Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Injection Grain Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineDpRwav
Flesh Vehicle
Male

Hawaii Bans GMO * 5
    #20215257 - 07/02/14 02:06 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/4395521/

HONOLULU -- Mayor Billy Kenoi signed Bill 113 into law on Thursday, prohibiting biotech companies from operating on the Big Island and banning farmers from growing any new genetically altered crops.

The bill exempts the island’s GMO papaya industry.

Kenoi said that the new law signals the county’s desire to encourage community-based farming and ranching, as opposed to playing host to global agribusiness corporations in a letter to council members announcing his decision to sign the bill.

None of the biotech companies that have taken up root in Hawaii in recent years, such as Monsanto, Syngenta and Pioneer, operate on Big Island. The new law makes sure that remains the case.

"Our community has a deep connection and respect for our land, and we all understand we must protect our island and preserve our precious natural resources," Kenoi wrote to council members. "We are determined to do what is right for the land because this place is unlike any other in the world."

Kenoi said debate over the bill at times grew “divisive and hurtful” and that some of the island’s farmers have been “treated disrespectfully.” He urged community healing.

"We are determined to reunite our farming community to create a stronger and more vibrant agricultural sector," he wrote. "It is time to end the angry rhetoric and reach out to our neighbors."

The majority of Hawaii’s farming industry opposed the bill.

Passage of the Big Island bill comes just weeks after Kauai passed its own law relating to GMO and pesticide disclosure. A bill similar to Kauai’s law is expected to be introduced in the Maui County Council on Friday.

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineBeanhead
IS IRONIC PARADOX
 User Gallery

Loc: Geospatial inversion.
Re: Hawaii Bans GMO [Re: DpRwav]
    #20215294 - 07/02/14 02:26 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

Good job hawaii

They're trying to get them into Europe. I'm glad our food laws are too strict here for it even make a chance.

Offlinepsyconaught
Chemical Connoisseur

Re: Hawaii Bans GMO [Re: Beanhead] * 3
    #20215475 - 07/02/14 03:26 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

This sucks, I'd hate to see the anti gmo movement take hold here in america like it has in europe.

--------------------
Think for yourself, question authority

OfflineAlan RockefellerM
Mycologist
Male User Gallery
Re: Hawaii Bans GMO (moved) [Re: DpRwav]
    #20215549 - 07/02/14 03:40 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

This thread was moved from Shroomery News Service.

Reason:
Not drug or mushroom related.

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?
 User Gallery

Loc: Lost In Space
Re: Hawaii Bans GMO [Re: psyconaught] * 2
    #20215561 - 07/02/14 03:43 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

psyconaught said:
This sucks, I'd hate to see the anti gmo movement take hold here in america like it has in europe.

I'd rather not have GMO's here in America. We aren't clever enough by half to know the possible consequences.

I know we have some. I know they won't go away. I'd rather eat food that hasn't been tweaked.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

Offlinepsyconaught
Chemical Connoisseur

Re: Hawaii Bans GMO [Re: luvdemshrooms] * 3
    #20215659 - 07/02/14 04:16 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

I'd rather not have GMO's here in America

Quote:

I'd rather eat food that hasn't been tweaked.

These are very different statements. If you do not want to eat GMO's you are free to do so. However I do not think banning others from consuming them should be done. Labeling is one thing, I support that. Also if we banned GMO's worldwide millions (billions possibly) would potentially die.

--------------------

OfflineStellaMagnolia
Good Vibes Fairy

Loc: The Vibe Tribe
Re: Hawaii Bans GMO [Re: psyconaught]
    #20215668 - 07/02/14 04:18 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

Finally

--------------------

OfflineBeanhead
IS IRONIC PARADOX
 User Gallery

#20215675 - 07/02/14 04:20 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

psyconaught said:
Quote:

Quote:

These are very different statements. If you do not want to eat GMO's you are free to do so. However I do not think banning others from consuming them should be done. Labeling is one thing, I support that. Also if we banned GMO's worldwide millions (billions possibly) would potentially die.

I'd rather not make one pocket fatter =)

but hey they're all up in the senate, not like you even have the choice :lolsy:

Offlinepsyconaught
Chemical Connoisseur

Re: Hawaii Bans GMO [Re: Beanhead]
    #20215705 - 07/02/14 04:27 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

but hey they're all up in the senate, not like you even have the choice

Its obvious the companies are already writing the bills
Quote:

--------------------

OfflineBeanhead
IS IRONIC PARADOX
 User Gallery

#20215731 - 07/02/14 04:37 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

Hence I don't feel the need to accept one company that patents a plant farmed by the whole world :strokebeard:

Offlinepsyconaught
Chemical Connoisseur

Re: Hawaii Bans GMO [Re: Beanhead]
    #20215802 - 07/02/14 05:02 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

you don't have to accept monsantos patented seeds. I don't see why you believe you do.

--------------------

Offlinehushmush

Re: Hawaii Bans GMO [Re: psyconaught] * 1
    #20215878 - 07/02/14 05:22 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

You do have to accept Monsanto seeds if your a farmer.  They will sue you for patient infringement when your neighbors gmo pollen blows on to your non gmo crops.  Also how is it good for humans that gmo corn produces it's own pesticide within the corn kernel.

OfflineMarch Hare
Stranger

Re: Hawaii Bans GMO [Re: hushmush]
    #20215886 - 07/02/14 05:27 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

hushmush said:
You do have to accept Monsanto seeds if your a farmer.  They will sue you for patient infringement when your neighbors gmo pollen blows on to your non gmo crops.  Also how is it good for humans that gmo corn produces it's own pesticide within the corn kernel.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2012/10/18/163034053/top-five-myths-of-genetically-modified-seeds-busted

--------------------

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?
 User Gallery

Loc: Lost In Space
    #20215926 - 07/02/14 05:40 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

psyconaught said:
Quote:

Quote:

Yup. That's one potential outcome. You do realize there are others?

When we're smart enough to be able to foresee them, I'd change my stance.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

OfflineBeanhead
IS IRONIC PARADOX
 User Gallery

#20216104 - 07/02/14 06:16 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

psyconaught said:
you don't have to accept monsantos patented seeds. I don't see why you believe you do.

All the bills they're trying to push.

Not yet, no, they want to though.

Offlinehushmush

Re: Hawaii Bans GMO [Re: March Hare]
    #20216109 - 07/02/14 06:18 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

Pull the blind fold off...Monsanto has sued hundreds of farmers and settled more then 700 cases out of court related to patent infringement.  And your npr article doesn't have the whole story.  Yes Monsanto said they wouldn't sue anyone with trace amounts of their patented plants on their farms.  But trace amounts are defined by less then 1% of your total crop.  Many farms have had to stop growing crops that have been turned in to gmo crops cause you can't stop the gmo traits from getting into non gmo crops due to cross contamination thus you never can have completely non gmo seeds again.

OfflineBeanhead
IS IRONIC PARADOX
 User Gallery

Re: Hawaii Bans GMO [Re: hushmush]
    #20216130 - 07/02/14 06:23 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

^Not that i'm really against the idea but it should be public open knowledge. There's too much research that still needs to be done.

I was enthralled by the idea of Eugenics untill

"Take sickle cell anemia. It can lead to horrid disease, but saves many lives because of reduced susceptibility vs malaria.  So what do we do?  Remove the sickle cell gene worldwide and accept increased malaria deaths? REmove them only in temerate regions but at the same time put the offsprining well into the future at risk when they move to the tropics? Or just let it be? If we remove all instances of a gene its gone 500,000 years from now too. Maybe that prevents SCA genes mutating into a harmless ful immunity vs malaria, and maybe by that time malaria is everywhere."

Who knows what happens when we change genes, I can't make an educated guess but they're not to keen on releasing anything either...

Offlinepsyconaught
Chemical Connoisseur

Re: Hawaii Bans GMO [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #20217212 - 07/02/14 10:50 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

luvdemshrooms said:
Quote:

psyconaught said:
Quote:

Quote:

Yup. That's one potential outcome. You do realize there are others?

When we're smart enough to be able to foresee them, I'd change my stance.

maybe you're not smart enough, but others are.

--------------------

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension Flag
Re: Hawaii Bans GMO [Re: psyconaught] * 2
    #20217254 - 07/02/14 11:03 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

psyconaught said:
Quote:

Quote:

Do you have evidence to support that BS claim?

http://blogs.prevention.com/inspired-bites/2014/03/02/usda-food-waste-report-busts-gmo-myth/
http://www.chewswise.com/chews/2011/03/the-9-billion-population-red-herring-and-gmos.html
http://www.grain.org/article/entries/4720-gmos-fooling-er-feeding-the-world-for-20-years
http://www.rodalenews.com/gmo-myths

Quote:

GMOs feed more people – Contrary to what the biotech giants say on their industry sponsored websites, GMO crops do not produce greater yields. A 2009 report from the Union of Concerned Scientists demonstrated that GMO soybeans and corn produced almost no increase in intrinsic yields over conventionally produced soybeans and corn. But even if future improvements were able to increase yields, a 2008 study showed that organic farming using little or no pesticides and chemical fertilizers was able to increase yields by 116%.  But there is no money to be made for the international agri- chemical companies by citing that research.  The public continues to be told that GMOs, which do not increase yields, are necessary to end world hunger. 

The problem with world hunger is not the amount of food we have or don't have. We have more than enough food to feed the entire world, before GMOs. The problem is distribution.

--------------------

InvisiblePrisoner#1
Even Dumber ThanAdvertized!
 User Gallery

Loc: Pvt. Pubfag NutSuck
Re: Hawaii Bans GMO [Re: DpRwav]
    #20217257 - 07/02/14 11:04 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

ac1dHeaD said:

really? so they arent about saving the land or safeguarding health,
they're about stopping competitors that they havent invested in

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Injection Grain Bag