Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineZahid
Stranger
Bush Plays Politics with 9/11/01
    #2037239 - 10/23/03 05:59 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

White House Plays Politics on Probe of 9/11

By Marie KoKo - October 21, 2003

The Bush re-election team should get precisely what it wants. A presidential campaign that centers on Sept. 11, 2001.

This is what the White House had in mind when it decided to hold the 2004 Republican National Convention in New York City. This is why the convention is scheduled so late in the summer - later than any nominating session in the party's history. The grand finale, President George W. Bush's acceptance speech, is set for Sept. 2.

Bush's team wants the ceremonial start of the president's re-election campaign to merge in the public mind with the ceremonial commemoration of the third anniversary of the attacks that killed some 3,000 people and left a hole in the city's heart.

Republicans fully intend to politicize the anniversary. So they cannot legitimately complain if the national commission empowered to investigate the 9/11 attacks asks for more time to do its work. That's more time that would, by necessity, take the inquiry deep into the political season.

The National Commission on Terrorist Attacks Upon the United States has issued three major statements on its progress. All have said the Bush administration is impeding its work by stalling the production of documents needed to probe the worst attack on America since Pearl Harbor.

Last week, the commission issued its first subpoena, to the Federal Aviation Administration. The FAA had failed to turn over information related to the tracking of the hijacked airliners that morning, as well as its interaction with a defense unit that is supposed to have protected our airspace.

Days before issuing the FAA subpoena, the 9/11 panel had complained that the CIA and the Defense Department still had not turned over "the key policy documents." The White House, despite repeated public admonitions, still constricts the commission's access to sensitive information.

Some White House documents still aren't being provided. The commissioners must settle for hearing the White House staff brief them about their contents. We are to assume the briefings are done in good faith.

"We want to express our growing concern about whether delays such as that we have encountered at the FAA will prevent the commission from completing its work and issuing its report within the time frame set by statute," the panel said in a statement.

The statute calls for the commission to go out of existence in May. The date was set at White House insistence. Having failed at its first mission - to prevent Congress from ordering an independent probe at all - the Bush administration demanded that it have a brief life span. May was the chosen closing date because that would mean an investigative report, with its potentially embarrassing detail, would come out before the heat of the presidential campaign.

The repeated and now predictable statements from the commission about barriers to its work lead to only one conclusion. The administration strategy is to run out the clock.

"We begged for two years," said Lorie Van Auken of East Brunswick, N.J. Van Auken's husband, Kenneth, perished in the Twin Towers. "They said no, 18 months. Their reasoning had to do with elections."

Now the commission must decide if it wants to do a good job or a rush job.

The belated handing over of tapes and other communications between the FAA and the North American Aerospace Defense Command is likely to provoke more questions that beg answers. That is how it goes in investigations. New leads point to new paths that must be pursued.

The commission will fail if it does not have the time and the money to do its job right. It hints, already, at this possibility.

Congress will fail if it is eventually asked to provide these and refuses. The president will fail if he uses the weight of his office to stanch an inquiry that seems thus far to have been conducted without the usual partisan poison.

The failure of Sept. 11, 2001 was a failure of intelligence and counter-terrorism policy. These were compounded by a failure that day to defend against attack.

Now we contemplate compounding these derelictions because of a political equation that puts the pursuit of office above the necessary pursuit of fact. If we accept this calculation, we will fail ourselves.

Email: cocco@newsday.com

Copyright ? 2003, Newsday, Inc.

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Loc: Dominican Republic
Re: Bush Plays Politics with 9/11/01 [Re: Zahid]
    #2037274 - 10/23/03 06:08 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Zahid, please don't take this the wrong way...

...but do you have any ideas of your own? It seems lately you have been on a kick of posting in their entirety half a dozen or so articles each day -- 27 of them in the last five days -- with no comments.

This forum is supposed to be for discussion -- it was not designed to be a newspaper.

I have no problem with the occasional article being posted, but don't you think this is taking things just a bit too far?

pinky

--------------------

OfflineZahid
Stranger
Re: Bush Plays Politics with 9/11/01 [Re: Phred]
    #2037345 - 10/23/03 06:26 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Not at all. Alot of people enjoy my posts; and alot of the time these articles are not brought into the lime 'light. Look at my threads, I almost always jump in the conversation if it has momentum, and my posts in PA&L are definately not confined to copying/pasting articles and walking away from them. Given that, for the past 2 years that I've been at the Shroomery I've been overly inactive until about a month ago when I got a laptop, so now I've been posting more frequently. Besides, somebody's got to be on the ball, so try to take my articles with a grain of salt because I'm not a fan of the Right - I appreciate the fact that there's an abundance of 'lefty' articles (that is to say, articles that evidently serve liberals) published on a daily basis in news organizations everywhere/worldwide. If the majority of the people here want me to shut up, I will gladly do so; but so far my article posting has earned me nothing but 5 shrooms'.

Peace.

--------------------

Edited by Zahid (10/23/03 07:14 PM)

OfflineZahid
Stranger
    #2037418 - 10/23/03 06:41 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

And in all fairness I do bold the headers and add the images myself.  :tongue2: 

--------------------

OfflineSquattingMarmot
Inquiring Mind
    #2037573 - 10/23/03 07:29 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

To be fair, wingnutx does the same thing at times. He posts quite a few articles and only jumps in if other people respond to it. Other people do it too, I don't think its such a big deal.

And now to the topic at hand,

WTF!??!?!!?!?!? :eek:

There are some things that should not be politicized, no matter how damaging they could be to your "reputation". They should be allowed to finish their job. This is the kind of stuff that sickens me most about BushCo. 

--------------------
"In the United States anybody can be president. Thats the problem."

"The gray-haired douche bag, Barbara Bush, has a slogan: "Encourage your child to read every day." What she should be is encouraging children to question what they read every day."

- George Carlin

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Re: Bush Plays Politics with 9/11/01 [Re: SquattingMarmot]
    #2037617 - 10/23/03 07:45 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Yeah, I know. Edame is another one.

Heck, everyone does it from time to time. I have done it myself on occasion.

As I said, I don't mind the occasional post of an entire article with no commentary from the member posting. Sometimes a well-written op-ed piece is such a gem that it deserves to be left to stand on its own. I just couldn't help but notice that lately that is all Zahid is doing, and doing quite a lot of it at that.

I feel that this is a board for political discussion, not the current affairs clearing desk at Reuters.

pinky

--------------------

OfflineLearyfanS
It's the psychedelic movement!
Male User Gallery

Loc: High pride!
    #2037642 - 10/23/03 07:52 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

If the people were exposed to the truth, 9-11 would be the last thing Bush would want to mention during his re-election campain.

--------------------
--------------------------------

Mp3 of the month:  Sons Of Adam - Feathered Fish

Invisibleafoaf
CEO DBK?
 User Gallery

Loc: Ripple's Heart
Re: Bush Plays Politics with 9/11/01 [Re: Learyfan]
    #2037722 - 10/23/03 08:13 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

outrage

--------------------
All I know is The Growery is a place where losers who get banned here go.

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
Re: Bush Plays Politics with 9/11/01 [Re: Learyfan]
    #2037746 - 10/23/03 08:18 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Bush knew.

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

OfflineLearyfanS
Male User Gallery

Re: Bush Plays Politics with 9/11/01 [Re: silversoul7]
    #2037789 - 10/23/03 08:26 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

--------------------

OfflineLearyfanS
Male User Gallery

Re: Bush Plays Politics with 9/11/01 [Re: silversoul7]
    #2037866 - 10/23/03 08:42 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

--------------------

OfflineZahid
Stranger
    #2037890 - 10/23/03 08:48 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

If you feel that way pink, that's fine. I don't see how posting articles is aversive of 'discussion' as you put it - the articles prompt discussion, the way I see it; so I will continue to post them, unless yourself (and you are indisputably Right leaning) wish to have me tone down a bit...that is your prerogative. My articles don't cause a disturbance, so why denunciate them?

Peace,

Zaheed. News you can trust  :tongue2:

--------------------

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

#2037970 - 10/23/03 09:07 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Hey, I'm not the boss, I'm a moderator. The articles are political, so I can't object to them. It's true I find them pretty much all of a kind and not particularly well written or insightful, but that's just me. It's just that few of them seem to trigger much discussion anyway, do they?

I brought it to your attention partly because I wasn't sure you yourself were aware of the rut you had fallen into. I know you have your own opinions and your own thoughts on things -- why not express them rather than just cutting and pasting the words of others?

If you're comfortable being a mere cut-and-paster, so be it. I'm just challenging you to voice your own opinions.

pinky

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies