Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Amanita Muscaria Store Amanita Extract   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineAjoc
stranger ...than youthink
Loc: Southampton, UK
Amanita Preparation
    #2002570 - 10/12/03 01:58 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Ok...I recently picked a bunch of amanita muscarias and want to try them sometime but not yet (don't feel I know enough), but I need to preserve them.

They are currently drying out in my friends airing cupboard, but I hear of people using ovens...does this dry them better? Is the extra heat required to convert the toxin? One person I spoke to on here said the oven technique was rubbish...just tyring to get more opinions.

I am mainly worried about the airing cupboard not being hot enough for the conversion reaction and then going on to eat poison and just puking all night.

Please feel free to suggest any favourite methods which aren't too cost intensive, too, if you think they'll help.

Also, I hear rumours that you can "Only eat the red skin" or "just the white bits on the skin" or "Not the white bits" etc. Any truth in this? I haven't found anything online in particular about it, just people I have met (although they might be wrong and just tyring to sound knowledgeable!).

Edited by Ajoc (10/12/03 02:03 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineShamanSean
the MilitantMind

Loc: CA, USA, the Bay Area
Re: Amanita Preparation [Re: Ajoc]
    #2002780 - 10/12/03 03:35 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

ive done them b4
yea dry them in an oven at like 140 degrees with the oven door open a bit.

--------------------
"So take my advice and dont quit. Cuz if u do, you wont get shit - bitch! "

-Too Short

OfflineAjoc
Re: Amanita Preparation [Re: ShamanSean]
    #2002896 - 10/12/03 04:29 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Yeh, but what I was asking is, is the oven REQUIRED to convert the toxin, or will they be ok just drying out in an airing cupboard?

OfflineRedstorm
Prince of Bugs
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #2003533 - 10/12/03 08:41 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Make sure you have the correct variety of Amanita. Check out pics on erowid to make sure you have the right type. We don't need anyone dying around here.

~Peace

OfflineAjoc
Re: Amanita Preparation [Re: Redstorm]
    #2004488 - 10/13/03 03:23 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Thanks for your concern for my health  :tongue:.

But yeh I wouldn't be asking this if I hadn't got them identified, but I posted them on the Hunting board and they're good to go. They're the dark red capped ones...

So no one got any better ideas on preparation? The net is surprisingly void of it, apart from the same couple of stories which appear on many sites...

Anonymous

#2004494 - 10/13/03 03:35 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

id assume the airing cupboard would be fine, when its dry you have to boil it in milk apparently as this sucks out toxins and shit, after that its safe. There prob is more to it than that but thats all i know, i dont think im eve gonna be lucky enough to find one so i never really read up on it. By the way can you find them in n ireland?
I can always hope.

OfflineAjoc
Re: Amanita Preparation [Re: ]
    #2004676 - 10/13/03 07:36 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

I am pretty certain they grow just about everywhere. If they grow in england (where I found them totally per chance) I don't see why they wouldn't in Ireland. I found mine in a marshy wooded area...

Can anyone verify the milk thing? I haven't heard it before and seems odd...I did read about drinking Thistle Milk (i think thats what it's called) to neutralise possible liver toxins (alkaloids??)...and perhaps save you from death caps (best to get them Identified first though).

I have a friend who does chemical tasting for extra cash and he said he would try some first, as he is used to dodgy reactions. Bit of a psycho if you ask me, but I doubt his life is on the line just from eating a dried cap.

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
    #2004685 - 10/13/03 07:49 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

>So no one got any better ideas on preparation? The net is surprisingly void of it

Really?

Read http://www.shroomery.org/index/par/23629

OfflineSin Bad
Mushroom Man

Loc: Japan
Re: Amanita Preparation [Re: Anno]
    #2004702 - 10/13/03 08:09 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

You can dry either in the oven or in the airing cupboard. I find that it is important to dry them quickly or they go mouldy. As far as I understand, the temperature is not important in converting the ibotenic acid to muscimol, which is reported to be 5-10 times more potent as a pyschoactive compound.

As far as "putting them in milk to take out the toxins".. I don't belive this to be true. Once they are dry, most of the "toxin" (ibotenic Acid) has already been converted thus putting them in milk would do nothing.

Cypher - Fly Agaric are common all over the UK, they grow with silver birch and pine, so I'm sure you could find them in N. Ireland if you looked hard enough.

OfflineAjoc
Re: Amanita Preparation [Re: Sin Bad]
    #2004736 - 10/13/03 08:29 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

And now is a good time to look...

Thanks Sin Bad... I will get my friend to check for any signs of mould.

Anno - I have read the shroomery's information but a lot is "way over my head" scientific stuff and the history of their use - both of which are interesting but there are few plain english accounts of how to prepare them, and every account tells a different way/contradicts another!

InvisibleXenophobic
Stranger

#2005051 - 10/13/03 11:35 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

The "milk thing" is aload of bollocks to put it politely. In the old days it was a custom to break up the caps and put them in milk to attract flies, resulting in them dying from the toxins.

Hence the name... Fly Agaric

It's like Chinese whispers, one person tells someone a fact and by the time that person tells someone else and so on to the 1000th person, it is no longer a fact but a story ending up like "You have to boil it in milk".

As to method of eating them I'de suggest swallowing "one" medium sized cap whole (they shrink alot with the drying process, you can also up the dosage with experience, but don't). You may puke it back up after a while but that won't heed the effects, believe me. This was the most used method of early northern shamans aswell.

"One person I spoke to on here said the oven technique was rubbish"

That were me. I was referring to using the oven method of pouring the sweaty juice back onto the shrooms. That is rubbish, it's not necessary at all.

But by all means you can dry them in the oven.

--------------------
Only will man realise, when he cuts down the last tree, that he cannot eat money

OfflineAjoc
Re: Amanita Preparation [Re: Xenophobic]
    #2005192 - 10/13/03 12:18 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Hey again Xenophobic  :laugh:

>You may puke it back up after a while but that won't heed the effects, believe me.

nice, haha.

I asked my friend just now about how dry they are.

vitamin enhanced ozric tentacles says:
haha how crunchy are our fly agarics?
MISFIT says:
crispy not quite ready

Yum yum.

We have a human guinea pig, too...

And about the oven thing, thats what i mean, there is so much rubbish online about amanitas and myths I have no idea what to believe...what about all the people who make it into powder, drink the sweat, peel them, boil them, oven heat them, eat them fresh etc...too many variations.

To me looks like their is a gap here to be filled by some motivated individuals...

InvisibleXenophobic
Stranger

#2005209 - 10/13/03 12:23 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

I know, I remember reading once that the effects were enhanced by shoving one up your arse. Stupidity or what. Try it though and tell us the effects! haha (not!).

Oh and in reference to the puking. It's not like puke your guts up time, it's mostly just the mushroom that comes back up. If it happens at all that is.

--------------------
Only will man realise, when he cuts down the last tree, that he cannot eat money

Offlinegarbage

#2020840 - 10/18/03 03:32 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

how do i know which ones are edible and not? is there some kind of guide? also, the amanita from bbb edible?

--------------------
  Vaporbrothers :smile:

InvisibleXenophobic
Stranger

Re: Amanita Preparation [Re: garbage]
    #2021481 - 10/18/03 09:31 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Well it seems like your heart is set on acquiring Muscaria from BBB (judging by your last post in another thread), so see what you think when you receive it. And as far as...

"how do i know which ones are edible and not?"

This thread is dedicated to Muscaria, (the only active Amanita), but if you're interested in edibility of the Amanita genus then I would stop right now. Either quit the idea or do some serious reasearch, some members of this genus can kill you and it's not a pleasent way of going either.

As to guides, all I can say is... books, internet, books, internet, books, internet.

If you are after "Edible" fungi I would stay far away from Amanitas.

--------------------

Offlinegarbage

#2021572 - 10/18/03 10:10 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

thanks, didnt mean edible in the sense of eating for hunger.

--------------------
  Vaporbrothers :smile:

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
Re: Amanita Preparation [Re: garbage]
    #2022131 - 10/19/03 05:16 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Xenophobic, the flies never died from eating the amanita and sugar mixtures. they got stoned and fell to the floor or table. if you don't swat them, then a few hours later they regain consiousness, get up, or wake up and then fly away.

And there are several active speices of Amanita besides muscaria.

A. pantherina is ten times more active than A. muscaria , one of several species which also contains large amounts of ibotenic acid and muscimole which are the active ingredients.

A. regalis is another and there are several var. of the formosa variety.

mj

mj

Edited by mjshroomer (10/19/03 05:22 AM)

InvisibleXenophobic
Stranger

Re: Amanita Preparation [Re: mjshroomer]
    #2022548 - 10/19/03 11:46 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Hi mj,

I know their's the panther cap etc, I meant "only active amanita" that is safe or well.. the safest to try. Going around eating panthers would be asking for trouble.

That's interesting about the flies getting "stoned" and having to be swatted. I always took it as it attracted them and they ended up in the milk, (a bit like a wasp in a pot of jam) resulting in the fly being disorientated by the toxins and therefore drowned in the milk.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Amanita Muscaria Store Amanita Extract   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures