
Favorite quote: I want to know if they are active and magic or not. And if they are not active, can i pick them before they are active and then they will become active or do they have to grow till they activate?

Invisible1234go
#1 Swiftie
 User Gallery

#20395345 - 08/09/14 11:18 AM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

OregonBlueShroom said:

Im much better with mushrooms.

it might even be possible to do this with cannabis plants after a harvest to keep the plant alive and forced into veg if done properly and with some luck. although ive never tried this. :strokebeard:

I've always been a fan of your signature, the middle picture always
gets me. Are those azurescens?

A friend of mine actually harvested from the same plant about 3-4 times a while back. :thumbup:

OfflineOregonBlueShroom
 User Gallery

#20395371 - 08/09/14 11:26 AM (9 years, 7 months ago)

not sure which picture your referring to. they are from left to right cyan, alenii, cyan, semilanceata, azures, pellis.

to avoid being off topic, here is a bonzai sweet basil. its two plants twisted to form one.

--------------------

Invisible1234go
#1 Swiftie
 User Gallery

#20395446 - 08/09/14 11:44 AM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

OregonBlueShroom said:
not sure which picture your referring to. they are from left to right cyan, alenii, cyan, semilanceata, azures, pellis.

to avoid being off topic, here is a bonzai sweet basil. its two plants twisted to form one.

My bad, there is no middle picture. :lol: I meant the third from the right.

Nice little basil, just so I understand. The basic principle of bonsai is pruning
roots and branches correct? I wanna experiment with some plants i've got around.

Invisibleprismism
 User Gallery

Re: The Bonsai Thread [Re: ThatKidWithTheFace] * 2
    #20395614 - 08/09/14 12:18 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

I started collecting typical bonsai plants at a shop here in Dallas. I have only one still alive from those days years ago. I've since learned from an employee there that they sell them to you in hopes that they die so that people have to keep buying new plants each season. If they set you up for success, and your plant lives for a hundred years, they aren't making much money each year. Some companies even sell you plants that have rocks glued into the pot and covering the surface. The glue is toxic and will kill your plants over time. Shit is fucked up.
Since then I began growing all my plants from seed, that way they recieve the same conditions all of their life. Whereas a plant you buy from the store has gone from the nursery- to the store- then to your home. All of that stresses the plant out and a lot of times they die as a result.
I keep my plants medium to large bonsai, because they are more majestic than tiny miniature bonsai. The art is in the pruning and the training. I used to wire some of my plants to get cool trunks, but have since just let them do their own thing for a more natural look. You can also encourage nebari by planting the tree a little too high out of the soil each time you repot.
Every plant you see here was grown from seed. The succulents were grown from cuttings of other friends plants. Some of them I have photos of when they were tiny seedlings.

This is my Bodi tree, or Ficus religiosa.

Weeping ficus, or Ficus benjamina.

Avocado tree, or Persea americana.

My Jackfruit trees don't seem to like the Texas sun very much. Artocarpus heterophyllus.

Joshua Tree, or Yucca brevifolia.

This is one of my favorite trees in my entire collection. My African Baobab, or Adansonia digitata.

Gollum Jade, or Crassula ovata.

Mini Jade, or Portulacaria afra.

Quiver Tree, or Aloe dichotoma.

Climbing Aloe, or Aloe ciliaris.

This was my first graft ever. I didn't think to make it lower on the stock for some reason, but since then, I've grown to enjoy its oddness. Bridgesii on Pereskiopsis.

Lastly. I bought theses seeds from a shroomery sponsor, so I trusted they would be legitimate. However, the older my Mimosa Hostilis bonsai gets, the more I have the feeling it is not a true Mimosa Hostilis. I still like the plant regardless. The nebari is radical.

--------------------
ephemeral anomalous

R.I.P. ZIG R.I.P. Sloth
Male

#20395621 - 08/09/14 12:20 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

1234go said:
Quote:

OregonBlueShroom said:

My bad, there is no middle picture. :lol: I meant the third from the right.

Nice little basil, just so I understand. The basic principle of bonsai is pruning
roots and branches correct? I wanna experiment with some plants i've got around.

In a sense, yes. You also use wire to train and shape the tree.

But it's also about display. After you get your plant doing it's thing, you put it in a bonsai pot. Then you can display it on a stand with accent plants, scrolls, viewing stones, etc.

Of course, that's an over-simplified way to explain it. I'm sure someone with more knowledge will expand on it.

--------------------
Check Out My Beats
SoundCloud

[quote]Sheekle said:

R.I.P. ZIG R.I.P. Sloth
Male

#20395638 - 08/09/14 12:25 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Beautiful plants, Prism!

--------------------
Check Out My Beats
SoundCloud

[quote]Sheekle said:

Invisibleprismism
 User Gallery

#20395706 - 08/09/14 12:45 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Faster growing plant species make for great bonsai practice. :]

--------------------
ephemeral anomalous

Invisibleferrel_human
stone eater
Male User Gallery

Re: The Bonsai Thread [Re: prismism]
    #20395712 - 08/09/14 12:47 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

prismism said:
Faster growing plant species make for great bonsai practice. :]

Dawwww, I love this one. :bashful:

--------------------
-Karode

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com APE Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals