Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineLysergic_1968
Ego-killer
Loc: The Seventh Circle of Hel...
Grow Bags
    #1995723 - 10/09/03 11:41 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Hypothetical situation:

4 sterile pre-mixed substrate bags with built in air filter and self healing injection site ordered from a respectable company via the Internet. Dimensions 18" x 4" x 3", substrate filled about 4 inches up. 12 cc syringe of Puerto Rican spores distributed evenly througout the 4 bags using sterile techniques. Basically a lazyman's grow kit, supposedly almost completely foolproof. My question is, what do you think potential yields will be, given they will be kept mostly in darkness at around 80 degrees F, and approximately how long will it take from inoculation to cessation of harvest? I am very interested in the growth process itself and will be watching it eagerly, but I was just wondering if some experienced growers could give me some basic ideas of what to expect as far as yields and time tables etc. Thanks. :cool: 

--------------------
"Turn on, tune in, drop out." --Dr. Timothy Leary

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblemicro
bunbun has a gungun
Male User Gallery

Loc: Brick City
Re: Grow Bags [Re: Lysergic_1968]
    #1995733 - 10/09/03 11:46 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

My guess:

In the bag: two ounces

casing: a half pound, dry

spawning into straw: unlimited

Of course, this is pretty ideal so you'll probably get less. Depends on how ell it turns out. That's about its potential, though.

--
Micro

--------------------
Any research paper or book for free
(Avatar is Maxxy, a character by Mizzyam, RIP)

OfflineLysergic_1968
Ego-killer
Re: Grow Bags [Re: micro]
    #1995778 - 10/10/03 12:00 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

2 ounces, eh? Not bad. Yes, I was thinking of growing just in the bags, as space and time do not allow for casing. Temperature will remain relatively stable (76-80 degrees F). They would receive some light, though not a significant amount. And if anyone could give me some general ideas on how long colonization would take from inoculation to fruiting, and how long the fruiting period would last, this would also be greatly appreciated.

--------------------

OfflineBoobylip
Seeker ofShrooms

Loc: Afgahnistan
    #1995793 - 10/10/03 12:06 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

I got the same bag as you, and inncoulated excatly 7 days ago.
Right now I'm barely seeing any mycelium growth. However I got the B+ strain. The tempature that mine is at is abou 70'F. And I think that since I live in California the spore syringe that I got sent might have not had very many spores in it or none at all and the growth that I barely see might be some kind of contam even though that is supposed to be impossible. Let me know how yours is doing after a couple of days.

By the way does anyone know where I can get some GOOD spore syringes shipped to California, I will pay well. I have Paypal as well. So hard to get spore here.

OfflineLysergic_1968
Ego-killer
Re: Grow Bags [Re: Boobylip]
    #1995829 - 10/10/03 12:22 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Well I answered my own question about time tables by taking the time to read the guidlines for the bags (duh, haha). Apparently the bags take anywhere from 2-4 weeks to colonize fully, and will fruit for several weeks after that. Boobylip I have heard that spores are illegal to possess in Cali, but I could be mistaken. If you are unable to find a supplier that will deliver to you, you could always ask around for a spore print or someone with fresh shrooms, which you can use to make your own spore prints. You can then buy the syringes cheap from (I actually don't know where the hell you get these) and make your own syringes. It's a little more trouble but it might be your only shot. As far as my grow, I haven't started it yet. Inoculation is scheduled to take place sometime late next week. I'll keep you posted.

--------------------

OfflineBoobylip
Seeker ofShrooms

Loc: Afgahnistan
    #1995846 - 10/10/03 12:36 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Yea they are illegal in California. And its not as easy for me to find someone that has fresh shrooms. I've had people and websites offer to send it to me anyway, and I tried one website, but the syringe came with no visible spores at all. I thought I might as well try it, and I did. So something is growing so I'm not sure. It would be great if you could keep me posted.

Good luck man!

OfflineLysergic_1968
Ego-killer
Re: Grow Bags [Re: Boobylip]
    #1995853 - 10/10/03 12:42 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

I have heard of companies sometimes selling "clear" spore syringes. This does not always mean there are no spores at all in the syringe. Remember, spores are microscopic. When you see clumps of dark stuff floating in spore syrignes, those are thousands to millions of spores clumped together. The syringe you got prolly just contains lower concentrations of spores. You could prolly make up for this by injecting more than you normally would into the bags, but as long as there are SOME spores in the syringe you should see some growth, though it might be a little bit slower. Just stick with it, give them atleast a month and a half before giving up. Keep me posted how yours does as well, I've been looking for success stories with grow bags.

--------------------

OfflineRoseM
Devil's Advocate
Female User Gallery

Loc: Mod not God Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #1995870 - 10/10/03 12:50 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

--------------------
Fiddlesticks.

Edited by Rose (10/10/03 12:57 AM)

OfflineRoseM
Devil's Advocate
Female User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Grow Bags [Re: Rose]
    #1995902 - 10/10/03 01:05 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

This guy I've known, Don Quixote, is growing b+ in four mycobags. He has a few tips for you.

After inoculation, BE SURE to mush the substrate until it is as airy as potting soil. Spread it around a lot. The first time, you are usually too timid and think the mycobag isn't as strong as it realy is. Feel free to spread the substrate a good deal more than your better judgement implies you should.

It may take 3 or 4 weeks to see signs of growth. Once you do see colonization, it will take 2-4 weeks to colonize fully. This part of the incubation of a mycobag isn't properly advertized.

A watched pot never boils. A watched bag never grows. Don Quixote finds that if you check your bags every 3-4 days until you see colonization, time will seem to go by MUCH more quickly. Once you see growth, feel free to check the bags regularly. You'll be amazed at how fast it colonizes. You'll see growth every few hours.

DQ says: Don't worry about too much light. The beauty of growing invitro is you can watch your little guys grow. Feel free to put your mycobags out on display once in a while.

Expect vastly different results from each bag but they should average out to about 1/2 oz dry each. If you grow them in the bag.

Birthing to a cake could increase yeild 100% and might not take too much space. Perhaps you could try birthing one bag and comparing results. Don Quixote is crunced for space too but he likes to experiment. He's had some hair brained schemes.

Sometimes you will have a bag that shows no signs of growth whatsoever after 3 or 4 weeks. Be sure to save a couple cc's of spores in case you need to re inoculate. Only re innoculate if you see no signs of growth in a bag or two a couple of weeks after the first bags grow.

Finally Don asked me to tell you, the first sign of growth is often gas in the bag. Make sure to allow the bag to stand straight up once it begins to inflate so air can exchange. Once you do this, the bag will inflate rather quickly making it easier to view, and move your bags.

--------------------
Fiddlesticks.

OfflineLysergic_1968
Ego-killer
    #1997837 - 10/10/03 03:27 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Update: From what I've read, while the mycobag method is nearly foolproof, it takes significantly longer to colonize fully than does the jar/PF tek method. I have for the moment decided to use all 12 cc of spore solution on one bag to speed along colonization, as I have a narrow window in which to COMPLETE the entire grow (just shy of 2 months). As I have already ordered 4 bags, the other 3 will go unused for now. My question is, what are some estimates as to how long these bags will keep for (ie. remain sterile and retain necessary moisture), given they will be kept close to room temperature in average humidity? If loss of moisture within the bags is a problem, I could add sterile water whenever I get around to using them, but my main concern is how long the bags will remain sterile for. In the meantime, I'm hoping that using all of the spores on one bag will allow for faster colonization and fruiting. I just hope my yield won't be too low since I'm only using one bag. 2-4 ounces would be perfect, but I'd be happy with 1/2-1. I'll keep you all posted, thanks for the tips Cervantes. Later.

--------------------

OfflineRoseM
Devil's Advocate
Female User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #1998116 - 10/10/03 04:52 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

10cc may add too much water to the substrate. Don't use more than 5 cc.

You can't add water until colonized or you will need to re sterilize.

The grain only absorbs the water when is hot you see...

--------------------
Fiddlesticks.

OfflineLysergic_1968
Ego-killer
    #1999094 - 10/11/03 12:13 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Thanks for the warning, I prolly would've put all 12 cc in otherwise. I just hope that I will atleast be harvesting SOMETHING before the 2 months is up. Wish me luck. Peace.

--------------------

OfflineRoseM
Devil's Advocate
Female User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #1999367 - 10/11/03 02:11 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Definately. Good luck. It'll be close. Incubate at the correct temp and mash the substrate when suggested. You'll increase your odds for a speedy grow.

Honestly, I've seen the fastest results from 2-2.5cc even though that goes against common knowledge. I've seen slow growth from bags inoculated woth more than 2.5cc. This is hardly scientific.

Your other three bags should be fine. Just keep them as compact as they were shipped and they'll keep for, at least, 3-6 months. I imagine you could even ziplock them in the fridge if you wanted.

--------------------
Fiddlesticks.

OfflineLysergic_1968
Ego-killer
    #2001006 - 10/11/03 06:59 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Thanks man, I'll keep my fingers crossed. I'll put updates in here from time to time. Later.

--------------------

Offlinenonwo
truth seeker
Male

Loc: southern usa
    #8758060 - 08/11/08 01:07 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

i just injected 2.5 cc hope it works great were do u start a grow log?

--------------------
yellow red black and white cometogether as humans and fallow the path the creater intended

InvisibleTheMadSeasonV
Bagger

Loc: Flag
Re: Grow Bags [Re: nonwo]
    #8758323 - 08/11/08 01:59 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

This thread is almost 5 years old. Good information from Cervantes though.

--------------------
www.TheMadSeason.com

We offer: grow bags, grain spawn bags, filter patch mycobags, petri dishes, syringes & needles, liquid culture lids, syringe filters, filter discs, jar lid gaskets, injection ports, Let's Grow Mushrooms DVD's and MORE!!!

Shroomery Members get a 10% discount by using the coupon code shroomery during checkout!

NOW OFFERING PF TEK REFILL KITS!

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck