Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineBizzle123
Trying to bepatient

Please help! bugs in the terrarium
    #2011258 - 10/15/03 12:03 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

My friend has a perlite terrarium with a bottle of water/air stones/air pump for extra RH. Recently he has noticed some very small black bugs flying around in there.

What should he do?

Also is there any way to delay the onset of green mold on cakes that have been fruiting for a while (few weeks)?

Thanks.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleMagash
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Loc: Near Hilo
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Please help! bugs in the terrarium [Re: Bizzle123]
    #2011358 - 10/15/03 01:31 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

As far as the bugs can't help ya sorry.

With the mold if conditions are bad enough that you expect green mold spray the inside of the chamber down with a H202 water mix.

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

Offlinethisone
the one theydon't see

Re: Please help! bugs in the terrarium [Re: Magash]
    #2012069 - 10/15/03 05:04 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

get any cake with green out of there. Take all your cakes out bleach, your chamber. Move to another room. Bug bomb your grow room. Place cakes back in chamber after bugs are gone. Make sure you have a good seal on fruiting chamber just in case those little buggers come back. Good luck!

--------------------
Everything written above this line is completely false. I am terribly bored and write here to pass time. I do not participate or support any illegal activity.

InvisibleMycomancer
Psi Cubed
 User Gallery

Loc: United States
    #2013589 - 10/16/03 01:32 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Your friend should invest in some venus fly traps. They love the humidity, will help in air exchange, and will reduce your bug problem.
Despite common misconception, they are easy to care for and will thrive in the fruiting chamber environment.

Mycomancer

InvisibleTremor1127
Mental Member
Male

Loc: In a Van Down By the Rive...
Post deleted by Administrator [Re: Mycomancer]
    #2013599 - 10/16/03 01:37 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

InvisibleMycomancer
Psi Cubed
 User Gallery

Re: Please help! bugs in the terrarium [Re: Tremor1127]
    #2013654 - 10/16/03 02:19 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

The vft's take up very little room, and their traps emit a scent that attracts insects, helping to draw the buggies from the cakes/casings. Just give them space [between the cakes/casings and the vft's] and you'll be fine. People have often added small plants to their fruiting chambers for co2 reduction, vft's have the added benefits of eating bugs, and generally looking cool. Do an internet search for a VFT care sheet and you'll avoid common mistakes that kill them off.

mycomancer

InvisibleMagash
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Loc: Near Hilo
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Please help! bugs in the terrarium [Re: Mycomancer]
    #2013761 - 10/16/03 03:40 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

I believe the flys he?s talking about are fungus knats. I believe they are to small and light to set off the trigger hair in a VFT.

But I have to admit VFT are pretty fucken cool

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

InvisibleMycomancer
Psi Cubed
 User Gallery

Re: Please help! bugs in the terrarium [Re: Magash]
    #2014403 - 10/16/03 11:49 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

VFT's will trap fruit flies, so with the fungus gnat being 1/8" to 1/4" they seem to be just right. The traps are small and need to trap small insects. There are 6 trigger hairs per trap (3 on each lobe) and it only needs 2 seperate trigger hairs to be tripped, or one tripped a few times and trap can close in upto 1/30th of a second under optimal conditions. I have never had fungus gnats, but I have seen fruit fly left overs in my traps, so it seems to me that they'd have no problem with the fungus gnats.

mycomancer

Offlineshwowsh
growologist

Loc: Deep in the Heart...
Re: Please help! bugs in the terrarium [Re: Mycomancer]
    #2015179 - 10/16/03 03:29 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

what If I put my tarantula in my grow terrarium? could that work? I never would, because I imagine he'd web all over them, and it would be a real bitch come harvest time when I got get my hands in there. He's fiesty!

--------------------
-------------------------------------------------
We're all children here, so could we please start acting like it?

Offlineshirley knott
not my real name
 User Gallery
Loc: London Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Please help! bugs in the terrarium [Re: shwowsh]
    #2015447 - 10/16/03 04:37 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

:lol: perhaps a gecko would enjoy it in there for a while  :lol:

(joking) 

--------------------
buh

Invisiblepsilomonkey
Twisted brainwrong of a oneoff man mental

Loc: Airstrip One
Re: Please help! bugs in the terrarium [Re: shirley knott]
    #2015459 - 10/16/03 04:43 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

I would use chemical warfare, I know it does not sound very safe, but if you get some fly spray. Spray it on a piece of cloth hand hang it inside the terrarium for an hour or 2 that should get he bastards. Fly spray is like nerve gas to insects. Don't spray inside the terrarium.

InvisibleImOver18
FormerlyMr.Sleep

Re: Please help! bugs in the terrarium [Re: psilomonkey]
    #2015543 - 10/16/03 05:03 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

I'd imagine if you keep a clean house this shouldn't be an issue. I read about bugs and contams and shit but my house is spotless, and I've never had one single contam problem or bug problem. Idk why, I've left fruiting chambers with casings in their 5th flush alone open for over a half hour and never had a problem. So my advice is to clean your house or better PC your substrate to make sure everything is dead and sterile.

Invisiblepsilomonkey
Twisted brainwrong of a oneoff man mental

Loc: Airstrip One
Re: Please help! bugs in the terrarium [Re: ImOver18]
    #2015553 - 10/16/03 05:08 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Contams come from many places, I have heard of having massive contam problems from things like living near a pond, or down wind of a wheat field. Its not just slobs that get contams :smile:

InvisibleMycomancer
Psi Cubed
 User Gallery

#2016649 - 10/16/03 10:44 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Bizzle, perhaps your friend could work some flypaper into the design. Perhaps hang it horizontally. I'm willing to bet that they will work on more than just houseflies, plus it's a simpler solution then having to care for a VFT at the same time.

mycomancer

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix