Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleLazerouth
Drunkard

Loc: England
organic vs. hydro
    #1999588 - 10/11/03 04:54 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

I grow organicly but I've been hearing alot about hydroponics recently. Which is better for your plants?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblezeta
Stranger

Re: organic vs. hydro [Re: Lazerouth]
    #1999589 - 10/11/03 04:55 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Cant you have organic hydro?

Offlinegtivr6mk4
dankaholic

Loc: earth
Re: organic vs. hydro [Re: zeta]
    #2000542 - 10/11/03 03:53 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

yes.... I think a passive hydro system can yeild the best results (ie: healthy plants w/o the harshness of an active hydro system)

When I think of organic, I assume you are using a soil mix with only organic nutrients. This is fine, but your plant can make use of additional non-organic nutritional supplements to grow bigger, stronger, and healthier. I'm not saying to go out and buy some miracle grow... that's the WRONG kind of chemicals.

As far as passive vs active hydroponics: If you were to lighten your soil up by adding vermiculite, perlite, etc.... it would become neccasary to feed your plants almost every day depending on the tempurature and light intake. This would be a passive system as opposed to an active system like an ebb and flow set up or nutrient film technique(NFT) Either way you need to learn what your plants need in terms of nutrients, and provide the nutrients, either in organic supplaments or in chemical form, to your plants.

InvisibleStarter
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: Australia
    #2001539 - 10/12/03 12:05 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

hydro allows an optimum root zone temp of 22C so chelates are always available.

Furthermore, you can with TDS/EC/CF/PPM meters keep the salts at optimum level with a once a day top up or use an automated delivery system, i.e. a DoseTronic L by NZ hydroponics. Studies by CSIRO conclude that plants will draw on salts even in lights-off period and on an individual basis too. Only in hydro can the nutrient regime be kept at optimum because it's unlikely many people will have heated benches for soil culture pots, when a fish tank heater in a hydro rez will do it all much cheaper.

You can also use organics in hydro and that can vary from worm castings tea to aquaponics (carp/goldfish in the rez) to the use of organic sea acids in use with chemical chelates (BIo Mix) or use an organic component in addition to any hydro nute, such as Budswell or Montsabud. Organics are good to use, there are at least 50 elements plants do use in natural soil. They will all impact on health, vigor and finally taste as well as yield.

Hydro should not be harsh in the finish and one way to achive that is to run 2 or even 3 CF points below the recommended strength. Growth IME is the same, without margin curl. Then allow a whole week of running on neat tap water. Then it won't crack, snap and pop in the bowl.

If I were indoors, I would go hydro because of the higher cost per square unit...hydro delivers more. If I was outdoors (where the sun is free so unit input is cheap) I would use the techniques of permaculture coupled with moderate use of chemical ferts.

--------------------
Convert Metric and Imperial.

OfflinePsilocybeingzz
Male User Gallery

Loc: International waters
Re: organic vs. hydro [Re: Starter]
    #2001562 - 10/12/03 12:21 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

you can do hydro ORGANICALLY!!

anyway......I used to say SOIL all the way and I will never touch hydro......well now after reading alot more about hydro

I CANT WAIT TO SET UP SOME DWC BUCKETS!!!!!!(bubbles)

these things are so simple it scares me!

and as for the CHEM vs ORGANIC debate

there isnt IMO, cause organics are ALWAYS BETTER, not even tomatos should be grown with harsh chem, but you dont smoke tomatos

and if you DONT think that chems are serious
read read and READ some more cause once you understand the way they work(breaking down form something called ....plounium226(not plutonium something else)to lead210 etc etc etc
real nasty stuff!!!!

http://www.cannabisculture.com/articles/2673.html
check out osmocote!!!!!mmmmmmm
not something I want to be smoking!!!!
http://www.cannabisculture.com/articles/2221.html

if there is something LEFT in you BOWL AFTER the buds are GONE

you are smoking chemy shwag kids

--------------------

Offlinegtivr6mk4
dankaholic

Re: organic vs. hydro [Re: Psilocybeingzz]
    #2001864 - 10/12/03 02:51 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

dude... everything is made of chemicals.... even you and me.

Just b/c the organic chemicals come from a natural source doesn't mean that they are any better. Just b/c the man made chemicals aren't natural doesn't mean they are better either. Giving your plant the proper nutrients, and leaving out all the stuff they don't need is what makes them healthy.

OfflinePsilocybeingzz
Male User Gallery

Re: organic vs. hydro [Re: gtivr6mk4]
    #2001881 - 10/12/03 03:19 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

you can say everything is made of chemicals ALL you want!
I LIKE SOIL AND HYDRO!, but NON ORGANIC FERTS ARE HIGHLY ........

RADIOACTIVE, I know you know what that word means but but you realize that even "flushed" chemical bud contains heavy metals and those metals have a hell of alot of radiation????

and why cling to harsh chems????, as a bud smoker do you ever sit there stoned and marvle at how nature works, and its all conected, and that doesnt just sound cool, but its true

wether hyrdo or soil I say go ORGANIC

and with organic soil you get trace minerals,we are talking about plant health here right

I think that hydro is cool(organic) but chem hydro should be for the same thing as chem roses , decoration, not consumption

--------------------

OfflineDiMiTriSouljah
No left turn unstoned
 User Gallery

Loc: ked in a Skin Pinata
    #2001886 - 10/12/03 03:25 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Radium226 breaks down into polonium210 and lead210, you are a fool to say that all non-organic fertilizers break down into radioactive by-products. Perhaps it is you that should be doing the reading. Stop spreading lies.

--------------------
In the end, my friend, we will all be together again.

Offlinegtivr6mk4
dankaholic

Re: organic vs. hydro [Re: DiMiTriSouljah]
    #2001999 - 10/12/03 06:22 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

thanks for backing me up!

Also, most quality nutrient solutions you'll find at any grow shop contain the micro-nutrients in addition to the main N-P-K.

Ask yourself... if you ate a vitamin or a bowl of Total every day, would you be healthier?  My opinion... hell yes!  Would you be healthier than someone who has a good diet and eats their fruits and vegitables every day?  I still think so(even if not by much) just b/c it is hard to get every thing you need just from organics.  To get enough of one nutrient you might have to take way more than enough of some other nutrient which is just going to be wasted.

It is, IMO, far easier to fine tune a non-organic nutrient solution to your plants specific needs.  That's not to say it can't be done w/organics.  And my final argument for chem/aginst organics... that bat guano stinks! :laugh: 

OfflinePsilocybeingzz
Male User Gallery

#2002095 - 10/12/03 07:58 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

"Radium226 breaks down into polonium210 and lead210, you are a fool to say that all non-organic fertilizers break down into radioactive by-products. Perhaps it is you that should be doing the reading. Stop spreading lies."
well then genius explain??????

when they mine for the P they get uranium!!!!!

--------------------

OfflinePsilocybeingzz
Male User Gallery

#2002096 - 10/12/03 07:59 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

and tell me where most chemical N comes from?

--------------------

OfflineDiMiTriSouljah
No left turn unstoned
 User Gallery

#2002107 - 10/12/03 08:10 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

I never claimed to be a genius, but I also don't post complete bullshit and try to pass it off as fact.

Explain what?

"BUT NON-ORGANIC FERTS ARE HIGHLY...RADIOACTIVE"
implying that all inorganic fertilizers are highly radioactive...which they aren't...prove me wrong.

Don't set up little test questions for me that could have a ten page essay written about them just to try to dupe people into believing you actually know something.

--------------------

InvisibleStarter
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: Australia
    #2002162 - 10/12/03 09:11 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

gtivr6mk4 said:
It is, IMO, far easier to fine tune a non-organic nutrient solution to your plants specific needs. That's not to say it can't be done w/organics.

Very true, it takes far more skill to make a balanced organic blend media (been there done that) than to use inert media and run hydro chelates. In open beds, it's simple as worms do the job. Just feed them straw.

Quote:

Psilocybeingzz said:
as a bud smoker do you ever sit there stoned and marvle at how nature works, and its all conected, and that doesnt just sound cool, but its true

Spare me the hippie-in-tune-with-nature-bullshit, go start a permaculture veggie garden and then come back. I don't need to get drugged to ponder the dynamics of nature.

Hydro nutes on the other hand are cornflakes out of the packet. Make a benchmark based on ml to lt rates stated to growth regime/s on label and take a CF reading. Stick to 2 to 3 points below that reading and you'll never get nute burn (margin curl), flush a week before chop and you'll have a great result. It will cure smooth.

NFT hydro, over 7lb. Pity my digital is still in for repairs, got some Belladonna atm with pink hairs, very pretty. Hardly scwhagg Psilocybeingzz.

--------------------
Convert Metric and Imperial.

OfflineDiMiTriSouljah
No left turn unstoned
 User Gallery

Re: organic vs. hydro [Re: Starter]
    #2002200 - 10/12/03 09:49 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Wow!!  That is fucking beautiful!  Good job, man!  :eek:

--------------------

Offlinegtivr6mk4
dankaholic

#2002371 - 10/12/03 12:02 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

That is nice! How many watts and what kind of lights are hanging over that NFT system?

InvisibleLazerouth
Drunkard

#2003170 - 10/12/03 06:21 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Please don't argue you are upsetting my plants.

That belladonna strain pisses me off to no end. I search for information on growing atropa and all I get is cannabis.

Well I think I am going to try making some hydro stuff for an expiriment. Normally I put plenty of worms in my pots but I suppose I could purchase castings instead. This fishy thing sounds very interesting. you just let them live in there so they poop on your plants for you?

InvisibleLazerouth
Drunkard

#2003178 - 10/12/03 06:22 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

p.s. nice plants mate

OfflinePsilocybeingzz
Male User Gallery

#2003978 - 10/12/03 11:07 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

"Spare me the hippie-in-tune-with-nature-bullshit, go start a permaculture veggie garden and then come back. I don't need to get drugged to ponder the dynamics of nature."

all I meant was a natural enviroment for your plants keeps them happy

chemical grown buds even when flushed are TOXIC, sorry but radiation is just that RADIATION, and its not small ammount either , I KNOW as many of you must that there is radiation everywhere but in chemical pot like tobacco its high

--------------------

OfflineDiMiTriSouljah
No left turn unstoned
 User Gallery

#2004103 - 10/12/03 11:45 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Care to cite a source? A reliable one...?

--------------------

OfflinePsilocybeingzz
Male User Gallery

#2004112 - 10/12/03 11:48 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck