Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisiblePsiloKitten
Ganja Goddess

General Boykin on on God, Islam and America
    #2013360 - 10/15/03 11:52 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

http://www.msnbc.com/news/980764.asp?0cv=CB10

HE?S A HIGHLY decorated officer, twice wounded in combat ? a warrior?s warrior.
The former commander of Army Special Forces, Lt. Gen. William ?Jerry? Boykin has led or been part of almost every recent U.S. military operation, from the ill-fated attempt to rescue hostages in Iran to Grenada, Panama, Colombia, Somalia.
This summer, Boykin was promoted to deputy undersecretary of defense, with a new mission for which many say he is uniquely qualified: to aggressively combine intelligence with special operations and hunt down so-called high-value terrorist targets including bin Laden and Saddam.
But that new assignment may be complicated by controversial views Boykin ? an evangelical Christian ? has expressed in dozens of speeches at churches and prayer breakfasts around the country. In a half-dozen video and audiotapes obtained by NBC News, Boykin says America?s true enemy is not bin Laden.
In June 2003, Boykin spoke to a church group over a slide show:

?Well, is he [bin Laden] the enemy? Next slide. Or is this man [Saddam] the enemy? The enemy is none of these people I have showed you here. The enemy is a spiritual enemy. He?s called the principality of darkness. The enemy is a guy called Satan.?
Why are terrorists out to destroy the United States? Boykin said: ?They?re after us because we?re a Christian nation.?
NBC News military analyst Bill Arkin, who?s been investigating Boykin for the Los Angeles Times, says the general casts the war on terror as a religious war: ?I think that it is not only at odds with what the president believes, but it is a dangerous, extreme and pernicious view that really has no place.?
During a January church speech in Daytona, Fla., Boykin recalled a Muslim fighter in Somalia who bragged on television the Americans would never get him because his God, Allah, would protect him: ?Well, you know what I knew, that my God was bigger than his. I knew that my God was a real God, and his was an idol.?
The Somali was captured, and Boykin said he told the man: ?Mr. Atto, you underestimated our God.?
In a phone conversation, Boykin tells NBC he respects Muslims and believes the radicals who attack America are ?not true followers of Islam.?
Boykin also routinely tells audiences that God, not the voters, chose President Bush: ?Why is this man in the White House? The majority of Americans did not vote for him. Why is he there? And I tell you this morning that he?s in the White House because God put him there for a time such as this.?
Boykin tells NBC News that, given his new assignment, he is curtailing such speeches in the future. He says, ?I don?t want ? to be misconstrued. I don?t want to come across as a right-wing radical.?

...snip

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Anonymous

Re: General Boykin on on God, Islam and America [Re: PsiloKitten]
    #2014408 - 10/16/03 11:52 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

?Well, you know what I knew, that my God was bigger than his. I knew that my God was a real God, and his was an idol.?

perhaps this isn't really a dig on islam, and maybe what he's meaning to say is that atto wasn't a true believer in God\Allah... maybe he doesn't distinguish (as he shouldn't) between the god of the christians and the god of the true muslims, and he's not saying that christians are any better than muslims... maybe he just means that mr. atto is not a true muslim.

Boykin tells NBC he respects Muslims and believes the radicals who attack America are ?not true followers of Islam.?

does seem like a possibility.

.... still rather creepy.

and doesn't really explain: ?They?re after us because we?re a Christian nation.?

:thumbdown:

Invisiblewingnutx

#2014438 - 10/16/03 12:05 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

This was on here a few months ago. What do you expect from a guy giving a talk to a church group?

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada
Re: General Boykin on on God, Islam and America [Re: wingnutx]
    #2014772 - 10/16/03 01:38 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Well, the guy is still as fucked up as any terrorist.

--------------------
"I have no valid complaint against hustlers. No rational bitch. But the act of selling is repulsive to me. I harbor a secret urge to whack a salesman in the face, crack his teeth and put red bumps around his eyes." -Hunter S Thompson
http://phluck.is-after.us

InvisiblePsiloKitten
Ganja Goddess

#2015085 - 10/16/03 03:06 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

And?

This is a current article.

Would it make you feel better if I linked the old thread too?

Here you go

--------------------

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Loc: Dominican Republic
Re: General Boykin on on God, Islam and America [Re: Phluck]
    #2015507 - 10/16/03 04:51 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Phluck writes:

Well, the guy is still as fucked up as any terrorist.

How so?

pinky

--------------------

OfflineZahid
Stranger
Re: General Boykin on on God, Islam and America [Re: ]
    #2015758 - 10/16/03 06:11 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

perhaps this isn't really a dig on islam, and maybe what he's meaning to say is that atto wasn't a true believer in God\Allah... maybe he doesn't distinguish (as he shouldn't) between the god of the christians and the god of the true muslims, and he's not saying that christians are any better than muslims... maybe he just means that mr. atto is not a true muslim.

When you're that far out there in right field 'Jesus is the Only Way'. I don't think any Conservative Christians believe Islam follows the same God as the Judeo-Christian one. It's a typical trait of pretentious right-wing religious assholes.

--------------------

Offlinemonoamine
umask 077(nonefor you)

Loc: Jacksonville,FL
Re: General Boykin on on God, Islam and America [Re: Zahid]
    #2015777 - 10/16/03 06:16 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

I agree. He basically said "fuck off Muslims,Christianity is the only true religion".

Hooray for fundalmentists and the Crusades part 37. :thumbdown: 

--------------------
People think that if you just say the word "hallucinations" it explains everything you want it to explain and eventually whatever it is you can't explain will just go away.It's just a word,it doesn't explain anything...
Douglas Adams

OfflineEchoVortex
(hard) member
    #2025138 - 10/20/03 10:42 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

"My God is bigger than your God"?

This administration puts a guy with the maturity of a nine-year-old in charge of hunting down Saddam and Osama. Fucking brilliant!

I see we'll be waiting a long time before either of them is brought to justice.

Invisiblewingnutx

Re: General Boykin on on God, Islam and America [Re: EchoVortex]
    #2025241 - 10/20/03 11:13 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Again, what do you expect from a talk to a church group? People belong to a religion because they believe it to be the truth.

BTW, read the guy's bio, then tell me about his level of competence. I have a dim view of religion in general, but being religious does not in any way mean that a person in not smart, mature, or competent. Boykin is exactly the man for his job.

OfflineEchoVortex
(hard) member
    #2025309 - 10/20/03 11:31 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

First of all, he should have had the good sense not to give a talk like that in the first place. And he certainly shouldn't have done anything like that in uniform, during which time he is a representative of the United States Army and everything he says carries near-official weight.

Second, anybody who goes after terrorists must be able to understand their mindset in order to try to predict what their next move is going to be. This guy obviously has no understanding whatsoever of Islam, Arab language and culture, or the Middle East.

Third, I have looked at his bio. He held mission-critical positions on a number of failed or disasterous operations in Iran (hostage rescue fiasco), Colombia, and Somalia. That, of course, inspires confidence.

Fourth, being a religious fundamentalist and saying things like George W. Bush is in the White House "because God put him there" is different from merely being religious. It's a sign of massive intellectual deficits, by definition

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale